test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

only one new episode?

wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
Okay. For some reason I thought we were getting a series of episodes to play. Are they going to do like last time: 1 episode per month? Just enough to get someone somewhat interested and then cause them to drift-off, bored with lack of content?

I can see they are going to do a series of 'prize unlocks' for the episode out now, but wth?! Who cares if they get a thingamajig when what they want is to see "What Happens Next!"

Sheesh.

Looks like I can Quit STO until they bother to do something again on February 2nd. Then play it one time. Quit again until the next time they bother to add something a week later...

Hell, it might be better to stop playing altogether and just come back next January, so I'll actually have something to do. Of course, if everyone did that, they'd close up shop and the game would be gone.

:|

Comments

• Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Where's that thread where the other guy complained about releasing all the AoY missions all at once instead of spacing them out to about once a month?
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Looks like they can't please everyone so they're trying to please the bigger crowd. I guess.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Where's that thread where the other guy complained about releasing all the AoY missions all at once instead of spacing them out to about once a month?
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1226091/what-is-with-the-massive-lack-of-content-this-year/p1

Here it is. Looks like no matter what they do, some random player will always complain.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1226091/what-is-with-the-massive-lack-of-content-this-year/p1

Here it is. Looks like no matter what they do, some random player will always complain.

Every time. Release all eps at the same time, someone complains. Release them one at a time, someone else complains

Six of one, half dozen of the other. Darned if you do and darned if you don't, etc.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Just because "someone will always complain about anything" does not mean there are no valid complaints.

No game is perfect, so let's not pretend this game is any exception, or that "someone will always complain" is any kind of counter-argument against someone's issue.
    The fix to the OP's problem seems to be clear then. Players should be required to opt into one of two options. Either opt into the "monthly episode" release option or the "Annual January 1st all at once" option. Story content would be released to your account based on your selection. That way, everyone is happy.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Well, her first mistake was in thinking she was getting more than she got. Whatever her reason was for thinking it, it was wrong. As for the rewards being weekly unlocks, they've been doing that for years, every FE.

When we would tell my dad "But I thought..." He would usually say "That's what you get for thinking."

There's nothing different going on this Anniversary/FE that hasn't been done in previous Anniversaries.

As for quitting cause they aren't doing things her way? *Shrug* Bye.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    That third option isn't viable. In case you didn't notice, this isn't a television show. They won't be releasing 25ish story missions per year, given the other content that's constantly in development. Plus, do you really think that there wouldn't be people complaining about the 27 weeks of no new story missions?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Just because "someone will always complain about anything" does not mean there are no valid complaints.

No game is perfect, so let's not pretend this game is any exception, or that "someone will always complain" is any kind of counter-argument against someone's issue.
    The fix to the OP's problem seems to be clear then. Players should be required to opt into one of two options. Either opt into the "monthly episode" release option or the "Annual January 1st all at once" option. Story content would be released to your account based on your selection. That way, everyone is happy.

There's a third option, you know. Television typically releases content in a season format with a batch of new episodes released once per week until they run out, then there's reruns to pad out the time while they're still making more, and then when the new season batch is done they release new ones again.

The problem is they gave us new stfs and a battlezone (which took up a lot of their time) and only one story episode. Sure those other things give some replay value, but what many of us play this for is the Star Trek experience of getting story content the way the TV shows used to do. There is no other source of Star Trek story content out there right now, we're rather thirsty for it.​​

What they said. ^

This is the set up that works best. I was just fussing, since I recall them saying something about more content last December and here is the second week, but no content. I do remember someone complaining about going through stuff too fast, as someone above mentioned. Simple point is, you play the game at your own pace. If there's nothing to do, you don't end up playing = loss of players. If the only change they ever do is the weekly bonus to a single prize, it never seems to work. Large groups playing at the start of said content only to dwindle down to almost no one online the day before the next release.

at this point, I'm not fussing, just stating facts. I just thought there'd be more today. Stupid probably on my end. They even did a big vid interview about the whole additions. I must have simply missed the part where they said you had to wait 30 days to play for 30 minutes or something. :/
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Well... bye

not leaving. was... out of sorts after login.
  • Options
    echatty wrote: »
    Well, her first mistake was in thinking she was getting more than she got. Whatever her reason was for thinking it, it was wrong. As for the rewards being weekly unlocks, they've been doing that for years, every FE.

