test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Queues/TFOs, and why most of them don't get played

Comments

• sleel43sleel43 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    Cause most of them were tedious TRIBBLE waste of times you could spend doing something else more productive? But rather then make them fun and productive we get them rammed down our throats.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    "Carry" is actually your word for it.

I call it over running everyone else on your team. It is not fun being shown up. To do be unproductive when one or two is taking over the map. And it is not right, either. That is selfish. It is, also, being a bad team player. When you are on a team, you don't leave people behind because they need to "git gud".

Being unaware of what those around you are doing, whether you are cleaning up, or not...not good in a team environment. You are NOT teaching teaming when you "carry" anyone.

Most people will NOT "git gud" after having that experience, they would rather play by themselves.

Then to put the icing on the cake...being belittled or bullied for it. That does not contribute to creating a good atmosphere in the game. To retain players, you need to create a "safer place" and a "family friendly" way. Is any of this starting to sound familiar...sink in...anything??? Yeah, I thought it might.

THAT is the world Cryptic has to do business in, these days.

This is not just in the game chat, either, where you need to watch yourselves. It is in the way you express yourselves in the forums, in your You Tube videos.

There may be a subset of gamer guys who "take to" that sort of stuff, but most adults do not. They don't even want to talk to people who speak to them like this, much less ASK you for help with anything. YOU won't even talk to people who back talk to you...for heaven's sakes....how do you think they feel when they get a rash of TRIBBLE from you?

I think Cryptic should give AFK to players who ignore other players in their team. Not to players who try. How does that stick in your craw? Keep you guys at bay so other players can try it without you and learn something for a change.

Then the game may be more fun, for more people, and they will stick around longer. They stick around longer, then they may even try to catch up to where you are.

And Cryptic, if you are still reading this thread....consider putting a cap on the amount of Critical hits and Critical damage.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    I am sure some of you have been on Tribble. They are adding the STFs into the MISSION JOURNAL. It will no longer be something separated by a player's level. That is going on line with tomorrow's patch, right???

The convo about "How does one apply team work to STFs?" "What is the best way to complete objectives in such and such queue?" is going to become much more relevant. Veterans wondering why they don't approach the queues any more, that important?

I don't know how the random TFOs is going to work with Veterans mixing with new players while actually doing the queues.

Because really...what good does it do to have Veteran "carry" players....players who are at the point where they want to learn this stuff? You know: What good is it for Veterans to over run the map when new players need the practice? And not to mention all those folks giving new players such rude "welcomes" in the chat and leaving them with no clue as to what went south.

There is a window of opportunity to create a new player that has an understanding of "how the game can be played" with the knowledge base you all have...but afraid they will be over run by people acting badly and thinking selfishly.

I am not sure why Cryptic is setting the scene for the most uneven and unhealthy competition, ever.

but don't you know? the proponents of this clusterfrack say such abuse does not exist. it only happened to me 4 out of 5 times. the only queues I play are th RAs(no more) CC and the mirror invasion. even then, I get TRIBBLE because I actually do what you need to do, like close rifts instead of whatever the other plaer thought i SHOULD be doing in a science ship...
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    I am sure some of you have been on Tribble. They are adding the STFs into the MISSION JOURNAL. It will no longer be something separated by a player's level. That is going on line with tomorrow's patch, right???

The convo about "How does one apply team work to STFs?" "What is the best way to complete objectives in such and such queue?" is going to become much more relevant. Veterans wondering why they don't approach the queues any more, that important?

I don't know how the random TFOs is going to work with Veterans mixing with new players while actually doing the queues.

Because really...what good does it do to have Veteran "carry" players....players who are at the point where they want to learn this stuff? You know: What good is it for Veterans to over run the map when new players need the practice? And not to mention all those folks giving new players such rude "welcomes" in the chat and leaving them with no clue as to what went south.

There is a window of opportunity to create a new player that has an understanding of "how the game can be played" with the knowledge base you all have...but afraid they will be over run by people acting badly and thinking selfishly.

I am not sure why Cryptic is setting the scene for the most uneven and unhealthy competition, ever.

but don't you know? the proponents of this clusterfrack say such abuse does not exist. it only happened to me 4 out of 5 times. the only queues I play are th RAs(no more) CC and the mirror invasion. even then, I get **** because I actually do what you need to do, like close rifts instead of whatever the other plaer thought i SHOULD be doing in a science ship...
    Well, I rarely see anyone say anything at all in pugs. Maybe the occasiona "hi" or "gg" that everyone else ignores. Even the complainers are mostly limited to Mirror season and the eternal controversy about the optionals.

