test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] Tribbles in Ecstasy talk about what Star Trek means to us and you on its 50th Birthday!

midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
edited September 2016 in Ten Forward
Hi,

The 50th anniversary of when Star Trek first aired is on Thursday, 8th September 2016.

In celebration, the Tribbles in Ecstasy crew will be talk about what Star Trek means to them and how they got in to Star Trek but we'd love to hear from you!

Reply to this post to tell us about what Star Trek means to you, how you got in to it, if/how you've done your own celebrating and we'll read your stories out live on Friday after we go through all of this week's Star Trek news.

We go live at 8pm EDT on Friday 9th over at - you can even join us in chat.

LLAP

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    For me, Star Trek isn't just about one ship or anything. Its... well... an adventure. But more than that, its what we could be without our petty differences that we have today.

While some people put down others over which Trek they like ( '09 "JJ" Trek haters), I feel that these so called "purists" have missed the point entirely. Star Trek isn't about which one is the "real" Trek. It is about respect, acceptance, and tolerance. Working together towards a better future.

Some people are so caught up in what is "proper" Trek that they would go so far as to disavow anything that "Saint" Roddenberry didn't have a hand in, which basically kills off EVERYTHING after TNG season 2. Some even go so far as to say TOS alone is the One True Trek, and all others are blasphemy.

Well... they're wrong. All Trek is Trek. It is more than just the story of the original Enterprise. It is the story of a Galaxy that these ships exist in. The origins of the Federation in Enterprise, the adventures of James T Kirk in TOS and the TMP era movies, the Diplomacy of Jean-Luc Picard and the Enterprise-D in TNG, the Federation in war time and life on the frontier in Deep Space Nine, the goal of survival cut off from support in Voyager...

Even the reboot movies have a tale to tell, and have given us a second, clean slate for stories. How will that reality shape itself after the disruption caused by Nero?

There is no One True Trek. True Fans do not single out one series over another. A True fan accepts all Trek, flaws and all. Because at the end of the day... its Hope. Star Trek isn't some grim/dark future. Its not a war torn galaxy of hate. Its bright and hopeful. Even during the Dominion War, when things looked grim, the ideals of the Federation were not sacrificed just to win.

Blast me if anyone wants, or call me an idealist, but that to me is what Star Trek is about, and I accept all Trek. Not just bits and pieces.

How I got into Trek was... I got started on TNG back in the 90s. And the rest... is history. :)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)