test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sellback of patch-devalued items

mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
Suggestion: Allow players to sell back items to a vendor for a small percentage (e.g. 25%) of the cost in EC, fleet credits, and dilithium used to upgrade them. It would be a nice way to mitigate the frustrations of players who have invested a lot into certain gear that is unlikely to be used after the balance changes, e.g. plasma exploder consoles, and give them a one-time insertion of cash to assist a little bit in acquiring items that are more useful in the current version.

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    and how are you going to calculate that when the amount of resources spent to upgrade ANYTHING is completely random?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    SWAG it. By no means can they calculate how much a given item cost to upgrade, but I'm sure an average would probably be easy enough to make an equation for.

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Does any other MMO give refunds like that after gear / level changes? I don't know of any.
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    I have played other MMOs in which selling back a complex item would allow you to get a portion of all the resources that went into it, less the 75% vendor-invades-your-TRIBBLE tax. You can sell anything back for pennies of EC; all I propose is to also get pennies of whatever else might have gone into it as well.
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    No

This, iuf you are going to get a % back of what the cost to upgrade was, then you should also give a % back of the dilithium, reputation marks, and EC that you earned using said consoles. Only fair :)
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    No

I agree, NO.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, that's not going to happen. Like, ever.

Thing is, they devaluated our stuffz, *precisely* so they can start selling us moar stuffz. 'Refund' is a not a term which fits in said plan.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Also, if you enjoy playing the game, earning more dil will be fun not torment.

If you don't enjoy playing, perhaps you should stop :)
  • rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    cidjack wrote: »
    No

I agree, NO.

as do I, NO.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    There was the old Science consoles that got nerfed and people were able to sell it for a bunch of GPL. That happened a few months after the game launched. Cryptic could do the same with "patch-devalued" items.
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    mneme0 wrote: »
    Suggestion: Allow players to sell back items to a vendor for a small percentage (e.g. 25%) of the cost in EC, fleet credits, and dilithium used to upgrade them. It would be a nice way to mitigate the frustrations of players who have invested a lot into certain gear that is unlikely to be used after the balance changes, e.g. plasma exploder consoles, and give them a one-time insertion of cash to assist a little bit in acquiring items that are more useful in the current version.

I could see fleet credits for the plasma consoles. Since that would be easy for them to do. Other then that the leech console is basically non-refundable.
  • borgified007borgified007 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    Planned obsolescence
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Austin-Powers-Dr-Evil-How-About-No-Reaction-Face.jpg
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    mneme0 wrote: »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!! OH DAMN that was a good joke... wait you're serious??? LMFAO that's even funnier... grow up
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    A better idea - implement a system where we could break these things (or other less useful items) into component parts & reuse them in crafting.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I am slightly curious as to why the OP believes the embassy consoles won't be used. I certainly have no intention of scrapping mine.

I've seen a lot of talk about them being nerfed, but tbh I didn't see them listed in the tribble patch notes so idk, though I easily could have missed it in that list.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    oddly BGO does this regularly when they nerf into oblivion. But I don't recall STO ever doing it. I would say just cut your losses and drive on.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    If you're using them for aggro generation or avoidance, you're fine. If you're using them for added damage, there are now considerably better choices. Considerably.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I am slightly curious as to why the OP believes the embassy consoles won't be used. I certainly have no intention of scrapping mine.

I've seen a lot of talk about them being nerfed, but tbh I didn't see them listed in the tribble patch notes so idk, though I easily could have missed it in that list.

The Plasma proc on Weapon Signature Nullifiers and Amplifiers from the Fleet Embassy no longer bypasses shields, has had its damage reduced to 25% of what it was previously, and now procs per cycle instead of per shot.

yikes huh? Sell for scrap is my advice.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

The Plasma proc on Weapon Signature Nullifiers and Amplifiers from the Fleet Embassy no longer bypasses shields, has had its damage reduced to 25% of what it was previously, and now procs per cycle instead of per shot.

Yikes, indeed! And once per cycle, for realz?! Cryptic, you gotta be kidding me!

And then to think they had already nerfed the Embassy consoles, earlier.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    @evilmark444

They are going to be doing less damage, but that does not equal "useless & discard".
    Allegedly there will be an ultimate result of 95% total damage reduction from those consoles. That's the definition of useless.

I generally consider it a bad idea to throw something like that away though. I'll park mine on an unused ship. No sense in throwing them away in case things change in the future.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    I generally consider it a bad idea to throw something like that away though. I'll park mine on an unused ship. No sense in throwing them away in case things change in the future.

This. I am, personally, rather amused that most of the "changes" which appear needed consist of going back to build patterns I'd been using pre-Delta Rising.

Exactly what has been devalued anyway? Leech and Embassy consoles are not the must-haves they once were; but neither was desperately expensive anyway, and both retain situational use. Threat control still has utility, especially with Reciprocity or Improved Feedback Pulse using builds, and 25% of a stupid amount of damage is still a bonus.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User

Ouch. Can relate to ppl wanting refund these if they got them for dps purpose.

But the again; upping consoles is insanely cheap compared to i.e. weapons.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I don't think that will happen.

1) You bought and used the items already. So you got your mileage out of them, helping you gain fame or self-respect for achieving new personal or player-wide DPS record, or earning you additional Dilithium and other game rewards.

2) If the game ever closes down, you won't get any refunds either, and then everything you've bought in this game will not just be neutered, it will stop existing.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.