In any case, people cursing at randos in pugs are not worth listening to. Put them on ignore if it bothers you. Personally I just laugh.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Yeah, I pretty much laughed the one time someone was trolling me in a MI several years ago, which I didn't even see till the match was over.

I was on station duty when it started getting swamped and keeping a lot of the aggro off it and some idiot decided to say I sucked and to look at them, neither of which I saw since I was busy.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    sleel43 wrote: »
    Cause most of them were tedious **** waste of times you could spend doing something else more productive? But rather then make them fun and productive we get them rammed down our throats.

Past Friday I noticed you log in STO forums and pee your opinion over various threads which is of course fine by me. Nevertheless since this thread holds a wider audience than the rest I’m curious if there may be anything more constructive to your input and could perhaps be further elaborated. Or is it that you are finished and just forgot to pull off? :)
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    edited October 2018
    echatty wrote: »
    Yeah, I pretty much laughed the one time someone was trolling me in a MI several years ago, which I didn't even see till the match was over.

I was on station duty when it started getting swamped and keeping a lot of the aggro off it and some idiot decided to say I sucked and to look at them, neither of which I saw since I was busy.

I'm sure of it and it is certainly the best you can do. :)

We play a game where single players can bring like up to 20-50 times of the capability required to conclude an advanced difficulty map. I find it prudent to explore these options before letting my own ill-ability to contribute out onto others.
    animated.gif
    edited October 2018
    Response to moderated post redacted. — StarSword-C
    Post edited by starswordc on
    animated.gif
    edited October 2018
    reyan01 wrote: »

Sure, you might be able to spike the enemies to death before it matters, but there are options.

Hah, seems like that's what I've been doing then. Granted, I haven't tried elite yet, cause my 3 days old toon needs marks and Cryptic in their ingenuity have made advanced pay off better than elite. Will try it one day, soon, however from what I've heard from my fleeties, it didn't pose too big of a challenge to them, doubt they went in with a dedicated healer or something.

Did it only 3 times on Elite so far and as a different map the DPS figures are clearly different from ISA (would say judging form an average L->R run 1/4 to 1/3 less on my energy weapon alts)

If I abstract from that and would need to give an idea for Elite:

- For a Diamond group that map poses no real challenge
    - For a Gold group it is challenging but doable
    - For a Silver group we could look at a serious brawl where the healing of the transports could have high relevance in lack of DPS for critter removal and it may or may not succeed
    - For a Bronze group I’d bet on a certain fail

Of course there is a lot of gut feeling here at place (in light of limited testing) but this map is clearly not on Fez or Gauntlett levels but rather in the HSE, TFE, CPE ec. reach for the build level of a player. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Was considering trying it on Elite, but I shall refrain and stick to Advanced.

That would be too bad. I found the map especially fun with crowd control/epg and torpedo builds and whats there to loose by giving it a try? :)
    animated.gif
    edited October 2018

Sure, you might be able to spike the enemies to death before it matters, but there are options.

Hah, seems like that's what I've been doing then. Granted, I haven't tried elite yet, cause my 3 days old toon needs marks and Cryptic in their ingenuity have made advanced pay off better than elite. Will try it one day, soon, however from what I've heard from my fleeties, it didn't pose too big of a challenge to them, doubt they went in with a dedicated healer or something.

Did it only 3 times on Elite so far and as a different map the DPS figures are clearly different from ISA (would say judging form an average L->R run 1/4 to 1/3 less on my energy weapon alts)

If I abstract from that and would need to give an idea for Elite:

- For a Diamond group that map poses no real challenge
    - For a Gold group it is challenging but doable
    - For a Silver group we could look at a serious brawl where the healing of the transports could have high relevance in lack of DPS for critter removal and it may or may not succeed
    - For a Bronze group I’d bet on a certain fail

Of course there is a lot of gut feeling here at place (in light of limited testing) but this map is clearly not on Fez or Gauntlett levels but rather in the HSE, TFE, CPE ec. reach for the build level of a player. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Was considering trying it on Elite, but I shall refrain and stick to Advanced.

That would be too bad. I found the map especially fun with crowd control/epg and torpedo builds and whats there to loose by giving it a try? :)

Lots of ship injuries and not pulling my weight.