When we would tell my dad "But I thought..." He would usually say "That's what you get for thinking."

There's nothing different going on this Anniversary/FE that hasn't been done in previous Anniversaries.

As for quitting cause they aren't doing things her way? *Shrug* Bye.

not quitting. was expression.

and yes, it was an error apparently, thinking they were adding something this week.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

I basically do that anyway, play all the new missions, stop playing (except to buy new things I'm interested in), come back in 6-12 months and do it again
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    Okay. For some reason I thought we were getting a series of episodes to play. Are they going to do like last time: 1 episode per month? Just enough to get someone somewhat interested and then cause them to drift-off, bored with lack of content?

I can see they are going to do a series of 'prize unlocks' for the episode out now, but wth?! Who cares if they get a thingamajig when what they want is to see "What Happens Next!"

Sheesh.

Looks like I can Quit STO until they bother to do something again on February 2nd. Then play it one time. Quit again until the next time they bother to add something a week later...

Hell, it might be better to stop playing altogether and just come back next January, so I'll actually have something to do. Of course, if everyone did that, they'd close up shop and the game would be gone.

Yes, this is the new standard (actually old by now) in which the same episode provides multiple FE rewards over several weeks and the FE prize box each week. This action gives the devs time to work on the next episode without rushing and making poor quality productions (which was the problem with the way you preferred). This also allows the story arc to run over a season. Now easier way to deal with this is to enjoy the episode and then occupy your time with other thing until the next episode.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

Sheesh.

This is really nothing new with the seasonal releases as of late. However, let me take you back through a history of seasonal (not Expansion updates) but seasonal updates since I've been playing.

Season 5 (aka the f2p transition season): We got the 2800 series which gave us 5 episodes for that season.
    Season 6 (aka the fleet update): We got virtually little story apart from what they gave us with Nukara Prime.
    Season 7: We got some story content in the form of the New Romulus reputation (which of course they retroactively added to the actual storyline recently). They also introduced us to the Solanae Dyson Sphere in this season.
    Season 8: In addition to giving us "Sphere of Influence" in its proper arc, we were given "A Step between stars" for the anniversary.
    Season 9: Surface Tension & the four Borg Advance revamp missions made up everything we got for this season.
    Season 10: As you may be aware, we got 2 episodes at the start, and the remaining 5 episodes throughout the season made up what we got for story.
    Season 11: "Sunrise," "Stormbound," "Time and Tide," and "Temporal Front" made up the episodes along with the Cardassian struggle revamp (if you wish to count those as new), giving us essentially more episodes than season 10. We started with one actual new episode at the start and the rest were given every 2-3 months.

As it stands now, we're likely to see the same pattern. There's obviously more to come, especially with the revelation that the captain of the Tzenkethi ship Steadfast doesn't agree with killing pre-warp civilizations.

There's a third option, you know. Television typically releases content in a season format with a batch of new episodes released once per week until they run out, then there's reruns to pad out the time while they're still making more, and then when the new season batch is done they release new ones again.

The problem is they gave us new stfs and a battlezone (which took up a lot of their time) and only one story episode. Sure those other things give some replay value, but what many of us play this for is the Star Trek experience of getting story content the way the TV shows used to do. There is no other source of Star Trek story content out there right now, we're rather thirsty for it.​​

The STFs and battlezone probably took up a bit of time, but you also have to look at what they were doing as well during this time:

They said they started doing primary planning for season 12 around the time of the anniversary, based on the live stream on Friday. They continued planning following the release of Season 11.5 and they started actually putting the season together in September.

