test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 230: "Tribbles with Troubles"

midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
edited August 2016 in Starfleet Media Corps
Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 230: "Tribbles with Troubles" has warped on to Holosuite Media, you can download and stream it from:
Tribbles230.png

This week the team have problems! First family and health troubles mean we cannot broadcast live on Friday, then we go to broadcast on Saturday to have technology issues cut the stream after several minutes! But we Tribbles won’t let any Troubles stop us!

In this week's episode we discuss and dispute the news from Star Trek Online, Star Trek Timelines (0:23:39), Star Trek News (0:26:37), Community Feedback (1:16:58) and even more!

Our community questions this week are:
1. What are your thoughts on Star Trek Online, Star Trek Timelines, Star Trek Beyond and Star Trek Discovery?
2. What do you think about the Tribbles in Ecstasy podcast?

Please reply to this post with any feedback you have about any topic we've covered or even about the show in general, we'd love to hear what our listeners have to say. And feedback to us now and be entered in to a prize draw to get yourself a Star Trek Online Legacy of Romulus Starter Pack, Zen and Lockbox keys. Rules are here: http://holosuitemedia.com/tiefeedbackgiveaways2016/ - Just reply to this post to enter.
Post edited by midniteshadow7 on

Comments

• alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Hello there, tribbles.

Community questions:

1.) Okay, let's see what I can come up with...

I'm still not playing Timelines.

Still haven't watched Beyond.

Discovery... Okay, I got something...

sun, nobody believed you because your argument was "The registry number proves that this is before Kirk.". Sure, the four-digit number plus the whole aesthetics strongly hinted at something around the TOS/WoK era, but that's not proof. Why? Because there is the USS Constellation NCC 1017. They literally took an Enterprise (TOS) model and rearranged the numbers. Registry numbers may "hint" at something, but they don't "prove" anything.

dragon, the LGBTQ+ crewmember is a big deal because it "shouldn't" be. Just like Number One in The Cage "should" not have been a big deal. The "demonic" Mr. Spock "should" not have been a big deal. Lt. Uhura "should" not have been a big deal. And since you don't seem to remember it, why don't you ask sun to tell you about klingon gate?
    And the next "big deal" are probably gonna be people with depression, PTSD, bi-polar personality disorder... Do I need to keep going?
    Nothing I mentioned "should" be a big deal. But it is. Is it any wonder that I consider myself to be a misanthrope?

Btw. another prequel? Mmh... That takes a lot of suspense out of any stories they are trying to tell. This show cannot be about how it's gonna end (spoilers, the federation and galaxy at large will survive whatever happens), this show needs to be about the journey.

Star Trek Online... Death by a thousand (paper)cuts is probably the most appropriate approximation I can come up with.

2.) Well, I get that the devs might be nice people (I don't know, I never met them.) and nobody wants to hurt their feelings, but... when a kid in kindergarten/preschool or even elementary school paints a picture of some four-legged abomination and you say: "That's a nice dog." and the kid answers that "But it's a pig!", you kinda laugh it off and admit that you were wrong/just being silly
    When that kid is sixteen, you might want to encourage them to try abstract art instead.

I get the feeling that too many podcasts out there go for a "feel good" approach and try to play friendly with the devs. I will give credit where credit is due, like when you had thomasthecat on the show. I will also tell the content team that they are still improving when it comes to the technical parts of constructing an episode.

But I will stand up and talk about the flawed story and what I perceive to be a lack of polish. I want this game to be better, because it should be... it deserves to be better.

RP blog "The Cousins' war":

Remember that I really disliked the RP blog talking about how Orndal was suspicious of Noye, but didn't do ANYTHING even after Noye got aggressive? Or the fact that this facility was built with alliance (federation, klingon empire and romulan republic) resources and this technology was deemed "too dangerous to use", but there were no alliance security details anywhere around? I mean, would the US and the russian federation just give their nukes to... south africa to safeguard them without implementing their own security measures? Probably not...

Remember how Noye casually stole the genocide machine? And now we're here again and there is still no alliance security anywhere to be seen and Krenim security is completely ineffective. Again!
    Does nobody ever learn?

I am not a hero, because if you have to resort to making the NPCs this insanely dumb, it's a case of "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." And that is not particularly heroic!
    Why do I seem to be the only one... uhm... one of the very few people who are bothered by this? This is not good writing. I'm sorry, but it's not.

