test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spore Drive Top Secret Failer (Cannon Talk Star Trek Discovery)

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    If everyone's crazy, then no one is. In the wise words of Nessus the puppeteer, "The majority is always sane, Louis."
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    I would love it if that were the case, but i don't see Trek going down the Lovecraftian nebulous cosmic horror path.

TOS is full of Lovecraftian nebulous cosmic horrors. Redjac, giant green space hands, the frickin' space amoeba... it's got it all.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    I would love it if that were the case, but i don't see Trek going down the Lovecraftian nebulous cosmic horror path.

TOS is full of Lovecraftian nebulous cosmic horrors. Redjac, giant green space hands, the frickin' space amoeba... it's got it all.
    True. Heck, there was a sort of run-through plot in TNG dealing with one - a capricious, unpredictable god-being with the manners and morals of a spoiled child. Main difference is that in Trek, the nebulous cosmic horrors don't remain unexplained, because unlike Lovecraft's protagonists, Trek characters aren't afraid of the unknown, they explore it instead.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Also Trek does the "ancient evil" trope a lot. Granted such things often get killed by the heroes, but not always.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Also Trek does the "ancient evil" trope a lot. Granted such things often get killed by the heroes, but not always.

Yeah true enough but none of the bad dudes they encounter in terms of cosmic entities really feel all that terrible do they? I mean the most threatening thing they need to deal with is mostly inter-faction wars (Klingon, Romulan, Dominion etc.)
    On the odd occasion they come across something a bit iffy they normally get away with minimal casualties and more importantly their sanity intact! Things like Nagilum from TNG, or that massive ship devouring slug from Bliss

Space should be full of all sorts of weird and terrifying things that mere humans and similar species cannot possibly fathom. But as this is a Trek show and not American Horror Story then we are unlikely to get that sort of treatment.
    SulMatuul.png
    Why should there be things we "cannot possibly fathom"? Lovecraft had some serious issues, including a terror of the unknown. To most of humanity, though, the unknown is something to learn about, not hide from.

Sure, there's stuff we won't understand at first glance, but why stop at one glance?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Space should be full of all sorts of weird and terrifying things that mere humans and similar species cannot possibly fathom. But as this is a Trek show and not American Horror Story then we are unlikely to get that sort of treatment.

Well... Kelvin Timeline McCoy did say that "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ryurangerryuranger Member Posts: 520 Arc User
    If anyone says that the Show takes place in the Kelvin timeline I shall Report them for going off topic This is Cannon Nothing more Nothing less Yes The Drive can go to other Realities and Time it self it is most likely that starfleet never went in Development on the Spore Drive Because of the the lost of Discovery in the End of Episode 9 We just have to wait and see how it holds up but who knows what may happen though
    May the Shwartz Be With You
    CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    ryuranger wrote: »
    If anyone says that the Show takes place in the Kelvin timeline I shall Report them for going off topic This is Cannon Nothing more Nothing less Yes The Drive can go to other Realities and Time it self it is most likely that starfleet never went in Development on the Spore Drive Because of the the lost of Discovery in the End of Episode 9 We just have to wait and see how it holds up but who knows what may happen though

They could have ended up in the Kelvin Universe. There are 2 options where Discovery originated, the Prime Universe or some parallel universe that we haven't seen before. There are 3 options of what happened to the Discovery, time travel, dimensional travel, and intergalactic travel. So it is possible that Discovery originated in the 23rd Century Prime Universe and ended up in the 24th or 25th Century Prime Universe. It is also possible that Discovery ended up in the Kelvin Universe or Prime Universe. Travelling tens of thousands of light years away has already been done with Voyager so travelling to the Andromeda Galaxy is the next best thing. Might be interesting to have Discovery set in the Andromeda Galaxy since it doesn't need to have the majority of aliens as humanoids due to the Preserver species not being in the Andromeda Galaxy.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @jonsills said:
    > So far, the Spore Drive not only requires a biological component, it damages the biological component. Given the existence of warp drive, I can see where Starfleet would toss spores into the big bin of "well, that didn't work...".

A sentient biological compenent at that, so you can't just stick a cow in it and call it a day.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    > @jonsills said:
    > So far, the Spore Drive not only requires a biological component, it damages the biological component. Given the existence of warp drive, I can see where Starfleet would toss spores into the big bin of "well, that didn't work...".

A sentient biological compenent at that, so you can't just stick a cow in it and call it a day.

Technically you actually could, given that "sentient" actually means "able to feel". Sci-fi writers have continually conflated the word with "sapient", "able to think".

