test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crystalline Travesty

It is time for Crystalline Catastrophe to go. The mission should be removed from the standard queue list and only available during the CE Event. Reasons:

(CC = Crytalline Catastrophe. CE = Crytalline Entity)

1) It's become far to easy, given the advance of level capped players. The entity is generally shattered to shards within minute.

2) The mission itself is a quick and easy way of getting Fleet Mark dailies, whereas the standard Fleet Mark Missions - Fed Fleet Alert, Starbase Blockade and Starbase Incursion - take longer to do and/or have lower payoffs for completion.

3) Nukara Mark Dailies are in the same boat. A player can advance smoothly through Nukara Reputation without doing a single Nukara mission, except for the final contact at rep completion ... Don't drop the Nukara award for CE, just remove it from the daily queue.

CC has become the most played path of least resistance for easy Fleet Mark dailies, Nukara Rep dailies and quick dilithium. We've all taken advantage of it. Let's limit access to it to the CE Event and at that time make both Advanced and Elite queues available with commensurate rewards. Get people back to playing Fleet Alerts - which require some teamwork and coordination - by making those missions better worth the time and effort.

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,608 Arc User
    People would just move to Fed fleet defense which is even easier than CC though a little longer, and the red alert for Tholian marks.

Instead of taking away things to punish players, why not make other queues more attractive by for example having rotating weekly featured queues that offer bonus dil and/or marks?
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,745 Community Moderator
    Leave my CC alone. :p
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • northrangernorthranger Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    It's not punishment, man. The mission is stale. It needs to be refreshed and updated and an incentive to play something else offered. An attack by the dreaded Crystalline Entity on an inhabited world should be a special event.

Move the thing around to different inhabited systems - Vulcan, Risa, Bajor, Ferenginar, some Klingon or Romulan world. make it a different location each CC Event. Make CC fun again!

Ho-hum kills games.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    It is time for Crystalline Catastrophe to go. The mission should be removed from the standard queue list and only available during the CE Event. Reasons:

1) It's become far to easy, given the advance of level capped players. The entity is generally shattered to shards within minute.

2) The mission itself is a quick and easy way of getting Fleet Mark dailies, whereas the standard Fleet Mark Missions - Fed Fleet Alert, Starbase Blockade and Starbase Incursion - take longer to do and/or have lower payoffs for completion.

3) Nukara Mark Dailies are in the same boat. A player can advance smoothly through Nukara Reputation without doing a single Nukara mission, except for the final contact at rep completion ... Don't drop the Nukara award for CE, just remove it from the daily queue.

CC has become the most played path of least resistance for easy Fleet Mark dailies, Nukara Rep dailies and quick dilithium. We've all taken advantage of it. Let's limit access to it to the CE Event and at that time make both Advanced and Elite queues available with commensurate rewards. Get people back to playing Fleet Alerts - which require some teamwork and coordination - by making those missions better worth the time and effort.

Sounds like whining to me. Oh that last line"Get people back to playing fleet alerts -which require teamwork and coordination" is a damn sure sign you have not run any new content. Most of the new queues require exactly that.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    OP, in principle, I would agree..

Having said that, though, look at the Fleet Marks you get with CCA and compare those with a Fleet Alert.

The difficulty of CCA is (at least in my opinion) the same as a Normal queue, but the reward is far greater. It is no surprise that people flock to it for their Fleet Marks. The only way I see there being any parity between CCA and a Fleet Alert is if they either nerfed the rewards for CCA and made them the same as a currently classified as "Normal" Fleet Alert, or made a Fleet Alert "Advanced" and gave it the same rewards as CCA has now.

Also consider that there are some STFs that award even more Fleet Marks than CCA. It's all a balancing act between difficulty and reward.

Personally, I would love to have FAAs as I am hunting accolades on several characters... and there are lots of accolades to be had doing Fleet Alerts. Since those are usually not popping for me regularly, as opposed to CCA is, there's really nothing that can be done unless you find some fleet mates and do a run with them.

Overall though, you are comparing CCA with a normal queue. Obviously CCA is going to pay out better even though it is easy considering it is classified as an Advanced queue.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Translation: People play it all the time so lets remove it.

Yeah.. No.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    I don't agree. If you play Klingon or Romulan, it is hard to run a fleet defense daily. There are not enough players to make up a team. I've waited a long time for that mission to start and gave up!
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I propose CC should be replaced by CGB.
    CGB = Crystalline Gang Bang

Solo queue mission - 1 Player vs. 10 Crystalline Entities
  • peachpest04peachpest04 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    I love the idea of fixing something by removing it .......(fyi that was sarcasm)

Its still has a 30min CD like everything else but I agree with others maybe we should try improving the other queues and you also have to remember players will always seek out the best reward vs time vs effort, removing CC will simple move it onto something else thus not solving anything.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,450 Community Moderator
    han.gif

Fleet Alert doesn't need coordination. Get a strong enough ship in there and one of the two groups can be SOLO'D.
    Blockade? Snoozefest, with TRIBBLE reward payout.
    Starbase Incursion? Fun, but not optimal.