Last week's show:

First, I was aware of the STO booth and the dev meet-up at STLV. Those were not new. The one thing that changed this year was the lack of a panel. My argument was, if they wanted to skip a panel, they should have done so last year to make a big splash for the 50th. I don't understand the reasoning here. Why skip this year instead of last year? Was it too expensive to have a panel this year? In that case you could have skipped both years to save even more money.

Second, MidNite, the fact that you covered the console launch and how there would be stuff "missing" at launch does not mean anything to the average console player out there. (Or even the average PC player out there.)
    They might stumble upon the "developer walkthrough" because this official video is probably the one thing that gets linked on console gaming news sites. And guess what... Watch the video again. At about 2:40 the executive producer says, "Players will get six years worth of fantastic Star Trek Online updates right at launch, including two expansions and eleven seasonal updates." That is a quote. And the important part is... RIGHT AT LAUNCH. Maybe there is some subtle nuance I'm missing, but remember how my point was about "setting expectations"?
    How in the seven TRIBBLE did the marketing department... oh... nevermind. (Yes, I have issues with the marketing department.)

Third, just because STO is "too twitchy and flashy" for some people does not mean it's twitchy and flashy enough for that imaginary Call of Duty kiddie audience. There are still worlds between something like Call of Duty and... any MMO out there.

Fourth, @sunseahl , since you're not interested in playing it, let me sum it up...

SPOILER ALERT

In temporal reckoning we are at the battle of Procyon 5 and after helping *spoilers* to install the Tox Uthat, we get tasked with disabling the Annorax. We do exactly that and then beam aboard to find that Noye is overloading the damaged temporal core to do... I don't even remember, something. Anyway, we have this boss battle (mind you, we already had a boss battle while helping with the Tox Uthat...) and subdue him.
    So, Noye has been taken into custody and the Annorax is... uhm... I have no idea. Probably on a public parking lot, unlocked and the keys visibly dangling inside... And I bet Noye's cell is unlocked and his guards are still drunk from the after-war party. I wish I was kidding. -.-
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    1.) I still avoid playing mobile games and I can't see Beyond yet.

On Discovery.
    I think it's great that we're getting a female lead. It's refreshing to see that a female lead will no longer be restricted to one series. It's also a nice reminder to see that it's not such a scary thing to greenlight a female as the lead. I'm also intrigued by the fact that she's not the captain. I'm looking forward to it. However, I may not even watch it at all until years later because I'm still not interested in paying for CBS All Access. I may cave, idk honestly. We'll see when we get there. But lord... that ship. Please don't let it come through as the final version. There's still time to make slight changes to not have it be worst!

I also agree that the TRIBBLE (I guess I need to edit to uncensor this. I mean 'not straight') character definitely shouldn't be an alien. I hope you're right, Midnite. I hope they realize that it would be for the best to make the character a human.

2.) I'm a new listener of the podcast. I first heard about it through the Legacy of Romulus Pack giveaway. I don't tend to post my opinions THAT often (hence my low post count), but this time you were offering a giveaway. So I figured I may as well give it a go. My first episode was 218: "Talking to Rocks" back in May 24th of this year. I'm not huge on podcasts, as I've listened to many and they've all failed to keep me listening. It usually ends with me pausing one or two hours in and closing the tab to do something else. Only one podcast has managed to keep me listening, but that's sort of cheating since I've been a fan and following their stuff since February 2011, before they even started doing podcasts. So of course I listen to every episode of their podcast. That's why I think it's sort of cheating for me to say that they've kept me listening. Tribbles in Ecstasy is the second podcast to have made me listen to multiple episodes. Now I'm starting to enjoy giving feedback more than usual. I'll have to try and listen to older episodes whenever I have nothing to do. Kudos to you guys. Don't change and keep up the great work.
    1dd.gif

I also never get tired of hearing that intro. Splendid job on that.

Moving onto feedback.

