test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is ability: Mainframe Virus?

protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
When I was on ESD last weekend at the shipyard a science player using two different abilities caught my eye. One was Nanite Health Monitor and the other was very similar looking with the player's tag showing it as "Mainframe Virus". The bubble effect was close to NHM but a different color. I can't seem to find any reference to this ability. Is this something new? My main is a science toon so naturally I'm curious. Here's a photo of it.

yQMBaB1.jpg

(the player's name, fleet, title, and face have been obscured to comply with forum rules) (I am the green alien head at bottom just right of center)

Best Answer

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Mainframe Virus is the map-specific buff from the Shanty Town PvP Map, where you pick up a glowy and then try to carry it to the enemy base. Someone has apparently picked up the glowy, but then left the map without actually delivering the glowy.
    Good sir, you get a gold star. I haven't been on that map for years and only a couple times. Not enough to figure out much aside from trying to stay alive. Thanks for shedding some light on this which for most is forgotten knowledge.

Answers

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    Doesn't ring a bell. Could it be this: https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Logic_Bomb
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    questerius wrote: »
    Doesn't ring a bell. Could it be this: https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Logic_Bomb
    That's a great guess. Gave a kit module a try and true to it's description Logic Bomb's animation is a one shot short duration burst whereas Mainframe Virus seems to be an ability over time with a duration of over 5:35 min. The players appearance is interesting as well. He seems brighter than the rest of us.
    Not much in the way of responses so will attempt to answer my own question. If there isn't an ability called Mainframe Virus available to players then the mysterious person most likely wasn't a player, but an employee. You don't see this sort of thing in-game too often, but it wouldn't be the first time for me at least. This was my first guess when I saw it, but thought I'd put up a post in case I missed a new science ability.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    For what it's worth, I searched around for an answer and came up blank.

I have never seen that before and can't find any other mention of it anywhere.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Mainframe Virus is the map-specific buff from the Shanty Town PvP Map, where you pick up a glowy and then try to carry it to the enemy base. Someone has apparently picked up the glowy, but then left the map without actually delivering the glowy.

Thanks.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.