test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[StarGate Origins] | Season One |

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Thrilled at this, I'm a huge Stargate fan.

Regarding the argument about SGU: It was doomed by network interference more than anything to do with the show itself. Recall that it aired right at the height of Syfy's network decay and got bumped out of Stargate's customary Friday night time slot (in favor of professional wrestling for some gorram reason) to Tuesday nights when it was in direct competition with several of the most popular shows on TV at the time. Then they decided to TRIBBLE with it even more and only run half a season at a time with months-long breaks in between.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    starswordc wrote: »
    Then they decided to **** with it even more and only run half a season at a time with months-long breaks in between.

sounds familiar...where have i heard that before?

(before anyone feels the need to be a smartass, the above is sarcasm - i am already well aware discovery is doing the exact same thing)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    There was also the matter of them throwing out what worked for SG-1 and Atlantis, AKA humor to break up the tension. SGU was all drama, drama, drama. Little to no humor to break it up.

It felt a little too much like Battlestar Galactica with a Stargate. Like they wanted to recreate the success of BSG with SGU... and fell on their face. Honestly the only likeable character for a long time was Eli.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    > @rattler2 said:
    > There was also the matter of them throwing out what worked for SG-1 and Atlantis, AKA humor to break up the tension. SGU was all drama, drama, drama. Little to no humor to break it up.
    >
    > It felt a little too much like Battlestar Galactica with a Stargate. Like they wanted to recreate the success of BSG with SGU... and fell on their face. Honestly the only likeable character for a long time was Eli.

What you're describing is one of the problems that VOY has for me, though: the fact that they're marooned ¾ the diameter of the galaxy from home rarely has any actual tangible effect. They still ultimately act like they're in season 8+ of TNG with a Federation shipyard and resupply a couple days away. Which nBSG was in large part a reaction to. I give SGU a lot of credit for actually taking its concept seriously: people in that kind of cr*ppy situation aren't (all) going to spend much time being funny.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    There's still the issue that it broke away from the formula that made the previous two shows so successful. Even something small like a snarky comment in the right place would break up the tension. But SGU had a total LACK of that. Absolutely nothing to balance out the drama. It was literally drama overload.

While I did like the concept for the show, there was just too much BSG in it. Another comparison I can give it is DC and their attempts at movies. The Dark Knight Trilogy was successful with the grim/dark, yes. But trying to recreate that with subsequent movies that aren't centered around Batman fell flat on its face. From what I've heard the only DC movie post Dark Knight Trilogy to not suffer from Batman Envy was Wonder Woman.

While they did an excellent job of showcasing Destiny not having supplies and the survivors having to scavenge where they could... there were very few instances of lighthearted moments to balance out the darkness.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    There's still the issue that it broke away from the formula that made the previous two shows so successful. Even something small like a snarky comment in the right place would break up the tension. But SGU had a total LACK of that. Absolutely nothing to balance out the drama. It was literally drama overload.

While I did like the concept for the show, there was just too much BSG in it. Another comparison I can give it is DC and their attempts at movies. The Dark Knight Trilogy was successful with the grim/dark, yes. But trying to recreate that with subsequent movies that aren't centered around Batman fell flat on its face. From what I've heard the only DC movie post Dark Knight Trilogy to not suffer from Batman Envy was Wonder Woman.

While they did an excellent job of showcasing Destiny not having supplies and the survivors having to scavenge where they could... there were very few instances of lighthearted moments to balance out the darkness.

Yes, because that's the kind of show the setting and story concept called for. It wasn't "SG-1 v3.0" for the same reason Discovery isn't TNG v4.0 (which I bring up because I've seen a lot of the same complaints about it as were made about SGU). Discovery is dark, mostly humorless, and lacking in exploration because it's telling a story about the sh*tty things people experience in war and how it affects them (GeekDad basically described it as a series-length treatise on post-traumatic stress disorder). Similarly, SGU is dark, mostly humorless, and lacking in stargate travel because it's telling a story about totally unready people trying to survive on a million-year-old broken-down wreck of a ship.