“Pulling weight” is a term I neither like nor use but for what it’s worth the game mechanics of the map are same in elite as they are in advanced. You should have noticed that with the absence of any required team splits we look at some dense interaction much like in ISA or HSE. I know one or two DPSer who might have popped less if a dedicated tank would have been around. Same counts for one or two DPSer who would have likely been more efficient if a crowd controller would have been.

In short, even if you feel you lack some punch for elite there are other ways you can contribute and what should be appreciated by those who bring the punch. As for ship injuries, well you have no idea who I have already seen there tending to those after SB1 runs so don’t worry you’d be in good company.
    animated.gif
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    do you have a maxed-out megawell build? (i believe that's what your nova is set up as, no?) if so, you can easily pull your own weight​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited October 2018
    do you have a maxed-out megawell build? (i believe that's what your nova is set up as, no?) if so, you can easily pull your own weight​​

I think so too and I can’t imagine anybody having reservations if reyan would run SB1 elite in such a setup. ;)
    animated.gif
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Fortunately, with the matchmaking system, the occasions where you could run into overgeared gamebreaking PUG teammates who ruin the fun for everybody except (maybe, possibly) themselves has dropped signifcantly.

Here's a badge for you...
    NXoTWyV.png

...I... I just can't answer to this level of stupidity with anything else.
    edited October 2018
    Fortunately, with the matchmaking system, the occasions where you could run into overgeared gamebreaking PUG teammates who ruin the fun for everybody except (maybe, possibly) themselves has dropped signifcantly.

NXoTWyV.png

Sounds good to me! Considering the number of times I encounter catastrophically under-geared players who could not interact with a map even if they wanted to has increased drastically (not that I mind them at all) I take it as a hint that the new system is working fine. :D
    animated.gif
    Random TFO's do not seem to be actually random, but filling up TFO's that are queued by an insufficient amount of people. This means that if you are willing to let go of the Random TFO reward, you can just queue up for a TFO of your choice and have a decent game relatively soon.
    That is what they said it would do. And despite some other people complaining the queues they wanted to play not being filled up by the randos, if the number of times I've been in ISA through the random system is anything to go by, it's working exactly as intended.

patrickngo wrote: »
    since the topic's shifted slightly to Starbase One, a note to caution;

don't take pets. Currently I've had 2 runs that didn't 'bug out' mid run, and those were the only two where someone didn't have fighters, jem'hadar wingman, or saucer seperation pets (or aceton assimilators, mines, gravitic anchors, etc.)

It's like a replay of the bug that was hitting the Sompek ground map when it first released (and made most engineer builds almost impossible to play on that map.)

Pets and other zone-control force multipliers do something with the spawns that makes them NOT SPAWN, preventing the map from advancing.

Oh yea, I noticed that too. Thanks for the reminder.
    animated.gif
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    well, it isn't regular hangar pets causing it...at least not the ones i use, because i get many runs that finish just fine even with pets still active (which is pretty impressive, given the shared fragility of all fighters and the density of enemies all the way to the end)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User

NXoTWyV.png

Sounds good to me! Considering the number of times I encounter catastrophically under-geared players who could not interact with a map even if they wanted to has increased drastically (not that I mind them at all) I take it as a hint that the new system is working fine. :D

NOT working fine, if as happened this weekend, a casual player gets into a TFO with one or more DPS-ers who kill the map in less than 60 seconds, and I get stuck with ZERO marks and an AFK ban for "not contributing enough" to the mission :s I had a Mk XIV-equipped ship with lots of buffs, killed a few targets , and next thing I know, the mission's already over; if players are so maxed that they can kill everything despite the nanite spheres, and take all the marks in Advanced, then there is no reason for me to play ANY random TFO... EVER! What happened to the system automatically lessening the disparity between players, so that even low-level players can make some marks in the random queues?
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013

NXoTWyV.png

NOT working fine, if as happened this weekend, a casual player gets into a TFO with one or more DPS-ers who kill the map in less than 60 seconds, and I get stuck with ZERO marks and an AFK ban for "not contributing enough" to the mission :s I had a Mk XIV-equipped ship with lots of buffs, killed a few targets , and next thing I know, the mission's already over; if players are so maxed that they can kill everything despite the nanite spheres, and take all the marks in Advanced, then there is no reason for me to play ANY random TFO... EVER! What happened to the system automatically lessening the disparity between players, so that even low-level players can make some marks in the random queues?
    Nothing happened to it. No such system has ever existed.

The competitive queues have a system that (allegedly) sorts the players into the opposing teams in some (supposedly) even way. Only the competitive queues. What effect it actually has, if any, is to my knowledge largely unexplored.
This discussion has been closed.