test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Shift + S = ticking me off...

anyone else having trouble with the stupid Arc pop-up they've switched shift+s to? Going to have to go in and change the setting again on this, but when I do a capital letter while typing - I don't really want to have to turn off a bunch of other garbage that covers the screen suddenly. Have to admit that I want to smack someone in the back of the head for this stupid move. :(

Comments

• Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    dang it! Just tried to remove this mess from my system and it. is. not. there!

shift+s doesn't show up listed anywhere in my options for keybinds, but it still pulls up the friggin Arc-TRIBBLE menu.
  • Options
    ok. must be one of the Arc overlays. will try rooting around that pile of junk.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Arc keybinds don't show in STO options at all.

For me the most annoying one is shift+tab. Well it's annoying in Champions.

I'm not sure where the shift+s keybind would be found though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    yeah, I've noticed this. Not only do they not show in-game, they don't let you see them in the Arc options menue either. (or I just can't locate them.)
  • Options
    And Shift + S if a very commonly used keybind for just typing. Even typing here, that stupid pop-up bounces up each time I use those keys.

REALLY want to smack someone in the back of the head.
    With my keyboard.
    Hard.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Just go to the directory where Star Trek Online is installed and run the game .exe from there.

You can run the game stand alone without even using Arc.

Problem solved.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    ARC Client -> gear icon in upper right corner (aka options) -> Streaming Beta - Set Activate Key

i set my key to F7, because nothing important in any cryptic game uses that​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    Great rule of thumb I used to think was obvious when doing game design: Never keybind to the Shift key.
  • Options
    nah... never keybind shift+letters. Shift+F keys works great!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    ARC Client -> gear icon in upper right corner (aka options) -> Streaming Beta - Set Activate Key

Thanks, 'Wolf'! :)
    Just go to the directory where Star Trek Online is installed and run the game .exe from there.

You can run the game stand alone without even using Arc.

Problem solved.

was going to say that using the STO game launcher also pulls up the Arc Client, but then realized you are talking about the actual game application (.exe). Guess that would work. May do that next time.
  • Options
    Problem Solved!

*saves the smacking in the back of the head for next time*

:)
  • Options
    generaltruin#2405 generaltruin Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    TBH whoever decided that Arc should be used for these games needs to be removed from history.
    I can't think with you reading my signature, plus in the amount of time you spent reading my signature you could've killed at least one enemy.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    TBH whoever decided that Arc should be used for these games needs to be removed from history.

It doesn't. You can run the game without Steam or Arc, if you so choose too..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    I can't help but flash back to Algebra when I read the thread title.

"So that means that Ticking me off - S = Shift."
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Yet another reason to never allow that Arc garbage anywhere near your machine.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I ran into this for the first time while chatting with my friend, last night. ANNOYING.

I was messing with that Task Manager and got shocked how much junk this ARC brings up when activated. :( "Streaming.exe" file comes up along with browsers and chat... And running STO brings up a few more thing for browser overlays. Needless to say: NOT HAPPY.

I have, finally, followed my friend's advice to just use the launcher to bring up STO only.
    I have unpinned ARC from my bar all together.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    Guys you don't have to run arc to play STO...

Go into the installation folder of STO and make a shortcut of the launcher to your desktop, bypass ARC...

Unless, you do like to run arc, that is.
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    dont use arc... problem solved
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User

Many thanks. Ran into the problem trying to dismiss a ship - you end up not able to type in U.S.S. without playing capslock games ;).

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    you don't need to; the dismissal screen isn't case-sensitive

as long as everything is in the right place, you'll be able to dismiss the ship​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I got this problem in Neverwinter. And I can't seem to figure out how to plat it without Acr, since I click the NW icon, and arc comes up, I try to exit Arc and it says I can't exist, because NW is in use. @_@;; Can anyone help with that?
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I got this problem in Neverwinter. And I can't seem to figure out how to plat it without Acr, since I click the NW icon, and arc comes up, I try to exit Arc and it says I can't exist, because NW is in use. @_@;; Can anyone help with that?

I've seen it do that with Star Trek too, but usually giving it an extra 30-60 seconds to fully shut down and mop up after itself clears the problem. If ARC gets really uppity I tend to summon the task manager panel, get ARC open on the screen, and then forcibly close it from the task manager - its death is both instantaneous and painless - you can have STO open in another window and it won't even blink that ARC just got consigned to the void/derrezed with extreme prejudice ;).

• Options
    arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    dont use arc... problem solved

Best advice you'll ever get.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I press 'Win-R' to Run
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online.exe" and press Enter. Obviously, your path may vary.

You only have to enter that once, after that just Win-R and the last command will show. You can also scroll through all past commands with Up and Down arrow keys.

I personally have never used the Arc client. I started playing STO through Steam, but found this way to run it without.
  • Options
    You're probably not clicking the exe then. It's probably a shortcut....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    someone in zone clued me in on a work around, when the arc thing popsup go into its options and click everything off and it stops popping up, my question is who in the hell thought live streaming was a good idea and furthermore who was the TRIBBLE who keybinded it to Shift + Letters .
  • Options
    yeah really. the game does actually use shift binds, but the game doesn't execute them while you're typing in a text box.

But Arc? No....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Whoever thought of binding Shift-S in chat is, as we say in Dutch, geschift (well, you gots to be Dutch to understand this wee pun; it literally means 'shifted', but in the deranged, lunatic sense of the word :P).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I wouldn't mind the Shift-S, if it only it was out of chat, rather than everytime the Shift is in combination of chat.

Spuk in Winterwonderland suggested using ctrl-p and ctrl-l because they are more out of the way, for accidental use. I'll try that out as soon as I get into the Arc Keybinds.

I'm amazed there isn't a thread about the Streaming feedback.