test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Key Ring Bundle

Cryptic just announced a new limited time C-Store item - the Key Ring Bundle. It has 20 Keys for 2250 which is the normal list price but each Bundle includes ONE Ultimate Tech Upgrade which will take ANY item to Mk XIV Epic for NO Dilitium Cost. Interesting.
'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
Judge Dan Haywood
'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
l don't know.
l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
Lt. Philip J. Minns

Comments

• bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    Indeed. But will the ultimate tech upgrade give you the mods you want? Nope.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I just want the Tech upgrade thingy. Wonder if they can be sold on the exchange.

Not that I would like the price, but still... wondering :p
    edited September 2016
    Overall, now that we have the recruitment bonus that instantly upgrades to MK 13 and UR quality, I would say that it's not that interesting though. Of course that only applies to reputation gear, but for most of my builds it's the most important gear.

And getting fleet spire and research lab consoles to epic quality (from ultra rare) usually doesn't make that much of a difference.

So the only useful application I see is for some fleet shields. Most other stuff is already covered by the recruitment bonus, or it's already Ultra rare by default and hardly worth it to get it to epic quality.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    use it for rep project items... they are fixed on what mods to get. also they cost way more to upgrade than regular items. upgrade item is account bound... if you want it you need to buy it. 20 keys thou so if you need 16 upgrades... you will end up with 320 keys.
  • kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    The TR-116 is Account bound...that might make a good use for this as you could move it around to all toons as they run Borg ground missions. Personally thinking about getting an account bound Federation Type 2 Phaser to pass around.
    kjfett_14091.jpg
    Yeah but who needs 16 of these? One of them could be interesting if you were planning on buying keys anyway. But other than that, this mostly seems interesting for those who want to squeeze out another 0.1 DPS. For 99% of the players it's probably not interesting, or at most having one of these could be interesting, especially if you have the recruitment bonus unlocked and if you are using fleet consoles.

If they had released this before the recruitment event, it would have been very interesting. Now it's only a marginal difference for most players.
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Cryptic just announced a new limited time C-Store item - the Key Ring Bundle. It has 20 Keys for 2250 which is the normal list price but each Bundle includes ONE Ultimate Tech Upgrade which will take ANY item to Mk XIV Epic for NO Dilitium Cost. Interesting.

A announcement of an announcement of an announcement wow...how unique?

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10170363-key-ring-bundle!

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1222425/key-ring-bundle​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Ultimate Tech is worth about 338 Zen based upon buying two tens packs on sale vs this at list price.

At the current Zen Exchange price of 402 Dilitium per Zen, that is about 135,876 Dilitium or 126 Superior Tech Upgrades applications. It does not cover the EC/Resource cost of what those Upgrades would have cost to create. The Superior requires no additional Dilitium to create any of its components.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Yes, thank you. Too many people don't check GNN or the News Blogs. Better than another whining Thread about 'I opened blah blah Lockboxes/R&D Packs and did not get my T6 yada yada.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Interesting indeed
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    Yes, thank you. Too many people don't check GNN or the News Blogs. Better than another whining Thread about 'I opened blah blah Lockboxes/R&D Packs and did not get my T6 yada yada.

Or another poll about which ship should be made T6 next :)
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »

I love it when they make a poll of a poll of what you dont like about polls tiger-2.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
    storules wrote: »

I love it when they make a poll of a poll of what you dont like about polls tiger-2.gif​​

I don't.

Hm now I'm curious what everybody else thinks about that...
  • kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User

Aren't we due for another soon?
    kjfett_14091.jpg
    kjfett wrote: »

Aren't we due for another soon?

Just one? :o
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    This would be nice for existing characters with rep gear that is not UR.

Sure I could grind out 750 marks, 5 elite marks, 32,000 dil to re-do the space gear rep project, then spend who knows how much dil and upgrades to go XIV epic. Or ... I could apply one upgrade and be done.

BUT: $22.50 for just ONE of these upgrades along with the keys? Nope. 5-10? SOLD! 1? Nah.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    The Ultimate Tech is worth about 338 Zen based upon buying two tens packs on sale vs this at list price.

At the current Zen Exchange price of 402 Dilitium per Zen, that is about 135,876 Dilitium or 126 Superior Tech Upgrades applications. It does not cover the EC/Resource cost of what those Upgrades would have cost to create. The Superior requires no additional Dilitium to create any of its components.
    So... if I want to upgrade my Tal Shiar Adapted Warp Core... this upgrade saves me about 80,000 dilithium.

Might be worth it for lobi store consoles too.

For 80%-90% of gear upgrades though, this seems a little pricey.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Ok, really, lets ACTUALLY abuse the hell out of this.

My first thought? Lobi space gear - the stuff that always enters play as blue XII. Three rarity bumps starts to be a thing.

Second choice? Lock box weapons. And not XI or XII either -- we're talking the ability to grab a perfect starting point weapon from anywhere between I and XII. That lets you dig into whole other parts of the stock being offered.