/ragingpedant
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Technically you actually could, given that "sentient" actually means "able to feel". Sci-fi writers have continually conflated the word with "sapient", "able to think".

/ragingpedant

giphy.gif

Every single time. Even if the debate around sapient animals is still ongoing, there is literally no question whether they're sentient.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

They could have ended up in the Kelvin Universe. There are 2 options where Discovery originated, the Prime Universe or some parallel universe that we haven't seen before. There are 3 options of what happened to the Discovery, time travel, dimensional travel, and intergalactic travel. So it is possible that Discovery originated in the 23rd Century Prime Universe and ended up in the 24th or 25th Century Prime Universe. It is also possible that Discovery ended up in the Kelvin Universe or Prime Universe. Travelling tens of thousands of light years away has already been done with Voyager so travelling to the Andromeda Galaxy is the next best thing. Might be interesting to have Discovery set in the Andromeda Galaxy since it doesn't need to have the majority of aliens as humanoids due to the Preserver species not being in the Andromeda Galaxy.

Good points. I do believe however Lorca is the key. IMO wherever Lorca is from Discovery ends up or its the other way around.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I'm sorry...but people still think TRIBBLE cares one bit about past canon?!?
    Good point, fans care far more about canon than any Star Trek writer.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I'm sorry...but people still think TRIBBLE cares one bit about past canon?!?

They've already said they're not going to use the Romulans b/c "Balance of Terror". They're following canon in broad strokes but allowing themselves to change details that no longer make sense (like the Federation having a death penalty in "The Menagerie").
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

They originated in the Prime Timeline as the writers and producers state and will not be going anywhere near the Kelvin Timeline as they do not have permission to use that setting. Though as you made up the term 'Kelvin Universe' they could possibly go there, maybe, it's as likely as them going to the Flerbal Universe, but there's no rights issues with fan concepts.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    artan42 wrote: »

They originated in the Prime Timeline as the writers and producers state and will not be going anywhere near the Kelvin Timeline as they do not have permission to use that setting. Though as you made up the term 'Kelvin Universe' they could possibly go there, maybe, it's as likely as them going to the Flerbal Universe, but there's no rights issues with fan concepts.​​

Kelvin Timeline implies that it branched off from the Prime Universe while Kelvin Universe gives no explanation how it is created. Since there is no canon explanation for how the Kelvin Universe was created, then it could be created by branching off from the Prime Universe, it could be a parallel universe that just looked like the 23rd Century, or some other explanation. When dealing with an infinite number of parallel universes, there will always be some that are in different centuries.

Canon is not dictated by what the producers and writers say in interviews, but by what is shown in the movies and TV series. Otherwise, the catgirls in Into Darkness are Caitians and not some new alien race. So either the catgirls in Into Darkness are Caitians and the Kelvin Timeline branched off from the Prime Universe in 2233 due to what was said in interviews by the creators of the new Star Trek movies or the catgirls in Into Darkness are some new alien race and we don't know if Spock and Nero traveled to a branched timeline or a parallel universe due to an adherence to canon being limited to the movies and TV series.

I prefer the parallel universe theory for reasons in the following paragraph, but if Discovery or some future Star Trek TV series or movies states that Nero created a branched timeline, then I will accept the branched timeline theory. The alternate reality clip in Star Trek 2009 is not evidence since the Enterprise crew doesn't know if Nero came from the 24th Century or a parallel universe that looked like their 24th Century. STO has already established that the Kelvin Timeline is a parallel universe with the Terminal Expanse mission, "In 2387, an incident created a quantum rift between our universe and this one....This caused their timeline to differs from ours - as a result, we now refer to it as the Kelvin Timeline." Of course, it is most likely that there is a Kelvin-STO universe and a Kelvin-Movies universe since what is established as canon for STO is not canon for Star Trek canon.

The benefit of it being a parallel universe and not a branched timeline is that canon from any event before 2233 is not a concern. The people in charge of the new Star Trek movies have the freedom to make the Star Trek that they want without being restricted by the previous Star Trek series and movies. Also, it removes all temporal paradoxes. There is no concern about the Prime Universe being wiped out and replaced with the Kelvin Timeline since what happens in a parallel universe stays in a parallel universe.

After all, Spock and Nero traveled through a black hole to a place that looked like the 23rd Century Prime Universe, but we have absolutely no idea if he traveled to the 23rd Century Prime Universe. Only Old Spock would be able to tell the difference between time travel and interdimensional travel and that is assuming that he has the proper equipment, it is working, and he has the time and will to figure it out due to every universe has a unique quantum signature according to Parallels.
    Canon is not dictated by what the producers and writers say in interviews
    According to who? The "holy writ of Starkaos"?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Canon is not dictated by what the producers and writers say in interviews
    According to who? The "holy writ of Starkaos"?

