test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is it me, or was Mirror Invasion harder this time than last?

I mean, it's not like, hard (at least not on Normal), but I think I got into more furballs, and I'm pretty sure this is the first (maybe second) time ships of specific classes with special abilities spawned (except for the Terran Prometheus, which I vaguely recall seeing before).

On the whole, it's still too easy, but it warranted a little more thought than usual. Is that just me?

Comments

• Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    I wouldn't say it's harder, per say... But I have noticed that there have been times wher multiple portsls will spawn near each other, which tends to complicate things (read: a good thing)
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Seemed the same to me.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    I've had 2-3 out of 20 where the team struggled a bit, the rest were smooth, even the one where we closed 38 rifts.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2016
    Seemed easier to me, though my characters (the ones I used anyways lol) were geared out better this time than in previous events.

Also, I only used 2 instead of the 11-12 I previously ran.

Overall I'm rather pleased with how not burnt-out I am after turning in this event. :)

It could be that you just got one of those crappy runs, I forget the proper term, where everything goes to hell all at once and you spend the whole 15 minutes trying to keep from dying. Again, I haven't experienced one of those in a long time, guess I kick too much %&^ now. Lol.

Edit: Oh, yay 1000th post! :p
  • Options
    reiklingraiderreiklingraider Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Seemed easier to me, though my characters (the ones I used anyways lol) were geared out better this time than in previous events.

Also, I only used 2 instead of the 11-12 I previously ran.

Overall I'm rather pleased with how not burnt-out I am after turning in this event. :)

It could be that you just got one of those crappy runs, I forget the proper term, where everything goes to hell all at once and you spend the whole 15 minutes trying to keep from dying. Again, I haven't experienced one of those in a long time, guess I kick too much %&^ now. Lol.

Edit: Oh, yay 1000th post! :p

I had one of those today. Didn't even get the station fully powered. I spent all my time near one generator and just constantly killing ships all the time with multiple portals with ships spawning. We didn't even kill the last assault group in time. Actually it was pretty fun. Just the luck of the draw with event near the end. The rest of my runs during the event went pretty smooth.

• Options
    misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    I've only run this 3 times since it started and only for some iconian marks as it pays better than the official Iconian stfs (which need buffing as the time it takes to complete doesn't merit the effort to do them)

I'd say the map is no harder but the desire to play it thats the difficulty. Hate it.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I would say that it's far easier this time. First, I had only maybe 4 AFKers during my 30ish total runs. That's way down from last time in which I had at least 1 AFKer every single run. On top of that, players that I pugged with generally seem to know how to play this event correctly now.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    malarks#8855 malarks Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    The question I ask is whether 2 weeks of dedicated farming is worth a mere admiralty ship?
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    The question I ask is whether 2 weeks of dedicated farming is worth a mere admiralty ship?

^That's why I only did 2 characters instead of the full roster of 13.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I'd say it's easier, but that's probably just powercreep.
  • Options
    sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Seemed easier to me.... It could be that you just got one of those crappy runs, I forget the proper term, where everything goes to hell all at once and you spend the whole 15 minutes trying to keep from dying.

Looks like the consensus. I had plenty of drollfully easy runs, too, but I noticed an uptick in runs where I wasn't in danger of falling asleep waiting for the timer. Guess I had the good fortune to get more than my share of runs 'going to hell.'
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    I think it was harder to get rifts closed this time. I don't know if it just takes longer to close 'em, if rifts are opening closer to each other, or if the threshold to interrupt a closing is different, but going in solo to a rift, you need more trucks in your bag than I remember needing last year.

Still, not too hard, I usually have time to DOff, have a snack, or post in the forums while we wait for the Dread Battle.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    it's the same but most everyone is much more powerful so it's a lot easier.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    Clusters seem to have gotten a boost since the AFK penalty was fixed. They are much more frequent now.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    It seemed easier to me. The runs where we were fighting all the way to the tachyon pulse were pretty rare. I did notice that people wouldn't close rifts during the final segment, and would just engage the dreadnought. That was annoying.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    easier, but more people afking...which I'm not condemning, because the mission is boring as TRIBBLE.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    MI is not harder compared to the last time I played it, but it is definitely more annoying because as many as 4 rifts can appear in close proximity to each other. If you find yourself alone, then killing enemies ships and then closing the rift can be extremely difficult because more ships can pour out of the other rifts.

For example, last night there was a lone rift somewhat far away. When I got to it ships started to come out of it which I immediately destroyed. Probably sometime during the short battle another rift appeared nearby that I was not aware of and ships came out which started to fire on me interrupting my attempt to close the 1st rift. Another quick battle and back to closing the 1st rift and... I got interrupted yet again by ships coming out of a 3rd rift that appeared some distance above me and while making short work of the ships that came out of the 3rd rift, ships started to come out of the 1st rift. I assume you kinda get the idea.

What's even more annoying is being shot by other ships from far way. While closing one of the 3 rifts I was shot by a ship from a little over 9km away from me that came out of another distant rift. When I destroyed it more ships started to come out of the 3 existing rifts around me so the cycle starts again.

