test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The new queue UI... again

Couldn't find a recent thread without extensive searching, so this is it!

First of all, I like that you can queue for more than three queues, but: I just queued for a a queue because someone was asking for more players to join. Soon after I noticed, I was the one after it popped who came in. So I decided I'll queue for some other queues as well, and noticed that the option to leave selected queues was greyed out, and couldn't leave the queue (which by itself is hillarious that I have to do to queue for more anyway) to queue my preferred list. Had to log off and back in to queue again.
In my opinion such a UI is not just worse as the one we had before, but it qualifies as absolutely bad UI.

Comments

• benselassem#4731 benselassem Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    And when I was finally back in I lost any motivation to play anything...
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    As much as I dislike the UI we are stuck we with it. I'd even go as far as saying if every Player turned round and said we ain't using it, roll it back to the previous one and stood by that statement, the powers that be at Cryptic HQ wouldn't care. I mean after the broken and totally abysmal state it was launched in and the bugs it still has, do they actually care about the quality of the product they produce ?.

I love the poor Player who either DC's or gets randomly kicked and for the rest of PvE you get the flyby of Player has joined the match/Player has left the match. Had that in 2 ISA's yesterday for over 3 mins CONSTANTLY for remainder of those matches. Or if you create a private match and unlike the old UI where the team are disbanded after you leave the PvE you have to leave the team before it will let you queue solo for anything new but doesn't indicate you are still teamed.
    Post edited by ussvaliant#6064 on
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Honestly after the tweaks to the new UI I don't mind it at all. The only gripe is that you can't join or leave individual queues without leaving them all, changing the selection and then joining them all again.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I manage to dequeue successfully all the time..

All I do is join a queue and try and play.. then boom.. I get kicked out of the queue.

Easy! :)

The queue system totally sucks.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    It still sucks worse than the old one. GJ Cryptic! :#
    I hope the guy who programmed it got fired. (Yeah, I know, he probably got an award instead.)
  • mattaukettmattaukett Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    Bits of the new UI are growing on me (it looks nice, and the prebuilt filters are useful). Not to mention I don't miss double clicking on a queue to join it and suddenly finding myself prompted for whatever mission was the newest featured one at the top of the list or the list that (and features list on shuttle weekend in particular) that was getting so long as to be making the old one unusable at times.

But the new one has still got some fundamental flaws for me, such as the difficulty of queuing for multiple difficulties at once (I think it is actually doable but haven't tried it), inability to join additional queues once you've queued for something without leaving/rejoining them all and my personal favourite the complete lack of information on queue status once you accept a mission start (be it aborting the queue cause there's not enough people joining or the just suddenly warping you in with no notice). Plus the loss of the flexible start numbers on some of the larger queues plus the fleet actions that now seem to be set at a certain level but don't do a particularly good job for scaling low level players with the higher level players in the same map is also a problem (looking at things like Big Dig, Gorn Minefield etc).

It was clearly rushed (pushed to tribble with a week before going live) and like someone said above there is no way Cryptic are going to roll it back either. For me, if the things above got fixed/improved on then the new system would be reasonably good. But question is will they get fixed or are we stuck with what we have.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Well, it's better than it was at first, but there's still a lot of work before it's as good as the old system.

The categories are less useful than you think, as they aren't entirely accurate (for example, no red alerts in "competitive marks" cat even though they award them) and the "fleet marks" and "choice marks" categories almost duplicate the "all" category (since almost everything has at least a choice between rep and fleet marks). Other players very much do miss double-clicking queues to join instead of the complicated series of checkboxes and buttons and the "you didn't join the queues, join now?" -prompt that appears even when the queue already popped. And yes, the features list is now permanently huge with pictures that make it hard to read the text and requires horizontal scrolling.

The lack of a status display for popped queues is one of my favorites as well. And of course, what little information displayed in the queue window is often blatantly false, such as showing there are 0 people in the queue even when you're in it yourself and thus it can't possibly be less than 1.

Despite there being an option in the difficulty filter to display "all" AND a checkbox to show only the selected diff, it's still impossible to actually display all the difficulties at once.

