test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Subscription: 500 Zen per Month vs Daily Lockbox Key

starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
Subscribers getting 500 Zen per month that can be used to buy anything in the C-Store or a daily lockbox key that is bound to the account on pickup.

Subscription: 500 Zen per Month vs Daily Lockbox Key 53 votes

500 Zen per Month
71%
ikonn#1068coldnapalmf9thretxcgaraks31sabrevt1100mirrorchaosgaevsmanwhere2r1lexusk19kodachikunomidnightrider7azrael605arliekkoscaptiannemo117seriousdavemadragemainacrashdragonvaloreahphoas 38 votes
Daily Lockbox Key (Bind to Account on Pickup)
28%
mikoto123adracounguisrandom909dragnridrt5universesoullessraptormavrocketjkwrangler2010dvonlucksteaengregspentirpider#8006bartimaeus#4158cmcougarpanzerbjorne39#2170 15 votes

Comments

• soullessraptorsoullessraptor Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    I'm leaning towards the key, simply because most people who have a subscription are probably already fairly loaded as far as C-Store stuff.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    It is the better deal. 500 Zen vs. 28 to 31 Lockbox keys per month even if only the subscriber can use them. So no selling them on the Exchange for easy EC. However, 500 Zen gives freedom to purchase what someone needs.
  • tirpider#8006 tirpider Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    Key (or the stuff it opens) can be sold. Sometimes for a little, sometimes for a lot. I feel the EC boost from keys would be more fun and rewarding than 500 zen.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    500 Zen per Month
    Lets be realistic here, that's not gonna happen. 500 zen vs. 30 keys (equals 3750 zen), what do you think is cryptic more inclined to part with?
    That aside I really prefer the zen because it lets me a) buy stuff from the store and b) trade for dil when the the rate skyrockets again. Almost miss those times when the exchange went up to the cap. >:)
    Post edited by seriousdave on
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    500 Zen per Month
    Dang...someone is dreaming.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    500 Zen per Month
    I say 500 zen but I still want my Captains Table!!!
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    I take it the OP took a look at Secret World Legends (they give a key a day with sub).

Thing is, keys there and keys here aren't the same thing. The design & purpose of the lockboxes aren't the same. There's no way they'd give 2k+ zen worth of keys with a STO sub.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    I take it the OP took a look at Secret World Legends (they give a key a day with sub).

Thing is, keys there and keys here aren't the same thing. The design & purpose of the lockboxes aren't the same. There's no way they'd give 2k+ zen worth of keys with a STO sub.

Correct, but Cache Keys cost more than Lockbox Keys. Each Cache Key in Secret World costs $1.50 which amounts to about $45 per month compared to the cost of $1.13 or $1.25 per Master Key in STO. So it would cost $33.75 per month for STO if a daily Lockbox key was set up. So one company is willing to give $45 in benefits for being a subscriber while Perfect Worlds is only willing to give $5 in benefits for being a subscriber.

The incentive for being a subscriber is lousy in STO since only Lifers benefit from the 500 Zen. Spending $15 per month for 500 Zen when someone can get 1500 Zen for the same price is an extremely lousy deal.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    tarran61 wrote: »
    I say 500 zen but I still want my Captains Table!!!

wasnt that suppose to be accessible from ESD
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • soullessraptorsoullessraptor Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @soullessraptor said:
    > I'm leaning towards the key, simply because most people who have a subscription are probably already fairly loaded as far as C-Store stuff.

Thats an incorrect assumption raptor, I've been subscribed for years and I only have a fraction of the c-store stuff, most of that from giveaways too. An account bound key is useless to me as it can only be used to open a box.

Key question is how much of it is actually of interest to you? At least lockboxes are always updating, whereas once you hit a certain point in the C-store, it'll be rather dull
  • captan2er0captan2er0 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    500 Zen per Month
    Beimg one of the people who have been subbed since day ine, I'd rather have the Zen as that's more useful to me. Honestly wouldn't mind a raise in it to maybe 750 or 1000 a month instead of 500, though. Might be a little more of an incenative for people to sub if they got more in return.

The vet rewards were really nice to look forward to. Just wish they didn't stop doing those past 1000 days.
    Signature%20Base%203%20copy.png?psid=1
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I'd take 30 keys vs 500 Zen in a heartbeat. A year of Zen is 6000 & would only get you ~62 keys if you bought them during a normal sale. I'd take the 365 BoA keys. The lobi alone would be worth more than the Zen.
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    500 Zen per Month
    500 zen per month. Though thats small for MMO's these days. But it can be used on keys, dili, and saving up for things.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    500 Zen per Month
    Love the 500z per month, i can use it for services, or ships, or anything, more flexible than a key...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    500 Zen per Month
    i choose the 500zen, it has a stable value in the game than one bound lockbox key per month with a variable value due to the RNG mechanic at work.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • cmcougarcmcougar Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I'd take 30 keys vs 500 Zen in a heartbeat. A year of Zen is 6000 & would only get you ~62 keys if you bought them during a normal sale. I'd take the 365 BoA keys. The lobi alone would be worth more than the Zen.

I'm with you on this one! Considering how often the boxes drop, and how pricey the one use keys are........I would glady sacrifice the zen in favor of the keys!

• leceterleceter Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    No, no more gambling please.
    This gambling box game mechanic will bee regulated sooner or later anyway
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    free daily lock box keys lol thats per character as well right? =p

you can dream.

speaking of dreams, i much prefer a subscription perk that lets me get all mission rewards in a single go... say featured ep runs 4 weeks, each week with a new equipment unlock and mission bonus box.... I run the mission 1st week, get all 4 equip and 4 bonus boxes all at once.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    IF Cryptic wanted to dampen loxkbox item prices on the Exchange, then a flood of BoA keys would do that.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    500 Zen per Month
    I'd stick with the 500zen stipend over the 4 lobi + junk a day that would come from the key.

Only thing that would change that is if the lockboxes actually start looking like being worth opening by reducing the amount of boosters to bolster the high drop chance list or by not burying items inside other items. That cosmetic shield being a chance drop from the weapon box was a move or the richard variety.

I tend to let my LTS stipend build while I wait for sales or a ship I like the look of. (so not those hideous MW ships the feds got)
  • Daily Lockbox Key (Bind to Account on Pickup)
    I voted for a key a day, as another has mentioned, in the long run the ec and lobi you'd get over time would be worth more. Doesn't Neverwinter another Cryptic/PWE game do a key per day for subs? I swore they did.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Honestly Cryptic/PWE are pretty stingy old misers when it comes to subscriptions and their gambling boxes.
    Many other more prominent MMO's are much more generous and easily give away a free lockbox/lootbox key daily. Heck, One particular game I play gives me 3 keys daily for being a premium club subscriber and gives everyone the chance to earn one additional key daily through daily challenges, as well as the occasional RNG Key drops when playing the game. And that has not stopped them from cashing in big time on selling them either to the "instant gratification" crowd.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q