And for a converse example, the Ciaphas Cain novels from Warhammer 40,000. It can afford to be humorous because it's telling a story about regular human soldiers in this awful world who, despite the vast unfeeling incompetence of the larger Imperium, are genuinely good at their jobs and well-led. And yet it still remains true to the setting, because even with the humor, the wars are f*cking horrible. (I invite anybody who thinks Sandy Mitchell can't do GRIMDARK to read the sequence in Death or Glory where Cain visits a town the orks, typically the comic relief faction, have just sacked.)

If anything, what really detracted from SGU was the reuse of the body-swapping technology from the Ori arc that let them take vacations to Earth. It's that kind of premise betrayal that ruined Voyager for me.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    I don't mind Discovery being a bit darker because of the setting. Its just that SGU didn't even have a minimal amount to break up the tension, and Rush was a serious A**. I actually liked it when Col. Young punched him out. The absolute constant peril detracted a bit from the fact they were on an Ancient ship and the wonders that came with it, on top of the fact that Destiny had a mission. Honestly SGU got a little better in season 2, but by then it was a little too late, and we got stuck with the cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers.
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    Why did they even bother making a flopbuster into a TV-show and why do they still bother with another spin-off.
  • Options
    > @redeyedraven said:
    > Why did they even bother making a flopbuster into a TV-show and why do they still bother with another spin-off.

According to the Stargàte SG-1 showrunners, because they saw room in the concept to expand it into a franchise. Considering the first show alone ran for ten seasons before it was cancelled (which, like SGU, had more to do with Syfy's network decay than the quality of the show), I'd say they guessed well.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    Hell... not only was SG-1 successful, so was Atlantis.
  • Options
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Hell... not only was SG-1 successful, so was Atlantis.

Yeah, just saying, SG-1 ran longer than any individual Star Trek series, or indeed any live-action sci-fi series in history besides Doctor Who.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    Very True. Only other show I can think of that's run longer... ok two shows, are Simpsons and COPS.
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    According to the Stargàte SG-1 showrunners, because they saw room in the concept to expand it into a franchise. Considering the first show alone ran for ten seasons before it was cancelled (which, like SGU, had more to do with Syfy's network decay than the quality of the show), I'd say they guessed well.

Seeing potential is one thing, the other is execution. They salvaged what they could from the movie, and tried to expand the horribly flat characters into even more boring versions of themselves. I know the show has its loyal fans, and for a TV-show of its time the production-values aren't bad either (because they could re-use props from an expensive failed movie and mostly shot on locations, thus they could use their budget on other things). I just didn't find it exciting to see boring characters being sent to not-so-alien worlds and meet just as boring aliens all the time. I didn't find it better when they started doing more stuff in space.

The long runtime is not necessarily a good thing either. What I've seen from the later seasons felt desperate and more like "we're keeping this on life-support while making a new show".

The fans of the show I personally knew didn't make me feel more comfy about it either. One of them thought that the theatrical movie was the PILOT-movie of the show (and he didn't understand the difference between a TV-pilot and a movie). The other ones just liked the visual effects or the idea that the ancient egypts were influenced by some aliens. Yeah, latter one could have been interesting but lacked actual creativity.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Well, to me, SGU characters were more boring than the Sg-1 and Atlantis characters (with exceptions, of course).
    And what I personally consider SGU's biggest mistake is not necessarily how the characters behave (because, yes, they are in a grim situation, they wouldn't be too happy), but how Destiny is portrayed. The choices with the camerawork were just literally too dark for me.

As an example: BSG was a rather dark show, yet it was also colourful, both in the literal (there was good lighting at least somewhere and not all clothes, sets were just grey and black) and abstract (the characters were diverse, some were actually happy here and there). SGU was just blackness upon blackness, particularly the first season.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Hell... not only was SG-1 successful, so was Atlantis.

