test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Character and NPC Skin Textures Broken since 3/9 & 3/10 Patches?

2»

Comments

• cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    czuri#2400 wrote: »
    And a possible fix still dont make its way to holodeck. I wonder how long we must wait for? Its annoying me realy to look all the time in that "ugly" faces of the toons and npc's.

Normal, like many already said, they dont care about L1.0.. so yea, the fix may be on tribble but they are not in a hurry to push it to holodeck, they just dont care about players with so bad graphic card that they cant use L2.0, like some one said, thouse players dont paid ;)

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • ricardo58ricardo58 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Yep, noticed that with my bridge officers like T'Met and my Character's face.
    Here's an example, this is what T'Met appearance should be:
    2.png
    And this is what her appearance looks like at the moment:
    1.png

Seriously fix this already please...
  • methos71methos71 Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    ricardo58 wrote: »
    2.png
    1.png

Nailed it! Played a good bit yesterday and T'Met popped up in my contact window a whole lot and looked exactly like that second example. The good news is that a fix for this has already popped on to Tribble. The likely bad news is that said fix probably won't be applied to Holdeck until the launch on April 25th.
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
    methos71
    screenshot_2012-03-27-13-37-23.jpg

• frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    methos71 wrote: »
    2.png
    1.png

Nailed it! Played a good bit yesterday and T'Met popped up in my contact window a whole lot and looked exactly like that second example. The good news is that a fix for this has already popped on to Tribble. The likely bad news is that said fix probably won't be applied to Holdeck until the launch on April 25th.

The real bad news is that the other (unannounced) graphics changes currently on Tribble will probably also go live on April 25th. I seriously doubt that they will make any significant changes before Season 13.

But the real, real bad news is this: RIP Risa nights
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • methos71methos71 Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    frtoaster wrote: »
    2.png
    1.png

The real bad news is that the other (unannounced) graphics changes currently on Tribble will probably also go live on April 25th. I seriously doubt that they will make any significant changes before Season 13.

But the real, real bad news is this: RIP Risa nights
    Hey, I'm not usually one to give Cryptic the benefit of doubt. Yet, you and I got through to that Dev on Reddit about those other unannounced graphics changes. And there's a whole 22 days until April 25th. I'm hopeful that they'll fix that nonsense before it goes live then.

As for that 'real, real bad news'? I can almost only say 'what the ever loving frak Cryptic??!!'. Seriously, the impression I got from Taco's tweet was 'We broke Risa, when we modded the lighting and we're too lazy to fix it'.

The thing that really puzzles me about all these problems is this...my understanding (based on all the Dev blogs and subsequent Dev comments) is that Lighting 2.0 is simply a mod to the game's original lighting. It's a mod, pure and simple. They can't and never will scrap the original lighting program and 2.0 is merely a modded program path that players can opt to use.

That being the case, then why the frak didn't they just leave the original lighting files and their program path completely untouched, safe and secure, in their original program path? The logical thing would've been to copy the original lighting parameters and only THEN mod that copy and create a separate path for 2.0. Anyone who's ever modded any game ever (and I once modded plenty of games) knows that this how it ought be done. So, again, what the frak Cryptic??!!
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
    methos71
    screenshot_2012-03-27-13-37-23.jpg

edited April 2017
    Hey, I'm not usually one to give Cryptic the benefit of doubt. Yet, you and I got through to that Dev on Reddit about those other unannounced graphics changes. And there's a whole 22 days until April 25th. I'm hopeful that they'll fix that nonsense before it goes live then.

It's not clear to me that he said anything about the unannounced graphics changes at all. This is all he said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/60kkxl/pc_alarming_gfx_ingame_control_settings/df79bci/
    TOPMOE wrote: »
    Interesting. It looks like the normal maps are reversed. I wouldn't be surprised if this is an accidental graphic artifact that was introduced in the recent patch.

Lighting 2.0 was a complete overhaul of the way our graphics engine renders everything in our game, and we've been chasing bugs ever since. We try to fix old shaders and issues as they pop up, so it's possible this is one of these cases.

I realize you haven't changed any graphical settings or hardware recently, but can you provide your basic PC specs?

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/60kkxl/pc_alarming_gfx_ingame_control_settings/df87yc6/
    TOPMOE wrote: »
    Thanks to your diligence, our graphics support team is currently working on a fix for this issue!