I agree with you Midnite. They are indeed targeting Trekkies who have consoles. I think Cryptic and PWE are not going to be targeting any kids that play Minecraft, Destiny, Halo, or whatever. (Make no mistake. This audience does exist. I've ran into a giant share of them, both the genuinely nice kids and the cringy trash talking ones.) If any kids do happen to miraculously look away for a few minutes to look at this free space game, they'll probably end up playing for a few minutes then go back to whatever they play regularly. If some kids do decide to stay, then we're talking about a playerbase that will probably be less than 1% of STO on console.

Other players that are content with the PC version but hear a tempting call to try out the console version are also not a giant slice of the pie. It's very obvious that the point of the console launch is to attract Trekkies that aren't PC gamers, whether they've barely jumped into the entire franchise because of the new Kelvin films or whether they've been fans for a decade or more. I've even met a few people that are into Trek but can't play STO simply because they don't even have a gaming PC and consoles with controllers are all they've known. This is the big fat majority that they're aiming for. Those are the people that will stay for the long run and support the game via the console.

If a percentage of the majority of the new console audience is going to drop the game, it'll be because their faction isn't getting as much love as the Feds, because they're tired of pew pews, or any of the other larger issues that the game has. I don't think these people are going to look at "Safty first!" and/or play the story episodes and be like "Oh this simply won't do. Tsk tsk tsk. I expected so much better. I can't believe they had the gall to use the time travel cause and effect trope twice. Ect. Ect. I think I'll drop this for now and go back to playing Overwatch."
    (Yes, I know these bits are brought up by others to point out and contradict what devs say in interviews. Please don't go off on me in copious amounts. Just yanking yer chains :P
    To be perfectly honest, the typo really suits that 60s TV set era imo. I never heard a dev talk about it. Maybe it was intended? lol)

But at the end of the day, no matter how you look at it, this is the only Trek mmo out there and it's safe to say that once Cryptic and PWE grabs the target audience that they're aiming for, a large fraction of those people will continue to play STO the way most of us still do.

TL;DR
    They won't and likely never will grab the audience that isn't into Trek. Those people aren't going to suddenly drop their daily Street Fighter V, Smash Bros., Overwatch, or what have you, in favor of making an account for an mmo and stay for hundreds or thousands of hours.

Cryptic and PWE will grab the Trekkie audience who aren't into PC gaming with this console port and keep those players for the same reasons why most of us are all still here playing STO. Because it's the only Star Trek mmo out there and a really good one too imo, especially when considering how small the dev team is.

So yes, Midnite, hopefully there are enough Trekkies out there that will play the console version and provide the game with more revenue to bump up the dev team size. A bigger team means more content, more polish, more breathing room for the schedule, more everything.
    Post edited by chozoelder2nd on
    SP9Pu.gif
    alex1ger wrote: »
    RP blog "The Cousins' war":

Remember that I really disliked the RP blog talking about how Orndal was suspicious of Noye, but didn't do ANYTHING even after Noye got aggressive? Or the fact that this facility was built with alliance (federation, klingon empire and romulan republic) resources and this technology was deemed "too dangerous to use", but there were no alliance security details anywhere around? I mean, would the US and the russian federation just give their nukes to... south africa to safeguard them without implementing their own security measures? Probably not...

Remember how Noye casually stole the genocide machine? And now we're here again and there is still no alliance security anywhere to be seen and Krenim security is completely ineffective. Again!
    Does nobody ever learn?

I am not a hero, because if you have to resort to making the NPCs this insanely dumb, it's a case of "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." And that is not particularly heroic!
    Why do I seem to be the only one... uhm... one of the very few people who are bothered by this? This is not good writing. I'm sorry, but it's not.

I have to agree with this. It's really silly how there was still no alliance security. Personally for me, the reason why I'm not bothered with it as much is... idk, I guess it's in my nature. I look at something like the lack of content love for KDF and Roms, that's something that bothers me more than plot holes. This stuff is just something that never really gets under my skin for more than a minute.
    SP9Pu.gif
    @sunseahl
    I know that it was you who initially brought it up.
    I also agree that the **** (I guess I need to edit to uncensor this. I mean 'not straight') character definitely shouldn't be an alien. I hope you're right, Midnite. I hope they realize that it would be for the best to make the character a human.
    After you were done talking, Midnite said something along the lines of "I'm sure that won't happen. I'm sure they'll keep the character a human." That's why I directed it towards him, hoping that he's right. Didn't mean to discredit you. Sorry about that.
    SP9Pu.gif