-The environmental artists had to make the new sector map, the new queued missions, the maps for the episode and the battlezone.

-The character & concept artists had the task of coming up with the look of the Tzenkethi, and modeling them for the game.

-The ship artists obviously had to work on the Lukari ship, and the various Tzenkethi ships.

-The content designers had to come up with the story and the script for the various stuff that needed the script.

-The systems designers had to set up the new reputation and the R&D crafting school.

This is of course in addition to anything else they have going, such as planning for 2018 and work on what's coming for the inevitable season 12.5 update. Remember they had to go on a few lines of dialog and an interview from a writer from DS9. It's a lot less than what they usually have (usually a full appearance in canon).

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Idc tbh if we get a mission a month so be it plenty of other things to do, STFs dil grinds annoying random people ...sometimes doing random things to creep people out on ESD ..so plenty to do lol
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Sheesh.

This is really nothing new with the seasonal releases as of late. However, let me take you back through a history of seasonal (not Expansion updates) but seasonal updates since I've been playing.

Season 5 (aka the f2p transition season): We got the 2800 series which gave us 5 episodes for that season.
    Season 6 (aka the fleet update): We got virtually little story apart from what they gave us with Nukara Prime.
    Season 7: We got some story content in the form of the New Romulus reputation (which of course they retroactively added to the actual storyline recently). They also introduced us to the Solanae Dyson Sphere in this season.
    Season 8: In addition to giving us "Sphere of Influence" in its proper arc, we were given "A Step between stars" for the anniversary.
    Season 9: Surface Tension & the four Borg Advance revamp missions made up everything we got for this season.
    Season 10: As you may be aware, we got 2 episodes at the start, and the remaining 5 episodes throughout the season made up what we got for story.
    Season 11: "Sunrise," "Stormbound," "Time and Tide," and "Temporal Front" made up the episodes along with the Cardassian struggle revamp (if you wish to count those as new), giving us essentially more episodes than season 10. We started with one actual new episode at the start and the rest were given every 2-3 months.

As it stands now, we're likely to see the same pattern. There's obviously more to come, especially with the revelation that the captain of the Tzenkethi ship Steadfast doesn't agree with killing pre-warp civilizations.

The STFs and battlezone probably took up a bit of time, but you also have to look at what they were doing as well during this time:

They said they started doing primary planning for season 12 around the time of the anniversary, based on the live stream on Friday. They continued planning following the release of Season 11.5 and they started actually putting the season together in September.

-The environmental artists had to make the new sector map, the new queued missions, the maps for the episode and the battlezone.

-The character & concept artists had the task of coming up with the look of the Tzenkethi, and modeling them for the game.

-The ship artists obviously had to work on the Lukari ship, and the various Tzenkethi ships.

-The content designers had to come up with the story and the script for the various stuff that needed the script.

-The systems designers had to set up the new reputation and the R&D crafting school.

This is of course in addition to anything else they have going, such as planning for 2018 and work on what's coming for the inevitable season 12.5 update. Remember they had to go on a few lines of dialog and an interview from a writer from DS9. It's a lot less than what they usually have (usually a full appearance in canon).

true. It's just that normal standard practice is to have the majority design work somewhat together before any hints of additions are ever made. but as short as an episode often ends up being, I sometimes have to wonder. I see the work on various things, but the episodes are too short most of the time. I know this was the average at the time STO first came out, but most side-quests on current games last a lot longer than these. It's really just the same thing that has bugged me about STO since the beginning, the lack of depth with the missions. don't know how to explain it. :/
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Given a choice, I prefer the release method of DR and AOY where we get a massive content dump all at once. I don't personally like the '1 mission a month' plan, but overall I'm just happy that a 7 year old game is still receiving regular content update.

