test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anything up with The Badlands

So I pop into the Badlands, help with two of the Three starbases and battle through the furball.

And didn't get any Marks? And only 1 elite item?

Is this normal?

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    If only one base got destroyed then only one, but should have been 1 Terran and 1 Temporal.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Just went in there, we knocked out all three and got three Terran and three Temporal Elite. I had a Tier IV Reward on one, a Tier I on another and never made it to the third.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    Thanks for checking.

I'll give it another try today and see what happens. I wonder if arriving after the start of the starbase appearance had anything to do with it, like it didn't flag my ship's presence or something.
  • thecoffinflythecoffinfly Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    I noticed I didn't get the marks box option upon completion of the initial capture points.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I stopped going to the badlands a while back for this very reason.

Last time I was there, I started taking a point. It was one of the ones with the 3 generator points where you shut those down then stop the ships spawning in the middle. Anyway, I did 2/3 Generators solo, at that point someone else showed up and we teamed up on the 3rd point and the middle.

I got a Tier II reward for it even though I did 75% of it solo.

This happens to me all the time in Badlands, and I was flying Vengeance with a pure DPS load out (85-100k) so it wasn't lack of contribution. The rewards calculation in the Badlands is completely screwed up. I'll go there sometimes just for fun because it's one of the few places to get a half way descent fight, but I never go there for actual rewards.

When it first came out, it was rewarding purely based on DPS contribution. This angered a lot of people and they 'fixed' it a little while after release. It made it more even, but the rewards now are completely random. In typical Cryptic fashion though, they won't try again, if the first fix doesn't work, they give up.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I was in there yesterday and we had a group of 4 of us capping a point and all that was spawning was wave after wave of Gal-X dreads and Odysseys, was a pick of a tough fight, i'm sure the spawning system was messed up.

Like @seaofsorrows says, the rewards are crazy now. You can be the only person on a point and do 90% of the work and some guys will waltz in and get T4 rewards leaving you with T1. There's no sense to it.
    And that final battle is just atrocious game design, if you don't spam BFAW constantly you have no hope of getting a decent reward there.
    SulMatuul.png
    I have always hated the Terran Counterattack Phase. No matter how many ships I destroy, fire on the Mirror Enterprise, Grav Well bunches together for the kill, etc. i usually end up with a Tier I reward. I think on two occasions I got it up to a Tier II. If Reward in that Phase is strictly based upon DPS then that was a very poor decision on Cryptic's part.

I don't believe that the Elite Mark reward is based upon any prior participation. If you participate in at least one take down and all three are destroyed you will get the 3/3 Elite Marks. Your overall participation in the whole zone for that round, including the lead up to the bases appearance, will affect the number of regular Terran Marks awarded at the finish of Phase I when you get those Elite Marks.

They should have kept the awards as in the Undine Space Battlezone instead of getting all cute with the way they set this up.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I've found the rewards for closing individual portals only award marks for tier IV participation, which pretty much requires you be on hand from the moment the attempt starts until it's completed. (solo not required or even advised). Starting form scratch it's tricky to get even 2 tier IVs before the event moves tot the next phase.

The elite marks/widgets seems to only require the game recognize you did something productive during the triple station fight, even if its "tier I" vs. one station.

The end furball has always given me rewards even if I've gotten there within 45 seconds of it ending. best advice I can give is pick one ship at the edge of the fracas and burn it to the ground by yourself. If you qualify for even a single normal loot drop, you qualify for the bonus elite mark. Would not surprise me at all if putting scuffs and dings on 40 ships DOESN'T trip the reward trigger.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yeah, I have had runs where I got Tier IV on one of the 3 stations and Tier 1 or nothing on the other 2 and still received the full elite marks. I'm pretty sure that if you get Tier IV on at least 1/3 stations, you should be good. I don't know for sure, that's just been my personal experience.

Honestly, best way is to find other places for the rewards. The Badlands are buggy as hell. It's a fun zone, but rewards are a mess.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    I'm in there a lot right now refining my understanding of the system, since I have seven captains who are looking at various TDI gear and will probably unlock the Terran rep costume parts as a byproduct :).
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    What I've noticed about the Badlands is when giving out MARKS, it seems to only give out Terran marks, which I don't need. I need Temporal marks. It seems fine when it comes to Chroniton Buffers, and the Terran Elite mark (forgot what it's called) though.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
    Oh, I get the choice of one Terran or Temporal Elite Mark for the Counterattack Phase each time, it is getting the Mark/Dilitium reward that never gets beyond Tier I (very occasionally II).
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    I only go there for the elite marks and just look at the other marks as gravy. I agree the Undine battle zone rewards make more sense.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Rarely have I gotten anything other than tier IV rewards (if I was at a point the whole time), and I am hardly a DPS monster. Most of my captains don't have anything above Mk XII (enough to contribute, not enough to rule the waves). So whatever the basis for the formula is, it isn't DPS alone.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Yeah, me too. Went there for marks, spent like 30min and got 1 elite mark. Was angry at the waste of time.
    Glad to know its not just me.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    The rewards in the Undine battlezone work, why don't they fix it to be like that.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
    I get the Tier IV Rewards in Phase I as long as I don't get to a particular area late. My problem is with Phase II, the Counterattack. I participate throughout the full five minutes but rarely get beyond Tier I Rewards.

Could it be that you need to be within a certain distance of that marker throughout most of the five minutes, if it is not DPS related?
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    gradii wrote: »
    The rewards in the Undine battlezone work, why don't they fix it to be like that.

BEcuase Cryptic has made it clear they feel the older battlezones pay out too much, so they made the Badlands one pay out a lot less.

in other words, We want people playing our new battlezones so much we're gonna nix the rewards and leave the old battlezone rewards intact so everyone can just play that instead.

Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    edited October 2016
    ((shrug)) if you want marks to turn to dilithium with dailies, great. If you want TDI gear, you won't be doing the Undine Battlezone to get it.
    nikeix wrote: »
    ((shrug)) if you want marks to turn to dilithium with dailies, great. If you want TDI gear, you won't be doing the Undine Battlezone to get it.

I don't do the badlands battlezone to get it either. payout is far too low. I do MINE with subcomms.