test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

DSC Fan Theories: Do you have any, especially those related to STO?

usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
I saw someone posted a pic of Vulcan from DSC and there was art resembling the Herald Vonph. Good catch.

Outside STO, I’ve read that the Captain is from the Mirror Universe, the Science Officer is the Traveler from TNG, and the Security Officer is a surgically altered spy (which would be in line with STOs Doff mission where you surgically alter infiltrators, hope that guy doesn’t get a crit for the bad guys :\). Also the admiral who went to rendezvous with Klingons and got captured is Lethe from the TOS episode, “Dagger of the Mind.”

Also, I think the spore drive injection sites in the arms are some sort of commentary on the heroin epidemic, so wait for the Sci Officer to self-destruct or act like an addict.

Have any of your own?

Comments

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Here's a debunked theory:

After the second episode I thought that the grand project Discovery was involved in could be genesis (as opposed to proto-transwarp.) That would have lead into a plot about protomatter that CBS could have approached cryptic about doing more with protomatter after AOY. With a few plot points in hand Cryptic might have been building the current STO season to run in broad parallel with the show (taking advantage of this unique opportunity STO hasn't had before.) Bringing the Klingons back into the main STO arc again would have played into this. Plus, our recent stand-alone episodes (Survivor and Into the Nexus) would have been basically to control the timing of STO's main arc so it wouldn't jump the gun on the delayed run of DSC.

But as we've seen none of that was the case. ;)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    @baddmoonrizin
    Could this be moved to Ten forward, please?

I've seen some of these thoeries around discovery, but one i know for sure Lorca doesn't like people getting in his way and i suspect for him it will end very badly with a Burnham mutiny for the right reasons rather than for the wrong reasons. Lorca is guarded about his motivations and stops short of letting anyone knows what he is really up to in conversation.

I'm almost tempted to say that he will die in a hail of phaser fire by Starfleet officers under Burnham's order, because he couldn't effect change the way he wanted and no one wants to be known as a butcher of innocent Klingons.

Burnham finds a case in the captains quarters that proves he is section 31 after opening it, when she reads the datapad and learns how to operate a small device with everything about starfleet, the federation, its strengths, weakeness, various people and projects and she finds a directory on her and that she was in fact setup so Lorca could "rescue her" from prison.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    TRIBBLE - as long as Burnham dies, I'm happy.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @baddmoonrizin

I'd rather it not be. Both the OP (to some extent, should probably try to be more focused though) and I tried to relate this to what Cryptic could do (or could have done). If you just want to talk about Discovery (apart from STO), then here's the place to go:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1234639/star-trek-discovery-season-one-general-thoughts

No need to spoil another thread with (in my view) a more specific remit.

Anyway, I think there's a good speculative discussion to have about what developing plot points and universe elements could mean for STO. Ex. What Cryptic can do to expand on the Klingon Empire in 2410, given the depth shown in discovery and how they've moved back into the forefront of the STO plot. For example: maybe the cloaking-capable tomb ship dates back to the Klingon's conflict with the Hurq. STO is heading in that direction...so how about fleshing that thread out in STO (once DSC has had its say in it.) That could include developing more angles (ex. other factions who may have helped the Klingons defeat the Hurq with technology beyond their civilizations capabilities. Say, the Dominion. :tongue:)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    @baddmoonrizin

I'd rather it not be. Both the OP (to some extent, should probably try to be more focused though) and I tried to relate this to what Cryptic could do (or could have done). You, rather unilaterally, have made this just about DSC. I think there's a good speculative discussion to have about what developing plot points and universe elements could mean for STO, apart from the ongoing discussions that have solidified in Ten Forward (there's multiple threads dedicated to thrashing out ideas and general reactions.)

Ex. What Cryptic can do to expand on the Klingon Empire in 2410, given the depth shown in discovery and how they've moved back into the forefront of the STO plot. For example: maybe the cloaking-capable tomb ship dates back to the Klingon's conflict with the Hurq. STO is heading in that direction...so how about fleshing that thread out in STO (once DSC has had its say in it.) That could include developing more angles (ex. new factions who may have helped the Klingons defeat the Hurq with technology beyond their civilizations capabilities...)

I expected this conversation after i put it out there, but honestly it doesn't directly impact STO, neither is it a part of STO in game or related to it in idea form as this is merely speculation about Discovery up to this point. I'm sorry but it does look like a speculation thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

I expected this conversation after i put it out there, but honestly it doesn't directly impact STO, neither is it a part of STO in game or related to it in idea form as this is merely speculation about Discovery up to this point. I'm sorry but it does look like a speculation thread.

I just suggested that STO could relate the current Klingon arc to the Dominion (and incidentally invoke DSC Klingon houses and cultural elements) if it turns out the cloaking device device in Discovery has something to do with the Hurq. This could be a thread to lead into the next expansion (presumably Gamma Quadrant related). DSC speculation is directly following into STO speculation. Where are you getting lost?

