test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Something that needs to be done.

Not everyone is in a guild that plays this game. The one thing i think its time to do is strip weapon buff items of their singularities. Just make them all universal so people can make unique builds if they want. Right now everyone is running around with the same builds and its so boring. Why have say a console that buffs beam damage and another one that just buffs a certain type of beam damage too. This will never make sense to me having both. For me i look at episode mission rewards and most of them are useless unless you are geared to use them. There is so much that needs to be done to improve this game and make it more new player friendly because getting to end game is fun but once your there its freaky boring unless you like grind.

Comments

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    jarfaru wrote: »
    Not everyone is in a guild that plays this game. The one thing i think its time to do is strip weapon buff items of their singularities. Just make them all universal so people can make unique builds if they want. Right now everyone is running around with the same builds and its so boring.

If they were all universal so that anyone can use them, then that actually decreases the number of unique builds because every will be using them. So basically, it will increase the number of same builds and make the game even more boring for you.
    For me i look at episode mission rewards and most of them are useless unless you are geared to use them.

That actually increases the number of unique builds in the game. If I wanted to focus on disruptor weapons rather than polaron, then I would get House Martok Disruptor 360-Degree Energy Weapon from "Brushfire" rather than the Omni-Directional Chronometric Polaron Beam Array from "Time and Tide".
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    I cant see cutting consoles and devices in the game out as jaguarskx stated that would cut the number of unique build down. I can see consolidating same weapons types into a single type weapon and you can choose lets say of that array. Take Phasers for example you Standard ones , Andoeian, 23rd Century ones, Pulse phasers, they all come with different colors also. From Orange too Red Dark Blue and Light Blue. Why not call it a Phaser Beam Array and let the player choose the color from Red to Orange to the two different blue colors. That is something that can cut back on game memory and still allow unique builds for the player base.

What about the Kelvin Phasers? They don't even fire beams at all but function as beams.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yeah, I'm sorry.. but this suggestion is horrible. You're saying that in order to increase the variety in builds, we need vanilla consoles that work with everything so people don't have to choose. That's the exact opposite of creating variety.

As it sits right now, you can pick Tactical Consoles that boost a specific type of damage, you can also go with +Beam consoles that boost any beam. The trade off is that the boost gained from the +Beam are less then focusing on one type of energy. This creates a choice, makes you decide which trade off is worth it to you. Do you take less damage but be able to swap builds on a whim? Or do you maximize your output and commit to one type? That's up to you.

Honestly, the notion that everyone is running around with the same exact builds just shows how little you understand about the current state of the game. There are tons of different builds out there and tons of ways to change and adapt them. Yes, there are players that will just look up someone else build and copy it exactly and if that's what they want to do, then that's fine too. But the notion that everyone has the exact same build just shows that you frankly have no idea what you're talking about.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    "Highly illogical."
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I'm fair sure fairly few people have a ship like my kor. mostly cause it's terrible but fun. it seems to me the op's problem is more that they lack creativity than anything to do with consoles or whatever.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    nightken wrote: »
    I'm fair sure fairly few people have a ship like my kor. mostly cause it's terrible but fun. it seems to me the op's problem is more that they lack creativity than anything to do with consoles or whatever.

I love my Kor. My primary KDF tactical character has basically been flying T1 thru T6 BoPs from February 2014 thru the end of last year. I finally switched to other T6 ships to gain their mastery traits.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I would not mind if they took the generic tactical consoles (like the beam, cannon, torpedo, mine, ext) out and replaced them with something else that would in many ways boost the viability of using other mixtures of weapons, or making other play-styles a bit more interesting an deeper. Two examples I have always found interesting, and been suggested is below, mind you most likely it would take a lot of developement to implement (I would say worth it though).
    • Dual weapon buffing consoles:This idea is replacing the generic weapon-type consoles with consoles that would buff a pair of weapon/energy types. With the idea of this being that you might get a console that buffs two weapon or energy types, with the primary energy/weapon type being slightly higher in damage, while the secondary being lower, while the buff gained on the primary weapon/energy type would be lower than the buff of a tactical console that buffs a single weapon/energy type.
    • Carrier/hanger-pet buffing consoles: This idea is the idea of having consoles that buff the stats of your ship's pet, which might be linked to what kind of console slot it is designated for being slotted in. Like you might have tactical carrier consoles that buff the pet's weapons, science ones that buff shield or their de-buffing/control effects, and engineering that buff the hull an defensive aspects of your pets. Though this would be at cost maybe with the console only affecting your hanger-pets, or maybe having smaller buff of the same type as what is applied to your pets to your main ship.
    Post edited by asuran14 on
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Heh, the problem most likely is OP that Cryptic is too generous during the process of leveling. The player hasn’t to do anything at all and gets the very best content this game has to offer and that for free in return. Canon ships, Trek actors, stories and a beautiful digital galaxy to explore.