Besides, most of my time has been spent farming Omega Molecules either way. :)
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

For somebody who measures new content only by the release of featured episodes this sounds like a good plan to me. :#
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    I agree, I wish they would release a set of episodes like they did with the romulan and delta mission. That was fun to have a set of episodes you could run in your own pace. Having one episode per month is boring.
  • Options

For somebody who measures new content only by the release of featured episodes this sounds like a good plan to me. :#

Well, I do the PVE as well and anything else they add, I try to play with for a while. was just discussing the 1month an episode thing.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited January 2017

Well, I do the PVE as well and anything else they add, I try to play with for a while. was just discussing the 1month an episode thing.

Think there is just a massive imbalance between the effort it takes them to produce new episodes compared to how long it takes for us to consume them. The quality got better and better over the years in that department. At least this way FE have really become something to look forward to even if it is just once a moth or so. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,344 Arc User
    I don't see how on top of the some 120 episodes per faction (yes some are the same across the factions), a multitude of locations, a couple dozen STF's, Sector Alerts, as well as the Doff/Admiralty/R&D system constitutes a lack of content. There are also the events that happen through the year.

I have to laugh when the 'lack of content' comments appear considering this is a FREE game that has more content than the extreme vast majority of AAA games that you have to pay $70-80 before you can even play them. A game that is run, maintained and programmed by a team way smaller than alot of other software houses.

Get some perspective please!
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    @leemwatson, I think anyone else can explain what I meant by lack of content. Besides, this thread wasn't talking about the whole game, or even all the things that was released with this update - just the episode issue.

As for getting some perspective, it'd help if you were talking about the same subject. But since you're aren't really talking about the same thing, that's a different topic. I'm assuming you just saw those three words - "Lack of Content" - and went from that.

Content is more than just the sum of the parts, it's the depth of it, and 'depth of it' doesn't mean 'amount'. It can be the difference between a badly written script for a puppet show without any puppets verses a full-length feature film. It matters.

You can literally have a game with so much stuff to do in it that you will never find out what all there is to do, but that game may have absolutely zero content. All the shiny-pretty just dazzles people for a while before they begin to wonder what the point of those games really are. I could list several and they aren't worth playing. They're just empty shells. They have no depth.
    Post edited by wendysue53 on
  • Options
    I generally do the events and then pick a captain and maybe do the next part of the story arc. I don't burn through stuff as it comes out. I haven't completed the Idiot War on some captains and none have completed the time travel stuff.

And lately I've been unwell, so just keeping up with the events is about all I want to do ATM.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I see the point about the storyline getting lost a bit. This was one of the major issues leading to complaints when the Iconian war was on - too much time to get out of the feel, when players even asked to cancel the summer event because you can't be on a vacation during a war. (Not saying I support the latter thing). And I am somewhat tired of the "three rewards per episode so completionist, replay it on all your toons" shtick, although apparently it works.

I still prefer a somewhat regular expansion to a "dump it all off" (which would usually be at the end of said season, when everything has gotten its final touches), but that's a personal preference.

However, in this special instance, the FE is tied in with the anniversary event (400 thingamajigs), so it makes sense to keep it up during the event.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    mephizton2092mephizton2092 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Lukari rep, FE, New ship farm, doing regular stuff. New ques which takes more then just pew-pew-pew-pew-done.
    (screaming angry at your screen cause you joined a pugg with the pew-pew-only-player)
    We just had winter event, and before that AoY, can i get a bit of air first?
    My Romulan didnt get enough attention it deserved last few months ;)
    "Reports of our depression are vastly exaggerated."
    "Anyaway, we don't often see a sense of humor in Section 31."
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    FYI, stamping your feet and threatening to quit if you don't get your way might be "just an expression" that you use at work every day ;) but it's also not allowed in these forums.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    FYI, stamping your feet and threatening to quit if you don't get your way might be "just an expression" that you use at work every day ;) but it's also not allowed in these forums.

Why is everyone thinking I'm 'stomping my feet' in this thread? I wasn't. Nor did I threaten to quit. The whole quit/return/quit/return thing was an example that just seems to have gone across badly. :(