test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rattler's Annual Tips and Tricks Thread

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Its absurd how much trolling and spamming is tolerated since trendy left :(

Like baiting an extended argument about who's post was first? I'll state it quite frankly so people can move on from this: it was Rattler and their winter event tips and tricks thread is an annual one. Tactical Rook did a great job putting this together and I hope that it can be incorporated along with the first thread.

So with that: stay focused on helping people out so once everything's sorted out the community has the best resources on hand for making the most out of the winter event.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    I don't mind this thread being incorporated with the other one, the main thing is to help folks out and share info and tips about the winter event.

But if they are merged, I'd recommend it be into this one, or that the other one is renamed, as it currently has some other players' name (rattler or something) all over it. I'd be a bit wrong for a community oriented thread like this, which is open to contributions from everyone, to be put under the name of a single player, who seems to be focussing on building some kind of brand. Just my 2 cents
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • maddscottmaddscott Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    Helpful hints for the PvE race. You can basically sum it up by telling folks you don't have to run... Just jog around corners, and run on the straight portions.. Actually, you can "jog" the whole course and "straighten" out corners and never loose against the NPC.

But, why not show some of the other, NWSC (Not Safe For Cryptic) hints that seem to never get mentioned and make players disappear from Wonderland when Questioned ?? Such as -

(1) PvP Race - No 1st place Flag ?? Seems some folks have the ability to be able to grab the 1st palace flag without ever being in the race. Last year, there was something about changing instances, but that was "fixed" at about 80% effectiveness

(2) PvP Race - The Infamous "Bunny Hoppers" - you know them, they are the guys that start jumping at the start and finish the race before the "real" folks clear the turn after the big drop off.. They usually leave Wonderland immediately after the race. Been going on since the First Winter Wonderland..

Wonderland is probably my favorite "Special Event" we have. Wonderland is also about the only time I have chat closed. Absolutely too much whinning, trolling, and general BS to contend with. So.. I do my thing and move on.

So.. want to level the playing field ?? Give hints for races ?? Why not tell the whole story.. tyvm..

• zaichalzaichal Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    Think I prefer @tacticalrook's effort in creating a winter event thread, since he's consistantly a very helpful and generous player.

It doesn't matter who posted first. Only which is better quality. Hopefully the mods will recognise that.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    Thread: THE WINTER EVENT TIPS AND TRICKS THREAD - 2017 @tacticalrook

pIWTn8y.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Thank you folks for giving me a very valuable tip today. I hope everyone has a pleasant Winter.
    Post edited by tacticalrook on
    /channel_join grind
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »
    As a fan of rally games, I treat it as such without a need to jump. Just take your foot off the gas and drift into corners.
    I managed a few runs where I managed to not stop ever. The trick is to learn the precise boundaries and turn on the edge of the track.

If you get to know the boundaries, and how to adjust for a slide and use the edges that you can touch to your advantage to give you a bit of friction to alter your course, you can do the whole thing without ever even letting off sprint.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, leave it to this crew to manage to turn this type Thread into another meaningless fight.

After attempting the Fastest Race the first year I started playing (2013) and almost giving up after a few days, I took someone's advice and rolled through the tighter corners. Have not lost to an opponent since. I usually have to double tap 'W' on turns between 9 and 12 times. Speed boosts not needed but the race is run full out. You lose a bit of time but the results are still a victory. The closest opponent is the ice spider.

I have been DQ'd less than six times in all those runs. Some being at the start when the game itself transported me into a run that some other knucklehead who cut line also got transported into first.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    The new boss seems a killer and probably running LIVE on tribble. It would be nice if someone could update this once it runs?​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
    Combat tips:
    Once you're off and running in the winter event (ie. have a weapon) you're going to be looking at ways of increasing your firepower. You do this through devices. They'll effectively take the place of kit powers and they follow along with their analogs. Snowball turret: acts like a phaser/disruptor turret, shaved ice gateway acts like a solar gateway, ect. However, these all have comparatively have long cooldowns to their original abilities, so you'll have to meter device use for best effect.

So, if you want to have the most fun/success with winter ground combat you'll want to pick four up. Exactly which four is a matter of preference. I haven't found any of them to be particularly useless but depending on which weapon you have, you'll prioritize different devices. Ex. if using a single target weapon, you'll want more minions. If you have AOE, you want more control and direct attacks.

Turrets, gingerbread squad, and shaved ice gateway are what I tend to favor. The "avalanche" snowball strike can give you a big hit against bosses, and clutch AOE hit on an overwhelming snowman horde (either way, use it sparingly). The candy cane caltrops might not seem useful but they can be of big help holding back waves of assimilated snowman and they can still be used in other events as a DOT hit against stationary bosses (so don't rule them out.) IIRC, it also has a relatively short cooldown compared to other winter event devices.

The Kos'karii boss stage of Klingon ice fishing requires careful turret placement. It's sweeping AOE attack will knock them out of firing range. There is a sweet spot (~20m IIRC) where they'll still fire at the boss but avoid the knock back attack. Save your turrets until the Kos'karii appears and then try your best to hit that sweet spot.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    I thought about this while setting up Admiralty today and looked at the logs for one of my characters for Fastest Game on Ice. Her fastest completion time for the entire mission was 1:51, and that's with doing as I said above, sprint the whole way, swing the camera widely enough to drift through turns and use the safe edges to get a bit of traction when necessary to help on some of those turns as well. !:51 includes picking up the mission, getting to the start, starting, waiting for the timer to be able to move, getting back to the mission-giver and turning it in, as well as the race part.

