test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wonder Woman Sets a Record Opening for a Female Directed Feature

valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,726 Arc User
Wonder Woman exceeded all expectations this weekend, delivering an impressive $100 million opening, the largest opening for a female-directed feature, vastly out-performing the previous record holder Fifty Shades of Grey, which debuted with $85.1 million back in 2015.

Full Article

The film is also sitting at an impressive 93% fresh on Rottentomatoes.com

I was very vocal against Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman when it was first announced she had the role. Having seen her in BvS (the best part of the film IMO) and from what I've seen of her in this film, I happily eat my words.

See WB/DC? This is how to make a good film. Forget the grimdark, depressing TRIBBLE and remove Zach Snyder from anything and everything and you can compete with Marvel.

Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
thecosmic1 wrote:
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Sucks for Marvel that they lost Patty Jenkins during Thor 2. This movie was great.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I heard Wonder Woman was actually better than the previous DC offerings.

Seems like after Batman Begins, DC had tried several times to recapture that success by replicating that same formula of grim/dark. And it failed. Miserably. Marvel dominates still with their movies, but if even half of what I heard of Wonder Woman is true, we might actually see a bit of a DC comeback.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    I think the Nolanverse films worked because, number one, it wasn't completely grimdark and retained a hopeful atmosphere even in its darker moments, and broke up the darkness with bits of humor (not to mention Heath Ledger's show-stealing performance as the Joker). Number two, it wasn't just a superhero film, it was rather Trek-like in that it was a science fiction work with commentary on social issues woven in (the relationship between poverty and crime, surveillance and policing, corporate greed and corruption, the value of a symbol for a movement).

The DCEU films by contrast are basically just "superhero beats up bad guys" so far. But I'll be interested to watch Wonder Woman and see if they managed to pull it off (the reviews are encouraging).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited June 2017
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Without getting in to spoilers, and with the caveat that I like the extended BvS & MoS, Wonder Woman is a superior film. It has humor, heart, action, & it nearly brought me to tears a few times. Robin Wright will always be Princess Buttercup to me but her General Antiope (WW's Aunt, commander of Themyscria's Army) was fantastic.
    ... Robin Wright? Seriously? I haven't heard hide or tail of her in years. That tears it: I'm definitely seeing this one this weekend.

Oh, and in the "stupid people doing stupid things" category, Lebanon banned the film because the lead actress is Israeli. Apparently the fact that Wondie is Greek didn't percolate through.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    what, the lebanese have something against jews?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    I'm very surprised this did well. DC movies outside Batman just don't seem to get that big showing like Batman movies do. There's been so many Batman flicks since the 90s that it's actually become a tradition of sorts, "Let's go watch Batman!"

I'm not a DC vs Marvel guy, but I know DC wants something else working out big in the movies other than Batman.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    probably several. Then again, almost all the Arab countries hate Israel.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > what, the lebanese have something against jews?​​

Not Jews, Israel. The two countries are kinda like North and South Korea in that they're legally still at war but there haven't been any actual hostilities since a ceasefire after the '06 war.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

Not jews....Israel...right now what's going on their being done to the Palestine people by the Zionist, so-called jewish folks (the old rabbi I knew in Detroit openly burned an Israel flag, since many jews do NOT recognize Israel, and it's pretty much a zionist state....where they openly scream things like "White power!" in the bars) is akin to what happened to the Native Americans here, and South Africa, and the sort of barbarism you don't see really on mainstream news. Some of the stuff going on there, such as Palestine teenagers getting shot, and Israeli folks laughing and snapping pictures with their phones.

So, yes, I can see why they might have a problem. And no, this is not some anti-jewish post, so don't anyone start some "you anti Semite!" speech, just me stating why some folks have a problem with Israel and certain 'jews', though they are more Zionist than anything else, and they are more like a cult or hate group more than anything else.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    edited June 2017
    ^And that was the part I was trying to avoid mentioning because it never ends well. Suffice to say, nothing is ever simple in that part of the world. AND THAT'S ALL THAT NEEDS BE SAID ABOUT IT.

The stupid part of this was that the Lebanese public was apparently really looking forward to the movie.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    ^And that was the part I was trying to avoid mentioning because it never ends well. Suffice to say, nothing is ever simple in that part of the world. AND THAT'S ALL THAT NEEDS BE SAID ABOUT IT.

The stupid part of this was that the Lebanese public was apparently really looking forward to the movie.

Well, I often will want to say, though they try to avoid it. If it's to be said, gotta say it, yo.
    Stop the greed/bigotry and things will smooth out....not to mention the egos gotta be cast aside, too.

Anyhow, it's the first time something for banned like this. On one of Jeff Dunhma's international tours, the Malaysian government banned him from using his Achmed character, or even mentioning the name....much to the annoyance of the folks in the audience.

I am sure some folks in Lebanon will either download the film or smuggled some bootleg DVD or something.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    he still used achmed though - he just modified the look slightly and used a different name​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I'm very surprised this did well. DC movies outside Batman just don't seem to get that big showing like Batman movies do. There's been so many Batman flicks since the 90s that it's actually become a tradition of sorts, "Let's go watch Batman!"

I'm not a DC vs Marvel guy, but I know DC wants something else working out big in the movies other than Batman.

The reason why the Batman films worked was because the grimdark atmosphere is appropriate for it. Dark and gritty has always been a hallmark of the Bat franchise. It's why the 1989 Batman and its followup film worked. The two after that failed because Joel Schumacher failed to understand that dark and gritty works. Instead we got Tommy Guns with neon light swirls and bad puns galore. In contrast, Batman the Animated Series stuck to the great characterizations and the grimdarkness that made the '89 film so perfect, and was rewarded by a loyal following and the distinction of having an original character (Harley Quinn) get ported over to the comics, DCEU, and CWverse (yes, she had a cameo, but they never called her by name).

