test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO: Age of Discovery - Excited YEAH/NAY

12425262830

Comments

  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @talonxv said:
    > Also no offense to who brought up Axanar again, but how is it early on in the thread I brought up a comparison to Axanar and I got so burned felt like I was in the heart of a sun. Now it gets brought up and its a nice friendly comparison. Guess the white knights gave up.

    I've got no idea who you think is making "a nice friendly comparison" but there was nothing good about the scam known as Axanar. Peters never had a script, at any time, and as multiple people who worked on Axanar (such as Tony Todd) would later reveal that was only the start of his lies. The whole thing was just a scam to use Trek fans to fund Peters's studio, it deserves to be burned buried and forgotten like the trash it is.

    It couldn't have been said better.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,515 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @talonxv said:
    > Also no offense to who brought up Axanar again, but how is it early on in the thread I brought up a comparison to Axanar and I got so burned felt like I was in the heart of a sun. Now it gets brought up and its a nice friendly comparison. Guess the white knights gave up.

    I've got no idea who you think is making "a nice friendly comparison" but there was nothing good about the scam known as Axanar. Peters never had a script, at any time, and as multiple people who worked on Axanar (such as Tony Todd) would later reveal that was only the start of his lies. The whole thing was just a scam to use Trek fans to fund Peters's studio, it deserves to be burned buried and forgotten like the trash it is.

    Yet the prelude impressed me more than Disco has, same for the 1st two JJ films.
    Something was done right, I think.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,252 Arc User
    > @azrael605 said:
    > > @talonxv said:
    > > Also no offense to who brought up Axanar again, but how is it early on in the thread I brought up a comparison to Axanar and I got so burned felt like I was in the heart of a sun. Now it gets brought up and its a nice friendly comparison. Guess the white knights gave up.
    >
    > I've got no idea who you think is making "a nice friendly comparison" but there was nothing good about the scam known as Axanar. Peters never had a script, at any time, and as multiple people who worked on Axanar (such as Tony Todd) would later reveal that was only the start of his lies. The whole thing was just a scam to use Trek fans to fund Peters's studio, it deserves to be burned buried and forgotten like the trash it is.

    Look I am talking STYLE and LOOK not business.

    I am not going to defend business wise what Peters did cause he did indeed TRIBBLE over fan productions and made CBS do those draconian rules. I do not disagree one bit on that.

    However what Peters did do style wise for Axanar, looks IMHO FAR superior to DSC and actually looks like it belongs 10 years before the events of TOS.

    Hell I'll go 1 further. Most of the designs in DSC are not too bad on the Fed side. Most of my issue is, for me they don't fit in that time line. As I've said before most of those designs feel like TMP era 20-30 years later, not TOS. But with a few changes, even Discovery herself could EASILY feel like a design that fits in between ENT and TOS, but for some reason I cannot fathom, the designers didn't do it.

    That's how I feel about DSC, either move it to TMP era, or slide the designs on the Fed side to look more like the Cage.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,252 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > talonxv wrote: »
    >
    > But with a few changes, even Discovery herself could EASILY feel like a design that fits in between ENT and TOS, but for some reason I cannot fathom, the designers didn't do it.
    >
    >
    >
    > Generally speaking, in scifi, and even many fantasy series, its considered a stupid move to intentionally try to design things to fit in with how they looked in media a decade or more ago, since people's idea of what the future, or even good fantasy, constantly changes, so too much you change the style of things to fit it.
    >
    > This isn't normally a problem in TV shows, since very few TV shows actually have such an extended meta-series like Star Trek does, and are instead one shot shows that last for seven seasons and then are done, with no spin offs or sequels. But if you look at long running video game franchises such as Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Deus Ex, even Doom, they constantly reimagine what basically everything looks like, nearly every single game, even if those games are just 5 years apart, because what is expected of them visually, and design wise, changes a lot in just a short time. This is why newer Dues Ex games look a lot more advanced then the older ones, despite being set before the older ones, and other such things.
    >
    > No one designs to fit in with how things looked in the past because that is incredibly dumb, and none of these series actually treat visuals as canon anyways.
    >
    > This is part of the reason why, I would suspect, that CBS has forced a "25% different" mandate on things Discovery, even when it comes to the Constitution Class.

