test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

WELL.... this is a HUGE change for the production of "Star Trek: Discovery"...

daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
edited October 2016 in Ten Forward
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/bryan-fuller-showrunner-star-trek-discovery-cbs-1201901398/

Too many things on Fuller's plate...

He won't be active in day-to-day production now, will no longer be "showrunner"...

Main Character not cast yet...
(apparently they are having trouble finding just the right female actor)

While most other characters have been cast...

Episodes will be in the 6-7 million dollar range.

CBS nervous about another possible delay...

Seems CBS hasn't got as much trust in Fuller as most of the rest of us do.

IMO, CBS is pushing to get the thing done, and Fuller wanted to take it slow, to get it right.
Also sounds like CBS isn't thrilled with Fuller's idea/creation for the main character being a Female and NOT the Captain.

This could be the sticking point since they haven't agreed on an actor to fill the roll yet, while it's being reported that most of the rest of the cast is in place.
STO Member since February 2009.
I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
Post edited by daveyny on

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Jebas, does no one read the stories linked? Dude's not leaving the show, not disassociating his name from it - he's just not going to be hands-on every single day, because he's also doing post-production on American Gods and prepping a reboot of Amazing Stories. He's working three full-time jobs, basically, and has to back down on one of them - and ST:D is the one with the most other people to pick up the slack.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Yep, he's still overseeing the story arcs he laid out, so TRIBBLE should still be good. Looking forward to getting TRIBBLE on demand. Wait. :o
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    They still haven't cast the main character? That's ... interesting ... I wonder if they're looking for an established actress, but have been told no by those they've approached so far
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    jonsills wrote: »
    Jebas, does no one read the stories linked? Dude's not leaving the show, not disassociating his name from it - he's just not going to be hands-on every single day, because he's also doing post-production on American Gods and prepping a reboot of Amazing Stories. He's working three full-time jobs, basically, and has to back down on one of them - and ST:D is the one with the most other people to pick up the slack.​​
    Which will allow him to say "Hey, not my fault, I'm not here everyday, it was the other guys who made that decision..." Jebas...
    Post edited by marcusdkane on
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User

And him popping by the writing room should keep things consistent, just no time to manage everything day-to-day. I'm more surprised they haven't cast a main character, given the way a captain tends to set the tone of a series (assuming the main character IS the captain....)
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    And him popping by the writing room should keep things consistent, just no time to manage everything day-to-day. I'm more surprised they haven't cast a main character, given the way a captain tends to set the tone of a series (assuming the main character IS the captain....)

Word on the grapevine is the show will center on a character who is NOT the Captain.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1

Yeah, @jonsills has a good grip on this.

Fuller's other projects aren't exactly surprise revelations. I fully expected him to step away from the showrunner position after the first season. Abrams did that with LOST and Fringe. Pillar did that on DS9. Shoot, Voyager had three showrunners over its run. Yes, sometimes, a showrunner change affects the show in a negative way. It's not a lock, one way or another.

This is certainly unsettling news, but it's not the end of the world. Not yet, anyway.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • captkelly31#5645 captkelly31 Member Posts: 392 Arc User
    Is it executive meddling, or some other reason?
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    Hope the captain is Russian
    GwaoHAD.png
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    mhall85 wrote: »

Fuller's other projects aren't exactly surprise revelations. I fully expected him to step away from the showrunner position after the first season. Abrams did that with LOST and Fringe. Pillar did that on DS9. Shoot, Voyager had three showrunners over its run. Yes, sometimes, a showrunner change affects the show in a negative way. It's not a lock, one way or another.

This is certainly unsettling news, but it's not the end of the world. Not yet, anyway.
    No, they aren't surprize revelations, but neither would they have been surprize revelations to Fuller... Why would someone take on a position that they i) should reasonably know they haven't got the time to give attention to, and ii) intend to walk away from anyway? What is the point? Abrams has taken a fair bit of criticism for doing that with Lost... I agree, while it's not the end of the world, I consider it very unsettling for a showrunner to need to step down while the show is still in pre-production and not fully cast! Yes, maybe he'd taken on too much and realized he was spreading himself thin and needed to refocus... Or maybe, given that not everyone is thrilled about what they're hearing about TRIBBLE, he made a convenient and plausible excuse to remove himself from the main thrust of the project... I think the latter...
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    mhall85 wrote: »

No, they aren't surprize revelations, but neither would they have been surprize revelations to Fuller... Why would someone take on a position that they i) should reasonably know they haven't got the time to give attention to, and ii) intend to walk away from anyway? What is the point? Abrams has taken a fair bit of criticism for doing that with Lost... I agree, while it's not the end of the world, I consider it very unsettling for a showrunner to need to step down while the show is still in pre-production and not fully cast! Yes, maybe he'd taken on too much and realized he was spreading himself thin and needed to refocus... Or maybe, given that not everyone is thrilled about what they're hearing about TRIBBLE, he made a convenient and plausible excuse to remove himself from the main thrust of the project... I think the latter...

I hear ya. I think the $65 Million question is: if this was always an issue, why even risk hiring Fuller in the first place?

To me, that's on CBS and Fuller. It's the studio's fault for risking this, and it's Fuller's fault for accepting such a critical position. For me, I also understand why CBS may be upset about the show's progress, especially after granting the extension and pushing back the premiere. We're quickly approaching the one-year anniversary of the initial announcement of the show. On the current timetable, I'd fully expect to hear lots of news VERY soon... and it STILL doesn't sound like DSC is at that point, yet.

Bringing someone in to push for focus doesn't have to be a bad thing... three someones may be overkill, admittedly... we'll see.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Hope the captain is Russian

Rumor has it that they are apparently looking for a Female African American to fill the main role of the ships First Officer.

Too bad Rosario Dawson is already working for Netflix/Marvel (Dare Devil/Luke Cage/The Defenders), IMO she would be perfect.

Zoe Saldana would be perfect also, but her plate is just as full.
    B)
    Post edited by daveyny on
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    They should make the main character a transgendered inuit conjoined siamese twin.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited October 2016
    iconians wrote: »
    They should make the main character a transgendered inuit conjoined siamese twin.​​

THAT would certainly be something they've never tried before.

<chuckle>
    B)
    ... you completely left out the whole "50 Shades of Gray" thing.

B)
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    Personally I happy to see someone from the Star Trek: Voyager writing staff WON'T be in charge of a show set in TOS era. The last thing I want is to see TOS era take on a crappy 'Voyager' vibe.

Personally I wish they tried to bring Manny Coto back into the Star Trek fold. What he did with 'Enterprise' season 4 was amazing - and he's one modern showrunner who seems to 'get' TOS era (IMO).
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    Personally I happy to see someone from the Star Trek: Voyager writing staff WON'T be in charge of a show set in TOS era. The last thing I want is to see TOS era take on a crappy 'Voyager' vibe.

Personally I wish they tried to bring Manny Coto back into the Star Trek fold. What he did with 'Enterprise' season 4 was amazing - and he's one modern showrunner who seems to 'get' TOS era (IMO).

He's too busy working on the "24-Legacy" series for FOX that comes out next year.

B)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Oh gee... FOX... lets see how long that lasts before they cancel it in favor of more "Reality" TV.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)