What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dominion faction?

2»

Comments

• Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I could see the Vorta becoming playable, and even though they were not created to be combatants, we have seen the dominion make changes to their creations like with the Jem'hadar. So seeing how well it did for the federation an other alpha/beta quad races did with their commander/officers that would normally be the equivalent to the Vorta an being trained as combatants, and so they made some changes to create a new breed of Vorta that was abit more of a combat role. Though what if the Dominion might interbreed, or mix aspects of the Vorta an Jem'hadar to be a bridge between the Vortas an Jem'hadar on a ship an the faction.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    There is also the possiblity of say the True Way creating Vorta that are more flexible in their behavior.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    lordgyor wrote: »
    There is also the possiblity of say the True Way creating Vorta that are more flexible in their behavior.

There's no prospect though of playing as a member of the True Way, current or former (unless you want to head-canon it). The Jem'Hadar faction starts as Dominion. Playable Vorta was shot down by Geko during his recent Priority One interview (linked below). The story will focus on Jem'Hadar faction characters being Jem'Hadar, hence the branding. ;)

http://priorityonepodcast.com/po360/

I think you can question the writing in this case (whether it was necessary to be so specific when the Jem story line is also multi-faction) but as far as we know now there's nothing we can say (to propose a compromise) that might change Cryptic's mind in this respect. The story is locked in.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    velaethia#6552 velaethia Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Would $100 and a cookie change their mind.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    asuran14 wrote: »
    I could see the Vorta becoming playable, and even though they were not created to be combatants, we have seen the dominion make changes to their creations like with the Jem'hadar. So seeing how well it did for the federation an other alpha/beta quad races did with their commander/officers that would normally be the equivalent to the Vorta an being trained as combatants, and so they made some changes to create a new breed of Vorta that was abit more of a combat role. Though what if the Dominion might interbreed, or mix aspects of the Vorta an Jem'hadar to be a bridge between the Vortas an Jem'hadar on a ship an the faction.

Could possibly be done - and I wouldn't be too surprised if it did happen - but using a different species to fill the gap would be more logical for the dominions. When you have a sports car and an SUV, you don't use parts of both (or only very little) to create a new car. At least the new car wouldn't look like either.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @duncanidaho11 said:
    > lordgyor wrote: »
    >
    > There is also the possiblity of say the True Way creating Vorta that are more flexible in their behavior.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > There's no prospect though of playing as a member of the True Way, current or former (unless you want to head-canon it). The Jem'Hadar faction starts as Dominion. Playable Vorta was shot down by Geko during his recent Priority One interview (linked below). The story will focus on Jem'Hadar faction characters being Jem'Hadar, hence the branding. ;)
    >
    > http://priorityonepodcast.com/po360/
    >
    > I think you can question the writing in this case (whether it was necessary to be so specific when the Jem story line is also multi-faction) but as far as we know now there's nothing we can say (to propose a compromise) that might change Cryptic's mind in this respect. The story is locked in.

The Vorta won't be apart of the Dominion Faction, but they could like the Cardassians, usable by the KDF and Feds.
  • Options
    Would $100 and a cookie change their mind.

We've tried bacon in the past, worth a shot.

The Vorta won't be apart of the Dominion Faction, but they could like the Cardassians, usable by the KDF and Feds.

There'd still be some pretty big story issues. Namely, what's a Vorta doing in the FED/KDF in 2409? It would take some considerable head-canoning, though it's not outside the realm of possibility.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    > @duncanidaho11 said:
    > lordgyor wrote: »
    > There is also the possiblity of say the True Way creating Vorta that are more flexible in their behavior.

> There's no prospect though of playing as a member of the True Way, current or former (unless you want to head-canon it). The Jem'Hadar faction starts as Dominion. Playable Vorta was shot down by Geko during his recent Priority One interview (linked below). The story will focus on Jem'Hadar faction characters being Jem'Hadar, hence the branding. ;)
    >
    > http://priorityonepodcast.com/po360/
    >
    > I think you can question the writing in this case (whether it was necessary to be so specific when the Jem story line is also multi-faction) but as far as we know now there's nothing we can say (to propose a compromise) that might change Cryptic's mind in this respect. The story is locked in.

If you're going that route you can just as easily make an alien into a Vorta.
    new_outfit_for_season_9_by_marhawkman-d7acuhw.png
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    If you're going that route you can just as easily make an alien into a Vorta.

Indeed, and as we see from the Cardassians its a trade-off. An alien has more flexibility in customization options, Cardassians are restricted to 3 (out of 5) humanoid face type options and less than a dozen hair types. For a playable Vorta we might expect to see something comparable (updates to vented ears, hairstyles to match on-screen Vorta, but at the same time limitations in skin/face combos so we can only play as a screen-accurate Vorta). Most of those (Cardassian assets) are new and they have some great new forehead options. However, with Cryptic applying a somewhat limiting approach to the extent of the parts available there is an argument to make that an Alien Cardassian is still a better platform for a player to create their own character with, depending on their preferences (ie. higher quality but more restrictive assets versus a much greater range but none of the exclusives.)

So, I wouldn't necessarily take the prospect of officially codifying an Alien-gen species through a designated species choice (ex. Vorta) as wholly positive (and therefore we actually need.) From what we've seen, alien-gen works better in some respects.

(And coupled with the initial question of Jem'Hadar faction species choice *and* species choice for TOS FED, it seems like Cryptic's fallen into the role of a very picky DM [when they *were* totally laid back]. We're okay making our own character creation choices, so long as we stick to what they think will work best for the session. At a certain level a dev has to do that, but pre-AOY Cryptic demonstrated that can be a very low level process indeed [the Republic had alien-gen and Delta Rising came with new parts. Since then...])
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    I don't see the Vorta as playable, however, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a unique Vorta Boff available (of either the Engineering or Science field).
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    flash525 wrote: »
    I don't see the Vorta as playable, however, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a unique Vorta Boff available (of either the Engineering or Science field).

Or one with a "software malfunction", a gung-ho Leeroy Jenkins tac Vorta?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »

I think most players would tire of their new found Tactical Officer continually failing objectives. :wink:

attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User

I think most players would tire of their new found Tactical Officer continually failing objectives. :wink:

At least they'd live longer than a Weyoun...
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    richyrich1991richyrich1991 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    I don't think the other dominion races will be present unfortunately but I'm hoping that the "alien" is still a race option so if you wanted a Vorta or Cardassian you could make a toon that at least looked the part.
    "As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives.
    This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Victory is Life!"
    njflWNG.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »

At least they'd live longer than a Weyoun...
    Depends how much they have to respawn. :D