I was flying a cruiser with that captain which are not as quick as science vessels when it comes to closing rifts.
  • Options
    galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    There isn't more ships coming through, I think the enemies are fighting smarter. They're spamming their abilities now. I rather like it.
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The Terran Prommies have some series spike damage potential. Aside from the CBCs using TBR with a ridiculous power level.... only ships to give me any issues on normal.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Not harder at all, just a bit spammier. They come out of a Rift and unlike us, know that you, above them, at 9.5 Kms, are just .5 seconds from closing that other Rift. Disrupt.

I have had the T6 Valiant plow into swarms of Terrans swarming the station and survived, killing a large number of them.

I prefer taking in ships that can support GW. Science ships where I can slot GW III, and TBR II can kill gobs of Terrans. TBR in Pull mode can kill three Frigates in about five seconds. Cruisers, the Prometheus, and their Science Vessels can also be killed with TBR with a bit of help from Torps or the Transphasic Cluster Torpedo while held.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I'd have to agree that it is a bit more pain in the backside this time. My impressions (advanced only):
    1) Increased spawn of science ships + the Bord-level of drain Tachyon beam. There were runs where I've stayed basically without shields for several minutes - first one ship drains your shields, they start to come up and then the other joins and again drains your shields... Add to that like 5-7 frigates spamming FAW at you and Command cruiser engaging TBR and it becomes not pretty.
    Science ships constantly use the Tachyon beam and shockwave HY torp combo, which then hits your hull after they drained your shields.
    2) Increased level of aggro. It became difficult to sneak up on Terrans to close rifts - a frigate at 8-9+ km, which is out of your line of sight, can suddenly easily decide to take some pot shots at you. To the point that having someone engage the Terrans doesn't consistently work for keeping the aggro off the ship closing rifts - some of them still find you a lucrative target.
    3) More abilities spam from Terrans - especially FAW spam.
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    On the one hand, our ships are all more powerful so its easier. On the other, a lot of people are running new AoY characters with sub-optimal equipment so it's harder. Swings and roundabouts. Some runs will be easy, some hard.
  • Options
    dadandgeeklingdadandgeekling Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I ran it on 3 of my Level 60 toons: 1 Fed, 2 Roms. I figured the Roms needed the extra Admiralty card and the Fed is my first toon I always do things on. So, I ran it at least 42 times to complete it for all 3 and it was a grind. I was mildly elated when I completed the last 2 last night. My 11 year old says I have an addiction....

I never lost one attempt. But, I gather few did here. My Chronos ships only died a handful of times. I do agree some runs "felt harder" but I may be wrong. I was amused by the dreadnought names, especially "Sato." (Nice shoutout to Enterprise.)

I had little problems with AFKs. In fact, I always felt I was the slow poke getting into the fights! It was nice to get out of "Doff-a-holic" mode for a while, but I'm glad it's over. The 50k Di is nice as well as the silly card. It did finally get me working on the Reputation paths and my crews are better kitted out with purple weapons and such. (I really need to play more and DOFF less.)

But, can we get a true SCIENCE ship at least sometime for these things??

So many toons, so little time.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    The Terran Prommies have some series spike damage potential. Aside from the CBCs using TBR with a ridiculous power level.... only ships to give me any issues on normal.

Yes the Prometheus ships can be nasty, and they also seem to have some sort of bug whereby the separate parts of the MVAM keep shooting you even when at 0% health.

As for those CBC's and cruisers with tractor beams (of any kind), I found using the Scavenger Beam trait and Tractor Beam gave them a taste of their own medicine! See how they liked having their hull melt in seconds!
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Bumping my Aux to 135 then mashing the TBR button seemed to work nicely as well. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    sirmayday wrote: »
    I mean, it's not like, hard (at least not on Normal), but I think I got into more furballs, and I'm pretty sure this is the first (maybe second) time ships of specific classes with special abilities spawned (except for the Terran Prometheus, which I vaguely recall seeing before).

On the whole, it's still too easy, but it warranted a little more thought than usual. Is that just me?

Just you dude! Not much to do since it it's time gated and made it actually boring. Most of the time peeps were crossing their fingers for the time to pass. I hate those automatic timers that required you to stick around no matter what.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    I expect some major refugee waves from Mirror universe. I've killed millions of able men and women from MU across my numerous alts.

Srsly Cryptic what were you thinking lol...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They will have to subjugate more systems in the Mirror Universe to make up for the losses. And you thought we slaughtered the Borg in record numbers. Pfft. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I would not say it was harder, but could say that different ships, as well as the clustering of the rifts at times did make it interesting at times. I personally wish they would have made it that you had a choice between getting the admiralty card, or being able to slot one of the older projects from the prior events, or even a choice between the card or a mirror boff officer. Hell I wouldn't mind getting the option to slot a project to get access to a purple quality hanger-pet, which could be a one of the three types we normally have (shuttle, fighter, frigate).

Personally I found the afk system just not worth the effort at all to it into the stf, over merely adding a mechanic into the stf that would incentive/reward players not afking or doing well in the stf together. Such as the idea that when you get the station' defenses maxed out, as well as clearing all of the portals in the area, than it would allow you to activate the satellites (or interact with the station). Which than would act as a method of speeding up the phase shift into phase two by 30 seconds to 2 mins overall would be a nice treat, making it that afking would be the less desirable, while groups doing well would actually get thru the stf faster even if only 30 seconds faster, but to me having us wait between 2-5 mins for the phase shift because of doing well is just counter productive.