test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Next Major Expansion Location: Gamma Quadrant or Andromeda Galaxy?

Comments

• alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Gamma Quadrant
    As much as I'd like the idea of exploring a totally different galaxy altogether, I'd rather this vast galaxy itself be enriched instead, otherwise it's just spreading thin and making exploration of a different galaxy not very meaningful or as significant as it should be.

Imagine if the "shaka, when the walls fell" of sector space didn't happen, and Andromeda was introduced: It would be yet another claustrophobic set of squares with loading screens wherever you try 'exploring' with a ship capable of high speed.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • theotherscotty#9105 theotherscotty Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    Gamma Quadrant
    I'd like to see the Gamma Quadrant explored some more. The Andromeda Galaxy would be cool too.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Gamma Quadrant
    Alpha, Beta, and Gamma Quadrants. DS9 spent very little time actually exploring the Gamma Quadrant because its stories were focused differently. It's an opening to introduce new Dominion subject races and build on their reintroduction as an ally of convenience during the Iconian War, and it hopefully gets us away from more Gary Stuification of Temporal Genius Daniels. There's also plenty of empty space in the other two home Quadrants to fill in.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    just put 'star trek star charts' into any search engine, because that's what those maps are - and incidentally, are the same maps the STO devs use for planet positioning ingame​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    Andromeda Galaxy
    I agree that DS9 deserves the revamp that was all the hype a few years ago that never came to fruition. The reason I posted this thread is that BOTH the Gamma Quadrant and Andromeda are basically clean slates from game perspective. YES there was a lot of small stuff that happened in GQ from DS9 and such, but nothing that warrants an expansion. Andromeda WAS referenced as having SEVERAL gates going to it, and we do have the non-canon Andromedan race going back to board game and at least 2 computer games. So my point is that there is some reference point in both maps, but would generally be the chance for Cryptic to do something ON THEIR OWN, in the Star Trek FASHION.....but not worrying about paying legal fees and copyrights, which would theoretically allow them to spend more money paying devs and designers. Andromeda would allow this to a greater extent, which is why it gets my vote.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Gamma Quadrant
    @somtaawkhar: Easy solution to the empty space problem. MAKE UP NEW TRIBBLE. Since when is Star Trek internally about nostalgia and rehashing everything you've done before, instead of moving forward where no one has gone before?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Gamma Quadrant
    starswordc wrote: »
    @somtaawkhar: Easy solution to the empty space problem. MAKE UP NEW ****. Since when is Star Trek internally about nostalgia and rehashing everything you've done before, instead of moving forward where no one has gone before?

Since it's gone online and appeals to our nostalgia.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    if we go to andromeda captain hunt will kill us...

i think it will be gamma but probably only in 2018.
  • rancidmojo#7824 rancidmojo Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    Considering the ridiculously immense distance between galaxies, not to mention the size of our own galaxy, going to Andromeda would be jumping the shark.
  • captkelly31#5645 captkelly31 Member Posts: 392 Arc User
    Gamma Quadrant
    One way
    Considering the ridiculously immense distance between galaxies, not to mention the size of our own galaxy, going to Andromeda would be jumping the shark.

One way around that could be making a spin-off game, like Everquest did. Not recommending it though.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Andromeda Galaxy
    Seen me enough of the Gamma Quadrant (be it indirectly, story-wise). Like to see something new. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Gamma Quadrant
    One pint to bring up, but the Gamma quadrant should be next. We still have to find New Khitomer. Just for starters.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • necaradan666necaradan666 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    Andromeda Galaxy
    probably more content involving the Lukari as our new ally and the return of the tzenkethi
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Gamma Quadrant
    Definitely the Gamma Quadrant.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    Andromeda Galaxy
    Andromeda - Would love it if Cryptic could get permission to make up some orignal Species as this would give them complete creative freedom with the stories no need to tie it into something cannon.

I feel this will help them expand the game and do something fresh.
  • keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    Andromeda Galaxy
    reyan01 wrote: »
    kelador wrote: »
    Andromeda - Would love it if Cryptic could get permission to make up some orignal Species as this would give them complete creative freedom with the stories no need to tie it into something cannon.

I feel this will help them expand the game and do something fresh.

Whilst I agree, it is worth noting that they have done this, having very recently introduced us to the Lukari.

Yep good point forgot the Lukari so this means they can do a whole galaxy full of new species then :P
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Other - Explain
    Alpha & Beta

Expand on sectors near our home fronts.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Gamma Quadrant
    About the only reason I'd want to go to Andromeda would be to wipe out the Kelvans. If you think about it, wasn't it a Kelvan that caused JJ-Trek?

Also, isn't Melmac in Andromeda?
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    Other - Explain
    Enlarge Alpha Quad on the same size like Beta. Add two ground maps - Cardassia city & Ferenginar Market square with Tower of profit. Story arc based on Cardassian civil war ( return of Gul Dukat f.e.) and the new enemy race on the west borders of AQ map (mb that bad guys from new movie?) . So'na lock-box with at least one episode with them ( it looks they are important player in galaxy politics and they have advanced tech).
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Gamma Quadrant
    As much as I'd like to see the Andromeda Galaxy it just doesn't seem likely at this point.
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    Other - Explain
    Dukat is not dead. He is somewhere lost and i think Pah-wraiths can revive him. M.Leeta is only crazy TRIBBLE and you can't compare her with the best star trek villain as Dukat is. Yop, Breens and Tholians are there, but i want someone new. So'na are important, f.e. they were major producer of ketracel during Dominion war. They can build a ships of size plaet harvester, so there are much more So'na as we saw in the movie.
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    What I would like to see is a potential end to the "Captain, we do not have permission to warp into deep space." popup when you reach the edge of the map. Sure, if you're low level you should stick close to known space, but once you're up there as an admiral, you should be able to make the decision to go explore. That is the purpose of Starfleet, after all.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Gamma Quadrant
    GQ for sure- there's a ton of races there besides the Dominion after all! It's the obvious choice given we have access to the other 3 quadrants.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Gamma_Quadrant_species
    Post edited by sovereign010 on
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    Andromeda Galaxy
    What I would like to see is a potential end to the "Captain, we do not have permission to warp into deep space." popup when you reach the edge of the map. Sure, if you're low level you should stick close to known space, but once you're up there as an admiral, you should be able to make the decision to go explore. That is the purpose of Starfleet, after all.

This would be great. Even if it's just random encounters, as in when you hit the map edge you get the "Do you wish to explore deep space?" prompt and if you hit "yes" it randomly generates an encounter. I mean the ONE thing missing that was SOOOO Star Trek is various space critters and anomalies. Bring back a version of the old diplomatic missions and throw them in.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Gamma Quadrant
    there's plenty of space left to explore in our own galaxy.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Other - Explain
    The next expansion may be centered around either the Tzenkethi or a variation of the Typhon pact as that would make sense since were already headed for conflict with the tzenkethi, and there are still elements in the alpha and beta quads who have more then one bone to pick with the federation and its allies.