test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO: Age of Discovery - Excited YEAH/NAY

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 10,936 Arc User
    That is quite a stretch to justify inhibiting make up. I don't know but I go out on a limb and say they didn't deliberatly rob the actors of the ability to act for effect...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    Based on these current poll numbers I guess one can infer perhaps that Discovery is similar to Star Trek as Solo has been to Star Wars? Yikes.

I'm also open minded but can't avoid reading all the negative comments in this post. Still I really do hope the new Discovery season makes a turn around and get more positive reviews from those lucky enough to view it.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,624 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    angrytarg wrote: »
    That is quite a stretch to justify inhibiting make up. I don't know but I go out on a limb and say they didn't deliberatly rob the actors of the ability to act for effect...

Process of education (in creative disciplines)

Step 1: the rule (what Veloreah referenced)

Step 2: subverting the rule for effect

With how many elements are consistently contributing to creating distance between DSC Klingons and the audience, how that directly plays into an arc (supported by explicit dialog in the first episodes) about trying to understand people as they are (rather than as you project them to be) similar to smaller-scope themes presented elsewhere in the franchise (to again, to elevate that story from "coexistence with monsters" [see. Horta, 8472] to "coexistence with different groups in society" [see. allegory in Star Trek]), I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that this is both a realized and intended part of the DSC Klingon presentation (which I would only change by making the Klingons more alien so folks would be less inclined to superficially react at nominal distance.) These were not meant to be immediately relatable characters, with everything that requires.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Last missions:
    Evolution's Smile [SSF:3-3]
    Epoch, Part 2 [AEI]
    Transcendence, Part 4
    Memorial Tour

For the latest Tardigrades and other creative output: @Gorgonops_SSF
    Looking for something new to play? The interactive Foundry Mission Database has you covered.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    Based on these current poll numbers I guess one can infer perhaps that Discovery is similar to Star Trek as Solo has been to Star Wars? Yikes.

I'm also open minded but can't avoid reading all the negative comments in this post. Still I really do hope the new Discovery season makes a turn around and get more positive reviews from those lucky enough to view it.​​
    Funny thing is that the slant on the poll is very different now than the first day it was posted. At first it was over 50% positive.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    Nope not interested, I only play Klingons and once again KDF is being left out. so nope. I wish once they would do some new KDF stuff and not let feddybears have access and the mission be something that I Klingon might actually do rather than just being a fed puppet.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,010 Arc User
    I am seriously considering a very extended break from STO when the TRIBBLE content arrives.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    storules wrote: »

Funny thing is that the slant on the poll is very different now than the first day it was posted. At first it was over 50% positive.

We also need to keep in mind that the forum represents a VERY small portion of the playerbase.

I daresay that a more 'open' poll - posted on (for example), the launcher page or the in-game splash page would yeild more votes and would be a more accurate reflection.

I wouldn't trust that poll to be a fair view of people's feelings either. Despite is showing a tiny proportion of the players, one thing i noticed on the forum was that as soon as the Discovery content was announced suddenly a lot of new/recent accounts were popping up raving in their displeasure at the content decision.
    Sure there's plenty of the regulars who dislike it but it struck me as odd that so many new faces suddenly appeared, just as something controversial was being put forward.
    Maybe i'm just being cynical...... ;)
    SulMatuul.png
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,209 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    except, Kirk's opponents were usually (though not always) able to gain the upper hand. Jim kirk rarely won with his fists, he had to rely on his brains. (people tend to ignore that Kirk tended to lose fights once they turned physical in the show. he's had to be rescued more often than Princess Peach during that 5 year mission.)

Huh?? Are you sure you were watching Star Trek??

Kirk beat Khan - the genetic "super man" with "5 times his strength"... whooped Finnegan in "Shore Leave"...

I mean, come on.... beating up bad guys (sometimes several of them at once) is something Kirk is absolutely famous for.

Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    "Famous for' but those scenes are taken dead out of context. re-watch the episodes.

Re-watch what? You said "people tend to ignore that Kirk tended to lose fights once they turned physical" - the linked videos clearly show your comment is completely false.

Of course Kirk outwitted and outsmarted his opponents using his brains. No question. That isn't what I was referring to.

Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:

• pork77pork77 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I don't like DSC excepr for some of the designs. I still cheer for it in STO just to boink those that whine about SJW content. DSC has big problems, but if you complain about that you got bigger ones xD

Thank you for that. I was surprised how many people who play a Star Trek game hate what Star Trek always was: a statement for social justice.