At end game, yea, players all out of sudden have to actively “play” and/or “pay” for a satisfactory game experience. If they do all is cool; if they don’t then boredom sets in soon. Perhaps cryptic should change their policy a bit and instead of selling new ships and power there they should simply place the next FE Episode featuring a Trek Star behind a huge paywall? I refine 80k Dil/day and I would like that better than to chase the next build item squeezing out 3k DPS more. Would you too?

Also build variety is pretty much the only winner of the balance check made in S13. Yea, not everything is perfect yet but it’s as easy as ever to make a build that is competitive and suited to your personal preference at the same time. Believe me for us veterans this balance check cost quite a lot.

“Something that needs to be done?”

In my opinion they have done enough!

Now it’s up to you to step out of our comfort zone, do a little research how to and then start playing Star Trek Online.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    I would not mind if they added some mission packs you could buy, that might be almost like side-missions that could expand on areas of the game a bit more outside of the main story arcs. As good as some of the foundry missions are the idea of being able to purchase missions or story-arcs, and/or ships via the c-store to fund the game is quite appealing to me personally. Though I think keeping the featured missions, and main-story arcs as free content with side-mission arcs as a purchase in the c-store might go over well.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I'd not complain if they took proper steps to reduce or prevent console stacking.

Likewise I'd not complain if they revamped command spec and expanded it to work better with carriers. Although that might also mean having to work command seats into existing carriers. And of course they'd likely break hangar pets yet again.

As for build slapping any old junk on a ship is a build, unrefined and not very optimal but it's a build nonetheless. IF you lock yourself into dps dps dps then thats down to you as a player. Nothing in the game really needs facemelting dps races and personally I find tac dps setups really quite dull after a few fights.
    asuran14 wrote: »
    I would not mind if they added some mission packs you could buy, that might be almost like side-missions that could expand on areas of the game a bit more outside of the main story arcs. As good as some of the foundry missions are the idea of being able to purchase missions or story-arcs, and/or ships via the c-store to fund the game is quite appealing to me personally. Though I think keeping the featured missions, and main-story arcs as free content with side-mission arcs as a purchase in the c-store might go over well.

The reason the C-Store ship wise was a failure is because the ships weren't really worth price tags so many stopped buying theme. If they are gonna charge let say 30 dollars for a ship then make it a 30 dollar ship not a previous ship with an extra Engineering slot or science or a tactical slot. Expand the weapons the slots hull HP make it a worth while investment where player tell other to get that same ship. If they had done that then they would be making more money on the ships alone. Although your idea is good don't get me wrong but if they did that then they better make it a valuable purchase for the player that tells others to do the same.

I would not say that c-store ships are a failure as many do buy them, and yet I do agree they could do a with a rework to the pricing scheme they use for them. I have bought many ships that I liked that got an updated tier version (like the gal-x), but I will say with the current price of 60 dollars for a tier six is about the highest I would buy even a ship I like in the store. The issue is more that the price of ships keep going up without any reduction in price of the lower ships (outside of ship sales), and the cap on what players are willing to pay for ships even with added bells an whistles on them has a cap to it. It would have been nice an I think appealing if when a new tier of ships came out the previous tiers had a price drop making buying the older ships a bit more appealing, while also keeping the price of the top tier ships static in a place that players actually would find the price for what is presented as appealing.
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    Heh, the problem most likely is OP that Cryptic is too generous during the process of leveling. The player hasn’t to do anything at all and gets the very best content this game has to offer and that for free in return. Canon ships, Trek actors, stories and a beautiful digital galaxy to explore.

At end game, yea, players all out of sudden have to actively “play” and/or “pay” for a satisfactory game experience. If they do all is cool; if they don’t then boredom sets in soon. Perhaps cryptic should change their policy a bit and instead of selling new ships and power there they should simply place the next FE Episode featuring a Trek Star behind a huge paywall? I refine 80k Dil/day and I would like that better than to chase the next build item squeezing out 3k DPS more. Would you too?

Also build variety is pretty much the only winner of the balance check made in S13. Yea, not everything is perfect yet but it’s as easy as ever to make a build that is competitive and suited to your personal preference at the same time. Believe me for us veterans this balance check cost quite a lot.

“Something that needs to be done?”

In my opinion they have done enough!

Now it’s up to you to step out of our comfort zone, do a little research how to and then start playing Star Trek Online.

I have to agree.... Players get spoiled in the free game.... I loathe F2P but I concur Cryptic is far too generous with most things. Likely because it is expected the bulk of revenue will be via keys; most people will gamble but many wont pay for content. It is strange thinking on the part of players such as that would leaves me perplexed often...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User

The reason the C-Store ship wise was a failure is because the ships weren't really worth price tags so many stopped buying theme. If they are gonna charge let say 30 dollars for a ship then make it a 30 dollar ship not a previous ship with an extra Engineering slot or science or a tactical slot. Expand the weapons the slots hull HP make it a worth while investment where player tell other to get that same ship. If they had done that then they would be making more money on the ships alone. Although your idea is good don't get me wrong but if they did that then they better make it a valuable purchase for the player that tells others to do the same.

