test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would a Photonic Cannon actually work against the Borg?

lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
Recently I was watching Voyager reruns and hit the episode where the Doctor was daydreaming about being in command of Voyager. In his fantasy he easily fights off the Borg using the fictitious "Photonic Cannon". Now this is obvious just a daydream and doesn't reflect in story reality, but I got to thinking about the basic concept.

Photonic energy is what the holo-emitters on Voyager used to give their creations temporary substance. In the movie First Contact we see Picard duck into the holodeck and use a holodeck gun to kill a couple Borg drones. Most people equate this as Borg shields not working on bullets, but those weren't actually real bullets, they were photonic bullets. So in theory could a hypothetical ship-scaled photonic cannon work against the Borg?

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    if the plot demands it work, Q himself won't be able to stop it working​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Any attack can work against the Borg - once.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

Or multiple times provided it is a plot device from the future.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

First Contact and Voyager Borg have a very short memory pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    Theoretically, if your holoemitters are powerful enough, you could project a small moon. Better yet, a moon that, being nothing more than re-sequenced photons, could do anything at the speed of light. Ever try swatting away Borg Cubes with a moon-sized baseball bat?​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    Recently I was watching Voyager reruns and hit the episode where the Doctor was daydreaming about being in command of Voyager. In his fantasy he easily fights off the Borg using the fictitious "Photonic Cannon". Now this is obvious just a daydream and doesn't reflect in story reality, but I got to thinking about the basic concept.

Photonic energy is what the holo-emitters on Voyager used to give their creations temporary substance. In the movie First Contact we see Picard duck into the holodeck and use a holodeck gun to kill a couple Borg drones. Most people equate this as Borg shields not working on bullets, but those weren't actually real bullets, they were photonic bullets. So in theory could a hypothetical ship-scaled photonic cannon work against the Borg?

Maybe it could. So could slapping a spare warp drive on a convenient asteroid and running it into the cube at several times the speed of light.

See, this is the problem with Starfleet's entire approach to the Borg in the franchise. They keep throwing all kinds of credits down a hole for new technologies and having the Borg adapt to them almost immediately, instead of innovating with tactics, fleet doctrine, and existing technology. Go lower tech, not higher tech. I think Thor said it best:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGiSNPYj_iU
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    thor had to be schooled by carter in 'low-tech'; i assume whatever he said was after that occured​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    thor had to be schooled by carter in 'low-tech'; i assume whatever he said was after that occured​​

Well, replace Thor with Starfleet in that clip and you get the idea.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Or, as Molly Millions/Sally Shears advised in one of William Gibson's Sprawl novels, "When they get crude, you go technical. When they get technical, you go crude."
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    In the Avengers someone asked Thor why he used a hammer, and his response was that it's because it works.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    It utterly amazes me that at no point in the franchise has it ever been suggested that a ship try to ram another ship while at warp. With as crazy as Klingons get you would think Worf would have suggested it at a few points. Even the Dominion would be a likely candidate for that type of strategy, could you imagine them taking a few of their bug ships and ramming them into starbases and colonies, the Federation would have been offering surrender within a week.

• brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Someone should talk to Jerry Pournelle about weapons development.

Or Gordon R. Dickson.

"A man with a crossbow at the right place at the right time is worth a corps of artillery a half hour late and a mile from where they should be."
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    It utterly amazes me that at no point in the franchise has it ever been suggested that a ship try to ram another ship while at warp. With as crazy as Klingons get you would think Worf would have suggested it at a few points. Even the Dominion would be a likely candidate for that type of strategy, could you imagine them taking a few of their bug ships and ramming them into starbases and colonies, the Federation would have been offering surrender within a week.

Unless stationary and planetary defenses include defenses against that...​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

Ramming a 100,000,000 kg ship going at Warp 9 into a planet is a planet destroyer. Warp 9 is travelling at 1516 times the speed of light which results in a kinetic energy of about 2.5 x 10^15 Megatons. 100,000,000 kg is just slightly heavier than an aircraft carrier. Having the ship travel at Warp 1 would result in a kinetic energy of about 1.0 x 10^9 Megatons.

