test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Missing Star Trek Locations

I've noticed many locations from the various series that haven't shown up in STO. Any other canon locations or species you can think of? Only the series and movies.

Argus Array
latest?cb=20111109002901&path-prefix=en
The Argus Subspace Radio Telescope Array, located on the edge of Federation space in 2367 about three light years from the Cardassian border. It was the focus of two episodes of TNG and referenced in a third. It's possible that it was destroyed by the Jem'Hadar later in the Dominion War, but I somehow think the Federation would have either rebuilt it either in the same location post-war or somewhere even further on the fringes of explored space.

The Barrens
latest?cb=20100512020521&path-prefix=en
An area of space spanning one hundred light years in which there are no stars, The Barrens are a subspace node of curved space-time. It was used for experiments in sub-quantum transporter technology in the early 22nd Century before it was decided to be a fundamentally flawed concept. It's relatively close to the Sol System as it was used for experiments well before the launch of the NX-01 Enterprise, United Earth's first Warp 5 starship. I'm rather surprised that the area wasn't used by the likes of the Elachi or Solanae since it the separation between normal space and subspace appears to be thinner there.

Talarians
latest?cb=20140207114741&path-prefix=en
Known as the Talarian Republic in the universe of the Star Trek novels, they're an extremely patriarchal and militarist species. Though they possess inferior technology to that of the Federation, they successfully fought the Galen border conflicts in the 2350s against Starfleet by their willingness to fight to the death and their use of guerrilla warfare, such as sending out a distress signal from an observation craft and auto-destructing the ship when Starfleet personnel beamed on board to investigate. They may have begun to catch up with the Federation by the 25th Century and they likely would have been a useful ally during the Iconian War, if not an ally for the Klingon Empire in their war against the Federation in 2409.

Sheliak Corporate
latest?cb=20130702132124&path-prefix=en
A non-humanoid classification R-3 lifeform whose homeworld - which is presumably Class H - is located in the Shelia System, they view humanoids as an unintelligent and inferior form of life, describing them as 'creatures' and the presence of humanoid life as an 'infestation'. The Federation-Sheliak Conflict was fought in the 23rd Century, ended by the arduously negotiated Treaty of Armens in 2255 in which the Federation ceded several Class H planets to the Sheliak. Being xenophobes with particular environmental needs on par with the Tholians, the Sheliak could be another species that would require missions to deal with.

First Federation
latest?cb=20110331033430&path-prefix=en
First encountered by Kirk's Enterprise in 2266, the First Federation in an insular technologically advanced civilization whose territory is marked by cube-like warning buoys intended to test unknown vessels for their capabilities and the attitudes of their crews. Their flagship, the Fesarius, was estimated to be a mile in diameter, piloted by a single crewperson, and was able to scan the entirety of the USS Enterprise in only a few seconds and in enough detail to then override and shut down some of its systems. They maintain friendly relations with the Federation and their main export is the beverage tranya, which could be found in Quark's on Deep Space Nine in the mid-24th Century. By the 25th Century, its likely the First Federation is surrounded by UFP space, rather like a technologically advanced Lesotho surrounded by South Africa. It's unlikely that, in the midst of the Iconian War, that the First Federation would have been left unscathed by the Elachi and Herald attacks across the Federation.

Enterprise-Era Aliens
latest?cb=20101004145059&path-prefix=en
Enterprise introduced many new species, some of which have found their way into STO: the Elachi, the Suliban, the Xindi. Others can't be introduced because they were eradicated in the meantime, like the Malurians whose homeworld was destroyed by the space probe Nomad in TOS. But others were introduced that held regional power status relatively near the core of the future Federation: the Tandarans, the Arkonians, etc. Then there were those species whose technology was far in advance of contemporary humans, Vulcans and Andorians: the Xyrillians and the Vissians.

Comments

• Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Here's something for you. Maybe you'll find something else listed on the page there.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1221605/star-trek-alien-list-and-timeline
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Would be interesting if we get a mission featuring Captain Pike and the Talosians. Captain Pike and Vina might still be around on Talos.
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    yeah, there's a ton of material they could still mine for the game, that's for sure. They could do an expansion that would double (at the very least) the size of the story content of the game if they went back and had a single mission featuring each of the species that they've not touched on yet - some of which are available in the alien gen already, or are easily enough to create art wise because of they are basically human (especially the TOS aliens). I definitely agree that the Delta Quadrant could use a few additions too.

Of course, if they made a few quality of life improvements to the Foundry, and made it easier to incorporate Foundry missions into the actual storyline of the game, then Foundry authors could do some of these stories themselves (they may have already done a few of them).

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Ferenginar, but I'm working on that. :tongue:
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User

Yes please!
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    I'm really hoping in time that they will flesh out the universe.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2016
    The Sheliak, First Federation, and Talarians haven't shown up because they exist off the map. in the Sheliak's case, they are REALLY REALLY far away.

If we want to get into a list of "missing locations"
    -Talos
    -Organia
    Come to mind immediatly

Talos is also off the map. (1 sector south of the southern border of the AQ in our game) It's also off-limits last I heard.

Organia would be within the bounds of our existing Beta Quandrant, in the Ba'Aja sector. But we haven't had a need to go there, so it hasn't bee made.

reyan01 wrote: »
    The, glaringly obvious, Gamma Quadrant in it's entirety springs to mind in this context.

Although saying that, the Delta Quadrant is incomplete too - Ocampa is missing, Suspiria's (the female caretaker) array is not present, the Vidians are nowhere to be seen,

What happened to the Think Tank?

