test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

More Klingon Diversity Please

Comments

• thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    Kol, the Klingon in my original post, is from the House of Kor. We've already seen at least two Houses and they look the same. The only difference is their clothing.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Again an assumption. We've only seen a few Klingons from one particular House. Their appearance could be explained as some kind of sub-cultural thing like how some ancient cultures here on Earth would use boards to elongate the skulls of children to be closer to their gods. And the "4 nostrils" thing could again be cultural deformation. From what LITTLE we've seen, the primary antagonists are part of a more ritualistic Klingon House. In essence... one tribe out of many.

Instead of crying foul and "violating canon" we should wait until the show airs to learn more rather than just go off a few trailers.
    The showrunners and cast has confirmed that all Klingons have "special receptors and emitters" on their skulls, which is why they have longer skulls and they are bald. They even showed skulls at SDCC.

Now, there could be Klingons who wear headgear even though it is a detriment. Or even for ceremonial reasons.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    I am just going to +1 vote for more cosmetic options.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,310 Community Moderator
    Would be nice to have the human/klingon hybrid ridges from TNG and Romulan/klingon hybrid look from TNG's birthright

This can be achieved already as Klingons now have an option to use a humanoid shaped skull and go ridged or ridgeless, plus there is a pointed ear option as well.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    interesting
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      What?! There are Klingons in the KDF?! :o I thought it was just an Orion female sorority! :D
      Yeah really. I'm pretty sure the classic Empire is as good as done for. :p
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
      Let's not turn this into ANOTHER Discovery debate thread, please. :confounded:

Maybe the OP shouldn't have mentioned the abomination that are TRIBBLE Klingons if he didn't want them talked about?

To many people they aren't Klingons...
    • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
      edited August 2017
      If they are going to add the missing Klingon hairstyles then they will need to also add the canon human hairstyles from the shows missing in game such as Data's or Riker's hairstyles for a few examples.
    • thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
      lianthelia wrote: »
      Let's not turn this into ANOTHER Discovery debate thread, please. :confounded:

Maybe the OP shouldn't have mentioned the abomination that are TRIBBLE Klingons if he didn't want them talked about?

Ugh, and where exactly do we draw the line? Some people don't like VOY, so I suppose we should never bring it up? Some people refuse to accept ENT as canon because they hate it so much. Should we avoid that topic too? The opinion of the Kelvin timeline, I'm sorry the "Jar Jar Fake Trek", is well known. That means we can't talk about that either, right? And Cryptic would surely never add anything from them to the game? That would be insane! /sarcasm.

No one is forcing anyone to like every aspect of Star Trek, and it's ALL Star Trek regardless of your opinion. Had you read the whole thread you would have seen that even I have some misgivings about the DSC Klingons, but I'm not so full of myself to think Cryptic will never add them because of those misgivings. Some people WILL like and want them so you might as well get over it.

You don't like them? Then don't use them!
    • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
      is it possible to create the KT klingons in STO? for now they are my favorite klingons;
    • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
      is it possible to create the KT klingons in STO? for now they are my favorite klingons;

yes, you need lobi for the uniform. but I'm fairly sure all klingons have the ridge style.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
      lianthelia wrote: »

Star Trek Online has visual elements from all of Star Trek. It is a celebration of all things Star Trek, from movies to shows to novels (that are painfully cringy). Whatever elements of Star Trek: Discovery make their way into STO, the game will still be STO. Trite stories and repetitive content unique to it's established setting.