Most of the Federation's enemies were interested in conquest rather than extermination and the only enemy races that had planet killers was the Xindi with their superweapon and Species 8472 which had no interest in invading the Federation.

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Ramming a 100,000,000 kg ship going at Warp 9 into a planet is a planet destroyer. Warp 9 is travelling at 1516 times the speed of light which results in a kinetic energy of about 2.5 x 10^15 Megatons. 100,000,000 kg is just slightly heavier than an aircraft carrier. Having the ship travel at Warp 1 would result in a kinetic energy of about 1.0 x 10^9 Megatons.
    We don't know what the kinetic energy of an object at warp is.

At relatistivic speeds, you can't use the E=1/2 mv² formula anymore, you have to consider relativistic mass.

And using relativistic mass, an object approaching the speed of light would gain infintie mass, and hence, at light speed or beyond would have an infinite amount of kinetic energy and it's not going to get lower if you could accelerate beyond the speed of light. Obviously, this isn't true in Star Trek, so what the actual kinetic energy is, or what the effect of an object at warp colliding with an object not at warp is remains unclear.
    Maybe it could. So could slapping a spare warp drive on a convenient asteroid and running it into the cube at several times the speed of light
    If that would actually work by the rules of the Star Trek physics, then they probably wouldn't bother putting antimatter aboard their photon torpedoes. At high kinetic energy levels at relatistivistic speeds, there is basically no difference anymore between matter and matter colliding or matter and anti-matter colliding.

---

So, what would work against the Borg? Does the plot demand it working? Then yes.

If they stay true to the idea that the Borg adapt, then it wouldn't work often. And that in my estimation probably applies to all the tricks succesfully employed against the Borg, be it phasers, phasers with rotating frequencies, transphasic torpedoes, Bat'leths, Data's fists, holographic bullets, Drones that learned the concept of indivdiduality...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    If that would actually work by the rules of the Star Trek physics, then they probably wouldn't bother putting antimatter aboard their photon torpedoes. At high kinetic energy levels at relatistivistic speeds, there is basically no difference anymore between matter and matter colliding or matter and anti-matter colliding.
    Photon torpedoes can't do that, they're too small to fit a warp drive. Their engine can only maintain a warp field if the ship firing them is already at warp. And the thing is, they usually don't do anything at relativistic speeds, otherwise they'd be invisible blurs. 99% of fights in Star Trek take place within visual range between objects not traveling very fast at all, relative to each other. Even on occasions they fight at warp, the combatants are practically stationary relative to each other.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Sooo... we got no confrimation that warp speeds even work that way some people assume and they got saying starfleet is dumb for not follow their assumption on how fictional space physics work?
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Kamikaze is right all along. Our kaitens suicide torps will destroy the imperialist white pigs warships snd hit the coast of california and destroy america. TRIBBLE the 18-inch guns.
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
    k20vtec wrote: »
    Sooo... we got no confrimation that warp speeds even work that way some people assume and they got saying starfleet is dumb for not follow their assumption on how fictional space physics work?

Except that Starfleet doesn't sacrifice manned ships to destroy planets. The parallel universe shown in the Parallels episode where the Borg succeeded in assimilating Earth might make the survivors desperate enough to start destroying planets. Klingons, Dominion, Romulans, and Cardassians are or were in the business of conquering planets not destroying them.

