test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

the Next Chapters, The Hologram Deck Adventures "Pack" possible for zen market?

wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
if anyone remember playing eq2's first 2 adventure packs, Bloodlines and Darkpaws Saga? i feel they seem unfinished when they should had some kind of trilogies.

so, i am wondering, if Cryptic need other income base on special editions "adventure packs" only for holodeck adventures and while keeping main chapters like we have with Iconians, Temporal, and Romulan Legacy.

Holodeck adventures only available on zen market?
what is reasonable price range? 1k zen? 750 zen?
base on poll voting for next 2-3 adventure packs?

types of adventures would be....
Sherlock Holms
Captain Proton
any fantasy setting?
any gumshoe cases/Noir saga?
Shakespearean's stageplays?
Kahless's ballad
Ring of Numberling? (spell check for me pls?)
any historical events/war saga?

any Holodeck pack would be release once or twice a year, just to keep investment going, and later if these packs get old or stale, then they may go to bargin package as part of annually event during anniversaries cheap as 250 zens?

if someone saying it for Foundry, but it only had limited access when studio could build with blueprints they have, a just little bigger adventures and scaled, didnt want folks saying adventure pack is too small or short and then complains.
devs only have limited time and other deadline, but should offer to any "fledling studio interns" as new training pool to do holodeck pack and if they are good to get hire, sort of like baseball's farm system before becoming pros.

holodeck can be use for pool table games, bowling, golfing or card games, but these are not adventure pack.

let hear your pro and con please and what do you think?

Comments

• wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    adventure pack is optional for other players who want or can, if you dont like it or not wanting, that okay, you dont have to buy it. it may go cheaper after a year or later date when it go to bargin price.
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    Pretty sure cryptic makes enough money off lockboxes and promo packs, they don't need to be selling missions.
    just for holodeck adventures, not a mission.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    If they did this OP they would put it in a R&D pack or a lock box
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    First off, the way missions are done in the game, the holodeck adventures would have to be built like a mission.

2nd, because of point 1, that would mean having to charge for a mission which isn't what Cryptic ever wants to do. So no, the idea isn't a good one at all.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    They're not going to spend time and resources building special art for one-off holodeck missions that probably wouldn't recoup the expense of making them, since it's likely that a lot fewer people would buy one to play.

IF we ever get something like that, you can bet that it will be tied to some kind of event or promotion available to everyone that will make them a lot more money than selling missions. The Devs figured out how to monetize this stuff in free play a long time ago. Story hooks are what they use to promote new shinies that people want to buy. Gating the story cuts down on the shiny sales, so they're not going to do it.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
    edited August 2016
    wow, so much negativities, i only meant for interns so they can be future studio team member in years later, in some kind of studio, only to support the dev team to focus on main plots, and holodeck are for fillings and training options as "adventure packs". it is bit more than just a small mission that last for 10-30 mins, holodeck would last for several hours of playtime.

why you dont like it? shooting down some inspirating contents? old fashion minded that dont like the "winds of changes"?

Star Trek need more variety flavors, there are some holodeck episodes in several shows. why just focus on same boring verse vs verse with roms, klings, or borgs? so we can switch scenery often to fantasy or historical roleplays every once in awhile.

even one of the original ST serie had "hologram" with "Cat's Paw" episode, i think, that one with fake castle and giant cat.

please keep your mind open.
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    Ok, think of it this way. Why would anyone spend money on short one off missions when there's literally thousands of foundry missions to choose from for no cost?
    first of all, no one can make historical settings, or victorian setting, or 1930's pulp-fiction noir themes, or fantasy in Foundry, unless if they get Neverwinter's blueprints. foundry is limited and mostly 24th century textures and not as much, you would need 5-8 foundry to make a whole series.
    adventure pack is just notch bigger mission theme, and therefore we would gain new textures add to foundry lot later and more optional creativities like we not had before.

they could use one intern team to focus specific project so they can earn college credit and experiences for job references, and then newer intern team would focus other new project and all new textures. that would save dev team alot of time and more free time to fix problems.

getting the adventure pack would be very cheap as 350 zen if you think 1k zen is too much.

unless i call the borgs, they may come and said resistance is futile.

our current foundry is all same, with bland wall console textures, ship walls, landscapes.
    90,000 foundry? some are not in english.

i have a story plotline, and we dont have specific textures to go with it, we need more exotic city landscape, gothic style city, and some others we dont have.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    if you want to play in a fantasy setting go play neverwinter
    lets keep this sci fi
    and lets stop giving cryptic new ideas for how to be greedy farks
  • ryghanryghan Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    It would be kind of cool to have the Foundry capable of being more like the Holodeck....but I don't think charging for Holodeck Missions is a good idea (Foundry or not). There is enough other stuff in the game that needs fixing and more than enough stuff to pay for (real money and several types of game money included).
  • minababeminababe Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    I love this idea! I don't agree with charging players for the privilege of having an adventure. It would work better if these types of adventures became a part of The Foundry. The problem is, as some have pointed out, is that we don't have the assets to create them. I would love, love, love to create a story in the Foundry where you and your Away Team show up in 1940s Germany as WW2 spies or time travel to the 1960s or something to that effect. I am sure there are other Foundry authors who are dying to do the same. But until there are assets, there's not much we can do.
    My Foundry Mission--Name: Falling Star | Mission ID: HQIH36HAW | Faction: FED
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    I seriously doubt we will see them charging for missions as the foundry makes far more missions available for free than they could come up with in a reasonable timeframe. More likely we will start to get charged for future recruitment events as they give account wide upgrades.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    Why when I have alts to level up. And if that isn't enough. I can hit the foundry missions.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    mini and dir, thanks, you both just made me to rethink new options.
    instead of charging for adventure pack, they could intergrate into holodeck series for no cost.

