test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] The issue with today's Endeavor

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Endeavor update, everyone!

We know the current endeavor cannot be completed. We're turning Foundry play on in our test server, Tribble, to see if it's functioning ok. If it is, we'll turn it on on live.

If not, we'll change the Endeavor.

Comments

• Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    Thanks for taking notice of the issue, Kael !

While we're at it, may we know what exactly is the problem with the Foundry as of late? I didn't really follow every reddit posts about the downtime, so i actually don't know for sure what caused it to be taken down for so long?
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    ashstorm1 wrote: »

While we're at it, may we know what exactly is the problem with the Foundry as of late? I didn't really follow every reddit posts about the downtime, so i actually don't know for sure what caused it to be taken down for so long?

Good question
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options

Good question

heh... We may never know if we don't try and ask <.<
    • Options
      psychoplattpsychoplatt Member Posts: 285 Arc User

Good question

heh... We may never know if we don't try and ask <.<

And we will never get an answer - bran flakes is gone and everone after him is just a ...

PSY
      nice u wasted so much time in your sig - i do not see it anyway :)
    • Options
      captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
      So wait...

The Foundry is currently broken. Has been down for weeks.

Suddenly it gets looked at on the Test Server and most likely will be turned back on temporarily - I assume in a broken state.

Has the Foundry not been being looked at for a fix until now? Or even looked at at all for the last few months?

UGH. I consider myself to be a patient customer, but this is starting to TRIBBLE me off.
    • Options
      spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
      So wait...

Suddenly it gets looked at on the Test Server and most likely will be turned back on temporarily - I assume in a broken state.

Has the Foundry not been being looked at for a fix until now? Or even looked at at all for the last few months?

UGH. I consider myself to be a patient customer, but this is starting to **** me off.

there was a issue that got fixed and then when they turned it back on they found another new problem.
    • Options
      ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
      So wait...

UGH. I consider myself to be a patient customer, but this is starting to **** me off.

The Foundry is experiencing issues. The team has been working very hard to fix them. They think they might have fixed play, and wanted to run some tests before just throwing it online.
    • Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
      Any news on a change of endeavor?
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • Options
        duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

The Foundry is experiencing issues. The team has been working very hard to fix them. They think they might have fixed play, and wanted to run some tests before just throwing it online.

Is there anything the community can be on the watch for (relevant to this issue) if the Foundry comes back online (and there's still some lingering uncertainty whether the issue was fixed)? Foundry peoples (particularly the Roundtable crew) can certainly throw our guinea pig like bodies at the problem if ever that would help you guys out. We greatly appreciate what you've been doing (and understand that TRIBBLE happens.)
        Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
        Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
        Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
      • Options
        zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
        Endeavour needs a lift. :p
        120920121523-space-shuttle-endeavour-13-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg
        f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
        Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
      • Options

Is there anything the community can be on the watch for (relevant to this issue) if the Foundry comes back online (and there's still some lingering uncertainty whether the issue was fixed)? Foundry peoples (particularly the Roundtable crew) can certainly throw our guinea pig like bodies at the problem if ever that would help you guys out. We greatly appreciate what you've been doing (and understand that **** happens.)

What he said. I'm no super-expert myself on the matter, although i did publish a few Foundry episodes that received pretty decent feedback, so mayhaps i could give a hand as well.
      • Options
      • Options
        Terran_empire_logo.jpg
      • Options
        thecrusher#6644 thecrusher Member Posts: 41 Arc User

Is there anything the community can be on the watch for (relevant to this issue) if the Foundry comes back online (and there's still some lingering uncertainty whether the issue was fixed)? Foundry peoples (particularly the Roundtable crew) can certainly throw our guinea pig like bodies at the problem if ever that would help you guys out. We greatly appreciate what you've been doing (and understand that **** happens.)

I actually inquired about this earlier; although have since completed the termination of 20 Terran Ships (thank you to the Dev Team for the quick change BTW :D ) ...and I'd made my inquiry through the support ticket system instead of the forum as a point of etiquette (the etiquette being that when there's such an obvious goof, sometimes it can cause embarrassment, so it's best to quietly mention it on the side given the 11-16-2017 patch notes specifically stating Foundry is down; quietly mention, just like someone would be treated in real life) , but clearly the cat's not only been out of the bag today, but had a litter of kittens to boot... sooo...