We can't catch all the bugs, and we really do appreciate your vigilance and quick reporting on this! Thank you!

It's not clear what "this issue" refers to. However, the reversed normal maps clearly refers to the problem with the face and skin textures. If you look up "normal mapping" on Wikipedia, you'll get an idea of what happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping

As for that 'real, real bad news'? I can almost only say 'what the ever loving frak Cryptic??!!'. Seriously, the impression I got from Taco's tweet was 'We broke Risa, when we modded the lighting and we're too lazy to fix it'.

The thing that really puzzles me about all these problems is this...my understanding (based on all the Dev blogs and subsequent Dev comments) is that Lighting 2.0 is simply a mod to the game's original lighting. It's a mod, pure and simple. They can't and never will scrap the original lighting program and 2.0 is merely a modded program path that players can opt to use.

That being the case, then why the frak didn't they just leave the original lighting files and their program path completely untouched, safe and secure, in their original program path? The logical thing would've been to copy the original lighting parameters and only THEN mod that copy and create a separate path for 2.0. Anyone who's ever modded any game ever (and I once modded plenty of games) knows that this how it ought be done. So, again, what the frak Cryptic??!!

I seriously doubt that Lighting 2.0 is "simply a mod". TOPMOE called it a "complete overhaul". And I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not. One misunderstanding that people often have is that disabling Lighting 2.0 gives you back the old lighting system. This is simply not the case. There are enough differences before and after AoYA (Agents of Yesterday: Artifacts) that you have distinguish between three cases:
    1. the old lighting system before AoYA
    2. the new lighting system after AoYA with Lighting 2.0 enabled
    3. the new lighting system after AoYA with Lighting 2.0 disabled
    qVpg1km.png
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Correct. As I understand it, the day/night cycle won't be there even if L 2.0 is disabled, it's simply been removed alltogether.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • gizmox64gizmox64 Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    At least they "know" about it now.
    Since the latest patch my toons seam to skip when they move, the smaller the toon the more pronounced it is.
    Can't use any of my small costumes, just to jarring.
    The low "muddy" textures on every toon, face, body, all those textures just are garbage.
    My wife won't even log on because her toons are "to ugly now" to look at.
    Of course the lighting is an issue being way to bright or so dark it's just black.
    I don't use 2.0, but even when I switch to it, the textures are all muddy still.

2.0 was for the consoles on the same engine, but different servers, so I bet they look fantastic, as the PC players get screwed.
    Think STO will take a back seat until this gets resolved.
    I won't be around next week, so I thought I would give the people in this thread a heads-up on what to expect when Season 13 goes live.

Bloom quality

The new "On" bloom quality setting has been greatly improved. It's much brighter than before, though still not quite as bright as the "High" bloom quality setting before AoYA (Agents of Yesterday: Artifacts).

Holodeck 10/23/2016: http://i.imgur.com/XZJByYF.jpg (Bloom quality: High)

Holodeck 10/30/2016: http://i.imgur.com/x9YOsLR.jpg (Bloom quality: High)
    Holodeck 03/20/2017: http://i.imgur.com/4ecUKHI.jpg (Bloom quality: High)

Tribble 03/30/2017: http://i.imgur.com/b9Wp2tN.jpg (Bloom quality: On)
    Tribble 04/06/2017: http://i.imgur.com/BoH1bgm.jpg (Bloom quality: On)

The first screenshot above was taken before AoYA. The rest were taken after AoYA with Lighting 2.0 turned off.

Shadows

The "Low" shadows setting is likely gone for good; I don't think they have any intention of restoring it. On Holodeck, low shadows are controlled by the setting "PrefEntry GfxSettings.DisableSplatShadows" in the gameprefs.pref file. As far as I can tell, this setting has no effect in recent Tribble builds.

Bugs

The graphics changes they've been making on Tribble have been accompanied by new bugs, the major one being invisible characters in the tailor when post-processing is turned on. I wouldn't be surprised if some or all of these bugs make it onto Holodeck when Season 13 launches.

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/13194155/#Comment_13194155
    Characters invisible in the tailor
    qVpg1km.png
  • ightenighten Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    Basically then everythings going to stay looking washed out unless they change the materials to suit L2.0?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]