Rep gear is DEAD LAST, because of the comparative ease of grabbing ultra-rare XIII now.
    nikeix wrote: »

My first thought? Lobi space gear - the stuff that always enters play as blue XII. Three rarity bumps starts to be a thing.

Second choice? Lock box weapons. And not XI or XII either -- we're talking the ability to grab a perfect starting point weapon from anywhere between I and XII. That lets you dig into whole other parts of the stock being offered.

Rep gear is DEAD LAST, because of the comparative ease of grabbing ultra-rare XIII now.

I was just thinking:

The blog says
    Applying this item to any upgradeable piece of equipment will instantly set both its Mark and Quality to maximum (usually Mk XIV and Epic/Gold quality) with zero Dilithium Cost!

So it says 'usually'. Which makes me wonder if, at lower levels, it will increase to MK 14 or not. Like if I'm on a level 10 character opening weapon packs and apply one of these, will it actually turn MK 14 epic or MK II epic?

This is something that people who use these things may have to keep in mind - or maybe not, I'm not sure but the 'usually' part is a bit strange. As the only thing that can't reach MK 14 are kit modules, which cannot be upgraded at all so it's not relevant here.
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User

I was just thinking:

The blog says
    Applying this item to any upgradeable piece of equipment will instantly set both its Mark and Quality to maximum (usually Mk XIV and Epic/Gold quality) with zero Dilithium Cost!

So it says 'usually'. Which makes me wonder if, at lower levels, it will increase to MK 14 or not. Like if I'm on a level 10 character opening weapon packs and apply one of these, will it actually turn MK 14 epic or MK II epic?

This is something that people who use these things may have to keep in mind - or maybe not, I'm not sure but the 'usually' part is a bit strange. As the only thing that can't reach MK 14 are kit modules, which cannot be upgraded at all so it's not relevant here.

By usually I think they mean that there are certain items in the game that are non-upgradeable.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User

Why is it not relevant? The kit upgrade system will come to Holodeck, when the Tribble testing is done. Players can save their !!!ULTIMATE UPGRADE!!! for use on kit modules when the system goes live. Seems like this is an attempt to minimize the "you cheated me, Cr@ptic!" threads, since kit modules seem to be limited to Ultra Rare at this time.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User

Which of the three career paths is your favorite?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    redvenge wrote: »

Why is it not relevant? The kit upgrade system will come to Holodeck, when the Tribble testing is done. Players can save their !!!ULTIMATE UPGRADE!!! for use on kit modules when the system goes live. Seems like this is an attempt to minimize the "you cheated me, Cr@ptic!" threads, since kit modules seem to be limited to Ultra Rare at this time.

I haven't followed the news or Tribble as much as I usually do, so I completely missed this kit upgrade system. It's on Tribble now?

Which of the three career paths is your favorite?

Good one... it used to be Sci because they're so easy to work with on the ground, but then I created really powerful engineering and tac characters, then I tried out an exotic build on another sci and fell in love with that and... I don't know.

I write most of my characters' biographies such that they're engineering-sci hybrids. Which works out well now that we have cross-career kits. Never thought I would say it, but I've come to like those.
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    If the folks at Cryptic are this desperate for money, they should release the T6 Jem-Hadar Dread and Keldon. I'd open my wallet for those.
    Yeas about the Kits and unfortunately the Rep Item Mk XIII UR Upgrade came before the Rep Kit Modules are going to be made Upgradeable. I don't see Cryptic going back after that releases and adding the Rep Kit Modules to the UR XIII Unlocks.

Good point about that Lobi Space Gear @nikeix. My Temporal Recruit was going to get some as soon as they have a Lobi Store Sale. I will save the Ultimate Klin..., ah, Tech Upgrades for that. It really is time that they converted all that Lobi Store Space Gear to Mk XII VR already as a starting poinr. They did that with the Ground Gear just before the Upgrade System went live.

I keep one Character at Level 3 to open up Lockbox Weapons at Mk II.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    As the only thing that can't reach MK 14 are kit modules, which cannot be upgraded at all
    Yet. SPOILER ALERT!!!!! :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The upgrade is bound, so it's only worth something if you were going to spend any dilithium upgrading something in the first place.

I'll pass.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User

Away from the game for the time being but... Wuuuut???... Then I read the news page on it.
    Indeed. But will the ultimate tech upgrade give you the mods you want? Nope.

Doesn't matter. You simply hunt for the item you want with the right mods at lower marks, then use the fancy upgrade on it. PRESTO!

Not to mention, upgrading Reputation Equipment is traditionally, by far, the most ultra expensive gear to upgrade. But their mods are fixed. PRESTO!

XzRTofz.gif
  • crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer

I was just thinking:

The blog says

If you use that tech upgrade while on a level 10 character, that item will go to MK XIV Epic if the item could otherwise go to MK XIV Epic. The upgrade window (correctly) tells you this, and (correctly) tells you that it will have a rank requirement that your character does not meet. The item also tells you this.

The "usually" is there because we can make items that do not max progression at MK XIV Epic, and this tech upgrade does not override that.