    Yet they could of done so witha fresh look. Take the touch pads for example. Instead of blue for the keys and such, use red and yellow like the TOS was colored in. Simple things like that.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,252 Arc User
    > @azrael605 said:
    > > @talonxv said:
    > > > @azrael605 said:
    > > > > @talonxv said:
    > > > > Also no offense to who brought up Axanar again, but how is it early on in the thread I brought up a comparison to Axanar and I got so burned felt like I was in the heart of a sun. Now it gets brought up and its a nice friendly comparison. Guess the white knights gave up.
    > > >
    > > > I've got no idea who you think is making "a nice friendly comparison" but there was nothing good about the scam known as Axanar. Peters never had a script, at any time, and as multiple people who worked on Axanar (such as Tony Todd) would later reveal that was only the start of his lies. The whole thing was just a scam to use Trek fans to fund Peters's studio, it deserves to be burned buried and forgotten like the trash it is.
    > >
    > > Look I am talking STYLE and LOOK not business.
    > >
    > > I am not going to defend business wise what Peters did cause he did indeed **** over fan productions and made CBS do those draconian rules. I do not disagree one bit on that.
    > >
    > > However what Peters did do style wise for Axanar, looks IMHO FAR superior to DSC and actually looks like it belongs 10 years before the events of TOS.
    > >
    > > Hell I'll go 1 further. Most of the designs in DSC are not too bad on the Fed side. Most of my issue is, for me they don't fit in that time line. As I've said before most of those designs feel like TMP era 20-30 years later, not TOS. But with a few changes, even Discovery herself could EASILY feel like a design that fits in between ENT and TOS, but for some reason I cannot fathom, the designers didn't do it.
    > >
    > > That's how I feel about DSC, either move it to TMP era, or slide the designs on the Fed side to look more like the Cage.
    >
    > Quite frankly that's idiotic, axanar wasn't even as good as Star Trek Continues and they had the worst acting of all the fan Productions it's pathetic and this idea that you have it somehow you can tell CBS what to do with their property is even more idiotic.

    Ok then go by star trek continues. Frak I don't care. The point is a lot of what Discovery has done doesn't even flow well from Enterprise and sure as hell doesn't flow well into TOS. And a few style changes and it easily could.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,252 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > talonxv wrote: »
    >
    > Yet they could of done so witha fresh look. Take the touch pads for example. Instead of blue for the keys and such, use red and yellow like the TOS was colored in. Simple things like that.
    >
    >
    >
    > Red and Yellow are not colors generally associated with space scifi, and haven't been for some time. Dark blues and other such colors are the modern space scifi colors, and have seen been around the time of enterprise, which also had a blue coloring to its monitors and such.

    I don't care about the rest of Scifi. I care about STAR TREK. And in TOS that this is 10 years before, the motif is reds and yellows. PERIOD.

    Unless this is a full reboot of the series and cannon is now from DSC on and every other series is now no longer cannon.

    And if it's that way just freaking say so and get it over with.

    Otherwise the series seriously needs to flow better into TOS.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    talonxv wrote: »
    I don't care about the rest of Scifi. I care about STAR TREK. And in TOS that this is 10 years before, the motif is reds and yellows. PERIOD.
    10 years ago, my computer was beige. Today, you'd be hard-pressed to find one that isn't black. If your argument is that the colors people like in something can't change over 10 years, it's a really weak argument.
    More so because TOS used pretty much every color of paint they could find. Seriously, for an example, the shuttlebay:
    latest?cb=20180211135534&format=original&path-prefix=en
    What you want the NON-animated version? fine, but it has even less red:
    latest?cb=20111101144719&format=original&path-prefix=en
    Ent-D:
    latest?cb=20121209202934&format=original&path-prefix=en
    Voyager:
    latest?cb=20130211053517&format=original&path-prefix=en
    Discovery:
    latest?cb=20171010222721&format=original&path-prefix=en
    Not much difference in the color schemes really. Honestly the TNG one sticks out the most but that's because it has white walls instead of grey.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • aethon3050aethon3050 Member Posts: 599 Arc User
    Nope. I tried watching TRIBBLE, confident that it would improve after the first couple episodes, but I couldn't even make myself finish the first season. I kept hoping it'd get better, but after watching all but the last couple episodes, I just can't sit through any more. Glad I didn't pay CBS for it.

    The fact that we finally got a DS9-centric season was fantastic, and it was very well-done. It really saddens me to see it cut short just so we can all have TRIBBLE shoved down our throats. I certainly hope the TRIBBLE thing is just a marketing phase, and gets just as short a treatment as the Gamma series.

    Maybe the writers at Cryptic can do something palatable with it, and the TRIBBLE stuff won't be terrible in the game. Maybe it will be a skippable story arc. I really hope it goes over well; I'm willing to give it a fair chance, since the decision to put this stuff in the game has already been made, but it's hard to fully express my disappointment.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    No. DSC does not have to look like TOS at all. TOS dosn't look like any other series it's the odd one out. The embarrassing haircut you had in the late 80s.

    DSC has to resemble the consistent Star Trek aesthetic seen from TNG/TWoK all the way to ENT and 09. That means lots of blue, lots of black, and lots of grey. It means complex shapes and dim lighting not spotlights and basic cut outs. It means computers with actual layouts and not ridiculous jellybean controls with no displays.

    The worst part of Axanar was were they tried to blend the cheap and tacky TOS sore thumb with the Kelvin era tech they'd fit into the rest of the footage. Thank gods DSC is flat out ignoring the cheap, primary coloured, cardboard of TOS in favour of looking like what Star Trek became.

    I hope all future Blu-rays Lucasise TOS to rotoscope the actors heads onto new uniforms and sets just for the correnies it'll cause.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

    #TASforSTO


    '...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,434 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    No. DSC does not have to look like TOS at all. TOS dosn't look like any other series it's the odd one out. The embarrassing haircut you had in the late 80s.

    DSC has to resemble the consistent Star Trek aesthetic seen from TNG/TWoK all the way to ENT and 09.​​


    No. TRIBBLE does not have to look like 'TNG/TWoK all the way to ENT and 09' at all. All it has to do, is look like what we, in this day and age, would consider what a future starship, 10 years prior to TOS, is supposed to look like. That 'feel' will change every decade or so.

    The Discovery ship looks perfect to me: modern and slick, but not ultra-futuristic, like the Enterprise J, the timeship Daniels took us in, to watch the Battle of Procyon 5.
    ChCDpuh.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,434 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @talonxv said:
    > Also no offense to who brought up Axanar again, but how is it early on in the thread I brought up a comparison to Axanar and I got so burned felt like I was in the heart of a sun. Now it gets brought up and its a nice friendly comparison. Guess the white knights gave up.

    I've got no idea who you think is making "a nice friendly comparison" but there was nothing good about the scam known as Axanar. Peters never had a script, at any time, and as multiple people who worked on Axanar (such as Tony Todd) would later reveal that was only the start of his lies. The whole thing was just a scam to use Trek fans to fund Peters's studio, it deserves to be burned buried and forgotten like the trash it is.


    Or... we could try and be mature about this, and indeed do the "nice friendly comparison", whilst all still agreeing Peters was a total douche. Hate the man, not the show. Naturally, the 'show' was literally only a Prelude, but it looked kick-*ss to me, and I truly feared the Klingons by the end of it, when they brought out their D7. Scam or no, TRIBBLE has never been able to make me feel the same way about *their* pathetic Klingons at all, LOL; not even remotely.
    ChCDpuh.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    Well yeah Peters had only one target Trek fans so he focued on all what they want and they took the bait

