test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Another one of those "What is canon exactly?" threads...

nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
So we have canon as-seen in-the-shows Vulcans and (mostly, if not contradicted by the game itself) Diane Duane's Romulans...

But how much Duane's Vulcan lore still applies? Did Vulcan, for example, almost leave the Fed once, or is Vulcan "logic" being partly a result of the bug in universal translator* and partly Spock's peculiar interpretation of it? (and anything else I don't know can't remember right away.)

* the correct translation of the concept would be more like "pragmatism" or "objectivity," IIRC.

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Game canon? It follows CBS' canon (excluding TAS) and any EU content it wants. The key word being concepts. Not works, concepts. As for which ones specifically? A mixed bag from Captain Dax of the Aventine to bits and bats of the old Romulan and Vulcan stuff.
    Generally there's no way of telling which bits of the EU STO has taken and which it has dumped unless you come across it in-game or in a story blog.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    This is the org chart for Canon:

My Head Canon > Your Head Canon > Everyone else's Head Canon > Star Trek TV Shows > Star Trek Films with Shatner in them > Star Trek Films with Patrick Stewart in them > Memory Alpha > Cryptic's Path to 2409 Timeline > The Countdown Comic > Penguin Books > The Star Trek Encyclopedia > FASA > The Tech Manual > The OFFICIAL Star Trek Chronology > Memory Beta > Gold Key Comics > Some dude on the Internet's Blog > THESE Forums > JJ Abrams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ventureforthventureforth Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    I'm with Snoggymack on this one. Head Canon trumps all.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta - That doesn't mean you have to believe me.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,369 Arc User
    In Duane's novels, the "translation error" crept in during the transition from Old High Vulcan to Modern Vulcan, and resulted in the phrase which Surak used to mean "passion's mastery" becoming a phrase meaning "suppression of all emotion". Basically, all of modern Vulcan society got it wrong, according to her novels.

Novels are what's called "soft canon", meaning that later works can use them or not as pleases the individual writer. (Parts of the Rihannsu novels are adapted as canon for the game - for instance, there's one star named for a Rihannsu noble house in The Romulan Way - while others, like the House naming conventions where males take a tr' prefix to the House name while females take a t', are set aside, else everyone's least favorite Rom character would be named Tovan tr'Khev). "Hard canon", that which must be respected, consists of what was filmed for TV or movies, with the exceptions of the VOY episode "Threshold" and the ENT episode "These Are the Voyages", both of which are pretty universally acknowledged to suck out loud ("Threshold" was so bad that the VOY writers semi-officially struck it from canon later that season).

Later in-game canon is difficult to set, as the moment the game starts it becomes all about you and you could be any species, any gender, and respond to situations in any number of ways.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    jonsills wrote: »
    In Duane's novels, the "translation error" crept in during the transition from Old High Vulcan to Modern Vulcan, and resulted in the phrase which Surak used to mean "passion's mastery" becoming a phrase meaning "suppression of all emotion". Basically, all of modern Vulcan society got it wrong, according to her novels.
    I plead reading Duane's Trek novels long ago, mostly in translation (:D) and probably not all of them.

• Options
    edited November 2016

My Head Canon > Your Head Canon > Everyone else's Head Canon > Star Trek TV Shows > Star Trek Films with Shatner in them > Star Trek Films with Patrick Stewart in them > Memory Alpha > Cryptic's Path to 2409 Timeline > The Countdown Comic > Penguin Books > The Star Trek Encyclopedia > FASA > The Tech Manual > The OFFICIAL Star Trek Chronology > Memory Beta > Gold Key Comics > Some dude on the Internet's Blog > THESE Forums > JJ Abrams

Of course, this creates the issue of this list itself being an instance of fairly soft canon. But I agree with the general gist of it ;)
  • Options
    admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    I'm with Snoggymack on this one. Head Canon trumps all.

At the end of the day, it provides the most certainty, doesn't it? ;)

Qapla'!
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    'Canon' would be the shambling self-contradictory hodge-podge that mysteriously regards writers operating under savage deadline and often openly bereft of ideas then having their options run the twin meat grinders of network television standards and the constraints of TV budget special effects as being the only thing that matters in a larger constellation of about forty times as much written and illustrated storytelling.

I would pay good money, excellent money even if somebody as CBS would cowboy up and actually sift all the Star Trek material for some grand unified canon instead of a one sentence piece of dogma the mouthbreathers cling to because no matter how stupid the output, it's simple and doesn't require them to even know how to read.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    jonsills wrote: »
    "Threshold" was so bad that the VOY writers semi-officially struck it from canon later that season.​​

No they didn't. No matter how many times people claim it it was never even slightly expunged.