Crystaline has been a mainstay for a long time. The ORIGINAL version was open all day every day, and that one was dang near impossible because it was a drop in/drop out style and someone ALWAYS popped in and ruined a run by not knowing what you had to do and not do. *cough*Torp Spread Banzai Charge*cough*

Yea CE may be relatively easy these days, but that is no reason to remove it. During the event itself, it throws curve balls. Outside of the event, its one of the ONLY ways to get Nukara marks. Nukara ground missions can get tedious, Tholian Alert is fun, but not always successful. And CE outside of the event only offers 2 things. Fleet and Nukara Marks.

If there was an Elite version, maybe people would be challenged. Same could be said of the old Borg STFs.

Sorry OP, but your reasoning sounds more like trying to deny a resource than enriching other queues.
    [sarcasm] You gonna suggest the removal of Infected Space next? [/sarcasm]
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    easy fix make the entity a massive HP sponge and ramp up its power make getting hit by the shockwave an insta death period, make fighting it a daunting task even in an easy stf.

the entity should be a seriously powerfull threat but with powercreep at insane levels its just a mild speed bump.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    Bring back the Gekli Feeding Grounds, DS9 under Siege, and the NWS queues! No more removals! Make STO great again!
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    It's just another typical narrow minded, selfish and ignorant rant thread.

People don't like something, but just not doing it isn't enough.. no.. they want it removed for everyone else that enjoys it.

TRIBBLE stupid.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    I miss when Starbase Fleet Defense would pop every hour of every single day...

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    join us our armada do ffaa all the time. information under my signature. i never saw people asking in armada chat for cca team ups
    Post edited by garaks31 on
  • captainkrud1960captainkrud1960 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Yeah...how about... no.

I understand you want more attention drawn to the fleet stuff, OP, but, you need to understand that not EVERYONE runs CCA for fleet marks, granted most of them do, but its the ONLY space queue besides a Tholian or Borg alert that gives Tholian marks. There are some people who despise the tholian ground missions or just ground in general and to add on top of that, literally every stf in the game besides the the borg ones, minus Borg disconnected, gives fleet marks now. Of course ive been known to enjoy a fleet alert every now and then with friends, but if i need fleet marks, ill run anything else. Removing an stf because people are using it to exploit marks is ridiculous. If they followed that mentality, the borg stfs would have been removed after the 3rd week of the reputation launch. Not to mention theyd have like 7 stfs left.
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Take it out to *ahem* revamp it and gi e us nws back. Fair trade
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I would prefer a revamp, or buff to the CC stf, either turning it into a improved red alert version that might be found in all fo the quads, think of something like how it was in the early times of the stf. Or merely update/add a few things to the stf that would both buff the challenge an interest of it, but also keep it from getting stale like it has. I could see have a set of six or eight different abilities/mechanics that rotate as you warp into it, making it that there is some variety to the mission/stf, as well more depth to the mission overall.

I could see making the Crystalline Entity an the Tholian ships have some more interactions. Like that the power of the Entity (damage output, Hp, resistances) are tied to how many tholian ships are around. There is also that the tholian ships might use their web constructs to impede the players either by encasing the entity in the webs, blocking the player's line of fire for awhile. Make the Tholian ships more of a nueces, and factor of the stf would be nice.

There is also the fact of maybe making fleet actions some of the only methods of getting fleet curries, which could be nice to help those stf types get more players to pop into their ques. I will say that I like the idea of a stf rotation, which would rotate out one que for another que with a similar mark type on a weekly/bi-weekly standard period, as you would want to keep enouph ques that you can get your daily mark bonus via. This would have players que up into different an changing content, while also making sure that content gets used that was developed, compared to only the stfs with the best payouts getting played an the others being wasted.
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    So the OP doesn't like quick missions?

Let's replace it with Terran Invasion! That mission is time gated to 15+ minutes, so no 1-minute runs!

(disclaimer: the above statement is sarcasm, it is not meant to be interpreted as a serious suggestion.)

In all seriousness, some of the older queues could use an adjustment due to the continuing 'power creep'. But, I don't hold any expectations.

I'd suggest starting a private queue if you want a lengthy CC run.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    easy fix make the entity a massive HP sponge and ramp up its power make getting hit by the shockwave an insta death period, make fighting it a daunting task even in an easy stf.

the entity should be a seriously powerfull threat but with powercreep at insane levels its just a mild speed bump.

Actually...canonically...that's pure BS.