    DISCO is made for a general audience not just Trek fans just like TNG at first was for Trek fans but didn't become popular till they switched it up in season 3
    GwaoHAD.png
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,252 Arc User
    > @meimeitoo said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > > @talonxv said:
    > > Also no offense to who brought up Axanar again, but how is it early on in the thread I brought up a comparison to Axanar and I got so burned felt like I was in the heart of a sun. Now it gets brought up and its a nice friendly comparison. Guess the white knights gave up.
    >
    > I've got no idea who you think is making "a nice friendly comparison" but there was nothing good about the scam known as Axanar. Peters never had a script, at any time, and as multiple people who worked on Axanar (such as Tony Todd) would later reveal that was only the start of his lies. The whole thing was just a scam to use Trek fans to fund Peters's studio, it deserves to be burned buried and forgotten like the trash it is.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Or... we could try and be mature about this, and indeed do the "nice friendly comparison", whilst all still agreeing Peters was a total douche. Hate the man, not the show. Naturally, the 'show' was literally only a Prelude, but it looked kick-*ss to me, and I truly feared the Klingons by the end of it, when they brought out their D7. Scam or no, TRIBBLE has never been able to make me feel the same way about *their* pathetic Klingons at all, LOL; not even remotely.

    Exactly.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,515 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > talonxv wrote: »
    >
    > Yet they could of done so witha fresh look. Take the touch pads for example. Instead of blue for the keys and such, use red and yellow like the TOS was colored in. Simple things like that.
    >
    >
    >
    > Red and Yellow are not colors generally associated with space scifi, and haven't been for some time. Dark blues and other such colors are the modern space scifi colors, and have seen been around the time of enterprise, which also had a blue coloring to its monitors and such.

    I don't care about the rest of Scifi. I care about STAR TREK. And in TOS that this is 10 years before, the motif is reds and yellows. PERIOD.

    Unless this is a full reboot of the series and cannon is now from DSC on and every other series is now no longer cannon.

    And if it's that way just freaking say so and get it over with.

    Otherwise the series seriously needs to flow better into TOS.

    Wu1Ooju.jpg


    And I keep saying....I know...I know....Star Wars is EXEMPT from all that for some reason you guys keep shouting ~eye roll~ Rogue One, a star wars prequel, kept the looks we saw in the original star wars......kept the star destroyers, tie fighters, interiors and all that.

    Seems to me Discovery is championing Enterprise, and trying really hard to sweep away TOS into the rubbish been for good. And with "REBOOT MANIA!" running so strong in Hollywood (since...you know...anything original, or continuations seems to be frowned upon), it's only a matter of time, sadly.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,515 Arc User
    aethon3050 wrote: »
    Nope. I tried watching TRIBBLE, confident that it would improve after the first couple episodes, but I couldn't even make myself finish the first season. I kept hoping it'd get better, but after watching all but the last couple episodes, I just can't sit through any more. Glad I didn't pay CBS for it.

    The fact that we finally got a DS9-centric season was fantastic, and it was very well-done. It really saddens me to see it cut short just so we can all have TRIBBLE shoved down our throats. I certainly hope the TRIBBLE thing is just a marketing phase, and gets just as short a treatment as the Gamma series.

    Maybe the writers at Cryptic can do something palatable with it, and the TRIBBLE stuff won't be terrible in the game. Maybe it will be a skippable story arc. I really hope it goes over well; I'm willing to give it a fair chance, since the decision to put this stuff in the game has already been made, but it's hard to fully express my disappointment.

    Maybe we get to shove Burnham through an airlock.......a girl can dream, can't she? o:)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,515 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    No. DSC does not have to look like TOS at all. TOS dosn't look like any other series it's the odd one out. The embarrassing haircut you had in the late 80s.

    DSC has to resemble the consistent Star Trek aesthetic seen from TNG/TWoK all the way to ENT and 09. That means lots of blue, lots of black, and lots of grey. It means complex shapes and dim lighting not spotlights and basic cut outs. It means computers with actual layouts and not ridiculous jellybean controls with no displays.

    The worst part of Axanar was were they tried to blend the cheap and tacky TOS sore thumb with the Kelvin era tech they'd fit into the rest of the footage. Thank gods DSC is flat out ignoring the cheap, primary coloured, cardboard of TOS in favour of looking like what Star Trek became.