Wow you have to be new.. when they went to tier 6 ships the forum fires were out of cotrol. expand to anther tier already and thousands of heads will explode.

you don't need 750,000 dps to beat end game (Maybe discounting elite stf stuff)

u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @asuran14 said:
    > spielman#2520 wrote: »
    >
    > asuran14 wrote: »
    >
    > I would not mind if they added some mission packs you could buy, that might be almost like side-missions that could expand on areas of the game a bit more outside of the main story arcs. As good as some of the foundry missions are the idea of being able to purchase missions or story-arcs, and/or ships via the c-store to fund the game is quite appealing to me personally. Though I think keeping the featured missions, and main-story arcs as free content with side-mission arcs as a purchase in the c-store might go over well.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The reason the C-Store ship wise was a failure is because the ships weren't really worth price tags so many stopped buying theme. If they are gonna charge let say 30 dollars for a ship then make it a 30 dollar ship not a previous ship with an extra Engineering slot or science or a tactical slot. Expand the weapons the slots hull HP make it a worth while investment where player tell other to get that same ship. If they had done that then they would be making more money on the ships alone. Although your idea is good don't get me wrong but if they did that then they better make it a valuable purchase for the player that tells others to do the same.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I would not say that c-store ships are a failure as many do buy them, and yet I do agree they could do a with a rework to the pricing scheme they use for them. I have bought many ships that I liked that got an updated tier version (like the gal-x), but I will say with the current price of 60 dollars for a tier six is about the highest I would buy even a ship I like in the store. The issue is more that the price of ships keep going up without any reduction in price of the lower ships (outside of ship sales), and the cap on what players are willing to pay for ships even with added bells an whistles on them has a cap to it. It would have been nice an I think appealing if when a new tier of ships came out the previous tiers had a price drop making buying the older ships a bit more appealing, while also keeping the price of the top tier ships static in a place that players actually would find the price for what is presented as appealing.

60 dollars for a T6? What are you talking about?

Yeah I was thinking the common 60 dollar bundle packs, most of the top ships are 30 dollars, but even at 30 dollars that is about the top most players would pay for a single ship.
    asuran14 wrote: »
    I would not say that c-store ships are a failure as many do buy them, and yet I do agree they could do a with a rework to the pricing scheme they use for them. I have bought many ships that I liked that got an updated tier version (like the gal-x), but I will say with the current price of 60 dollars for a tier six is about the highest I would buy even a ship I like in the store. The issue is more that the price of ships keep going up without any reduction in price of the lower ships (outside of ship sales), and the cap on what players are willing to pay for ships even with added bells an whistles on them has a cap to it.

$60 for a T6 ship in the C-Store? What are you taking about?

A T6 ship in the C-Store sells for the equivalent of $30 (when there is no sale). A 3 ship bundle sells for the equivalent of $60; which basically means you are paying for 2 T6 ships at $30 each and the 3rd ship is free.

The price of ships in the C-Store has not gone up since October 2014 when the T6 ships were introduced. That was about 2 years and 10 months ago. Cryptic has also stated they have no plans on releasing anything beyond T6 ships (at least for now). While it would be nice if Cryptic actually dropped the on C-Store ships a little bit, I suppose everyone has gotten accustomed to it including me. I just hope $30 is the cap for a very long time.

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I'll sometimes run 7 rRCS consoles (effectively), on a very large ship (JHDC), change all my traits to speed and turn. That's fun.

Just one conductive rcs with turn can get most of the big ships drifting and powersliding with ease, even the barges like the jupiter and vonph.

Strafing run in a cruiser then spinning about and keeping the fire going while you slide away target backwards makes escorts seem bland.
  • akanaroakanaro Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    To say that you do not have a lot of build variety in STO is just plain wrong. The problem is that people look online for builds and all they see are the popular weapons, consoles and sets. You do not need to use those to enjoy end game content. Those are popular because they often offer the best DPS in various situations but unless you're planning on PvP it doesn't matter if you're not the top DPS ship in a STF/Alert/Battlezone. It's fine to do a conventional Phaser build for your Feds or a Romulan Plasma build for your Romulans. In fact, not getting the latest popular gear might safe you a pretty penny. There are a lot of non popular builds that performs well enough for end game PvE. So what's the problem?
  • altran3301altran3301 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    jarfaru wrote: »
    Right now everyone is running around with the same builds and its so boring.
    Going to have to ask you to prove that. If it's boring, that's on you. STO is what you make it.
    As for reducing console variety... what? lol.

akanaro wrote: »
    The problem is that people look online for builds and all they see are the popular weapons, consoles and sets. You do not need to use those to enjoy end game content.
    Spot on. Some of the worst players that whine the most, tend to be using some build they copied from a forum. No creativity = boredom.
    tnl3Zwx.png