When Bale Bats came on the scene, I was intrigued with the first, then blown away by the sequel. Then the third one came along and failed (in my opinion) because it had Batman do the one thing that Batman would NEVER do. He quit. Other than that failure, the Nolan franchise stuck to the grim and dark and made it work well. They made a TON of money in the process.

Then Hack Snyder came along to start what would become the DCEU. Seeing the success of the Nolanverse films, he strove to emulate what made then so successful. Unfortunately, he arrived at the wrong conclusion that the gritty, grimdark realism was what made it successful and set out to make Man of Steel in the same fashion. It was a movie that had so much potential to be great, but it was hampered by one major flaw. Snyder was onto something when he wanted to emulate the Nolan films, but what made them great was not the grim, gritty realism, but that the hero was true to the character. Man of Steel did not have this. Batman v Superman was a good film, but would have been better served split into two films. They just crammed too much into the film and the film suffered as a whole. Suicide Squad was hampered by a lackluster villain and Will Smith being Will Smith.

Then Winder Woman came along. Patty Jenkins utterly knocked it out of the park. The film had humor and heart as well as kickass action. Most importantly, they got the characterization of Diana correct. She's not just a warrior, but also a nurturing mother-like figure. She has always balanced the warrior side with her femininity, and Gal nailed that aspect.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
    starswordc wrote: »

It's also worth mentioning that it's not exactly a one-sided thing...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    > @markhawkman said:
    > It's also worth mentioning that it's not exactly a one-sided thing...

Indeed: as I said, nothing is simple about that part of the world, there's blood aplenty on everyone's hands. The story of the Middle East is one of imperial powers and religions going all the way back to the Caesars if not earlier. You can't break it down to simple "good and evil" or sum it up in a forum post and you do yourself a disservice to try. To really get a handle on it you need to study history, you need to study politics, you need to study theology, and you need to study it all with an open mind and a critical eye for who's telling what story.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

coldnapalm wrote: »
    Suicide Squad was hampered by a lackluster villain and Will Smith being Will Smith.
    I actually liked how most of the people acted with their character. Even Will Smith. Okay, Leto's joker was a serious WTF, but otherwise the characters were done well I thought. The issue was the bloody STORY. They made Waller do some pretty stupid ****. She is suppose to be smart enough to be a foil for Batman and they make her do what she did in the movie?!? They had moments where the story makes sense and than it goes into touchy feelie villians have a heart story arc. This movie feels like it had a good story, good acting and a great movie that was butchered by committee to make it into a vomit swarm of stupid that movie is. This movie is an example of why movie execs are useless twats that needs to be fired.
    Waller's weakness is that she sometimes gets over confident when she thinks she's winning. This time she takes a fall because she got overconfident in her ability to control others. She over estimated her ability to control the Enchantress and the Enchantress found a way to escape her control. Something similar happened in JLU. She got so focused on playing cat and mouse with the JL, that she forgot that there were other threats out there. Then a Cadmus facility got nuked by a third party.

Which reminds me... the JLU Suicide Squad was sent on a mission to retrieve a mystical weapon... which turned out to be counterproductive in the end....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I'm on team Palestian, but banning Wonder Woman because Gal Gadot is Isreali is goofy, it's not like she was a former Prime Minister or Defence Minister, and while she likely in the Isreali army at one time (Isreali is one of the rare countries that drafts women into the military), I don't believe she's accused of war crimes.
    lordgyor wrote: »
    I'm on team Palestian, but banning Wonder Woman because Gal Gadot is Isreali is goofy, it's not like she was a former Prime Minister or Defence Minister, and while she likely in the Isreali army at one time (Isreali is one of the rare countries that drafts women into the military), I don't believe she's accused of war crimes.

Israel has conscription, where you HAVE to serve for two years, barring extreme cases such as physical inability to do so.

As far as what she did in the IDF, she was a combat instructor, specifically in the areas of gymnastics and calisthenics. She was never on the front lines.

As to the war crimes question, it depends on who you ask. To some people, such as the Palestinians and the Lebanese, simply being Israeli is a war crime, as all Israelis are required to serve.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    If you ask the Israelis... they'll say the same of Palestinians. I'm with the Israelis though. you don't see them blowing up school buses with suicide bombs, or firing rockets over the border at random targets.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    To me, what made this movie great was that it had that ineffable quality seen in a rare few comic book movies. That feeling is that when you finish watching the film, you realize that they just "got" it. In the span of a single movie, they truly captured the essence of the character and their story.

To date, only three other movies have managed this: Iron Man, Captain America: The First Avenger, and Superman: The Movie.

Despite its flaws, Wonder Woman has joined those films.

Of course, I'm still gonna gloat about how I fully supported Gal Gadot since they announced her casting. Given all the naysayers I had to endure, I have EARNED that right.

Things I want in STO:

valoreah wrote: »
    Would it be alright to humbly request to keep the geopolitical discussion out of this thread? Would be great if this can be kept on topic to discuss the success of the film. Thank you! :)

Agreed. If politics is banned in Zone Chat, it should be banned here as well.

Things I want in STO:

valoreah wrote: »
    I think it is fantastic that Wonder Woman is the film to break the string of sub-par, poorly reviewed DC films.

One might even go far as to say that it's... wait for it... wonderful.

...I'll see myself out.

Things I want in STO: