test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

T6 TEMPORAL LIGHT CRUISER (CONSTITUTION CLASS)

Comments

• drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Items from the R&D promo boxes is nigh worthless thanks to admiralty. And you are assuming the 16 mil as the base price of the promo boxes.

Far from true, the RP and TP buffs are quite significant in value. Even the simple R&D mats themselves add up to a nice penny.
    feiqa wrote: »
    You might be seeing more than you think. It can use any Connie variant pieces in any combination that I have seen. So some Exeters etc may well be the T6 ship. Also the prize came with a strong mix of other ships you could claim. So number of Connies will be diluted by fans of the newer seasons buying the selection and grabbing an Annorax etc.

Unlikely with respect to the Connie variants- I keep an eye out for any of those. As to the other ships, perhaps. However I rather doubt it as I tend to notice them as well.

One of the interesting side effects of the infinity promo was actually to inflate the value of all those ships to that of the Connie.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Once again, the ships are selling for whatever they are selling for based on supply and demand. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The idea that you can argue about what it costs to produce one and come up with the idea that it's overpriced is silly and baseless. Those of you who are doing this are conveniently forgetting that the majority of winners are keeping their ships for themselves. This reduces supply and pushes the price up higher than your "expected cost" would be to produce a promo ship.

The price is also higher due to the nature of the infinity promo pack. If it were just another Sheshar or Bugship only promo, you would see them hit the exchange like they used to since there would be less demand for those older ships and there would be fewer choices for the winners split their supply between.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Once again, the ships are selling for whatever they are selling for based on supply and demand. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The idea that you can argue about what it costs to produce one and come up with the idea that it's overpriced is silly and baseless. Those of you who are doing this are conveniently forgetting that the majority of winners are keeping their ships for themselves. This reduces supply and pushes the price up higher than your "expected cost" would be to produce a promo ship.

The price is also higher due to the nature of the infinity promo pack. If it were just another Sheshar or Bugship only promo, you would see them hit the exchange like they used to since there would be less demand for those older ships and there would be fewer choices for the winners split their supply between.

All true. I'm simply pointing out that the prices are not gouging even without taking that into account. A price north of 1 billion is reasonable based solely on the cost to "produce" one ship and sell off 100 packs of new-worthless mats with a few worthwhile catalysts and accelerators.

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Question: "Geez, Bill Gates has so much money! What did HE do to deserve it?" Answer: A lot, over decades.

you mean monopolizing in the case of gates.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    This has been explained to you over and over, but one more try:

R&D packs cost 250 zen. On average you must open 100 packs to get the ship. 250 x 100 = 25,000 zen. That is the cost that those "scalpers" pay. If Cryptic has an R&D sale during the promo (they did not this time) then they can lower the cost to "only" 20,000 zen.

Except you're ignoring the value of everything else in the R&D pack in your math- which ends up being free and clear profit for the professional box openers.

In fact given that the R&D boxes are priced at 250 just for those materials most of the year, one could view their income for the ship itself as what it is- 'a free promotion'- so it's all pure profit for them and their break even comes from the mats.

Beyond that- I still wonder who's buying these ships. I don't see many of them in the game even after two promotion runs, which makes me think that the only buyers are 'investors' who think the price will go up. Nor do I see them even being offered in public chat as much as they were during the first promotion. The main use of the promo ships now seems to be as credit storage to get around the cap.

Exactly. The items from materials from the R&D box is like the prize in the bottom of a cereal or cracker jack box...you came out even from that...the ship is pure, 100% profit....way more than 100%. It's like the old Hollywood Squares from the late 1980's, where you win the game, getting the matching key for the car you wanna try for is pure luck. No is buying them because the average player does not have the EC to meet the crazy prices, and the folks with 'em, they are buying between each other, and each time the packs trade hands, the owners jack the prices to cover their purchase, and now it's all messed up like some sort of Wall Street wannabe, or gold trade....or those day traders. Those who I know who got them 95% of the time got 'em due to friends in game getting a few and either offered them for a much more reasonable price, or just gave them to them. I seen quite a few the past few weeks, especially in the Excalibur skin. I got mine in the TOS/Exeter mix.

Still not correct.

The fact that boxes are priced at 250 in the zen store even without ships does not mean that the ship sellers have any use for 1,000 "plain" R&D packs, or that they can sell them for a good price in the exchange.

With Admiralty the supply of R&D mats has grown much larger, and those who do not craft dump them on the exchange.

Also, you're ignoring the work needed to sell 1,000 boxes. Yes, the sellers do make a profit but they work for it and calling them scalpers or gougers or whatever ignores the work, risk and large up-front costs that they pay to get space rich.

Question: "Geez, Bill Gates has so much money! What did HE do to deserve it?" Answer: A lot, over decades.

in the case of gates, monopolizing.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    No one can be surprised a Star Trek fan is offended by the very concept of money instead of all desirable goods just being blurped out of a replicator at will ;). The fantasy is very immersive for some, I guess.

Never mind those comic book folk she speaks so highly of spent real money (in most cases) to put those ships into the game at all, and that prices are dictated by the poor "robbed" BUYERS. Who clearly have the billion+ Ec mudcoin to offer... or sales wouldn't be taking place.

TOS era fans shouldn't be offended as in TOS "Federation Credits" (aka money/currency) was alive and well and mentioned in many a TOS episode. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    No one can be surprised a Star Trek fan is offended by the very concept of money instead of all desirable goods just being blurped out of a replicator at will ;). The fantasy is very immersive for some, I guess.

Never mind those comic book folk she speaks so highly of spent real money (in most cases) to put those ships into the game at all, and that prices are dictated by the poor "robbed" BUYERS. Who clearly have the billion+ Ec mudcoin to offer... or sales wouldn't be taking place.

TOS era fans shouldn't be offended as in TOS "Federation Credits" (aka money/currency) was alive and well and mentioned in many a TOS episode. ;)

Not saying you are wrong. But can you name one or two please? I do not recall them. Though I have three examples of money being inferred. Trouble with Tribbles where the bartender expected to be paid. Mudd's women where they implied dilithium miners are wealthy men for obtaining a vital resource. Errand of Mercy asking how much Starfleet had spent on Spock's training.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Get ready to get your in game bank robbed if you plan to get one. >_>;;

Especially whenever T7 comes. Then that billion+ EC ship will just be collecting dust in dry dock. :/

I dunno about that now. T5U ships are competitive enough.

Nevermind T5U...I still use plain old T5 ships still...or even T1 ship...because that is good enough for normal.

Yeah, good point. I still fly a T5 ship on my KDF character.

Boy this thread really took a turn for the worse though.

The T6 Temporal Light Cruiser is very rare, very expensive. However:

1- We've seen this before. The JHAS used to be very rare, and very expensive back in the day.
    2- We've already seen the R&D promo offered again since The T6 Connie first debuted.
    Which means
    3- Over time the price will slowly and gradually lower.

So if you really really want it, you can figure out a way to pay its premium price right now. Or you can be patient and wait. Granted it could be a few years. But wait it out. And you'll eventually be able to get it.

So please folks, just chill. The biggest hurdle (ie, "CBS said no") is overcome. The rest is just time and money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User

Especially whenever T7 comes. Then that billion+ EC ship will just be collecting dust in dry dock. :/

I dunno about that now. T5U ships are competitive enough.

Nevermind T5U...I still use plain old T5 ships still...or even T1 ship...because that is good enough for normal.

Yeah, good point. I still fly a T5 ship on my KDF character.

Boy this thread really took a turn for the worse though.

The T6 Temporal Light Cruiser is very rare, very expensive. However:

1- We've seen this before. The JHAS used to be very rare, and very expensive back in the day.
    2- We've already seen the R&D promo offered again since The T6 Connie first debuted.
    Which means
    3- Over time the price will slowly and gradually lower.

So if you really really want it, you can figure out a way to pay its premium price right now. Or you can be patient and wait. Granted it could be a few years. But wait it out. And you'll eventually be able to get it.

So please folks, just chill. The biggest hurdle (ie, "CBS said no") is overcome. The rest is just time and money.

A lot of money this go around. Personally over $300. But I do like the one token and pick the ship you want. As opposed to the old lock box of stuff, stuff, Ship! Oh wait common. . . .

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • hmkchmkc Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    I think smokebailey has a point. You can cite "supply and demand" all you like, and I'll point out something else. It's called a speculator bubble. I think the lack of them seen in game is pretty strong evidence that people aren't using these for their intended purpose (aka playing them) but instead as some misguided attempt at an investment. In a speculator bubble, demand is artificially inflated by the idea that the price will continue to increase, hoarders and investors buy them with the intention of selling later for profit, and the market is distorted. It becomes incestuous and cannibalistic, and there inevitably comes a point where you have a bunch of sellers looking to cash in and no buyers because everyone left in the market has them to sell as well with the same idea of making money off of it. Those looking to liquidate their investment discover that they can't, the bubble bursts, and the investors are stuck with merchandise they can't move at all or that they can't sell for anywhere near what they put into it.

This has all the signs of such a bubble. The players who want this ship for it's actual intended purpose have been priced out of the market and the only people buying and selling this thing are investors / speculators who are buying with intent to sell. Speculators alone cannot form a functioning customer base, the people who would buy them to use them have dropped out of the market. Those who continue to trade them are just swapping them among themselves at ever increasing prices, and that is unsustainable. When they try to cash in, they'll find they can't. The bubble will burst, and those holding them will find they cannot move them without taking a significant loss.

Have fun with that. I'll wait for mine until the price comes down to a sane level. And I'll fly the damned thing, because it's a game piece meant to be used to play the game with. And the tears of the speculators will be delicious.​​

And that is the very true and very sad part out of all of this making this The - T6 Constitution TO$ Ship - into a high stakes Lottery instead of a Direct Sales approach so that the people who wanted one, could have had one at market price instead of buying a ticket (R&D_lockbox) and "Wishing and Hoping" to win....all to create sales and move additional products.
    Kirk out!
    edited January 2017
    The more you know!

Edit- never mind. Misread one of your numbers. Your numbers aren't close to valid after all. Your numbers for Lobi re so wrong that you clearly didn't check your post for accuracy.

Want to try again?

And this time please don't do prices for unopened boxes to determine average value of contents excepting the ship. Do the individual contents.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I'd love to have one of these and a D7 for my KDF to play the game through any tier. They're just classic ships but between CBS and Cryptic it's not going to happen given the way they implemented them. Takes a lot of the fun out of STO really cause those are the ships I grew up with.

This big time.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
    edited January 2017
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Lol, Druk's numbers on stuff like this are always accurate

Really, so you can get 10000 Lobi from 100 boxes? I want in on that action because they are certainly worth more the 300 million he listed.

He's also not really pricing content of the boxes- just the boxes themselves. That's not how it works- the boxes have to be opened to sell the ship inside, this the opener's return on investing is the selling price of all it's contents- not a per box price he gave. So price of buffs, mats, etc.

If Druk's number are accurate- he should be able to include all the details. He should also take into account that much of the promo boxes contents will be held without sale for when the prices raise a month or more after the promotion.

Lastly, if box sellers are actually losing 350 million per ship- they are to say the least... less than intelligent. So no, that's not what is happening. Druk's numbers are hiding reality, not revealing it.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    I think smokebailey has a point. You can cite "supply and demand" all you like, and I'll point out something else. It's called a speculator bubble. I think the lack of them seen in game is pretty strong evidence that people aren't using these for their intended purpose (aka playing them) but instead as some misguided attempt at an investment. In a speculator bubble, demand is artificially inflated by the idea that the price will continue to increase, hoarders and investors buy them with the intention of selling later for profit, and the market is distorted. It becomes incestuous and cannibalistic, and there inevitably comes a point where you have a bunch of sellers looking to cash in and no buyers because everyone left in the market has them to sell as well with the same idea of making money off of it. Those looking to liquidate their investment discover that they can't, the bubble bursts, and the investors are stuck with merchandise they can't move at all or that they can't sell for anywhere near what they put into it.

This has all the signs of such a bubble. The players who want this ship for it's actual intended purpose have been priced out of the market and the only people buying and selling this thing are investors / speculators who are buying with intent to sell. Speculators alone cannot form a functioning customer base, the people who would buy them to use them have dropped out of the market. Those who continue to trade them are just swapping them among themselves at ever increasing prices, and that is unsustainable. When they try to cash in, they'll find they can't. The bubble will burst, and those holding them will find they cannot move them without taking a significant loss.

Have fun with that. I'll wait for mine until the price comes down to a sane level. And I'll fly the damned thing, because it's a game piece meant to be used to play the game with. And the tears of the speculators will be delicious.​​

So I'm a comic artist. And I've been a collector since I was a very small kid. And I worked at a comic book shop in college. Two friends owned their own shops. My best friend managed one of those shops. And I even interned at Valiant Comics in the 1990s. It's an industry and a hobby I have some familiarity with. And the speculator bubble thing you mention is often ascribed to comic book collecting.

