test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Underpowered (old) set pieces

I dig the new changes in this season, but it made me wonder what old set pieces do you think need a bit of beefing in order to match up with the more recent set pieces? Let's be honest, some sets border on being almost useless, and need an overhaul.

I haven't used absolutely every combo in the game, but I'll just throw in a bunch of examples:

- Jem'hadar ground set - 3 min cd on the full-set heal is a bit much. Reduce it to 1 minute to match up with the KHG/Maco.
- Assimilated space set - weak shield, and also again 3 min cd on the tractor beam ability is best reduced to 2 min as the standard routine.
- Breen Absolute Zero - meh
- Nukara Appopriate munitions - meh
- Omega space set - anyone even use this anymore?

Some Starbase fleet gear could use some beefing too.

Comments

  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    tremere12 wrote: »
    I dig the new changes in this season, but it made me wonder what old set pieces do you think need a bit of beefing in order to match up with the more recent set pieces? Let's be honest, some sets border on being almost useless, and need an overhaul.

    I haven't used absolutely every combo in the game, but I'll just throw in a bunch of examples:

    - Jem'hadar ground set - 3 min cd on the full-set heal is a bit much. Reduce it to 1 minute to match up with the KHG/Maco.
    - Assimilated space set - weak shield, and also again 3 min cd on the tractor beam ability is best reduced to 2 min as the standard routine.
    - Breen Absolute Zero - meh
    - Nukara Appopriate munitions - meh
    - Omega space set - anyone even use this anymore?

    Some Starbase fleet gear could use some beefing too.

    Remember that the JH ground set is a 4 piece set. It's the 4th piece which makes this set, while niche, very nice.

    Assimilated space set - Usually not recommended to use the full 3 piece, but two piece with maco shield is still very useful.

    Breen absolute zero set rocks hard on science transphasic builds

    Nukara Appropriated Munitions can be absolutely lethal when used on science/tetryon builds

    Omega Space Set - This one could use a little boost, but it is still an absolute blast to use on science vessels.

    Overall: The sets are not as useless as you make them out to be although they have been surpassed by newer sets and would appreciate a little tender love and care (slight stat boost)
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    tremere12 wrote: »
    I dig the new changes in this season, but it made me wonder what old set pieces do you think need a bit of beefing in order to match up with the more recent set pieces? Let's be honest, some sets border on being almost useless, and need an overhaul.

    I haven't used absolutely every combo in the game, but I'll just throw in a bunch of examples:

    - Jem'hadar ground set - 3 min cd on the full-set heal is a bit much. Reduce it to 1 minute to match up with the KHG/Maco.
    - Assimilated space set - weak shield, and also again 3 min cd on the tractor beam ability is best reduced to 2 min as the standard routine.
    - Breen Absolute Zero - meh
    - Nukara Appopriate munitions - meh
    - Omega space set - anyone even use this anymore?

    Some Starbase fleet gear could use some beefing too.

    Remember that the JH ground set is a 4 piece set. It's the 4th piece which makes this set, while niche, very nice.

    Assimilated space set - Usually not recommended to use the full 3 piece, but two piece with maco shield is still very useful.

    Breen absolute zero set rocks hard on science transphasic builds

    Nukara Appropriated Munitions can be absolutely lethal when used on science/tetryon builds

    Omega Space Set - This one could use a little boost, but it is still an absolute blast to use on science vessels.

    Overall: The sets are not as useless as you make them out to be although they have been surpassed by newer sets and would appreciate a little tender love and care (slight stat boost)

    Yeah, that's all I'm saying.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Well around the time the new R&D system was revamped and released I remember reading a dev comment saying they had planned to add warpcores to the earlier 3 piece space sets... like assimilated, nukara, maco/omega, and romulan...

    Though I haven't heard anything mentioned about it since.

    Anyway, even if we never get those WC's they could still probably take a look at the older sets and adjust them where necessary. A little refresher on them wouldn't hurt.

    That breen set is not bad though for a new leveling character.. I used it for quite a while on my AoY character. It performed well enough until I unlocked the rep system. Even the Solanea set you get a little later on in the mission chains is another good place holder. (and still has one of the best deflectors for science builds).
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 586 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Remember that the JH ground set is a 4 piece set. It's the 4th piece which makes this set, while niche, very nice.

    If so, what is the 4th piece then of the set?

    I only see 3 set items -> https://sto.gamepedia.com/Jem'Hadar_Armored_Shroud

  • alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    There is only the 3 pieces set. Though there are two other Jem'Hadar weapons; Jem'Hadar Polaron Beam Pistol and Jem'Hadar Assault Wide-Area Minigun.
    Space set has an "extra" bonus that is only gained when the set is equipped on a Jem'Hadar or Cardassian ship. Which could be mistaken for a 4 pieces set.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I agree whole heartedly that older sets/gear could use a boost. Unfortunately I don't see it happening. Boosting existing gear means players aren't going to be spending time playing the game grinding the newer/better gear. Having dealt with bean counters myself I think it is safe to say more players online = good, less players online = bad.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Actually, I like this idea. Though, instead of just updating the older sets. Why not make the new pieces, we can call them Advanced for now, as drops in STFs?