Actually, the holy writ of Artan42 since according to them, if it is not in the TV series or movies, then it is not canon.
    I thought @artan42 was banished to the marmite mines for heresy?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Actually, the holy writ of Artan42 since according to them, if it is not in the TV series or movies, then it is not canon.

Um, isn't that the whole canon policy of Star Trek? Movies and episodes are canon, novels/games/etc are not?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    I thought @artan42 was banished to the marmite mines for heresy?

Looks like it. I can respect a canon purist since very few people read every interview about a particular show and limiting canon to what is shown in the TV series and movies makes what is canon simpler to understand. There is already too much contradictions in the TV series and movies that we don't need more contradictions.

It is much easier to say that the catgirls in Into Darkness is a completely new and unnamed alien race instead of trying to figure out some way to explain how Caitians turned into catgirls like only some Caitian races have fur, a genetic disorder, or ripples in time caused by the USS Kelvin's destruction affected the evolutionary history of countless alien races. Also there is the issue of crazy **** that is said in interviews like Archer is Future Guy.

So it is easier to say that we don't know what the Kelvin Timeline is, what race the catgirls in Into Darkness are, or which universe Discovery is set in until it is explained in a TV series or movie. At least we should know where Discovery ended up in about a month. If the Discovery creators want to be true to Star Trek canon, then this could be the way to do it. If Discovery didn't have Sarek and Mudd and renamed the Klingons to some other alien race, then Discovery could have just as easily been set in the 25th Century. Discovery just seems to be more advanced in technology compared to TOS with holographic displays, holodeck, androids, and a few other instances.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    artan42 wrote: »

They originated in the Prime Timeline as the writers and producers state and will not be going anywhere near the Kelvin Timeline as they do not have permission to use that setting. Though as you made up the term 'Kelvin Universe' they could possibly go there, maybe, it's as likely as them going to the Flerbal Universe, but there's no rights issues with fan concepts.

Kelvin Timeline implies that it branched off from the Prime Universe while Kelvin Universe gives no explanation how it is created. Since there is no canon explanation for how the Kelvin Universe was created, then it could be created by branching off from the Prime Universe, it could be a parallel universe that just looked like the 23rd Century, or some other explanation. When dealing with an infinite number of parallel universes, there will always be some that are in different centuries.

Canon is not dictated by what the producers and writers say in interviews, but by what is shown in the movies and TV series. Otherwise, the catgirls in Into Darkness are Caitians and not some new alien race. So either the catgirls in Into Darkness are Caitians and the Kelvin Timeline branched off from the Prime Universe in 2233 due to what was said in interviews by the creators of the new Star Trek movies or the catgirls in Into Darkness are some new alien race and we don't know if Spock and Nero traveled to a branched timeline or a parallel universe due to an adherence to canon being limited to the movies and TV series.

I prefer the parallel universe theory for reasons in the following paragraph, but if Discovery or some future Star Trek TV series or movies states that Nero created a branched timeline, then I will accept the branched timeline theory. The alternate reality clip in Star Trek 2009 is not evidence since the Enterprise crew doesn't know if Nero came from the 24th Century or a parallel universe that looked like their 24th Century. STO has already established that the Kelvin Timeline is a parallel universe with the Terminal Expanse mission, "In 2387, an incident created a quantum rift between our universe and this one....This caused their timeline to differs from ours - as a result, we now refer to it as the Kelvin Timeline." Of course, it is most likely that there is a Kelvin-STO universe and a Kelvin-Movies universe since what is established as canon for STO is not canon for Star Trek canon.

The benefit of it being a parallel universe and not a branched timeline is that canon from any event before 2233 is not a concern. The people in charge of the new Star Trek movies have the freedom to make the Star Trek that they want without being restricted by the previous Star Trek series and movies. Also, it removes all temporal paradoxes. There is no concern about the Prime Universe being wiped out and replaced with the Kelvin Timeline since what happens in a parallel universe stays in a parallel universe.

After all, Spock and Nero traveled through a black hole to a place that looked like the 23rd Century Prime Universe, but we have absolutely no idea if he traveled to the 23rd Century Prime Universe. Only Old Spock would be able to tell the difference between time travel and interdimensional travel and that is assuming that he has the proper equipment, it is working, and he has the time and will to figure it out due to every universe has a unique quantum signature according to Parallels.

All of that would be correct if not for the fat that canon refers to internal material. The setting of a show or film is a matter of production.