Let's look at two Superman comics as examples. Action Comics #1. Superman #75.
    Both are notable and have gained a lot of media attention.

One is extremely valuable, because of rarity. The other is not, because of rarity.

One is the textbook example of supply and demand. Action Comics #1 is the first appearance of Superman, the first appearance of the modern concept of the super hero, and the start of the super hero comic as a genre. So it is culturally significant. And there are estimates of maybe 100 in existence. Demand for such a comic is high, supply is low.

(And this is why so many Golden and Silver Age comics are collectible and retain as well as appreciate in value over the years. There just aren't enough of them in existence.)

But the other is the textbook example of speculators driving false value into a comic. Superman #75 had a massive print run and is readily available.

So yeah, I get the analogy.

The T6 Temporal Light Cruiser isn't really going to be a victim of speculation. Cryptic holds too much power in its rarity.

1- It's a very rare reward from the packs.
    2- It's value is beyond the cap on the exchange, making it harder to track down and make a transaction for.

That many of you keep noting you see practically none of these in-game, pushes this ship away from speculator bubble and more toward valuable collectible due to rarity.

When the bubble bursts, it will be when Cryptic does something to change its control over the ship. Which means in a few years it will be dated and power will have crept past it, and the novelty will have begun to wear off. You see, there's not millions of these sitting in someone's basement all still polybagged. There's a small trickle of them entering the economy at a price point only a few people are willing to pay for.

Hence my comparison to the JHAS. What changed for the bug ship to make its value decrease? It wasn't a burst of a speculator bubble. It was age, a new tier of ships that crept on its unique power value, re-release of its availability to put more in circulation, and a change in the EC cap.

Like I said, wait 3 to 6 years. The Temporal Light Cruiser will come down in price by then. Slowly, gradually. It won't be a bubble bursting.

BUT: All that being said, as one of the people that paid nearly a billion EC for his ... I sincerely hope that EVERYONE who wants one of these can and does get one. I got mine to fly. I paid a ton for it. I opened it. I love it. I can't even begin to tell you all how much I hope you too get to enjoy the game for yourselves the way I do now that I have one of these. I won't care if it devalues the ship I paid so much for. It is FUN, and I really really really want you all to have that kind of fun too.

So even if it is a bubble that bursts? I say, HELL YEAH! T6 Connies for EVERYONE!

Until then though, I still feel that given enough time, if one of you keeps at it you can get one of these. It's price is steep but at least it is actually IN the game now.

Good luck to you all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hmkchmkc Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    After reading such a finely crafted peace from songgymack22 (Which I completely agree with you man) what do we get?

We get:
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Nvm

Your post, azrael605, juxtaposed with snogy's made me laugh.

But on a serious note, snog has a point, one day, most people that wanted a t6 con will most likely have a t6 con. And if you want to take your chances with the RnD boxes, 10 lobi guaranteed isn't too bad. When ever this rolls around, I always by boxes for the sole purpose of getting lobi to add up to whatever it is I want from the lobi store. Sure it gets expensive, but generally I do not start from zero lobi.

Besides, if you really do open 100 RnD boxes and DON'T get a ship, you get 10k lobi, that's 10 lobi ships which equals lots of EC....

EDIT: hi guys, I miss my STO forum family, but university is as much of a time investment as a money investment. Happy late holidays, new year, STO anniversary and play nice.

I'd gladly give all my lobi - 2k worth for a t6 Con:)
    Kirk out!
    Besides, if you really do open 100 RnD boxes and DON'T get a ship, you get 10k lobi, that's 10 lobi ships which equals lots of EC....
    100 boxes x 10 lobi = 1000 lobi. Not 10,000 lobi.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    edited January 2017

This is all 100% wrong. The concept of investment bubbles and such isn't wrong but none of it applies here. I remember the initial announcement of the infinity promo pack bringing about the claims "ahahah, now your hoarded ships are worthless." And look what happened. The style of this promo drove ship prices up. Not hoarding, but the manner in which the promo has been implemented. See my earlier post for why.

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    As far as 'reality' goes I'm against top tier versions of T1 ships. Look at your average T6 ship. It's HUGE vs a T1 ship of same class. I don't see any way a T6 Connie can honestly compete against an T6 Galaxy at many times the mass. I don't care how advanced your rowboat is, it just can't mount the same amount of weapons as a frigate.

That being said... if someone offered me a T6 Connie at a reasonable price; I'll take it! :D