    Ground STFs drop the updated ground gear.
    Space STFS drop the updated space gear.

    ISA/CCA drop none of the gear. This it to prevent easy mode farming of it.


    This is of course for Advanced and Elite Stfs only. Normal STFs have no chance to drop them. Of course this would also b on the RNG, so... you're looking at perhaps a 1-3% chance for them to drop.

    Edit:
    Since this just came to mind. They could also add the Reputation Dil store items as drops in the STFs.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    I doubt the older sets will be changed in anyway anytime soon.
    Why?
    Because it could create mass bugs between old gear that players have and have upgraded and the "beefed up" ones.
    It propably could be done with some heavy work in programing, but the workhours would propably make better effect creating new missions and gear.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    totenmet wrote: »
    questerius wrote: »
    Remember that the JH ground set is a 4 piece set. It's the 4th piece which makes this set, while niche, very nice.

    If so, what is the 4th piece then of the set?

    I only see 3 set items -> https://sto.gamepedia.com/Jem'Hadar_Armored_Shroud

    @totenmet
    Although technically not part of the set the nanenergy cells are developed to have synergy with the weapon
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Nanoenergy_Cell

    Hence my comment about it being a 4-piece.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • blitzsthblitzsth Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    Pretty sure they will never bring old content up to date with current content, because it won't make them money. Plus do we really trust Cryptic to update content without messing up the code.

    I am also pretty sure if Cryptic ever replies to this thread, they will just say, you can use upgrade tokens to bring the old gear up to date!
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    @totenmet
    Although technically not part of the set the nanenergy cells are developed to have synergy with the weapon
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Nanoenergy_Cell

    Hence my comment about it being a 4-piece.
    They changed the Nanoenergy Cells to work with ALL ranged weapons. I use the Tachyon Rider with the Elachi hand cannon.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    New stuff is supposed to be better than old stuff, otherwise there'd be no point getting new stuff.
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    warpangel wrote: »
    New stuff is supposed to be better than old stuff, otherwise there'd be no point getting new stuff.

    Then old stuff should cost less resources to upgrade than new stuff.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,485 Arc User
    But they never updated the tool tip for the Nanoenergy Cells to reflect the change.

    By the way they did make one little change recently in the background. The Security Officer at a Federation Starbase used to be a human but when you interacted you got the picture of the Caitian from ESD. The correct picture of that human now displays.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,213 Arc User
    You forgot the Aegis set.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,580 Arc User
    lopequil wrote: »
    You forgot the Aegis set.

    Once, many moons ago, before the white man came...
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    I use a different set on each ship. They still hold up ok. Just depends on your style, equipment and abilitys. I have no problems using any on the list
  • sotsogmsotsogm Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    lopequil wrote: »
    You forgot the Aegis set.

    This is the one that's most frustrating for me, personally, insofar as the newest gear seems to have rendered the crafting system superfluous, which is sad. I don't expect Cryptic to address it (and can't really fault them), but it would be nice if the crafting system could offer new gear, new sets, or be tied into the upgrade system in a more interesting way than just spamming upgrade kits at L15+. It just feels like there's a whole wasted subsystem there.

  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,550 Arc User
    sotsogm wrote: »
    lopequil wrote: »
    You forgot the Aegis set.

    This is the one that's most frustrating for me, personally, insofar as the newest gear seems to have rendered the crafting system superfluous, which is sad. I don't expect Cryptic to address it (and can't really fault them), but it would be nice if the crafting system could offer new gear, new sets, or be tied into the upgrade system in a more interesting way than just spamming upgrade kits at L15+. It just feels like there's a whole wasted subsystem there.

    There is one benefit that the Aegis set and other crafted gear has over other set equipment. It is bound to account not bound to character. So one set of Ultra-rare Aegis gear can be used on any character instead of having to spend Lobi or grind Reputation on each character to have the same set.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,485 Arc User
    Unless it was crafted under 1.0, then Character only.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,427 Arc User
    tremere12 wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    New stuff is supposed to be better than old stuff, otherwise there'd be no point getting new stuff.

    Then old stuff should cost less resources to upgrade than new stuff.

    Amenn 900 marks PLUS 5 elite marks for the Omega rep set? drop it to 500 like all the others
    Spock.jpg

  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,485 Arc User
    That is only the Assimilated set. The MACO, Adapted MACO, KHG, Adapted KHG, and Omega sets cost 1,000 Marks and 34k Dilitium.

    I have been arguing for years that the Omega Rep sets should have been normalized to the standard numbers (750 Marks, 5 Elite Marks, and 32.5k Dilitium) when they normalized all the other Rep sets.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    One could argue also for a boost for underpowered traits, consider brutally overpowered traits such as these that go crazy in such builds. Though it's probably too much asked.
Sign In or Register to comment.