test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New video card cannot play STO

I just got a brand new video card. The box says it is capable of DirectX 12. But it is somehow not capable of playing STO. When I try to log in, all I get is an error message that says,

"Support for the video card you are using has ended. You will be unable to play using this card. Please upgrade your video card to one that supports DirectX hardware feature level 10 or higher. See your video card manufacturer's documentation for information on DirectX hardware feature level support."

So, how is a DirectX 12 card not supported, but I can still play with my old AMD Radeon HD 6450?

1: Is this new card simply TOO powerful for STO?
2: Is there a way to fix this?
3: Am I forced to just swap in the AMD Radeon HD 6450 whenever I play STO?
I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
Click here to view my DeviantArt.

Comments

• heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    I'm getting the same error message. I have DirectX 12 installed. I'm using an ASUS Laptop an NVidia Gforce GTX 860M, Drivers are up to date and I am wasting precious event days here. <_<
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    heavensrun wrote: »
    I'm getting the same error message. I have DirectX 12 installed. I'm using an ASUS Laptop an NVidia Gforce GTX 860M, Drivers are up to date and I am wasting precious event days here. <_<

I do not know what the issue is since I do not currently have any problems playing STO on with a nVidia GTX 960m in my laptop and a nVidia GTX 970 in my desktop. Have you tried going into the Launcher's option menu and check off "Force Verify". In the worst case scenario you may need to reinstall STO.

For the short term, if you simply need to do the Flying High mission, then you can play the game using the Intel HD graphics core. I assume your laptop has a 4th generation Core i5 or i7 CPU with the Intel HD 4400 graphics. That is good enough play STO at 1600x900 resolution with a mix of medium and low settings with Lighting 2.0 disabled. It will not look pretty compared to playing with the nVidia GTX 860m, but performance will be reasonable enough until you can get this issue sorted out. Perhaps roll back to an older graphics driver.

Be aware that in some rare cases Windows updates can break things. For example, I have Skyrim installed on both my laptop and desktop. After a Windows update a few months ago Skyrim stopped working on the laptop. Both laptop and desktop were updated on the same day, but I had no issues launching Skyrim on my desktop. I ended up having to reinstall Skyrim from scratch (and all the mods that were installed) to get the game up and running again.
  • bluejacket2bluejacket2 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    heavensrun wrote: »

I have the same kind of set up on my Asus Gaming Laptop. And it is only 8 months old. I was playing STO just 2 hours ago. What gives.
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Hello! The 1050Ti is a good card and it's not too powerful for STO, I'll get you playing on the highest graphics settings in no time.
    Also welcome to the green Nvidia team, we're happy you switched from AMD, hehe. Sorry for the troubles you are experiencing.

First, let's go over one thing. When you installed the drivers, did you use the CD/DVD that came in the box? That is a big no no.

Download the latest drivers from https://www.geforce.com/drivers.

Now that you've installed the latest drivers for your system, let's just.. Go over a few things. I know you might have tried this, but yeah.

First off! Let's go to the device manager. Click the start button and just search for 'Device Manager' and expand the "Display Adapter" options, this is simply to verify that the card is installed but most importantly being recognized properly by Windows. In your case it should say something like 'Nvidia GeForce 1050Ti' if it says AMD even though your Nvidia card is installed, we'll fix that. If it also says something along the lines of 'Standard VGA adapter' the drivers are not working.

vHEHLQ6.png

Now if the card is showing up properly. Let's double check that Windows has the proper DirectX function installed, click on the start button and select the 'run' command and type in 'dxdiag'. You can also just search for that.

3POG0kg.png

When you open it, it might ask you if you'd like your drivers to be "Digitally verified" or something. You can click yes or no, it does not matter in this scenario. This window will show you what directx function you have installed.

QRXGXeN.png