test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

KDF Mission: Afterlife

korithian1korithian1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
I've been taking my delta recruit through the KDF missions, all has been going well and then I hit Afterlife and more particularly Herron Lord of the dead, though my issue is replicated by the Spectres.

They all seem to have a massive aoe attack that wipes out me or my away team. I get the plan of not standing in it, though my away team don't and often the damage is so high that even moving as soon as I'm in the flames I find I'm in a bad way.

This has lead me to running around in circles taking shots and getting lucky that nobody seems to get aoe'd to death. This doesn't seem to be sound tactics or any trick to it, rather a war of attrition where respawn until he stops wiping my away team out in 2 seconds. Though I couldn't tell you why in one go the team is wiped out instantly then the next respawn my team is left alone and we can slowly take them down.

So I was wondering if anyone had any tactical insight into this fight and if there is something I have missed in making it more about tactics and less about random chance.

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Just as a couple of general points; how are the away team's armors? Do you have any healing capacity - there's a couple abilities that can mitigate but I'm not sure how available they are at that rank.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    My Fleet Leader taught me how to do the fights on ground... and that was the tactic: KEEP MOVING....do not sit in one place at all. Especially, with the Big Boss Guys.

Oh... I thought I would add the other thing Fleet Leader told me: Always kill off the little mobs...then hit the Big Boss Guys.
    Post edited by where2r1 on
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • korithian1korithian1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    My armour and my team is okay. Generally a mix of green, blues and purples at the appropriate level. I'll admit I'm really just doing the missions while waiting on creating my Cardassian captain. As for healing while I'm tactical I have one medic and 2 engineers one who can drop a healing turret.

What I can't figure is why it appears so random, first fight against Herron he walks into the center becomes attackable and then my entire team is wiped out in fire, which must have been seconds after he became attackable. Then after a couple more similar respawn experience then next go his killed without anyone seeming to take much damage at all. Though I couldn't tell you what was different between attempts a, b, c vs d.

Now if its an armour/shield thing thats great cause I intend to have my Cardassian captain and his crew taken far slower through the story and far better equipped. But if its some tactics I'd rather know them than rely on the attrition method of victory. :)
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    It's not you; the encounters in Gre'thor are genuinely tough. The advice to keep moving is what I'd recommend as well, as the Exothermic Field or whatever that fire effect the bosses are using hits like a truck full of other trucks. If you survive the initial burst, you don't have a lot of time to get out of it before the damage over time cooks you.

The good news is that you're not set back terribly if you die. Just get up and kill them right back!
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I do not recall any problems with Afterlife. I rushed my KDF Delta Recruit through the missions though since I finished all of the required story arcs in 4 days. Therefore, many of the missions were kind of a blur.

The only advice I can give is to kill off all of the Fek'lhri minions off first before taking on the Boss.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    This may actually be one of the few missions scattering your bridge officers using the positioning key could be really helpful; Gre'thor inhabitants hit like bricks.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I'll just echo others. Keep moving ! ! ! That's what has always worked for me. When the nuclear holocaust gets aimed at me, and I'm always moving, by the time it lands I ain't there no more. If I get hit at all it's at the outside edge of the AoE and I don't take a lot of damage. It's not always successful which is why the below comes in handy.

As I'm running around, if an away team member goes down, I time it for in between AoE blasts and run over and revive them. If I keep all or even most of my away team alive then I can get them to revive me if I do go down. (After calling for help 1,000 times to get one of them to finally react that is). Respawns usually occur because every now and then all of them decide to run over to revive me, just as the AoE blast is ready again. Nothing like laying there calling for help numerous times while watching my away team hopping around like rabbits ignoring me, only to see them all, as one, come running over together to make sure the AoE attack will get us all. Quite funny actually

Almost forgot, I usually tell my away team to attack the big guy while I run around killing off the minions. That usually means the AoE doesn't even get aimed at me very often, at least not until the minions are gone and surprisingly my away team seems to be good at not bunching up and inviting a quick mass AoE death. Tell the truth, other than watching for one of them to go down, I pay no attention to them at all unless I'm on my Sci toon and even then I just glance at their health every now and then.

So, keep moving so you don't have the AoE hit you dead on, it will kill you before you can get outside it if it hits dead center.
    Don't shoot at the big guy until the minions are down, let your away team take the aggro from him instead, it's a lot easier for you to revive away team members than it is to try to get them to revive you.
    Revive downed away team members promptly, just try to do it while the AoE is still on cooldown.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    The onky problem I've ever had on this mission is a very old bug that occassionally make the enemies invicible, to fix die and respawn. As for Herron, he died in seconds, of course my new toon is using the Sompak Blast Assault weapon which can be equipped by low level characters.

This, the mobs at the alter wouldn't die but could still do it with a little distraction. Herron went down fast and I don't have anything special.
    This, the mobs at the alter wouldn't die but could still do it with a little distraction. Herron went down fast and I don't have anything special.

Now, THAT Guy went down like a brick. Used to be harder to do...so, not sure what is up with him.

And I use whatever whites and green loot drops and prizes I got.

Sompek weapons? Really....for low level story stuff??? Come on! And I am an old woman who sucks at video games...I don't even need it.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Change your engineer boff skills to turrets and mortars, they will distract enemies. A low-level shield recharge is also helpful.

For your science boff, nanite health monitor is nice because it goes where it's needed so the dumb boff AI doesn't waste it. Also good might be hyperonic radiation for the damage-over-time + contagion to other enemies. Single-target heals for the other two skills?

The tip to take out the minions as they appear is a good one. It's going to take awhile to wear down the boss so you'll take less damage getting rid of the minions as soon as possible.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Oh I don't need it, its just fun to be able to do it.

You know what is more fun???

Being able to come here to the Forums and knowing "I" did it with white and greens and a little bit of tactics and finessed it, instead of blasting through with fancy Event weapons.

And can tell you young kids about what an old woman with no talent with video games can do.
    YOU CAN DO THIS, TOO!

• kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    The mobs at the gate to Grethor bug the same way, invincible till you die then can kill them.