test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PVP was already dead, why pee on the ashes?

Today's patch has destroyed what little was left of PVP in this game. 10 people are MANDATORY for queuing now. Plus you do not get a choice in map selection. There's no option for small-team PVPs. And since the queue for PVP was already dead (taking HOURS--if ever--to fill), this new patch has effectively driven a nail through the heart of its corpse.

I'm deeply saddened by this change. I sincerely hope it will be fully reversed in a future patch--because this new setup is intolerable & far less player-welcoming than ever before.

Comments

• painfullylargepainfullylarge Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    Ok, disregard the 10 people thing. The UI is horribly difficult to navigate. I still dislike the inability to pick specific maps though.
  • trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    I can still do 1vs1. I admit it's more complicated now that they removed "Challenge Player" on right-click but it still works.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • painfullylargepainfullylarge Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    The new level restrictions are also annoying. Level 15's can no longer compete against level 50's. Which dis-allows the ability to make purposefully asymmetric teams (3 max level vs. 5 lower level).
  • fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    Just a follow-up to this (from the Accolades channel). We can still do it, but when we invite someone, just put the other person on a different team by changing their team number. Once that's done, most queues enable and can then be started.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    More wonders of the wonderful new queue UI. >:)
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    I could not care less about PVP, but i am curious where you got the info that anything was changed since it is not mentioned in the patch notes.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • marcase2marcase2 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    Yeah it is changed, not happy. Please return to the old right-click 'direct challenge' system and allow us to choose maps and create our own teams.

Not just PvP, but we use those maps to test builds and help new players with their builds (test effects, show cool-downs etc etc). Even if PvP is considered 'dead' (I disagree), it is a good training system for new players.

Please change it back.
    Marcase-Medal-banner-2.png
    The Mighty 44th. Boldly bashing Borgs to bits since 2010.

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    marcase2 wrote: »
    Yeah it is changed, not happy. Please return to the old right-click 'direct challenge' system and allow us to choose maps and create our own teams.

Not just PvP, but we use those maps to test builds and help new players with their builds (test effects, show cool-downs etc etc). Even if PvP is considered 'dead' (I disagree), it is a good training system for new players.

Please change it back.

Was this being abused to troll random players by challenging them? I"m pretty sure I've gotten more than one unsolicited challenge. There is no "enabled PVP flag" opt-in.

https://youtu.be/HIchNriZjxc
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    And i thought Season 13 was supposed to be the PvP season hence the rebalance.

It's turned more in S13 the 2nd great STO Player Exodus.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
    Nope, no trolling (if you were you could just warp out). It is/was used as a training tool mostly, and obviously a fleet event 1v1 and multi-v-multi pvp.

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Nope, no trolling (if you were you could just warp out). It is/was used as a training tool mostly, and obviously a fleet event 1v1 and multi-v-multi pvp.

So you're claiming you can't challenge random people in social zones who do not want to PVP? I can't log in to check this until tonight.

As a rule I don't challenge random people (no fun), but with this new system you can't challenge random people looks like, so you're safe.

• ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited August 2017

So you're claiming you can't challenge random people in social zones who do not want to PVP? I can't log in to check this until tonight.

I can confirm right clicking on another player has no option to challenge them. Invite to queue group has been added though which loaded up list of PvE/PvP match tabs. can't confirm if it lets you choose PvP as I got no fleet members or friends currently online to test if this is a replacement feature for challenge
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    Would be nice if they could add an "all vs. all" last toon standing pvp map. This is something that seems very obviously missing from the game. How hard can it be to implement? We do fleet events and it would be very fun and challenging to win all vs. all and get prizes.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You could always turn off that 'Allow Challange' in Options.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    I could not care less about PVP, but i am curious where you got the info that anything was changed since it is not mentioned in the patch notes.

I'm with you. The patch notes are mysteriously silent on this topic. I don't mind any addition that keeps people from bugging me for PVP--especially ol' What's-his-name (I'll never forgot ol' What's-his-name) who drives me to log off whenever his challenge pop-up occurs.

boldly-watched.png
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Can you explain the problem again? What about this is wrong?
    pvpism.jpg

boldly-watched.png
  • drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User

IF you're talking about how it has been in the past:

This is utter nonsense and completely inaccurate.

I have been turned off of many gaming sessions due to being trolled in this nature. I'm GLAD they changed it.
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited September 2017
  • dukedom01dukedom01 Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    That some dimwit people used it to troll you is not the point. You can avoid those attempts rather well.

The point is that an easy way to start those matches was removed (without a patchnote saying so) forcing people to use the bloated new queue ui thing. Which does not allow to pick specific maps. Makes it rather inconvenient for the few instances where people use it to test stuff instead (like almost all of them).

And that is not even the thing that worries me worst. A quick challenge was the only way to fix your character if you were stuck in a previous queuegroup. In case you do not know how that particular feature affects your character let me enlighten you. Once you are stuck in a previous queuegroup you can no longer join a team, or queue because the server thinks you are still in one. Basically it is game over for your character until you can resolve it. Restarting the client or even not logging in the affected character for hours did not work. The only thing that helped was a challenge match. Which no longer is possible because you would have to use the queue ui thing, oh wait you cannot join that because the server thinks you are still in a queuegroup.
    Ceterum censeo Otha supplendum in praemiis.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    dukedom01 wrote: »
    That some dimwit people used it to troll you is not the point. You can avoid those attempts rather well.

The point is that an easy way to start those matches was removed (without a patchnote saying so) forcing people to use the bloated new queue ui thing. Which does not allow to pick specific maps. Makes it rather inconvenient for the few instances where people use it to test stuff instead (like almost all of them).

And that is not even the thing that worries me worst. A quick challenge was the only way to fix your character if you were stuck in a previous queuegroup. In case you do not know how that particular feature affects your character let me enlighten you. Once you are stuck in a previous queuegroup you can no longer join a team, or queue because the server thinks you are still in one. Basically it is game over for your character until you can resolve it. Restarting the client or even not logging in the affected character for hours did not work. The only thing that helped was a challenge match. Which no longer is possible because you would have to use the queue ui thing, oh wait you cannot join that because the server thinks you are still in a queuegroup.

Cant you just click the Private tab, and select leave team ?
    (maybe I'm not understanding fully what the situation is..)
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    Can you explain the problem again? What about this is wrong?
    pvpism.jpg

That there is 15 people in queue for PvP...that can't be right. That number is WAY too high.
    That's not 15 people. It's 8 people, some of whom are queued in multiple queues.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    To prevent the embers from re-catching fire? A trick question I assume. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    PvP has been dead for at least three years now. Why not just give it up? STO =/= PvP Just look at the dates on these thread links and others there in those threads. 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014!
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png