Why is Quarra not in-game? It was referrenced in 'Sphere of Influence'. The Iconians were watching it.

Devore space (sector) appears to already be in-game, but why are the Devore, who were seen to be pretty territorial, suddenly happy with numerous ships flying around their space?

Most of that DQ stuff is off the top of the map. We haven't passed the Nekrit Expanse yet.

Are you sure about Quarra? I know there is a planet material made for it, and I thought we had a map?

Ferenginar is in Sector Space, we just don't have any missions or whatever there so far.

Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »
    The Sheliak, First Federation, and Talarians haven't shown up because they exist off the map. in the Sheliak's case, they are REALLY REALLY far away.

-Talos
    -Organia
    Come to mind immediatly

Talos is also off the map. (1 sector south of the southern border of the AQ in our game)

Organia would be within the bounds of our existing Beta Quandrant, in the Ba'Aja sector. But we haven't had a need to go there, so it hasn't bee made.

It could have made an appearance during the Klingon War arc. Maybe the Organians tried to stop the war between the UFP and Klingons and the Undine popped in and blew them up.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User

-Talos
    -Organia
    Come to mind immediatly

Talos is also off the map. (1 sector south of the southern border of the AQ in our game) It's also off-limits last I heard.

Ferenginar is in Sector Space, we just don't have any missions or whatever there so far.

Just out of curiosity, is there a specific location you would like to (re-)make, just personally ? :)
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    qjunior wrote: »

-Talos
    -Organia
    Come to mind immediatly

Just out of curiosity, is there a specific location you would like to (re-)make, just personally ? :)

I've often talked about rebuilding the DS9 interior. That is still on the table, but not being worked on. I'd also like to do some minor missions that involve taking you to the founding worlds of the Federation (Earth, Andoria, Tellar Prime, Vulcan), so those would be fun.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options

um. ALL of them?!
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User

-Talos
    -Organia
    Come to mind immediatly

I've often talked about rebuilding the DS9 interior. That is still on the table, but not being worked on. I'd also like to do some minor missions that involve taking you to the founding worlds of the Federation (Earth, Andoria, Tellar Prime, Vulcan), so those would be fun.

I imagine a revamp of DS9 would be glorious, the new(er) ESD is a big step up from the old one. Those visits to the founding worlds would lend themselves for some diplomatic stuff. At least we can already unmask a saboteur on Vulcan.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    It would be interesting (and an excuse to level new alts) to add episodes here and there into the existing story arcs instead of always needing to add a new (somewhere), but marketing would probably never go for that since it's hard to sell.

So an Occampan story in the Delta arc (stopping a Vaadwaur raid?), a visit to Andoria in any of the beta arcs, etc.
  • Options
    Yeah I know, I never got why you(Cryptic, not you personally) didn't expand the Alpha quadrant one more sector row down, since there is quite a bit of space down there ranging from Talos to the Talarans.

And by off limits do you mean its quarantined in universe, or that CBS has literally said that Cryptic is forbidden from going there?

Also, unrelated, can you tell whoever made the galaxy map to fix the minor error they made in some future update?
    https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/sto.gamepedia.com/f/f5/NewPortalGalaxy.png
    If you look at pic related, it shows the Alpha quadrant being 6 sectors across, and 4 up/down, but the Alpha quadrant is only 5 sectors across and 4 down.

Its bothered me since the galaxy map was updated.
    Are you sure about Quarra? I know there is a planet material made for it, and I thought we had a map?
    Yep, Quarra is off the map.

Star Trek Online's Delta quadrant map only covers from seasons 2.5 through season 6. Quarra is a planet seen in season 7.

Quarra would be 1 or 2 sectors further south then the map goes.

They moved around a lot of the systems when they revamped the map. Look at the ones around DS9 and you'll see this.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User

-Talos
    -Organia
    Come to mind immediatly

^^^^
    It would be even more interesting if those mission were back in the 23c era (IMO) ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    I was responding to the size of the map you were referring to. Moving the systems around, and even adding several allowed them to minimize the whole thing. Given, they didn't put everything, but some was added. They may add more later when they update the maps again.
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    They moved around a lot of the systems when they revamped the map. Look at the ones around DS9 and you'll see this.
    Yes, and they also greatly expanded the map also. Especially the Alpha quadrant map.

My question was, why didn't they expand it down one more row to fit in the Talarans, Talos, and a number of other planets down there.

I really have no idea why you responded with what you did, as it had nothing to do with what I said.

so it was directly related to your post...
  • Options
    They left a lot out. Given. Plenty of room to upgrade the game later.

B)
  • Options
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    Here's something for you. Maybe you'll find something else listed on the page there.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1221605/star-trek-alien-list-and-timeline

I did mention this earlier, but this thread gives the database for everything (nearly) in startrek, so you can find other things you might add, whether to the map or elsewhere - Even other Factions not in STO.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah I know, I never got why you(Cryptic, not you personally) didn't expand the Alpha quadrant one more sector row down, since there is quite a bit of space down there ranging from Talos to the Talarans.

And by off limits do you mean its quarantined in universe,
    Yes.

Be it hereby noted that said following instructions be incorporated in STARFLEET policy:
    NO ONE WILL EVER VISIT TALOS IV.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2016

No Foundry missions there either but I've got one in the works to rectify that (with more cloud and rain on other ground maps but this one is in the best shape to show ATM).

CmD04q-XIAAjq4_.jpg
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    you just answered your own question. ^
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Several planets have been quarantined, yet still show up in STO.

I think the guardian of Forever planet was as well.
    Yes, but they only show up if the plot compels it. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg