test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Deep Space Nine Gets a Complete Rework for Victory is Life!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
For the launch of Victory is Life, we've done a total overhaul of Deep Space Nine, making it the most show-accurate version yet. Here's Senior Environment Artist, Nick Duguid, on the changes and the process:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10878734

Comments

• zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    dedef9096b804b56cbd3eac29d4e6fd9.gif

Gamma Quadrant Here We Come! :smiley:
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Looks awesome!

I really hope we get the Holo-suites at Quarks (you know for Foundry doors: https://arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1237286/universal-holodeck-console-entry-for-all-foundry-holo-missions :tongue: ), functional transporter pads in Ops (a simple 'Beam to ship' button), and a revised parking arrangement outside the station (placing small and medium ships AROUND the outside of the Docking Ring, with large ships between the upper and lower pylons).

Can't wait to see it when it finally gets released this summer! Fantastic job everyone!
    Post edited by captainhunter1 on
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Nick mentioned something on his blog about the cardassian version of the LCARS. it came across as if he didn't even care about it. i dunno if that was just me thinking too much on that one.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    For the launch of Victory is Life, we've done a total overhaul of Deep Space Nine, making it the most show-accurate version yet. Here's Senior Environment Artist, Nick Duguid, on the changes and the process:

Are you going to finally scale the station so it isnt comically huge when youre flying around it in space?

Also please do Ops.... I didnt see it mentioned in the post.
    7NGGeUP.png

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I've spent most of the last 7 years camped out in DS9. I don't think I'll leave now pig-2.gif.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    I've spent most of the last 7 years camped out in DS9. I don't think I'll leave now pig-2.gif.​​

Right? Pretty sure I have spent the better part of the last 5 years with most of my characters sitting at DS9. Not a fan of ESD after the rebuild actually. Loved the old one (albeit it WAS too small, it WAS at least fully round so you would FEEL like you were walking around the station). Plus loved that DS9 was a port I could use for Fed, Kling, or Rom alts. Keep it uniform!

Anyway, this looks great! I'm excited! Can't wait to see the finished product!
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    Nick mentioned something on his blog about the cardassian version of the LCARS. it came across as if he didn't even care about it. i dunno if that was just me thinking too much on that one.

Or not thinking enough, perhaps? We have no idea what the Cardassian version of LCARS is. Everyone knows the term LCARS, so it's completely acceptable that he used it.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Looks good, though I wouldn't be surprised if Starfleet switched the consoles over to their own LCARS over the decades.

I don't see any mention on whether Second Wave and Boldly They Rode will be updated to match or not.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I'm hoping that with the overhaul, they'll also finally allow for characters to wear the clubwear outfits on the space station.
  • uncharted2420uncharted2420 Member Posts: 25 Arc User

That wasn't the revamp I had in mind, I was thinking Frontier class starbase from the books and that's not a revamp more of a facelift. And don't get me started on "Midnight"
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    will this revamp also FINALLY include the proper canon open/close/loop sound for the wormhole?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    Will Ops be similarly updated? No mention of it in the blog.
    HvGQ9pH.png

Or not thinking enough, perhaps? We have no idea what the Cardassian version of LCARS is. Everyone knows the term LCARS, so it's completely acceptable that he used it.

He could of just pointed to a Cardassian computer system without the comment on the end. it's the comment on the end that caught my attention.

sometimes it is the small things that get me worried if the overall value of the product is getting the best care, hence my thinking on the matter.

Anyway, i do apologise. I do like what the team have done from the pictures.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User

The Cardassian language is the least developed one of the four major species/factions. I think even more effort was put into developing the Vulcan language and the Andorian name structures than in the Cardassian tongue.

No one knows much about the Cardassian language, in fact, it doesn't even exist. I think you need to keep that in mind while reading that comment: he simply doesn't know and has no way of knowing it - or any Cardassian word for that matter.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    are there even ANY words in cardassian at all? i can't recall any offhand, other than the typical ones for the names/classes of their ships, food/drink and personal names​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • tychoantustychoantus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    What about a housing system in DS9 ? In the show there are different flats in different parts of the station.
    are there even ANY words in cardassian at all? i can't recall any offhand, other than the typical ones for the names/classes of their ships, food/drink and personal names​​

that wasn't my point at all, but it does raise an interesting question about the Cardassian computer language.
    there are plenty of cardassian symbols as an equivilent to an alphabet. it usually starts top center and works towards the left and right middle sides, and lines of symbols beneath this usually branching downwards and they branch off from there on some screens. on others it's a line through symbols.

only two words in Star trek have ever been said in Cardassian, "Odo'idal", which means nothing and "Nor" which could mean station.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Cardassian_language
    Are you going to finally scale the station so it isnt comically huge when youre flying around it in space?
    They already said they wont change the size of the station on the outside because then it would be impossible to see with so many players piled up on it.

Thats always been a terrible reason. Always. Since its easilly fixed by moving the spawn point when beaming up to someplace that isnt between the upper dcking pylons. This would also have the added beenfit of stopping Ops from asking you if you want to beam down immediately after beaming up. Theres n excise for the station to be so comically large anymore, especially with Cryptics recent attempts at proper scaling and canon dimensions on models.
    7NGGeUP.png

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Upcoming *Flash Sale*... All old DS9 furnature and knick-knacks! :D
    That ignores the fact people chose to park there because they can, not simply because that is where they get beamed out.

I mean... no. Because whenever Im in DS9 space its just 20 people sittign there in the same spot theyve been beamed out to, and then getting jumbled around when a new person gets beamed out.

There is not excuse for leaving DS9 so comically large. It looks awful, especially compared to the properly sized ESD.
    7NGGeUP.png

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    tyler002 wrote: »
    Looks good, though I wouldn't be surprised if Starfleet switched the consoles over to their own LCARS over the decades.

I don't see any mention on whether Second Wave and Boldly They Rode will be updated to match or not.

Well... They didn't update the map for ESD for Surface Tension. It's still a destroyed partial version of the orignal ESD map. However... that can be handwaved as being a different deck and a lot lower on the station than the current social hub map, which looks to be in the top areas as it has a clear view of ships inside. Boldly They Rode and Second Wave would be harder to hadwave because they are on the Promenade.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I think there's a lot Cryptic has done wrong over the last couple of years, but despite that; I'm still looking forward to this revamp & have confidence in Cryptic's execution of it making it more accurate & "better". I'm still impressed with the voice-over talent assembled for this VIL. I'm still skeptical, overall, of Cryptic & I expect there will be a few bugs/glitches that will require fixing with a patch or even a repatch for a week or two after VIL's release, but I think this expansion has a lot of potential for STO. Something needs to be done to stop the slow drain to STO besides "rebalancing" "nerfs" & more gambling mechanics it needs a revitalization.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    Superb environment design. Looks great! I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering how you handled the airlock type doors... hopefully they open every so often and new visitor NPCs to the station enter the promenade. Would be nice if they could also be manually opened to be RP friendly. Looking forward to having a jumja stick soon.
  • mauiman186#9653 mauiman186 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    My question is, will we be able to go around in a complete circle like how we have been able to? And will we be able to still visit the upper promenade deck? And what about the outer ring where all the docking is? Will we be able to go there?
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    My question is, will we be able to go around in a complete circle like how we have been able to? And will we be able to still visit the upper promenade deck? And what about the outer ring where all the docking is? Will we be able to go there?

Did you read the blog post? Two of your questions are answered there.
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

LOL me too. It will always be my favorite place because i loved the show. This is something i've been wishing for years to happen like when they revamped ESD. If they do this well i will be very happy. Please let this be a major social hub for the game too. Hope we finally see some parties at Quarks.
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    tychoantus wrote: »
    What about a housing system in DS9 ? In the show there are different flats in different parts of the station.

Wow ok this would be awesome.