The fact that this thing is a queue at all is a head scratcher. The Crystalline Entity hasn't been a threat to a starship in over forty years. TNG: Silicon Avatar.

The Enterprise-D SOLO'D the original. The Mariah Kila Marr doff we got for the first revamped Crystalline Entity Event is named after the scientist who killed the thing with a resonant graviton pulse. The very act of fighting it with torpedoes and energy weapons is ludicrous when literally the only thing you need to do is tuning fork its @ss into oblivion. A tier 4 Galaxy should be able to solo with zero difficulty. The only actual challenge should be getting the Tholians off your fantail long enough to give it the soprano champagne glass treatment. Actually on that note, anything that could do that to the Entity could do the same to every Tholian within range. Or at least seriously rattle their joints.

Those were the days.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    I'd be careful about asking changes to the Advanced version of Crystalline Catastrophe. Only a handful of players really make it a "travesty". Most of the sub one-minute runs I am in have 1 or 2 players doing 90% (or even more) of all the damage to the entity. The other 8-9 players hardly make a contribution.

I'd rather have an Elite version brought out, one with a heavily buffed set of NPCs and only 5 players in the run.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Why not just improve the rewards for the Fleet Queues instead?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

Then Geko happened. And the Upgrade System; and greed. Then the queues went empty. :(
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    It could use an elite version to be honest. Where the Tholians are actually an objective and the entity doesn't just sit there getting ganked.

But why is it any opinion voiced on these forums is shouted down as whining. The OP does have a good point that the mission is way too easy and way too fast and also that rewards for the fleet events is shockingly bad. I mean it's plain daft that you could run through the whole nukara rep without actually killing or fighting a Tholian (because in CCA you can totally ignore them!). Plus it's ridiculous that people don't seem able to accept that a 30sec-1min vape run masquerading as end game content is pretty poor going for any game.
    I like running the queues that are fast every now and then to fill some spare time, but I'm under no impression that this queue in particular is up to the standard of a lot of the newer ones.

I'd say add in elite version and aim to revamp it in the long run to bring f it's quality up to a better standard, like that set by Gravity Kills etc.
    Same goes for the Borg runs as well. They are way behind the new stuff in terms of quality these days.
    SulMatuul.png
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User

Translation: People play it all the time so lets remove it.

Yeah.. No.

Exactly ^

i cant understand how someone can look at a busy queue within a game, a game that has many dead queues, and conclude that the best thing for it, is to remove said queue except for 'events'

once upon a time a pastry chef sat smiling to himself... 'wow, these piped biscuits sell right out the oven, folks almost have them eaten before they leave the bakers, and the queue is practically never ending, hmm.. its a real shame that all my baked goods don't sell as well, so maybe i should stop baking the piped biscuits.. you know, accept for special occasions'

if that ^ baker had half a brain, the other half would be eternally lonely

deary deary me..​​
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • tiberious#6095 tiberious Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    OP, considering how long it takes just to get queued up and running on the PS4 as it generally takes several attempts to get 5 people to accept the queue, I hope this works the way you say when it comes to the PS4 on February 14th. Would be nice to have a queue that is readily available to earn fleet marks. Then instead of taking a half hour or more just waiting for one queue to trigger, I might get two in within the same timeframe.

If anything, the whole queue system needs to be revamped since it is generally dead if you can't make it during peak STO gaming hours on the PS4. Even at peak gaming hours, it is hard to play most queue missions. Out of all the missions available, roughly the same three to five missions are played over and over. Most of the rest are generally dead. Makes it hard for the average player that can't play during those hours to earn both marks and elite marks plus it gets boring playing the same few missions over and over.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The only thing wrong with CC is no Elite version.

That the entire queue reward structure is designed to overwhelmingly favor spamming whatever's the easiest and fastest to finish is not CCA's fault, and removing CCA would just make everyone spam the next best thing.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I used to fly out of weapon range when the entity did it's explody thing. People just started sitting right through it and blasting away. Now I'm flying around the entity doing the same thing during the explosions because of the DPS race to get the top three rewards.

Removing the whole STF is wrong, it needs updated so players are forced to retreat when the entity does it's thing instead of burning it down while staying in the blast.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »
    I used to fly out of weapon range when the entity did it's explody thing. People just started sitting right through it and blasting away. Now I'm flying around the entity doing the same thing during the explosions because of the DPS race to get the top three rewards.

Removing the whole STF is wrong, it needs updated so players are forced to retreat when the entity does it's thing instead of burning it down while staying in the blast.

like i mentioned in another post on this thrad make the shockwave an insta death thing either you retreat or die.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Bring back the Gekli Feeding Grounds, DS9 under Siege, and the NWS queues! No more removals! Make STO great again!

^
    Say no to queue removals. On another note, wink wink, if someone from the accolades crowd sees this..... You know who you are and what I want.