[Part of the post breaking Forum policies modded out]
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Star Trek canon means all Star Trek TV shows and movies, so everything "on film". This is it, as stated by CBS head of licensing Paula Block in 2007:
    “Canon” in the sense that I use it is a very important tool. It only gets muddled when people try to incorporate licensed products into “canon”—and I know a lot of the fans really like to do that. Sorry, guys—not trying to rain on your parade. There’s a lot of bickering about it among fans, but in its purest sense, it’s really pretty simple: Canon is Star Trek continuity as presented on TV and Movie screens. Licensed products like books and comics aren’t part of that continuity, so they aren’t canon. And that’s that. Part of my job in licensing is to keep track of TV and Movie continuity, so I can help direct licensees in their creation of licensed products. It gets a little tricky because it’s constantly evolving, and over the years, Star Trek’s various producers and scriptwriters haven’t always kept track of/remembered/cared about what’s come before. Source: http://trekmovie.com/2007/07/22/dc-fontana-on-tas-canon-and-sybok/

This is the baseline all licensed works have to respect and the baseline discussion should as well.

Star Trek Online canon (STO) follows the rules for licensed works, meaning they have to respect the baseline of CBS set canon, but are free to include if the original authors agree or add original content however they want. It's best to ask Cryptic wether the novels in question are considered in-game lore, but technically only the parts explicitly referenced are STO "canon" for sure.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    PPL, please... I just asked a nerdy question in good faith... Some logic and mastery of emotions would be appreciated.

• Options
    skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    cannons are weapons on.. ohhh canon
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Star Trek Online canon (STO) follows the rules for licensed works, meaning they have to respect the baseline of CBS set canon, but are free to include if the original authors agree or add original content however they want. It's best to ask Cryptic wether the novels in question are considered in-game lore, but technically only the parts explicitly referenced are STO "canon" for sure.​​

So, basically if it isn't in the game but doesn't contradict any CBS canon or anything in the game already either, it's not in-game canon but it might be someday?
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    nebfab wrote: »
    So, basically if it isn't in the game but doesn't contradict any CBS canon or anything in the game already either, it's not in-game canon but it might be someday?

It might, but that's a "it might" like "health insurance might actually care about your health one day" pig-3.gif

Seriously though, I'd say this is where "headcanon" comes in - basically you fill your character's gaps as you see fit and if it isn't contradicting anything it might just be that way. For isntance, my Romulan character is for all intends and purposes actually a Garidian, a citizen of a Romulan client state featured in another Star Trek game, the point and click adventure "A Final Unity" by Spectrum Holobyte. There is no chance that will ever become STO lore, but since it doesn't ruin anything and I like that story arc I just "made it so" pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    'Canon' would be the shambling self-contradictory hodge-podge that mysteriously regards writers operating under savage deadline and often openly bereft of ideas then having their options run the twin meat grinders of network television standards and the constraints of TV budget special effects as being the only thing that matters in a larger constellation of about forty times as much written and illustrated storytelling.

I would pay good money, excellent money even if somebody as CBS would cowboy up and actually sift all the Star Trek material for some grand unified canon instead of a one sentence piece of dogma the mouthbreathers cling to because no matter how stupid the output, it's simple and doesn't require them to even know how to read.
    Software Standards:
    "What, we have x many standards for this? We need a real standard."
    "You're right, let's get on with it."
    *later*
    "What, we ahve x+1 many standards for this? We need a real standard."

I assume it would be the same with Star Trek. If someone really had the "ego" to build such a "True Canon", he'd probably be hated by many, and be later replaced by someone else that has "True True Canon" to offer, which will be hated by other people.

Of course, I understand the sentiment. Let's just reimagine Star Trek. We can start with Voyager, because it needs it most IMO. Great basic idea, interesting characters concepts, but partially terrible execution with lame reset buttons betraying its premise.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    PPL, please... I just asked a nerdy question in good faith... Some logic and mastery of emotions would be appreciated.

I answered in the very first post.

The second post of mine was directed towards a certain individual who appears to have run off to a mod to get my attack on them removed by who is apparently allowed to keep their own attacks up. Now if my post had a mods name directly next to it I could address them directly as to who only certain attacks are moderated and others aren't, but as it stands I can't.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    When it comes to canon, Star Trek is probably the worst of all franchises. Star Wars, for instance, mostly gets it right (they messed up the metichlorian stuff a bit, but hey). Trek, however, is simply horrible with canon -- up the point where it's almost non-existent. Max warp speed changes at a whim, uniforms and badges change with every movie. Seven's parents allegedly embarked on a research project to study the Borg; yet this happened years before Q introduces humanity to the Borg, ostensibly years ahead of schedule. Why, you get the point. The entire Trek franchise is simply too internally inconsistent to speak of true canon. It has Kirk, and Spock, and Klingons, and Romulans: that's pretty much it. :) The rest appears to be one huge variable, made up by whatever new film-maker that wants to have a go at it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    Whatever I say is canon....Voyager not canon....ok done
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Whatever I say is canon....Voyager not canon....ok done

GASP!! i thought of all people gul dukat would say "Bajorans are not and never will be canon, therefore we should wipe them from existence". :D
  • Options
    admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    None of it is canon enough ! Bwah hah hah ! ;)

Qapla'!
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    speak of true canon.

My org chart clearly defines "true" canon.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

Of course, this creates the issue of this list itself being an instance of fairly soft canon. But I agree with the general gist of it ;)

True. Very true.

Or ... is it?

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]