test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is there a way to type special characters in Character or Ship Names?

In honor of my second language, Brasilian Portuguese, I would like to add names to ships such as São Paulo or Iguaçu but I do not know how to add the tilde over the a, or the cedilla on the c. Is there a way to do this in-game to add such names to ships?

Thank you in advance for your help!
CM
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble

Best Answer

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    It is not possible to enter non-english alphabet into ingame text fields by any means. This is a bit odd considering the game is localized in french and german, yet you may not enter french or german special characters into player text.

Answers

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    If you open up your word processor of choice and look up "special characters" (under insert in MS Word) the key commands for each is listed when selected. Type those and [in some cases] you'll be able to insert a special character in STO.

As it happens though, these particular tildes aren't supported in STO (just tried it in a boff's biography using copy-paste. That works too for some fields.) Maybe this is something Cryptic could update.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Intrestingly IIRC the letters "Ä", "Ö" and "Å" are supported IIRC, while the first 2 are pretty common glyphs in most European languages "Å" is exclusive to swedish.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Intrestingly IIRC the letters "Ä", "Ö" and "Å" are supported IIRC, while the first 2 are pretty common glyphs in most European languages "Å" is exclusive to swedish.

I copied and pasted your post into a STO bio field just to confirm and...none of those characters are supported there. What this means is that the bio field sucks when it comes to this kind of testing. I ran the letters in chat (along with those the OP was asking about) because I've seen German members of my fleet use umlauts and they worked just fine.

So what this means is that what's supported where is case-by-case. The OP may be able to use those tildes in some parts of the game (ex. chat and possibly Foundry dialog) but they won't necessarily be able to use them in naming fields. It depends on how Cryptic's set those up.

So give it at shot! If it works, great. If not, that's feedback for Cryptic.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Just to clarify, I was able yesterday through some trepidation to get the special characters to appear in the chat window using the "ALT+" commands, but the same commands would not work in the ship name or character name slots...

Just an explanation, the word "Iguaçu" is pronounced "ee-gwah-SOO" in Portuguese, whereas if I were to type it into the ship name field without the "ç", it would appear to be pronounced "ih-GWAH-koo", which just isn't right..

Still hoping for a way to enter these types of characters into ship/name fields...

Thanks for the comments!
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I was able yesterday through some trepidation to get the special characters to appear in the chat window using the "ALT+" commands, but the same commands would not work in the ship name or character name slots...

Just an explanation, the word "Iguaçu" is pronounced "ee-gwah-SOO" in Portuguese, whereas if I were to type it into the ship name field without the "ç", it would appear to be pronounced "ih-GWAH-koo", which just isn't right..

Still hoping for a way to enter these types of characters into ship/name fields...

Thanks for the comments!
    CM
    one possibility is to angicanize the name either by changing the spelling so it matches the pronounciation better (working within the pronounciation rules of english) or by simply accepting that using "c" isn't correct in portuguese but it's the closest you got to the correct letter in english.

same way "Jupiter" is spelled Jupiter and not IVPITER dispite latin not having lower case letters or the letters "j" or "u", or how USS Shenzhou uses translateration rather then chinese characters for the name.