I just recently watched the first Discovery season, and I enjoyed it a lot more than any JJ-Trek I've watched... but that's just me...
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

... and of course, I'd love to have a T5/6 Kamarag, like there is a T5/6 Ambassador.
    did we even grow up watching the same show, or did you just stick to a bunch of youtube clips and forums? by the standards of teevee at the time (genre standards especially) Kirk was one of the more restrained hero-types on television going all the way from the sixties to the eighties, and one of the most frequent things underlined Trek scripts was that violence really wasn't the answer.

now, compared to, say, falconcrest or the love boat, it was violent, but that was network Teevee in the sixties, seventies and even the eighties.

but Trek was a LOT less violent than, say, "Gunsmoke" or "Starsky and Hutch", vastly less reliant on violence to solve anything than "SWAT" or "The A-Team" even.

when you take it by the standards of the time, for an 'adventure show', Star Trek was remarkably non violent, and Kirk's solutions relied on the writing trope of "The competent man" (as opposed to the Edisonade as typified by both Voyager and Doctor Who), someone actually did a video comparing the captains (in the various series), and kirk was one of the ones with the lowest crew kill counts (on screen).

WTF are you on about? Your bizarre blustering has absolutely nothing to do with what you posted or to the statement I was replying to.

You clearly said "people tend to ignore that Kirk tended to lose fights once they turned physical". That's absolutely false. You can literally see it with your own eyes.

thecosmic1 wrote:

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 5,970 Arc User
    Looks like the 'no' group are winning at the moment. :open_mouth:
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 3,965 Arc User
    yes.
    jonsills wrote: »
    Apparently since this fellow doesn't like ST:D, it therefore must be unpopular with everyone, because he has the very epitome of good taste. Netflix signed on for overseas distribution of Season 2 because they just love losing customers, obviously.

Also, there's a point that's been permitted to slide here, but The Orville is not a parody of Star Trek, despite the way that Fox has tried to sell it, and any insistence that it is shows that the one insisting hasn't watched much of it. Yes, MacFarlane used TNG as a stepping-off point (I usually describe it to folks who haven't seen it yet as "TNG with real humans instead of Roddenberry paragons"), but there's nothing in there that "parodies" anything, except for lazy sci-fi tropes (like the takedown of macho all-male militaristic aliens in "About a Girl").

For the Orville - I more like: "It's Star Trek the original series with TNG style set designs." ;)

(And I like BOTH ST: D and TO. <--- Sacrilege I know as for some "There can be only one truly popular space based sci-fi show.." ;))
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 3,965 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    that's not forgiveable for me. If your main character is a superhero (and Marysue Burnham is absolutely superhero-esque in her ability to avoid consequences and get away with juvenile behaviours while succeeding constantly and always being 'right in the end'...)
    ^^^
    You do realize you just described the character of Data (from ST: TNG); as well as described most of the episode story resolutions OF ST:TNG episodes with that paragraph, right?
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    it was consistent through MOST of the series. Part of that whole "optimistic future" gag-shooting people didn't solve problems, but fast-talking often did.
    Yeah, when was the Federation ever a utopia? Sure people made bold claims, but... when did we SEE that? Oh yeah, only on Earth.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • pork77pork77 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    Kirk always took a beating when fighting, actually one of the few things JJ got right in his first movie, in the bar fight with the Starfleet cadets. But in his first big fight, when he was fighting Gary Mitchell, he tanked until Elizabeth Dehner intervened... my point is, Kirk did fight, and he also won fights, but the important fights he won either via superior thinking (e.g. against the Gorn in Arena) or via superior thinking. And when he won via violence, at least in the series, he didn't just win, but he used his victory to teach a lesson in civilisation.
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

... and of course, I'd love to have a T5/6 Kamarag, like there is a T5/6 Ambassador.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I can get behind this on one condition. That ALL discovery content added by the expansion and not pre-existing in the game already by that time be locked behind a sector space wall the way the Romulan and 23rd century starting content is, and this time, do not provide a way to move into the 25th century era of STO. That way, the discovery universe can expand completely unto itself for everyone interested and those of us who want as little to do with it as possible don't have to have it shoved in our face.

Or they could do it like CBS does. Paywall all the TRIBBLE content completely. Including the missions. Similar to how LOTRO and DDO offer mission packs for regions.
This discussion has been closed.