Except that Starfleet doesn't sacrifice manned ships to destroy planets. The parallel universe shown in the Parallels episode where the Borg succeeded in assimilating Earth might make the survivors desperate enough to start destroying planets. Klingons, Dominion, Romulans, and Cardassians are or were in the business of conquering planets not destroying them.
    Heck, if all you want is to render the planet uninhabitable, you don't even need warp drives. Just drop a few asteroids on the place, and reenact the K-T Event.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Heck, if all you want is to render the planet uninhabitable, you don't even need warp drives. Just drop a few asteroids on the place, and reenact the K-T Event.
    Earth didn't become uninhabitable in the K-T event. Just... unhinhabitable for a significant part of its lifeforms.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited July 2017
    > @k20vtec said:
    > Sooo... we got no confrimation that warp speeds even work that way some people assume and they got saying starfleet is dumb for not follow their assumption on how fictional space physics work?

By all accounts, a ship traveling at warp is still present in normal space-time and can still interact with sublight matter, otherwise they wouldn't need a navigational deflector.

Oh, wait, I forgot, that's a multipurpose technobabble generator, not something that actually serves a critical everyday function.

> @k20vtec said:
    > Kamikaze is right all along. Our kaitens suicide torps will destroy the imperialist white pigs warships snd hit the coast of california and destroy america. **** the 18-inch guns.

What is this, the Dark Ages? Fly the ramship on remote control or autopilot.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

You know, word has it they've used extended warp fields to move planets. Why not just throw planets at other planets? Or hit one with it's own moon. Or hey, hit one hard enough, and you could fling it into a sun.​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.

because if you start flinging around planets at FTL speeds, that will set off a chain reaction that will destroy the entire universe​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I think with ramming into things at warp speed, the question how much does the subspace interact with real space for the 'collision', or how fast the object is moving in realspace when it hits. (There's a bit in one of the early Voyager books when they go with the 'non-interaction' when they have a large object that needs killing - maximum effectiveness, in their judgement, would take more speed than the impulse drives could keep up instead of warp, but there was still the issue of interception and deflection).

To note on planet cracking - making something uninhabitable is really No Big Thing in Star Trek, hence General Order 24. Fortunately everyone likes the same real-estate, eh?

Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    I think with ramming into things at warp speed, the question how much does the subspace interact with real space for the 'collision', or how fast the object is moving in realspace when it hits. (There's a bit in one of the early Voyager books when they go with the 'non-interaction' when they have a large object that needs killing - maximum effectiveness, in their judgement, would take more speed than the impulse drives could keep up instead of warp, but there was still the issue of interception and deflection).

To note on planet cracking - making something uninhabitable is really No Big Thing in Star Trek, hence General Order 24. Fortunately everyone likes the same real-estate, eh?

Except the Tholians and the Breen. The Xindi-Aquatics might fall in here as well, but many worlds that have good land for us may well have equally great water for them, so you never know.​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.

• antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    admiralnat wrote: »

Except the Tholians and the Breen. The Xindi-Aquatics might fall in here as well, but many worlds that have good land for us may well have equally great water for them, so you never know.​​

If you've rendered the planet uninhabitable and left all the algae going in the ocean, you've done a pretty weak job of it. :)

The Tholians do at least seem not to go out of their way to despoil other people's worlds, though you could probably make one of their planets unlivable for them.

Though the Tholians are the group we do see messing with worlds. Weirdly, the two times we see Tholians messing with a world's habitability, the first time they're deliberately baiting someone, and the second they're *cooling off* the place.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    admiralnat wrote: »

Except the Tholians and the Breen. The Xindi-Aquatics might fall in here as well, but many worlds that have good land for us may well have equally great water for them, so you never know.

If you've rendered the planet uninhabitable and left all the algae going in the ocean, you've done a pretty weak job of it. :)

The Tholians do at least seem not to go out of their way to despoil other people's worlds, though you could probably make one of their planets unlivable for them.

Though the Tholians are the group we do see messing with worlds. Weirdly, the two times we see Tholians messing with a world's habitability, the first time they're deliberately baiting someone, and the second they're *cooling off* the place.

I wasn't saying the Aquatics would just ruin the land and leave the oceans; I meant that they might consider some of our worlds habitable for reasons different from our own. Different requirements, similar planets.​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.