I think duncanidaho11's question is the most important thing mentioned in the thread at this point... Is there anything we can all do within the STO community to spot whatever issues are happening and keep the dev team updated? (Yes, I'm asking the same question duncanidaho11 did) :)

Also, while I'm not a huge participant in Foundry at this time, I do love a good story, and frankly there are some very talented people writing Foundry Missions. The last one I did was very impressive to me, so much so I tipped! :D Also, while I'm not completely satisfied with my the progress I've made on my characters, I'm getting close to feeling like a few of them are well established, so at some point I may write a Foundry Mission tying their stories (featured in each character's bio) together.

The above being said; What specifically are the issues with Foundry? ...are the issues...

A. Related to Foundry Mission creation?

B. Related to running/playing Foundry Missions?

C. Any issues that can be brought to the community's attention with some detail that don't match the classifications asked about in "A." & "B." ?

D. Some combination of issues including or exlcuding those asked about above?

I think all anyone knows within the STO Community itself is Foundry's a lot like an Almond Joy.... "Sometimes it feels like a nut, and sometimes it doesn't." BTW... if age is a factor here and you don't get the reference to the Candy Ad in the '80's and '90's don't worry about it, but more seriously;

What's going on? How can we help?

- Lifetime Gamer & Trekker :D

Regards,

- Lifetime Gamer
      • Options
        The above being said; What specifically are the issues with Foundry? ...are the issues...

A. Related to Foundry Mission creation?

B. Related to running/playing Foundry Missions?

C. Any issues that can be brought to the community's attention with some detail that don't match the classifications asked about in "A." & "B." ?

D. Some combination of issues including or exlcuding those asked about above?

What's going on? How can we help?

- Lifetime Gamer & Trekker

Hey, just to chime in from what we know on the community side: the last we heard is that there's an issue with publishing [the process of sending a mission to live STO] that was severe enough to take the Foundry back down after missions were successfully brought back online (following season 14 downtime, which is normal as big season updates can break things.)

How this manifests itself we don't know. The publishing problem was discovered by the "core" team (which works between Cryptic titles. This apparently affects both Neverwinter and STO) and the community was never able to test manual publishing ourselves. We were only able to play a few missions (successfully) before the Foundry had to go back down. A fix was attempted but it appears to have been unsuccessful (assuming the issue now is the same one as the one previously mentioned. It's possible something new could have come up.)

So basically we're in the dark about this and the reason for that might just be that the Foundry's current issue is a technical one. Servers and the interactions between may be involved (from a reference on twitter at the start of all this.) If Cryptic ever needs more bodies on tribble, then we can certainly put the call out. But, it's worth noting (just so people here don't get the wrong idea and start a sign-up sheet now) that we have no idea whether it'll ever come to that. It's just an offer of help if it happens that might be useful (though more likely, this is just going to take more time.) :)
        Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
        Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
      • Options
        dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
        So sad no one asks the question "Can this be done?" before having it go live.
      • Options
        frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
        How this manifests itself we don't know. The publishing problem was discovered by the "core" team (which works between Cryptic titles. This apparently affects both Neverwinter and STO) and the community was never able to test manual publishing ourselves.

That's interesting. I wonder which parts of the game are handled by the STO team and which are handled by this "core" team. Sometimes, I get the feeling that the STO team consists only of artists, designers, QA, and a few managers, and any work that falls outside of the scope of those jobs requires someone from the "core" team to step in. That may explain why some things take so long to fix.
        Waiting for a programmer ...
        qVpg1km.png
      • Options
        spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
        frtoaster wrote: »
        How this manifests itself we don't know. The publishing problem was discovered by the "core" team (which works between Cryptic titles. This apparently affects both Neverwinter and STO) and the community was never able to test manual publishing ourselves.