It is the diversity in visual elements that really make this game stand out. Constitution class cruisers next to Pathfinder class murderships adjacent to Universe class bloat-noughts. I wish Cryptic would tone down the special effects spam so I could appreciate that diversity more.
      reyan01 wrote: »
      sisko09 wrote: »
      I would also like to see updated klingon hair styles, considering Kurn And Martok have some really nice hair i'd like to use on my klingons
      Plus I would not mind Miral Paris' hair to use as well, and she herself is 1/2 Klingon.
      Well, apologies for being a pedant, but actually 1/4. Human father, 1/2 human 1/2 Klingon mother.
      Enh... genetics doesn't work that way. People use that more for historical purposes and ease of conversation since they can't see your DNA. But if your mother is 50% Klingon by genetic makeup you can get anywhere from 0 to 50% Klingon DNA.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
    • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
      When considering Klingon styles, there are many options which should be added. It is my belief that Discovery will make it into STO, and that it will begin at the end of the first season.

I hope that Klingons characters and captains are included, and I believe this could be an opportunity to get devs who have existing works in progress to complete them in time for a Discovery update to the Klingon tailor.

I think some, in their dislike of what they have seen of Discovery, may be overlooking the benefits Discovery style content brings to the KDF in general, which some feel to be a wee tad neglected. Tailor upgrades may include a backlog of updates for older Klingon models which nobody had time to install in the tailor. The same for ships. There are certain to be a lack of depth in the Discovery Klingon ship roster, which may need filling in with ship styles from other sources.

So, yes to new Klingon stuff, even if it's stuff I never want to use, because it might, (could, should,) result in more attention being paid to the KDF, and maybe even lure a few players over to the Dark Side of STO.
    • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
      Would be nice to have the human/klingon hybrid ridges from TNG and Romulan/klingon hybrid look from TNG's birthright

This can be achieved already as Klingons now have an option to use a humanoid shaped skull and go ridged or ridgeless, plus there is a pointed ear option as well.

The one caveat is that this isn't available for FED-aligned Klingons, only KDF (the parts aren't general updates, which would have been nice, only specific unlocks for having completed the AOY intro missions.) But "alien" still has it covered for those seriously interested in creating hybrid Klingon characters of one kind or another (also includes more options, like Klingon-Bajoran.)

Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
      Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
      Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
      The one caveat is that this isn't available for FED-aligned Klingons, only KDF (the parts aren't general updates, which would have been nice, only specific unlocks for having completed the AOY intro missions.) But "alien" still has it covered for those seriously interested in creating hybrid Klingon characters of one kind or another (also includes more options, like Klingon-Bajoran.)
      Or my personal favorite, Klingon-Orion:
      mumo2_by_marhawkman-d736ei4.png
      Yes, this one is a fed char, but you should be able to do the same on KDF.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
    • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      Oh gods, more tantrums about DSC by fanbois.

I don't see how the concept of 'don't like don't watch' is so difficult for them to grasp or the concept that not everything in the world is aimed at them specifically.

On the topic...

There are now about 5 or 6 hairstyles made for new Klingon NPCs such as Rodek, Worf, or Martok (and revamped older ones like Kahless and Alexander) and a few extra hairstyles made for them (including Worf's TNG hair) and about 12 other hairstyles ingame that work with ridged heads and can be ported over to the Klingons with a line of code but will never be.

They can't even manage to give us the TOS uniform assets like the ranks they already have made for AoY and the NPCs have, or the Gorn bodies and uniforms from AoY. There's also dozens of clothing items on NPCs and other factions that can be ported to the KDF easily but never will be.

All examples of NPC hair or hair from other factions or races that will work with ridged heads I collated a long time ago for a thread back when I stupidly assumed the KDF were ever going to get the ability to stop every last Klingon from looking like every other Klingon character.

This is an example of missing NPC gear for non-Klinogn NPC races from the same thread.

Whilst the Fed characters get new hair every time a new one is made (Tuvok, Paris, Kim etc.) The KDF does not and never will. Fed characters get TOS Andorian and Vulcan costumes in the C-Store, KDF get their Gorn ones nowhere despite them being promised along with TOS head unlocks.​​
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
      artan42 wrote: »
      Oh gods, more tantrums about DSC by fanbois.

I don't see how the concept of 'don't like don't watch' is so difficult for them to grasp or the concept that not everything in the world is aimed at them specifically.