Yeah, just saying, SG-1 ran longer than any individual Star Trek series, or indeed any live-action sci-fi series in history besides Doctor Who.
    Who is a bit questionable since they haven't run it uninterrupted.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    toiva wrote: »
    Well, to me, SGU characters were more boring than the Sg-1 and Atlantis characters (with exceptions, of course).
    And what I personally consider SGU's biggest mistake is not necessarily how the characters behave (because, yes, they are in a grim situation, they wouldn't be too happy), but how Destiny is portrayed. The choices with the camerawork were just literally too dark for me.

As an example: BSG was a rather dark show, yet it was also colourful, both in the literal (there was good lighting at least somewhere and not all clothes, sets were just grey and black) and abstract (the characters were diverse, some were actually happy here and there). SGU was just blackness upon blackness, particularly the first season.

I'll have to agree on that too.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Funny thing, in the US the ratings were terrible for SG-1 but overseas the ratings were very good, it is the reason it kept going for as long as it did in the early seasons otherwise it could of been killed half a dozen episodes in season 1 if Showtime was like the other networks where a show failed to attract good numbers, but luckily they were reasonable about it.

It was a success for 8 of those seasons, but season 9 and 10 were the dying embers since the storyline was effectively finished in season 8. This whole Ori storyline was for Ben Browder and Claudia Black mostly because of what happened to Farscape being cancelled in season 4.

Atlantis actually proved to be even less successful on viewing numbers in the US and overseas, it should of been killed off in season 2 but SyFy kept going with it for another 3 seasons. It is interesting to note that Joe Flanigan wanted to continue atlantis with a 6th season, but MGM went belly up and that all went to hell.

The writing was already on the wall with SG-U even before it launched was not going to be that well received since the franchise itself had ran its course. indeed, it was something of a minor miracle that SG-U survived as long as it did before being cut loose.

Is the world ready for another SG series so soon after SG-U? guess it depends on how well it is made and if it clicks with the audience.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Wel, to be frank, I don't see any kind of web miniseries to be able to either rekindle interest in Stargate or even find much success. And particularly if it's centered around past events (I'm still doubtful it'll make sense given the current canon of the show).
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I'm guessing wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff is involved.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    toiva wrote: »
    Wel, to be frank, I don't see any kind of web miniseries to be able to either rekindle interest in Stargate or even find much success. And particularly if it's centered around past events (I'm still doubtful it'll make sense given the current canon of the show).

it needs the right type of marketing campaign to reach as many ears and eyes as possible otherwise you might be right.
    I'm guessing wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff is involved.

Considering the era it is set in; 1939 (World War 2). From the looks of it the Gate was excavated, kept in Egypt(?) which at the time was under the protection of the British.
    Expect some Germans to invade it for the Fuhrer.
    Those from the middle east due to the location.
    French because of the Syria and Lebanon Mandate.
    Italians as well because of Libya and their interference in Egypt, mostly the Suez Canal.
    Brits, because Egypt was a protectorate of the crown at the time.
    Americans, Canadians and Australians because they supported their French and British allies during the conflicts in Europe.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Levant.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Well... the Stargate was buied in Giza, Egypt in the first place...
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Eh, I personally found the biggest flaw of SGU was that the cast had pretty much no control over anything that was happening for most of its run. With the ship being on autopilot they had no choice but to do what the ship wanted them to do. Once they had control of the ship and could start making their own decisions the show started to get much more interesting.

Honestly the SG franchise was a victim of its own success. By allowing the story to advance and not adhere to a strict status quo the heroes outgrew the shows general themes of being the underdog defenders of Earth. There just wasn't anywhere left from them to go but down.
  • Options
    garaks31 wrote: »

DTJbywyVMAEz0IK.jpg

DS88UW4WsAM0XI0.jpg

all i am seeing is the ending of the website address, specifically the numbers and letters followed by the .jpg after media. from the looks of it it is probably twitter but my firefox is setup in a way it intercepts the address and hides it.

is there another way i could see the pictures you are showing?
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    garaks31 wrote: »
    crome and updated with urls

the updated urls are helping. i can see those two.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited February 2018