If it's simply that one isn't enough, here's another: are the Dranzuli (bugs from most recent FE) a species that can utilize the mycelial network (it would explain their distribution pattern)? What then could the consequences be of using protomatter as a weapon against them? Could a genesis wave travel along the spore network? Are we going to have to have a talk with the Tzenkethi about this, or are they simply being used by another power?

(Long shot that Cryptic will adapt the next few plot points in STO's arc to just aired episodes, but it's still worth exploring if only to raise questions that, if left unanswered by whatever Cryptic does have in store, could inform future episodes or Foundry missions.)
  • Options

I just suggested that STO could relate the current Klingon arc to the Dominion (and incidentally invoke DSC Klingon houses and cultural elements) if it turns out the cloaking device device in Discovery has something to do with the Hurq. This could be a thread to lead into the next expansion (presumably Gamma Quadrant related). DSC speculation is directly following into STO speculation. Where are you getting lost?

If it's simply that one isn't enough, here's another: are the Dranzuli (bugs from most recent FE) a species that can utilize the mycelial network (it would explain their distribution pattern)? What then could the consequences be of using protomatter as a weapon against them? Could a genesis wave travel along the spore network? Are we going to have to have a talk with the Tzenkethi about this, or are they simply being used by another power?

(Long shot that Cryptic will adapt the next few plot points in STO's arc to just aired episodes, but it's still worth exploring if only to raise questions that, if left unanswered by whatever Cryptic does have in store, could inform future episodes or Foundry missions.)

i really do appreciate what you are getting at, but it's still speculation as it's nothing that can be proven yet. What we need is more details from Cryptic via written story content between the missions like they have done before to point to it and by that point there would be something to consider.

So far we have no way of knowing for example if these Dranzuli are related to any natural network, i made a speculative point about these bugs after that episode came out that they could be an Iconian weapon that was not released but it was the next stage beyond the bluegills but it was not needed because the war had ended. however they were released by T'ket as the first stage of her own plan of revenge.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    i really do appreciate what you are getting at, but it's still speculation as it's nothing that can be proven yet.

Obviously, if a point is rhetorically proven then it's no longer speculation. And as far as speculation goes on a forum, it is perfectly alright. We speculate all the time on what the next ships will be, where the story is going, what the next event will entail, and whether or not Ham Sammich will ever make it all the way through the story line on Ten Forward without losing the crispy innocence she entered the KDF with (okay, that's just me.)

Here, we can speculate on how Cryptic will eventually integrate Discovery into STO (they're a CBS licensed game, hell yes they'll use it) keeping in mind that DSC isn't finished yet (we can only speculate on some topics.) Those guesses about STO may be very low probability, given the time required for development. But, we can still make them on the understanding that we'll probably be wrong.

If so, fine. If imporbably not, yay. In any case, were thinking about how things might be applied to STO. So, even if Cryptic doesn't follow along with those ideas, we still can through character ideas and Foundry missions (ex. create a species like the Dranzuli who does use the mycelial network, have the player deal with the complications and consequences.)
  • Options
    Why are more than 75% of the words in this post’s replies about the nature of speculation? It was supposed to be a thread about DSC/STO that deals with trending and currently relevant theories concerning the entire Star Trek universe.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Why are more than 75% of the words in this post’s replies about the nature of speculation? It was supposed to be a thread about DSC/STO that deals with trending and currently relevant theories concerning the entire Star Trek universe.

Good luck kid, you're on your own now.

(I've been posting DSC/STO speculation, apparently that wasn't enough so we got into the basis for the topic. But if you're going to ask me to justify my justification of the thread you created (I thought it could be a fun one) then I'm just going to let you speak for yourself.)
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    if i were a dev. on a trek game, would release in game eps. parallel to the show. like a side story on the main plot.
    with season one the team miss the opportunity, timing wise. hope, to see with season two. some dscvry plots.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Discovery is set in the Mirror Universe of STO. This is not to be confused with the Mirror Universe shown in the TV series. We have never seen a Mirror Universe Klingon in STO so we could be staring at them in Discovery.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    starkaos wrote: »
    Discovery is set in the Mirror Universe of STO. This is not to be confused with the Mirror Universe shown in the TV series. We have never seen a Mirror Universe Klingon in STO so we could be staring at them in Discovery.

Yes, actually we have seen a mirror universe Klingon in STO, they just deleted the mission.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K5Xy8I2NFU

And frankly DSC's Klingons are the weakest part of the series by far.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    I think they went overboard with the prosthetics and costumes. I found the T’Kuvma cult compelling as a story, but it is too hard to read emotion in the characters.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I think they went overboard with the prosthetics and costumes. I found the T’Kuvma cult compelling as a story, but it is too hard to read emotion in the characters.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm talking about. Apart from that I've actually been enjoying the series: they've only really had one episode that I consider poor ("Magic", because the resolution was a bit lame IMO), and that episode's got nothing on the other series' season one stinkers or what The Orville pulled in "Cupid's Dagger".

/deathtotheeditmonster
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    It wouldn’t be in the spirit of Star Trek (both DSC and Orville) if the first season didn’t have some real stinkers.