test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dominion faction?

I have questions about the upcoming expansion Life Is Victory. The preview of it states this:

"New Faction
A new faction, the Jem'hadar will be added with Victory is Life. This faction will start at level 60 and move to level 65, possibly being expanded later on."

So is the only race you can play Jem'hadar? Cause that's more limited then Romulan. Mono gender, mono species faction. Or will it include other dominion races such as (at least) Vorta? and (hopefully) Changelings? I'd hope they at least have an alien option like every other faction. (Besides ToS for some reason).

Also will this be a true third faction? Or will it "ally" with the Fed, or Klinks like the Romulan faction does?

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Not much info given as of yet.

We get 2 species by the way: Free’Hadar & Pay’Hadar

I’m pretty confident that this will be no new “true” faction when it comes to fleet alignments. THANK GOD!

I think anybody who seriously askes for such a thing at this age of the game should consider contributing more than 2Dil per months to fleet holdings for a change. :/
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • velaethia#6552 velaethia Member Posts: 36 Arc User

I’m pretty confident that this will be no new “true” faction when it comes to fleet alignments. THANK GOD!

I think anybody who seriously askes for such a thing at this age of the game should consider contributing more than 2Dil per months to fleet holdings for a change. :/

A free and paid version? What is the difference? Cosmetic? Or Skill? Like joined trill?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

A free and paid version? What is the difference? Cosmetic? Or Skill? Like joined trill?
    We don't know all the details yet, but Joined Trill seems like a good analogy.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Agreed. Probably like Trill and Joined Trill. And maybe a couple cosmetic differences too.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Agreed. Probably like Trill and Joined Trill. And maybe a couple cosmetic differences too.

Normally I wouldn't buy a race that is identical to a pre existing one. I did buy joined trill for RP reasons. I suppose I could've just said my regular trill was joined but I felt like just getting it. The bonuses are pretty nice.

My guess is maybe alpha versus gamma quadrant Jem'hadar? Or Young, Versus elder. Elder has bonus traits based on experience and would need to be bought.

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Yea.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    The only playable species within this micro-faction are the Jem Hadar, though like stated, there's two different versions, and it stands to reason the pay'hadar will have the better traits with (more than likely) some additional cosmetic features. No playable Vorta (unless they're keeping those under wraps) and certainly no Founders (that'll never happen, because they'd be OP).

It's also not a true faction (hah, as if we're ever going to get one of those now), instead, it's ... well, it's even less of a faction than the Republic; you start at level 60, and choose the FED (or) KDF to ... not so much align with, but instead, support? It's essentially just a way for you to acquire the fleet kit and be involved in a community and fleet advancement grind.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I still wish they would make a Cardassian faction.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I would hope they add a vorta race choice, and some other races that might be from the gamma quad. Personally I think giving us the ability to create cardassian/alpha quad jems in the other three main factions would be fine too. Even though they may never do another full on or semi-faction, it would be interesting to see them do a expansion that adds to the existing factions we have in small ways.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    There MIGHT be Liberated Borg Jem'hadar and some kind of Experimental/Alien Jem'hadar, but that is hypothetical on my part.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    flash525 wrote: »
    The only playable species within this micro-faction are the Jem Hadar, though like stated, there's two different versions, and it stands to reason the pay'hadar will have the better traits with (more than likely) some additional cosmetic features. No playable Vorta (unless they're keeping those under wraps) and certainly no Founders (that'll never happen, because they'd be OP).
    Vorta were shot down on a Priority One interview, the story hinges on the player being a Jem'Hadar.

It's also not a true faction (hah, as if we're ever going to get one of those now), instead, it's ... well, it's even less of a faction than the Republic; you start at level 60, and choose the FED (or) KDF to ... not so much align with, but instead, support? It's essentially just a way for you to acquire the fleet kit and be involved in a community and fleet advancement grind.

I think it's similar to the TOS FED in that the major selling point (from a narrative point of view) is a new starting point. There isn't (from what we've heard so far) an exclusive intro arc (taking TOS FED a step further).

Jem'Hadar missions will (again, from what we've heard so far) be multi-faction. But, they will still serve as Jem'Hadar's entry into the STO universe when played from their perspective. That does beg the question that if FED/KDF/ROM are included in these missions...why Vorta or alien-gen DOM were out of the question. Seems like selective latitude is being employed, unless these missions change dramatically based on DOM/Non-DOM faction choice.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    ^ unless there *is* at least an intro / tutorial mission for Jem'Hadar characters.
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    I thought there were playable Cardassians added to this expansion as well? I'm pretty sure there was a blog on it.

Also, why does everything have to be either fed or kdf? Why can't there be a third option? It doesn't even make sense. Why would the Jem'hadar be part of the federation?
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    I thought there were playable Cardassians added to this expansion as well? I'm pretty sure there was a blog on it.

Also, why does everything have to be either fed or kdf? Why can't there be a third option? It doesn't even make sense. Why would the Jem'hadar be part of the federation?

There is really only one faction now, the Alliance AKA Future Federation.

The game does not have enough players to support adding new full factions, or even having new distinct KDF story episodes.

Even with more players, 70% of captains are Federation and many of the remaining 30% captains are farming alts. So creating non-Federation story episodes is a waste of money and PWE/Cryptic is a business.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited May 2018

Playable Cardassians are in the expansion, just not part of the Jem'Hadar Faction. They're in Starfleet and the KDF, and they ain't free.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • thecoffinflythecoffinfly Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    Judging from Tribble, the Cardies aint all that either. Which is good. I personally dislike them.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    There hasn't been a true faction since STO launched with Fed & KDF factions. Not even the Romulans were a true, fully independent faction.
    XzRTofz.gif
    flash525 wrote: »

Changelings would only be op if they made them op. It's a game. It's all just numbers. They could easily make them not Op. Like their racial shapeshift makes them turn into another alien race and gain their traits. That's not innately op. Useful, not OP.

