test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic, can you convince Vanilla to support 1080p / 1200p resolution in the forum?

jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
This has been bothering me for a long time. Below is a 1080p image of the forum taken with 100% zoom. Notice how much empty space is to the left and right? Not sure how Vanilla can remain in business if they cannot design a forum format that can dynamically adjust to the width of a pretty common resolution. There are a lot of monitors and laptops with screens that supports resolutions higher than 1366x768. Okay, 1200p is not common any more, but it still has 1,920 columns of pixels just like 1080p.

tHBOPq0.jpg

Comments

• jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Human factors experts say that our eyes have trouble tracking more than about 6 inches (~15cm) of text in a line. The outside value of the comfort zone is about 8 inches (~20cm). This is why hardcover editions of novels are the size that they are. Having Vanilla restrict its width to something based on human factors studies rather than just expanding to the arbitrary width of a monitor strikes me as a good idea.
    boldly-watched.png
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The current colour isn't half as eyewateringly bad as the previous purple was

It does however look like a farmers been spraying slurry.

Adjusting the width would help reduce the visual impact a ton.
  • ightenighten Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    monroe is correct - filling a screen with text is never a good idea. On a large screen your eyes would technically give up before they reached then end of the first line... Its actually ;(when you look into it ) one of the mysterys of evolution and learning as your brain is actually trained to drop a line at a set point - its used as an autism test.

TBF at the end of the day just ctrl roll - its hardly going to matter if your fonts just a little hazy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    Never understood how or why people can browse at full screen,... to each their own though I guess,...
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    When looking at data / information / documents I like being able to read / see a lot of information at once without the need to scroll.

Sure zooming in to make the text larger will span text across the screen, but doing so will result in less information being displayed on the screen at any single time. That means more scrolling is necessary.
  • ightenighten Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    Text going from left to right at such a width whilst still being readable would not be comfortable for most people.. Your brain would basically say - forget it.

If you find you can trust me your an exception to the rule - apple and ms spent years studying this and as I said earlier its actually used in one of the autism tests.

I think you can however tinker with the browser if you bring up the tools in firefox but whilst the text boxes will stretch the buttons end up all over the place
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]