If you get good at this, you can beat the opponent of someone who started just before you every time, provided they don't get disqualified. I have even beaten someone ahead of me who was ahead of their NPC opponent once.

This year will be the first year that I've done this where I'm not playing catch-up on something for any character. I missed 2012 due to taking a break from the game, so every character was behind on everything: ships, weapons, clothes and accolades, in 2013. They were all still behind on ships in 2014. I'd just gotten them caught up and then made some Delta Recruits, who needed everything from the event in 2015, and likewise in 2016 for the Temporal Agent.

I enjoy this event, in part because I come from a place where it snows a lot in Winter. There's something immensely satisfying about shooting snowmen with snow weapons and disintegrating them.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Thread bookmarked! :smiley:
    I know that I'll be back the moment the new stuff starts.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,197 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    IN Before the Lock or Sticky!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

01bdfe292fd458a42857c8219cc561d3--christmas-humor-christmas-signs.jpg​​
    Post edited by starcruiser#3423 on
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    This Thread is NOT going to be locked. A Moderator already merged two similar together into this. No point in doing that if one was going to lock it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited December 2017
    Doffing tips:

Yes, duty officer assignments are a thing you can think about during the winter event. They award holiday ornaments and this can be in significant quantities if you pay attention to when the assignments are available. Only a handful will appear per rotation in the winter event map proper (via the current map tab) but you can also find holiday assignments at faction hubs and academies. Combined you can take the grinding edge out of the event and relax into the various activities.

The required officers are not specific IIRC, so if you haven't built up a doff crew yet head on over to your recruitment contacts (at the academies and New Romulus Command) now and stock up for the start of the event.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    @rattler2 thanks for the thread. Going to be good fun this year (as it always is!).

Best tip i can think for the single player race is PRACTICE!! The track is there 24/7 and you can go round it as much as you want to get used to it before actually getting the race mission. Sure you'll have no NPC to chase you but tbh they are not the threat in the race itself, coming off the track and being disqualified is the biggest issues you'll need to face.

Jump & turn + stop is a good trick for corners. Or use the roll trick. Or even the old ease of the power and slide round corners. The choice is yours but you can practice until you get happy with it.

The map in the opening post is ideal to help too, it clearly shows where you can run, and some of the areas you can cut corners on.
    SulMatuul.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    honestly, since there's no consequence for failure, just running the PvE race over and over until you finally get it is fine.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    NOTE: There was THAT problem with characters NOT loading in game IF they were left in Winter Wonderland when you signed out. (Was that last year, or the year before last?)

Sure, it was fixed....BUT....

Just in case, I am still going to bring everyone back to First City (it may be New Rom Command or ESD, for you) before switching characters while Winter Event is going on.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    It's beginning look a lot like Qwissmas...
    Voynament.png
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Whatever you guys do, do not practice running on real ice in real life.
    hawku001x wrote: »
    Whatever you guys do, do not practice running on real ice in real life.
    But how else are you supposed to level up your skill in running on ice? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    And so the event is live!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    :: ZOOOOOM!!!::

:smiley:
    edited December 2017
    "Unrestricted Aggression" - Anyone get one yet? How do you like it? Is it any better than the "Flurry?"

Edit - Just got UA. At a guess, I'd say it's a a bit better than Flurry. but I like the "Pop-pop-pop" sound of the Flurry gun.

Now I'm curious about the new Cryo Visor. :)
    Post edited by zedbrightlander1 on
    UA is more of a single target weapon than Flurry.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Combat tips:
    Once you're off and running in the winter event (ie. have a weapon) you're going to be looking at ways of increasing your firepower. You do this through devices. They'll effectively take the place of kit powers and they follow along with their analogs. Snowball turret: acts like a phaser/disruptor turret, shaved ice gateway acts like a solar gateway, ect. However, these all have comparatively have long cooldowns to their original abilities, so you'll have to meter device use for best effect.

So, if you want to have the most fun/success with winter ground combat you'll want to pick four up. Exactly which four is a matter of preference. I haven't found any of them to be particularly useless but depending on which weapon you have, you'll prioritize different devices. Ex. if using a single target weapon, you'll want more minions. If you have AOE, you want more control and direct attacks.

Turrets, gingerbread squad, and shaved ice gateway are what I tend to favor. The "avalanche" snowball strike can give you a big hit against bosses, and clutch AOE hit on an overwhelming snowman horde (either way, use it sparingly). The candy cane caltrops might not seem useful but they can be of big help holding back waves of assimilated snowman and they can still be used in other events as a DOT hit against stationary bosses (so don't rule them out.) IIRC, it also has a relatively short cooldown compared to other winter event devices.

The Kos'karii boss stage of Klingon ice fishing requires careful turret placement. It's sweeping AOE attack will knock them out of firing range. There is a sweet spot (~20m IIRC) where they'll still fire at the boss but avoid the knock back attack. Save your turrets until the Kos'karii appears and then try your best to hit that sweet spot.
    One other thing.... MOST aspects of standard gear are utterly meaningless. Passive HP regen is NOT. So any armor or traits that passively increase your regen will help you stay active longer.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Also of note, you CAN switch your spec trees while in Q's Winter Wonderland, so switching to a ground spec may also help.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Also of note, you CAN switch your spec trees while in Q's Winter Wonderland, so switching to a ground spec may also help.

Are you suggesting that we go "Commando?' :#