    I hope all future Blu-rays Lucasise TOS to rotoscope the actors heads onto new uniforms and sets just for the correnies it'll cause.​​

    This might be a shock...some of us LIKE TOS.


    DEAL WITH IT.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,434 Arc User
    aethon3050 wrote: »
    Nope. I tried watching TRIBBLE, confident that it would improve after the first couple episodes, but I couldn't even make myself finish the first season. I kept hoping it'd get better, but after watching all but the last couple episodes, I just can't sit through any more. Glad I didn't pay CBS for it.

    The fact that we finally got a DS9-centric season was fantastic, and it was very well-done. It really saddens me to see it cut short just so we can all have TRIBBLE shoved down our throats. I certainly hope the TRIBBLE thing is just a marketing phase, and gets just as short a treatment as the Gamma series.

    Maybe the writers at Cryptic can do something palatable with it, and the TRIBBLE stuff won't be terrible in the game. Maybe it will be a skippable story arc. I really hope it goes over well; I'm willing to give it a fair chance, since the decision to put this stuff in the game has already been made, but it's hard to fully express my disappointment.

    Maybe we get to shove Burnham through an airlock.......a girl can dream, can't she? o:)


    ^^ Listen to what smokebailey says! She knows whereof she speaks. :)
    ChCDpuh.jpg
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Which makes it even more interesting since it's clear when you look at the map that the Klingons weren't doing scorched earth as they went along. They were picking targets to smash, but seemed more interested in conquest than annihilation. Seriously, one of the marked planets was RISA... obviously they didn't bomb Risa.
    How do you know they did not bomb Risa?

    We are right back to where we started. We have no idea what was happening during the Klingon War.

    From the beginning, we know the Klingons are not keen on taking prisoners or slaves. Their first incursion (the terror raids) they murdered everyone they could find. Eventually, the Vulcans became tired of the Klingon's shenanigans and murdered them in return. The Klingons got sulky and went home (apparently, everyone completely forgot about all this, because the Federation and Starfleet ignore their murderous neighbors until the Battle of the Binary Stars). When the Klingons capture Tyler, they scoop his brains out. When they capture Lorca, they murder everyone else on the shuttle. The only reason they did not kill Lorca is because they needed him to bring Tyler/Voq back to the Federation. When they attack the mining colony (an unarmed civilian settlement) they attempt to bomb it into the dust rather than capture it. Every spaceship battle we see, the Klingons do not demand surrender. They kill without mercy. When Admiral Cornwall goes to parley with the Klingons, they kill her escort, only keeping her alive as she is "valuable". When they attack Earth, they completely obliterate Starbase 1, rather than capture it (I don't know how difficult it is to build starbases in Trek, but this seems like a strategically stupid idea to me). The Klingons appear to only take prisoners who have short term value, and murder everyone else they come across. Kol even murdered T'Kumva's followers after they pledged allegiance to him. I'm not expecting pity or mercy from these Klingons. I'm expecting body counts in the millions.

    So yes. The Risans could be in a bad situation as they fit the Klingon definition of "weak". These Klingons murder the weak. They probably see it as doing the Risans a favor. Or purging the Federation of "degenerates" since those Risans "mingle" with other races, and that is "icky".
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 9,908 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    No. DSC does not have to look like TOS at all. TOS dosn't look like any other series it's the odd one out. The embarrassing haircut you had in the late 80s.

    DSC has to resemble the consistent Star Trek aesthetic seen from TNG/TWoK all the way to ENT and 09. That means lots of blue, lots of black, and lots of grey. It means complex shapes and dim lighting not spotlights and basic cut outs. It means computers with actual layouts and not ridiculous jellybean controls with no displays.

    The worst part of Axanar was were they tried to blend the cheap and tacky TOS sore thumb with the Kelvin era tech they'd fit into the rest of the footage. Thank gods DSC is flat out ignoring the cheap, primary coloured, cardboard of TOS in favour of looking like what Star Trek became.

