test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kobali Afterlife

tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
I just had a somewhat morbid thought...

What happens to a Kobali when they die? Do they go through the whole Frankenstein reanimation deal again?

Comments

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    From what i can figure it out from the story on the game and Voyager, they can't, just a one time deal, seems that the process cannot be repeated on the same organism..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    From what i can figure it out from the story on the game and Voyager, they can't, just a one time deal...

Yeah, but what if there were Kobali Kobali? They would use dead Kobali to fill in their society...

And then there would Kobali Kobali Kobali, would use dead Kobali Kobali to fill in their society...

Ad infinitum. :D
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    0.o?
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    Herbert West - was he your friend in college, and in after life? Can you think of him now only in terror?
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    From what I understand, Kobali are sterile. So every single Kobali that exists used to be a race alien to the Kobali. So if Kobali only get one chance, then you can't make a Kobali out of a Kobali. Of course, that doesn't include the first generation of Kobali. The Kobali process wasn't originally done to them so it is possible that they could have been Kobalied.
  • djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    I hear they a big fans of Herbert West.​​

Well, Jeffery Combs has played a few Star Trek characters as well as Herbert West, soooooo... :D

But, on topic, I would have to say it's a one-shot deal; once it's done, it can't be done again. No Kobali-Inception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_6G64UnxlM
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    Still reckon you could solve the Kobali "supply" issue by cloning inanimate bodies using transporter tech (seeking permission of the family of the deceased, who I think would be more open to the idea if they knew their loved one's body itself wasn't going to be used/abused but simply used as a copy template for Kobali.

That way people have a corpse to mourn without it being "desecrated" and the Kobali have a cadaver to inhabit and animate. In many ways it would be done in a similar way to organ donation scheme.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The Kobali aren't a real species, so presumably the zombie-people will go to whatever afterlife they would've originally gone to if the were never zombified.

Of course, it has never been established that Star Trek has an afterlife. Unless you believe Q in TNG: Tapestry, when he said "You're dead, this is the afterlife, and I'm God."
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    Hmmm, if only we could Cobalify...
    Imagine Einstein having his second life, what would he come up with?

I'm all for Cobalification... XD
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Lets not... ther are just some people who I would not want to see "Kobalified"...
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    Kobalification is a crime.
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    Maybe if they weren't so ugly...
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I think they are one of the most interesting races we meet in the trek universe.
    It's an interesting idea that they need to reproduce this way, what with it being the result of an accident or whatever in the past. It opens up all sort of moral questions and that's what trek has always been good at.
    Is it right to use other people's dead to further your own population, when being without such methods leaves you to die out as a race.
    Using the Vadwaur in suspended animation was a bit iffy though, they really should have just given them up and avoided the war, or at least taken the moral high ground. There is a big difference between pickup up dead bodies in space and holding crying-pods full of living creatures hostage waiting for them to die off.

We might not like it but it's at least better than the Borg who don't even wait until you're dead before taking you.
    SulMatuul.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    They have transporters. Therfore they have no need for corpserapeing. All the need to do is transport clone a few dozen of themselves and repeat every so often.

I still don't see why KDF players don't get the option to nuke the entire world from orbit.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    kiksken wrote: »
    Hmmm, if only we could Cobalify...
    Imagine Einstein having his second life, what would he come up with?

I'm all for Cobalification... XD

He'd surely come up with some great stuff for the good of humanity :) ... shortly before a bunch of greedy idiots claim his researches as their own and use them to develop a new weapon to make themselves rich, that is.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Realistically I see the Kalobi being smart to find a couple of a primitive, easily manipulated races and interigrate them into their society like the Son'a did, that way the members of the race are indoctorinated into believing that giving their dead to the Kolabi is the natural course of things, while the Kolabi use their technology to radically boost those species fertility races and health (but only so far).
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    I think they are one of the most interesting races we meet in the trek universe.
    It's an interesting idea that they need to reproduce this way, what with it being the result of an accident or whatever in the past. It opens up all sort of moral questions and that's what trek has always been good at.
    Is it right to use other people's dead to further your own population, when being without such methods leaves you to die out as a race.
    Using the Vadwaur in suspended animation was a bit iffy though, they really should have just given them up and avoided the war, or at least taken the moral high ground. There is a big difference between pickup up dead bodies in space and holding crying-pods full of living creatures hostage waiting for them to die off.

We might not like it but it's at least better than the Borg who don't even wait until you're dead before taking you.

"Waiting until you're dead" doesn't mean anything when they resurrect you anyway. You're going to the alive for the whole brainwashing thing either way. It's really worse than the Borg. Borg can be disconnected and retain their original mind.
  • ioneonioneon Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    I think that the Kobeelus are pretty sneaky with how they obtain the bodies. If I were a Kublini I would be more open about it and politely ask other species if they wanted a second chance at life as a Klomarix. Personally I wouldn't want to be a Koniad.
  • fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    "Hi, uh, we're the Kobali. We are what happens when you allow us to make your dead into UNDEAD! So would you please do us a favor and kill a bunch of Vaadwar? They're, uh, threatening us...yeah...nothing about needing billions of bodies..."

And even with this, they're not as bad as the Deferi.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • minababeminababe Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    From what i can figure it out from the story on the game and Voyager, they can't, just a one time deal...

Yeah, but what if there were Kobali Kobali? They would use dead Kobali to fill in their society...

And then there would Kobali Kobali Kobali, would use dead Kobali Kobali to fill in their society...

Ad infinitum. :D

*spits out soda*
    My Foundry Mission--Name: Falling Star | Mission ID: HQIH36HAW | Faction: FED
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User

True.
    But I don't see a moral issue; It's the survival of a species.
    They don't go on a killing spree to get new members and the person gets the chance of living a new life after dying and doesn't completely loose the person he/she once was.
    The only issue I can see is that they don't exactly ask if the person wants to live again, but considering they have free will afterwards and that most people don't want to die in the first place, it's not much of an issue.

True.
    But I don't see a moral issue; It's the survival of a species.
    They don't go on a killing spree to get new members and the person gets the chance of living a new life after dying and doesn't completely loose the person he/she once was.
    The only issue I can see is that they don't exactly ask if the person wants to live again, but considering they have free will afterwards and that most people don't want to die in the first place, it's not much of an issue.
    The person gets the chance to be brainwashed and is forced to completely abandon anything that happens to be left of the person he/she once was.

And assimilating people doesn't make them a species, any more than the Borg are.