test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

possible new dominion races

I think there should be a selection where you can play as a founder or a vorta what do you think? if there are any people from arc games on the forum reading this what do you think about my idea? is it viable?

Comments

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    megawett wrote: »
    I think there should be a selection where you can play as a founder or a vorta what do you think? if there are any people from arc games on the forum reading this what do you think about my idea? is it viable?

You are far from the only one wanting that :). I think it has been the most requested (and most ignored) request on these boards in quite a while.

I very reluctantly made a gamma recruit even though I cannot stand to even look at the Jem'Hadar much less play one (I use it for ship combat only and have the disgusting thing stuffed into an EV suit so I do not have to look at it when mailing resources to my playable characters) so the gamma recruit event (which requires a lot of ground time) is pretty much useless as far as I am concerned.

If they would have at least made a full head-covering helmet available in the uniform tab for the Jem'Hadar for those players who would not otherwise even consider a JH and cannot stand to look at them it would have made playing the gamma recruit stuff at least somewhat playable for a lot of people.

Playable Vorta gamma recruits would have been quite playable and I would have made at least two of them (one for each faction alignment) and would have almost certainly bought more character slots. Not only is there the looks and identifying with the character factor involved, the idea of the rigid cast-bound Dominion letting any Jem'Hadar get above their cast position is absolutely ludicrous and totally breaks suspension of disbelief, regardless of what Odo might think on the matter.

For that matter, if they would have made the Cardassians an option for gamma recruit I think there would have been a brisk market for them in the z-store even at $10 (I could just barely afford that at the moment, but would have jumped at the chance to do the gamma recruit event with something I could actually play for example, and I have heard others say the same thing). Canon actually favors that kind of thing for the Cardassians, they tend to form odd movements like the True Way and there is almost certainly one made up of the old collaborators and whatnot from their days as a Dominion outpost state in the Dominion somewhere.

• Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    Well there is many many differant factors. Given the limited amount of episodes, plus the entire overhaul of ds9 plus what room they had to work with. To get this all done so they could release something. Basically says it all. Point of it is, Cryptics devs are small compared to large companies. Also they have to work on other things for other mmos. Like Magic the Gathering online and Neverwinters Ravenloft.
    I doubt its the story because of the fact they can spin a good one together. Maybe its some of the reason. The expansion is not really done yet either. Because you got to factor in the limited amount of devs again. They would most likely need to pull devs away from magic the gathering and Neverwinter to completely make the dominion faction.
    I do think they will add one or two more races to the dominion. Given Changelings is something they want to do. They might start on a storyline involving a playable version. Starting from the Changeling Homeworld Maybe. Anything is possible with them then continue on with their story.

Well heres the possiblites of what we will see.

1. They might add in Changelings give them alien options allow them to look however they want maybe. Or make them only able to take on shapes of objects and only look like a form Odo took. They add them in with their own mission giving them their own unique story and how they come into the game then drop them into the game doing the same thing they did with the Jem Hadar. Maybe they start working for Odo who then he has them help out the Alliance.
    Or maybe we will start out like the Changeling Captain in that article they did in an article One of the Devs Made for a Changeling Captain.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1240214/the-missing-link

Given they talked about wanting to do it after Victory is Life Launches that could be whats coming next to the dismay of those against playable changelings.

2. Vortas are added But they could drop a not very popular option of it being a Lifetime Race Unlock. While changelings are added as not a lifetime race and really angering the player base.

3. Vortas are added as a buy to play or unlock at the end of the storyline like was suggested by them. While not adding any playable founders at all.

4. Vortas are added in but changelings are lifetime. Vortas are added a pay/grind to unlock race for Dominion. Changelings are lifetime to keep with their rarity and powerful abilities. This might be what the players would prefer the most.

5.They don't do anymore with the faction or add any more races too it aka the worst option to have happen here. But they continue on with their storyline.

But given they named the faction the Dominion and not a Jem Hadar faction leaves open to room and they are not done yet with what they are doing with Victory is life. So anything is possible.

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    patrickngo wrote: »
    megawett wrote: »

the statement was that it was a story issue.
    for some reason, the cross faction story that works with your klingon, orion, fed-human, bajoran, etc. character doesn't, apparently work for a Vorta.

That is what the devs said on that livestream, but I have yet to see any content at all for which that would be true. In fact, the ViL stuff does not work canon wise with a Jem'Hadar at all (except for maybe the very first part of the introductory scenario, which actually can be handled by a bottom-rung grunt), but does work with a Vorta in command of a Jem'Hadar ship and crew the way it always was on the DS9 show.

I get the impression that the devs somehow forgot that the "timid peaceful Vorta" thing was just an act they put on so that people would discount them so they can do their real job of agent without suspicion. In the show Vorta were perfectly capable of killing and courageous acts though they preferred to do it through others if possible, or by subterfuge. For example Weyoun quite often commanded a ship competently despite his groveling and flattery to the founders and his claims of not seeing well and being too timid to fight.

In the show they used to talk a lot about how the Romulans were such sneaky liars who never did anything without layers and layers of subterfuge, but the Roms are rank amateurs compared to the average Vorta.