as long they have interns in training under devs' supervising, only use holodeck adventures, tested for bugs, graphic glitches or whatever they can find.
    one intern team for one project selected by dev team for new textures, new city landscapes, item placements. as soon internship ended, then all new intern team come for next project in new settings.

then foundry makers get more creativities and newer storyline base on current themes when we get new textures released.

i am aware of textures and placements all have the "ID tag code" to avoid cross code glitches or overwrites.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    wylonus wrote: »
    mini and dir, thanks, you both just made me to rethink new options.
    instead of charging for adventure pack, they could intergrate into holodeck series for no cost.

as long they have interns in training under devs' supervising, only use holodeck adventures, tested for bugs, graphic glitches or whatever they can find.
    one intern team for one project selected by dev team for new textures, new city landscapes, item placements. as soon internship ended, then all new intern team come for next project in new settings.

then foundry makers get more creativities and newer storyline base on current themes when we get new textures released.

i am aware of textures and placements all have the "ID tag code" to avoid cross code glitches or overwrites.

you just demonstrated a really huge lack of knowledge as to how things get done in game development.... which explains why you think this is a great idea
    explain to me in details. your post is too vague to me, Koda.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    talien wrote: »
    Ok, think of it this way. Why would anyone spend money on short one off missions when there's literally thousands of foundry missions to choose from for no cost?

Foundry missions are almost universally bad, that's a really good reason.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    about the only way this would be doable is if they did legendary missions like fighting khan in the mutara nebula etc.
    i mean who wouldnt want to step into the captains chair of the enterprise during one of its legendary missions.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    PWE might gouge us for various items, but mission content will always be free. My main problem is Cryptic not developing more frivolous content in the C-Store like Emote Packs and Costumes. For whatever reason, Cryptic has removed a bunch of emotes from the C-Store.
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Good ideal but the first time they charge to play, Im done. I paid for a lifer account. I paid a lot more than that for the shinny stuff I like to play with. That part is on me for wanting it. I see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    well, in sync with the OP's idea, it would be very cool to have an FE that uses 30s noir stuff. first they could have a first contact episode, and since the textures for outfits and characters are there, an FE going back to the gangster planet ( No cracks about THE BOOK) adn then the textures and stuff released to the foundry...
    Spock.jpg

• stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    wylonus wrote: »
    explain to me in details. your post is too vague to me, Koda.

I'll take a shot at part of the problem. I'm not a developer, but I am an IT guy and I think I have a vague grasp of the realities.

You're imagining a team of low-priced interns hired fresh out of college able to "hit the ground running" and start building new assets from the ground up with very little supervision.

It doesn't work that way.

Interns start out needing to learn everything. They perform small tasks under supervision until they are comfortable with the company and the project. Designing a brand new setting is not a 'small task'. It's not even an intermediate task. It involves code branches and different types of artists, maps and skins, databases and spreadsheets, etc.

Even with an experienced team, Cryptic takes weeks if not months to design new settings. A team of interns wouldn't be able to match that pace. Worse yet, internships often involve churn... as they get experience, they're going to start looking for better paying jobs. How much can they get done when interns are coming and going all the time?

I'm sure there are other realities to consider, but just this piece of it should convince anyone that it's not exactly a trivial undertaking to bring on additional human resources to accelerate development. They can't do it with interns. They'd need to bring in full-time developers, which means they have to be profitable enough to support them.

That brings the whole "Bang for the Buck" philosophy into play. Anyone who's watched Cryptic long enough understands that they've learned not to shoot for the moon unless there's a way to recoup those costs by generating buzz and making sure sales. They'll always hedge their bets and make sure they have plan B ready to make money if plan A doesn't perform quite as well as they expected.

They're not going to make any money off a 'Moriarty' or 'Captain Proton' holodeck setting (for example) unless there's a way to sell something related to it that lots of people will want. You get a job at Cryptic and figure out a buzz-worthy way to market that, and there's a shot that it might actually happen.

But they're not going to let you wear Victorian costumes on ESD, or fly a Captain Proton spaceship in sector space. So good luck with that.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
    edited September 2016
    okay Stobg, that clears why they couldnt, that made sense, but man, it was just pipedream that some of us like to see more for holodeck series. even the crew of st:tng did wore era costumes so often, and even Tom Paris and Harry Kim dressed up.

i am sure those devs would love to try or to do, seem thier hands are tied due to other guys in suits or on limited budgets or deadline priority.