test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Stop using male voice actors for female characers & vice-versa

theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
Really, please. Stop that. No voice is better than that.

Yesterday for a looong time I replayed the devidian arc. In the mission that plays on 23rd century federation Drozana one of the securitys you can opt to evade for the feat tells the player to stop in a deep manly voice while being clearly female.

Had that a year or so ago on Kobali ground zone with one of the Kobali on the later stages. Not sure if he/she/it is fixed yet.

Comments

• Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    What, you think cross dressers and trans sexuals don't exist in the STO time line ?
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Why, because it interferes with your engraved sexual expectations?

Though to be fair, it probably is a mistakenly set NPC actor in the first place, however I don't see the need to fix it, especially in a world of Star Trek. It's not that some critical voice is misplaced, like Denise Crosby suddenly voicing Tom Paris or anything like that. Certainly not enough to demand to "stop using male voice actors for female characters".​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,466 Arc User
    Really, please. Stop that. No voice is better than that.

Yesterday for a looong time I replayed the devidian arc. In the mission that plays on 23rd century federation Drozana one of the securitys you can opt to evade for the feat tells the player to stop in a deep manly voice while being clearly female.

Had that a year or so ago on Kobali ground zone with one of the Kobali on the later stages. Not sure if he/she/it is fixed yet.

I agree with you about that, I one time pointed out that bug where the voice did not correspond to the character. It was not a swipe against the voice actor but I knew it was not right. Did you report this in the Bug Reports section and send a ticket to Cryptic about it? I did about the Kobali bug and I have gone there and unless they fixed it, there is no voice for that character for now. Thanks for caring about this issue. :)

Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    That sounds more like a model mixup, rather than a voice actor problem.
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    claudiusdk wrote: »
    That sounds more like a model mixup, rather than a voice actor problem.

Don't know of the Kobali (don't even know if he/shes still missmatched) but the Drozana Security was always a woman; was usually not voiced IIRC. But shes not some VIP critical NPC so yeah, most economic sane would be to replace her with a him or give the whole dialogue window to one of the guard guys standing next to her.
    sthe91 wrote: »

I agree with you about that, I one time pointed out that bug where the voice did not correspond to the character. It was not a swipe against the voice actor but I knew it was not right. Did you report this in the Bug Reports section and send a ticket to Cryptic about it? I did about the Kobali bug and I have gone there and unless they fixed it, there is no voice for that character for now. Thanks for caring about this issue. :)

'course not. VA did a great job.

Last time I did they deleted exploration from the game :p

I'll consider it next time I do it; since screen and location data are transmitted it'll do no good at some other location/time/another char.