But the absolutely worst and still more or less completely unfixed from the start is the UI for private queues "queue groups." Starting from the fact you can't actually tell if you're in one without manually checking in the separate tab, to pretty much randomly choosing if you're gonna stay in the group after a mission is over or not (have to check every time). Yes, lack of flexible start numbers (no more solo Big Digs/Breaking the Planets/SB24s). The most egregious error I found the other week when I was (unknowingly) still in a group after finishing a mission and wondered why the public queue list was suddenly missing a lot of queues...turns out it hides queues in the public list as well if the other group members can't join (there was a klingon) without telling you anything.

But it looks nice so that makes it all better, right? >:)
  • mspfuelermspfueler Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Or if you create a private match and unlike the old UI where the team are disbanded after you leave the PvE you have to leave the team before it will let you queue solo for anything new but doesn't indicate you are still teamed.

This. Caught me a couple times and I even submitted a ticket before I finally realized I was still stuck in the last match and had to clicky "leave". Silly.

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    As much as I dislike the UI we are stuck we with it. I'd even go as far as saying if every Player turned round and said we ain't using it, roll it back to the previous one and stood by that statement, the powers that be at Cryptic HQ wouldn't care. I mean after the broken and totally abysmal state it was launched in and the bugs it still has, do they actually care about the quality of the product they produce?

They don't care. The queue UI is really severely broken. Often I queue for, say, a Tholian RA, and then get a popup, and press 'Accept.' And then another weird popup, saying I haven't joined the queue yet (wut?!) and whether I want to. Duh, yeah. Or I wait and wait, and then they decided to unqueue me! (Making me wait a long time is bad enough: unqueu-ing me is adding insult to injury)

But they don't care.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    Games turning into a online version of top trumps. Log in, go into Duty Officers, Click and Collect rewards, Reset Doffing (If anyone still bothers), Reset Admiralty, Reset (If not completed) R&D, Refine dil and then Log out as trying to queue up for PvE is a waste of time as only Red Alerts and CCA are certainties to be able to play
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    I could write another long post about everything wrong with new queue UI, but seeing how Cryptic apparently doesn't care about us players being stuck with this absolute rubbish (just like meimeitoo said), and seems to have completely abandoned even tweaking it, I can't be arsed to write my list either. There are multiple posts in my post history, if anyone cares.
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    I still think it's a step back from the old one as a UI (this has become a running gag now) but we're stuck with it... Might as well make suggestions on how to improve it instead.

My first suggestion is to ditch the join selected queue button. Ticking the box next to the queue should queue you up. That would make it easier for you to add more queues while already in line for one or leave one without leaving other selected STFs.
  • benselassem#4731 benselassem Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    e30ernest wrote: »
    I still think it's a step back from the old one as a UI (this has become a running gag now) but we're stuck with it... Might as well make suggestions on how to improve it instead.

My first suggestion is to ditch the join selected queue button. Ticking the box next to the queue should queue you up. That would make it easier for you to add more queues while already in line for one or leave one without leaving other selected STFs.
    This. Or at least make it that I can leave the already selected queue to add other queues. Pretty please with sugar on top.
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    My speculative analysis of the queue issues:

The user interface isn't great but it also isn't the root cause of queues not populating. And I think queues not populating is more of the issue. We all remember STFs (even ground) taking 1-5 min for queue to fill. but back in the day, there was only like 10 options. Now there are about 50 different queues and most have 3 difficulty settings. that's almost of 150 queues. I just don't think player population exploded like the queue options. And even though there could be more players now, there's a lot of other stuff besides queues. The episodes and foundry missions provide fun and interesting stories and a lot of the players play this game because it's Star Trek and not an MMO.
    I think we can throw Admiralty into the hat for lack of activity as well. I just logged onto 1 character this morning and had both KDF and Ferengi TOD 10/10 to run together that'll be 60k dil which is 7 days worth of daily refinement rewarded for simply logging in and clicking buttons.

Admiralty/Doffing "does anyone remember when we used to be gamers"
    maR4zDV.jpg