The setting of the majority of the Kelvin Timeline films is in the Kelvin Timeline, this is simply a production note. No different from DS9 being set in the Alpha Quadrant onboard the Space Station Deep Space Nine in the Prime Timeline.

Production has told us the setting of DSC is the Prime Timeline roughly 10 years prior to the bulk of TOS. It has told us the KT films are set mainly in the KT excluding the Kelvin scenes from the beginning of the first film and the location from which Spock and Nero originate.

The difference is the setting informs what material is produced. A gormless writer agreeing with an equally gormless fan with no memory of what type of alien a Caitian is then assuming they can retcon that into the story is not a matter of production, it's a matter of attempted universe expanding that is irrelevant as it was never mentioned onscreen before or after the half hearted attempt for said gormless writer to try look like he knew something about ST.

So, yes, we do know where and when and in what timeline the KT or DSC are set regardless of weather it's mentioned in the episodes or films or not for the same reason we know what canon is. It's been decided by production.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    The setting of the story has to rely on the story itself not on internal material or else it is just poor storytelling. If Discovery is set 10 years before TOS, then it has to look like it is 10 years before TOS. Technology like holographic displays, holodecks, and android crewmembers can't exist in Discovery if it isn't in TOS or else it ruins the setting or an extremely good explanation is required by Lorca or one of the crew members for why we don't see it in TOS.
    Kaos, are you still hung up on the fact that the aesthetic displayed by a sci-fi show produced in 2017 doesn't precisely match that of another show (one which, by the way, barely got a third season, then was cancelled) produced in 1966??

God's sack, son, I grew up with that old version, loved every moment of it (well, except "The Omega Glory" and "Spock's Brain", and the rather ham-handed ending of "Bread and Circuses"), and I don't have anywhere near the issues some folks are having with it. They didn't have holograms in TOS for the same reason Klingons looked like Puerto Ricans - because Roddenberry was running a TV show on what was considered an enormous budget for the time, but one that still had severe limitations. (Well, that and the idea of holographic communications was still in its infancy - Star Wars didn't happen until ten years later, and look at what passed for a hologram then! We have dead pop stars on tour in the real world with higher-quality holos than the one Leia stuck into Artoo.)

Honestly, the heart and soul of Star Trek is embodied in a storytelling style, not in painted plywood and papier-mache rocks.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Yeah, the first holodecks were in TAS. That line about "new tech" in TNG seem to make sense only if you assume he actually meant that it was an improved holodeck.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    I always thought the Discovery herself looked very TOS-ey, at least on the outside. A crowd shot with her and a Connie would look fine together.

The interiors are another matter, but it's not unheard of for those things to change in a relatively short time.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
    jonsills wrote: »
    Kaos, are you still hung up on the fact that the aesthetic displayed by a sci-fi show produced in 2017 doesn't precisely match that of another show (one which, by the way, barely got a third season, then was cancelled) produced in 1966??

God's sack, son, I grew up with that old version, loved every moment of it (well, except "The Omega Glory" and "Spock's Brain", and the rather ham-handed ending of "Bread and Circuses"), and I don't have anywhere near the issues some folks are having with it. They didn't have holograms in TOS for the same reason Klingons looked like Puerto Ricans - because Roddenberry was running a TV show on what was considered an enormous budget for the time, but one that still had severe limitations. (Well, that and the idea of holographic communications was still in its infancy - Star Wars didn't happen until ten years later, and look at what passed for a hologram then! We have dead pop stars on tour in the real world with higher-quality holos than the one Leia stuck into Artoo.)

Honestly, the heart and soul of Star Trek is embodied in a storytelling style, not in painted plywood and papier-mache rocks.

Technology is different from aesthetics. Enterprise updated the aesthetics from TOS, but kept the technology consistent with 22nd Century technology. It certainly made the In a Mirror Darkly episodes have weird aesthetics with primitive 22nd Century technology that looks more advanced than futuristic 23rd Century technology.

Discovery has new technology that is not seen until at least the TNG era. If Discovery was set 10 years before TNG, then having Discovery as a testbed for new technology like holographic displays makes sense, but not when Discovery is set 10 years before TOS. By removing Sarek and Mudd and changing the Klingons to some other alien race and Discovery could have been set in the late 24th Century or early 25th Century. As Discovery currently is, it makes more sense as a sequel to Enterprise than a prequel to TOS. Considering the amount of temporal shenanigans in the various Star Trek series, 10 years before TOS is not the same as 100 years after Enterprise since 10 years before TOS didn't have Picard saving 21st Century Earth from the Borg, the Temporal Cold War in the 22nd Century, and all the other temporal problems that screwed up the timeline