I think a bigger component against playable changelings is you'd functionally be playable a species that is considered a god by other species. So that lore-factor. That being said I still think it's a cool idea.

Seems a bit silly for me to not have a playable Vorta. TBH. Cause that also means this faction is all male. Already irritated that 3 klingon faction races are male exclusive. Nascicans, and Letheans have no excuse. There is no lore stating they're a mono gender race. The gorn is semi-justified as while they have male and female they have next to no sexual dimorphism except female gorn are reportedly larger then male gorn. But gorn also get larger as they get older. So is that a young female gorn or an older male gorn? Either way I'd wish they'd have a male/female option or instead of default to male have a "Gorn" as the only gender option cause no one can tell the difference except maybe other gorn.

I'd also pay real money for playable female lethean. I tried to make one with the alien creator and it looks awkward cause I cannot mimic the facial protrusions found on playable letheans.

Jem'hadar are justified as they've been explained as a mono gendered race since they were encountered in Ds9 series. So that's fine. But If they're the only race option in a new playable faction that's kind of frustrating. Having playable Vorta, and or Alien for Dominion faction would help that issue.

Still with Lethean and Nasicians kind of annoying. I mean we got female Remans even though they never showed up before they were made playable. And imho they look bad-TRIBBLE. Why couldn't they have done the same with the other races? (Not Gorn).

avoozuul wrote: »

Not a faction but cardassian will be playable for Klinks and Fed apparently. Unsure if they'll be free or paid.
    edited May 2018

Not a faction but cardassian will be playable for Klinks and Fed apparently. Unsure if they'll be free or paid.

Paid. They're in a discount bundle and they've been said to only be free on Tribble.
    I'd also pay real money for playable female lethean. I tried to make one with the alien creator and it looks awkward cause I cannot mimic the facial protrusions found on playable letheans.

Still with Lethean and Nasicians kind of annoying. I mean we got female Remans even though they never showed up before they were made playable. And imho they look bad-****. Why couldn't they have done the same with the other races? (Not Gorn).
    Because those races were made at launch. If you've ever tried customizing the face of a Lethean or Nausicaan boff you'll see why you can't make them in aliens... :/ the entire head is a single custom piece :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    tyler002 wrote: »

Paid. They're in a discount bundle and they've been said to only be free on Tribble.

"Free on tribble" ???
    edited May 2018

"Free on tribble" ???

The test server, you can make Cardassians there. The patch notes when they were added specifies that they are only free on the test server, meaning they're not going to be free when released.
    "Free on tribble" ???
    For testing purposes, you don't need to unlock the race and can make one without unlocking it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

"Free on tribble" ???

The test server, you can make Cardassians there. The patch notes when they were added specifies that they are only free on the test server, meaning they're not going to be free when released.

Ah. Is the test server for Victory is Life up?

"Free on tribble" ???

Ah. Is the test server for Victory is Life up?

You can make a Cardassian and enter the Gamma Battlezone, though not create a Jem'Hadar faction character.

When I last checked, Tribble should still be limited to Lifetime Subscribers though.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    I think it's similar to the TOS FED in that the major selling point (from a narrative point of view) is a new starting point. There isn't (from what we've heard so far) an exclusive intro arc (taking TOS FED a step further).

Jem'Hadar missions will (again, from what we've heard so far) be multi-faction. But, they will still serve as Jem'Hadar's entry into the STO universe when played from their perspective. That does beg the question that if FED/KDF/ROM are included in these missions...why Vorta or alien-gen DOM were out of the question. Seems like selective latitude is being employed, unless these missions change dramatically based on DOM/Non-DOM faction choice.

No, that is not what has been said AT ALL

They explicitly stated that there will be 6 jem'hadar faction specific missions - which are the missions they refer to when they're talking about how vorta would be unsuitable given that the story assumes you are a jem'hadar. They haven't said a word about how many (or if any) regular story missions that all factions can play will be included in addition to that. They also said that there was a tutorial/intro mission included in the new faction
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @warmaker001b said:
    > There hasn't been a true faction since STO launched with Fed & KDF factions. Not even the Romulans were a true, fully independent faction.

Even the feds and klingons aren't true factions, the only true faction in the game is THE ALLIANCE, everything else is just subfactions, but by endgame we are all members of the Alliance.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    They explicitly stated that there will be 6 jem'hadar faction specific missions - which are the missions they refer to when they're talking about how vorta would be unsuitable given that the story assumes you are a jem'hadar. They haven't said a word about how many (or if any) regular story missions that all factions can play will be included in addition to that. They also said that there was a tutorial/intro mission included in the new faction

I think the poster you quoted meant that there is one JH storyline, same for any faction you may join later.

The "6 missions" announced I understood to be new general play missions, not the number of JH origin missions - although the latter would be very much in line with the tutorials so far.
    Seems a bit silly for me to not have a playable Vorta.

While it would certainly possible - as has been said, this is just a game - it would also mean a certain additional discrepancy between gameplay and lore, since Vorta are portrayed as decidedly non-action types (they have the jemmies for that), so basically all ground content would violate that.

The fact that Eraun, after being stuck during the episode, killed all the prisoners and Jem'Hadar in his room singlehandedly during a Facility 4028 run notwithstanding.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It would really be much clearer if they would call these "factions" with the proper term: "origin story."

There are only two factions in the game, Fed and KDF.