    I hope all future Blu-rays Lucasise TOS to rotoscope the actors heads onto new uniforms and sets just for the correnies it'll cause.​​

    This might be a shock...some of us LIKE TOS.


    DEAL WITH IT.

    This might be a shock...some of us LIKE DSC.


    DEAL WITH IT.
    :p
    Heck, some of us like TOS and ST:D.

    Not sure anyone in this shouting match can deal with that, though...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    Which makes it even more interesting since it's clear when you look at the map that the Klingons weren't doing scorched earth as they went along. They were picking targets to smash, but seemed more interested in conquest than annihilation. Seriously, one of the marked planets was RISA... obviously they didn't bomb Risa.
    How do you know they did not bomb Risa?

    We are right back to where we started. We have no idea what was happening during the Klingon War.

    From the beginning, we know the Klingons are not keen on taking prisoners or slaves. Their first incursion (the terror raids) they murdered everyone they could find. Eventually, the Vulcans became tired of the Klingon's shenanigans and murdered them in return. The Klingons got sulky and went home (apparently, everyone completely forgot about all this, because the Federation and Starfleet ignore their murderous neighbors until the Battle of the Binary Stars). When the Klingons capture Tyler, they scoop his brains out. When they capture Lorca, they murder everyone else on the shuttle. The only reason they did not kill Lorca is because they needed him to bring Tyler/Voq back to the Federation. When they attack the mining colony (an unarmed civilian settlement) they attempt to bomb it into the dust rather than capture it. Every spaceship battle we see, the Klingons do not demand surrender. They kill without mercy. When Admiral Cornwall goes to parley with the Klingons, they kill her escort, only keeping her alive as she is "valuable". When they attack Earth, they completely obliterate Starbase 1, rather than capture it (I don't know how difficult it is to build starbases in Trek, but this seems like a strategically stupid idea to me). The Klingons appear to only take prisoners who have short term value, and murder everyone else they come across. Kol even murdered T'Kumva's followers after they pledged allegiance to him. I'm not expecting pity or mercy from these Klingons. I'm expecting body counts in the millions.

    So yes. The Risans could be in a bad situation as they fit the Klingon definition of "weak". These Klingons murder the weak. They probably see it as doing the Risans a favor. Or purging the Federation of "degenerates" since those Risans "mingle" with other races, and that is "icky".
    Except we know that Klingons ARE fond of slave labor, because it's canon that have several entire civilizations kept as slaves.

    Also it's canon that Risa had been a peaceful utopia for centuries when Picard went there. So, I'm pretty sure that the actual explanation is that when the Klingons entered orbit they ordered the Risians to surrender and graciously accepted their surrender... in part because they had other planets to plunder and even Klingons like a tropical resort, especially if the resort manager pays them money to leave the resort alone.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    Or it's like Organia, the people are sheep not fit to be conquered. They will be governed as sheep since they will not fight.
    The Klingons were quite happy to rule them without wiping them out when they offered no resistance.

    Though that doesn't seem to fit as well with the new klingons as much as traditional (TOS/TNG) ones....then again who knows, new klingons are just....odd.
    They feel a bit like an after thought to the story rather than a culture.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 9,908 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Or it's like Organia, the people are sheep not fit to be conquered. They will be governed as sheep since they will not fight.
    The Klingons were quite happy to rule them without wiping them out when they offered no resistance.

    Though that doesn't seem to fit as well with the new klingons as much as traditional (TOS/TNG) ones....then again who knows, new klingons are just....odd.
    They feel a bit like an after thought to the story rather than a culture.

    it's easy to figure it out; Discovery's "Klingons" are a composite of the worst and most revolting stereotypes of "Klingons" throughout all the previous series, that is, they're basically a parody in excessive latex, no more, no less.
    Or they're a distillation of everything it means to be truly Klingon, devoting oneself to mouthing words about "courage" and "honor" while making Romulans look honest and aboveboard. Because that's more in keeping with the Klingons we've seen throughout all of Trek than Worf's simplistic, childish ideals.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.