On the topic...

There are now about 5 or 6 hairstyles made for new Klingon NPCs such as Rodek, Worf, or Martok (and revamped older ones like Kahless and Alexander) and a few extra hairstyles made for them (including Worf's TNG hair) and about 12 other hairstyles ingame that work with ridged heads and can be ported over to the Klingons with a line of code but will never be.

They can't even manage to give us the TOS uniform assets like the ranks they already have made for AoY and the NPCs have, or the Gorn bodies and uniforms from AoY. There's also dozens of clothing items on NPCs and other factions that can be ported to the KDF easily but never will be.

All examples of NPC hair or hair from other factions or races that will work with ridged heads I collated a long time ago for a thread back when I stupidly assumed the KDF were ever going to get the ability to stop every last Klingon from looking like every other Klingon character.

This is an example of missing NPC gear for non-Klinogn NPC races from the same thread.

Whilst the Fed characters get new hair every time a new one is made (Tuvok, Paris, Kim etc.) The KDF does not and never will. Fed characters get TOS Andorian and Vulcan costumes in the C-Store, KDF get their Gorn ones nowhere despite them being promised along with TOS head unlocks.​​

KDF Faction needs all the things you linked in this post.
      GrWzQke.png
    • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
      Wait, you can make ridgeless Klingons? Does that mean I can make a TOS Klink? Because that's the thing that's missing, from my perspective. :smile:
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
      jonsills wrote: »
      Wait, you can make ridgeless Klingons? Does that mean I can make a TOS Klink? Because that's the thing that's missing, from my perspective. :smile:

Yes but it is linked to getting an AoY ToS character to a certain level. . . Why does this feel familiar?

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
      Network engineers are not ship designers.
      Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.

Yes. Get a TOS fed to 2409 and any andorian tellerite form or Klingon can use their TOS head on any character on your account.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User

Yes. Get a TOS fed to 2409 and any andorian tellerite form or Klingon can use their TOS head on any character on your account.

Yeah I made what's decent looking "update" to the classic TOS look that keeps most smooth forehead and full head of hair but the outfit itself looks less like "low budget 1960s scifi" while still using parts of the TOS uniform.

Indeed, you can, but only on the KDF side. Even going beyond this, using the pointed ear option Klingons now have, I made a Klingon-Romulan hybrid.
      GrWzQke.png
    • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

akRqlof.jpg

you can even get chainmail sleeves and pant legs, but sadly my BOFF with that wasn't on this away team
      Finally found it. I thought I could do it at creation, but it turned out I had to get him into First City so I could visit a tailor. Now Lt. Kirrk, of the House of T'oupee, has his proper TOS look, as does his first officer K'Gan.
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
      edited August 2017
      akRqlof.jpg

you can even get chainmail sleeves and pant legs, but sadly my BOFF with that wasn't on this away team
      Mine look a bit different. :D
      beltrancollection_by_marhawkman-db5jtw9.png
      Sadly you can't color them to look like TAS.
      latest?cb=20061122024433&path-prefix=en
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      It's especially annoying as nearly every Klingon in TNG and DS9 has the same hair style, the one that's now ingame on Martok. And yet players still can't use it. Mind you we can't even give KDF players a single complete canon uniform (other than the KT one), not a single one!​​

#TASforSTO

It's especially annoying as nearly every Klingon in TNG and DS9 has the same hair style, the one that's now ingame on Martok. And yet players still can't use it. Mind you we can't even give KDF players a single complete canon uniform (other than the KT one), not a single one!​​
      Sure you can. Classic Tunic, then go for the high-tucked pants and it defaults to Chainmail. Recolor the tank-top part of the tunic to a medium green, make the turtleneck dark, take away the gauntlets, and tada! A TOS Klingon uniform, lacking only the little tabs on the turtleneck! (Remember that in TOS, only the CO gets the TOS sash...)
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png