test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Race faction!

I think it's time to live the life of the race you pick faction. This can be implemented by re-adding the old Star Cluster random mission system perhaps? Play as an Orion? Join the Syndicate. Play as a Ferengi? Join the Trade Guild. Play as a Nausicaan? Be a pirate. Special rewards will be given in quest chains. Any race can do these missions. But only that certain race would gain special benefits. This can be implemented simply by added the old Star Clusters back to the Sector Space map maybe? Special DOFF missions for certain races? Right now. We are lacking in feeling unique when playing certain races. This would add a lot of depth to the already massive Trek lore. Players would love picking a Bajoran, do good deed missions for the Prophets. And gaining certain bonuses in combat. Orions would be able to do black Market business with the Ferengi. Gaining special contraband or latinum items. All of which could be sold on the new Black Market Exchange! If I knew how to add a poll to this post. I would. Press 1 if you agree with this idea. Press 2 if you disagree. And think this would not be fun. I would love to hear your feedback!

Comments

• scotticus#9508 scotticus Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I think it'd be fun to add a little more flavour to proceedings. Balance would be a concern; one race would likely be quickets to grind or have the 'best' missions...it'd be important to minimise that as best possible. It'd add more variety to the game to have specific engineering or scientific challenges, while the more warrior-ey races would really have more complex tactical challenges. I don't know what's possible with the game engine as is. I'd love to see developments like cover-shooting on ground and the like. In principle, yeah, if I'm a Jem'Hadar, I would like a different game experience to a Bolian Scientist. It'd make having multiple characters more worthwhile and would surely be good for
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    Seriously?
    Spock.jpg

• antiquesroadshowantiquesroadshow Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    Wow. Thought this would have more support. Guess the fans just want to shoot things up.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The star clusters were such utter garbage the mere mention of them gets an instant no from me.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Cryptic doesn't have the manpower for creating more than a trivial amount of missions for a specific 'faction'. Just look at how many unique missions that the Romulans (25 missions) received compared to TOS Starfleet (6 missions) and finally Jem'Hadar (1 mission). Tutorials are counted only as 1 mission even though they consist of 3 to 6 sub-missions and any missions that only involve travelling to some place and talking to a contact are not counted.

So Cryptic can only do factions like TOS Starfleet and Jem'Hadar where they have at least a tutorial mission, some costumes, new C-Store ships, and just let them join up with the rest of the factions and ignore them in the future. Creating a faction with unique gameplay is just not possible for Cryptic or else they wouldn't have gone with the Cross-faction route.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    For all that effort they could add another dozen+ cross-faction story episodes instead. That would benefit 90+% of players instead of adding a little extra flavor for a small number of hardcore role-players.

The needs of the many.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Wow. Thought this would have more support. Guess the fans just want to shoot things up.

The "fans who just want to shoot things up" (ie. those who didn't give your suggestion an uncritical vote of confidence, consider how you characterize your fellow community members in discussion) can recognize that your suggestions have some flaws in that they doesn't consider opportunity cost or what the actual benefits of each component suggestion may be. It's an enthusiastic train of thought covering a very large span of content that would probably have to take the form of a new expansion and thereby preclude whatever else Cryptic might have worked on (ex. Borg cooperative.) It's a not a throwaway "maybe cool!" It's a major proposal and probably needs a more in-depth take to workshop (in the context of a forum.)

For me though, an enterprising Ferengi faction just doesn't excite (especially when we have the costumes, ships, species, duty officers, and weapon already available and the old exploration system was no icon of game design.) I like mixing up content but I think there are much better and more targeted ways of doing it (ie. give a little dev time to the Foundry to sort out existing bugs and improve the player-side search interface UI.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I think it'd be fun to add a little more flavour to proceedings. Balance would be a concern; one race would likely be quickets to grind or have the 'best' missions...it'd be important to minimise that as best possible. It'd add more variety to the game to have specific engineering or scientific challenges, while the more warrior-ey races would really have more complex tactical challenges. I don't know what's possible with the game engine as is. I'd love to see developments like cover-shooting on ground and the like. In principle, yeah, if I'm a Jem'Hadar, I would like a different game experience to a Bolian Scientist. It'd make having multiple characters more worthwhile and would surely be good for

I don't need Cryptic to create a new species or faction. I have the alien generator and an imagination. I can do this for myself. Would you like a screenshot and bio of one of my created species?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    i always thought a personal nemesis system would have been good for the game and very star trek. i think they have something in champions online.
  • mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    That would simply take too much time and resources for something that would really only benefit a few. Not to mention all the people who would complain that their alien doesn't feel like it should, or why does alien a get better stuff than alien b.
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    No more factions, please. We have too many as it is.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    mez83 wrote: »
    That would simply take too much time and resources for something that would really only benefit a few. Not to mention all the people who would complain that their alien doesn't feel like it should, or why does alien a get better stuff than alien b.

The only problem I have here is in the tailor. A custom species/faction is fun to come up with. Especially when you do all the research to make them fit within the Star Trek Universe. Other than that, I can't make them look the way I actually want. With this or that being species/gender locked, and I'm not talking clothing options here. This applies to certain character model pieces. Such as the gorn scale skin.
    Mm5NeXy.gif