That's interesting. I wonder which parts of the game are handled by the STO team and which are handled by this "core" team. Sometimes, I get the feeling that the STO team consists only of artists, designers, QA, and a few managers, and any work that falls outside of the scope of those jobs requires someone from the "core" team to step in. That may explain why some things take so long to fix.
        it seems that cryptic's games share quite a lot "under the hood" so to speak and as such there's quite a few things that can effect more then 1 game which would mean it's the responsibility of the core team.

While I do suspect that there's programmers just for STO exclusive issues like for example weapon balance and such, it seems that most if not all issues that effect the game overall or at least a major part of it are handled by the core team. That said I also suspect that a lot of people under estimate just how complex STO is (and thus under estimate how hard things are to fix).
      • Options
        edited November 2017
        frtoaster wrote: »

That's interesting. I wonder which parts of the game are handled by the STO team and which are handled by this "core" team.

Since the issue affects both the Neverwinter and STO foundry, and it might be attributable to the servers, it does sound reasonable that the core team discovered it. For the studio makeup: one thing to point out is that we hear a lot from designers, artists, QA, writers, and managers but this isn't necessarily reflective of the full staff. It's just reflective of who's been hopping onto public outreach (ex. Ten Forward weekly, community podcasts.) It's a skill and it comes up for some jobs more than others (ex. ship artists and mission designers. Their content is marketed and they help promote it.)

PS. for those aching for the Foundry to return I do have a few community channels that can help occupy downtime.

Legion of Myth's Foundry team ups (these guys are fun, very reminiscent of MST3k.)
        Youtube Link

DougGlendower's Far Beyond the Foundry reviews (giving an author's perspective on missions)
        Youtube Link

ZEF's playthrough of AmbassadorKael's first mission.
        Youtube Link

And the Foundry Roundtable (dedicated Foundry podcast)
        Youtube Link
      • Options
        where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
        Which thread is updates for Foundry fixes located? Can you link me here? I don't seem to get the Foundry part of the forums in my "Discussions" for some reason. And I am keeping an eye out for a friend when it comes back up.
        "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
      • Options
        This is what we've been using. There's been a lot of discussion already and we've thrashed out the major issues of "why don't they give ETA's?" and "what's the deal with this anyway?" So, for the sake of people's sanity (ie. mine), we're hoping to keep things down to "simply, are there any updates?" :)
        https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1235715/current-foundry-status-down-missions-and-editor
      • Options
        where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
        This is what we've been using. There's been a lot of discussion already and we've thrashed out the major issues of "why don't they give ETA's?" and "what's the deal with this anyway?" So, for the sake of people's sanity (ie. mine), we're hoping to keep things down to "simply, are there any updates?" :)
        https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1235715/current-foundry-status-down-missions-and-editor

Thanks, I bookmarked it. I will check over there for updates.
        "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
      • Options
        thecrusher#6644 thecrusher Member Posts: 41 Arc User
        Ditto on the bookmarking. Thank you for that information, and thank you to all that posted after I somewhat repetitiously asked about what we're all wondering as to specifics.

It may be in the "non-'Core'" STO Crytpic team's interest to see about having improved liaising between themselves and the "Core Team" because clearly there are some easily observable communication issues that likely involve the STO Team having to engage in a lot of repetition themselves with the Core Team. I can only imagine the insanity they must go through to make sure things get done though. Either way, communication between the departments needs to be looked at more concretely and concertedly to everyone's mutual benefit; including the STO community.

At some point, it would be nice to hear about the specifics, but with communication problems of some sorts being apparent between the departments, I'm certainly reasonable enough to understand why we've not gotten and/or will be unlikely to get a detailed response with the specifics.

That being said, people in the STO Foundry Community, are clearly willing to help. I'll gladly sign up for such a list to test Foundry too, and transfer a few characters, even to Redshirt if necessary. Whatever it takes, and I'm glad to see so many in the STO Community wanting to help. :)

Happy Holidays everyone. :D

- Lifetime Gamer
        Regards,

- Lifetime Gamer
      • Options
        strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
        Endeavour needs a lift. :p
        120920121523-space-shuttle-endeavour-13-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

That is clearly a good one. <3
        0zxlclk.png