test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unofficial Literary Challenge 26 Discussion Thread

aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User

This is the discussion thread for ULC #26: Love and Loss

As this my first time hosting these new prompts, please, as usual, be kind, polite, and respectful!

Comments

• Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    Interesting Prompts.

I look forward to seeing what people come up with, and I'll see if I can come up with anything, though I have a large backlog to deal with.
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Oh, this one's gonna be fun. I went to a very dark place for the last challenge, it'll be nice to do a lighter character piece.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Interesting set of prompts - still finishing up a part for last month but I'll start these ruminating.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    I've got nothing, but looking forward to what everyone comes up with B)
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Take Ael to meet Channery's folks. You're welcome.

Not every story needs to be a cataclysmic angsty thing...
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    starswordc wrote: »

Ael and Channery're well and truly split up, and I don't think their relationship ever got to the 'meet the parents' stage ;) I could do something about when Ael does get married (we met her husband in Shades of Madness) but to be honest, I'm a bit burned out at the moment, so will give this one a miss for now* B)

*might see how I feel later in the month, but no promises B)
  • Options

Ael and Channery're well and truly split up, and I don't think their relationship ever got to the 'meet the parents' stage ;) I could do something about when Ael does get married (we met her husband in Shades of Madness) but to be honest, I'm a bit burned out at the moment, so will give this one a miss for now* B)

Huh. Well, I lost track of Academy Daze after... I think it was the powered armor test scene, so I didn't see where they broke up.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options

Huh. Well, I lost track of Academy Daze after... I think it was the powered armor test scene, so I didn't see where they broke up.

It was shown in The Last Night on Earth with Shades of Madness covering some events after and before Academy Daze, and wrapping up Ael's life in the distant future B)
  • Options
    "The warrior's blood runs cold..." is still one of my favorite lines :DB)
  • Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    well...Did mine, ripped some sections from an earlier story to set it up, and it's not finished yet (Curse you, posting limits!!)

Portions of this LC were ripped from one of my earlier stories, "A Family Matter"-but there are added materials to this, focusing on Ngoc and B'Tama's relationship, her parents, and how such things are settled on a ship in-transit.

Hope it fits.

D'awwww... That was a really fun story, Patrick.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited August 2016
    well...Did mine, ripped some sections from an earlier story to set it up, and it's not finished yet (Curse you, posting limits!!)

Portions of this LC were ripped from one of my earlier stories, "A Family Matter"-but there are added materials to this, focusing on Ngoc and B'Tama's relationship, her parents, and how such things are settled on a ship in-transit.

Hope it fits.

I agree with StarSword. Nice one, Patrick. :)
    Post edited by takeshi6 on
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    "All's Fair in Love and War"

Cast:
    • Captain Kanril Eleya, CO, USS Bajor: Jennifer Hale
    • Commander Tesjha Phohl, XO, USS Bajor: Claudia Black
    • Lieutenant Commander Reshek Gaarra, operations officer, USS Bajor: Adam Baldwin
    • Colonel Reshek Tano, CO, Fifth Colonial Rangers Regiment: Stephen Lang
    • Gurek, son of Kriton, KDF officer: Columbus Short
    Post edited by starswordc on
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options

Cast:
    • Lieutenant Commander Reshek Gaarra, operations officer, USS Bajor: Adam Baldwin

Nice story, Starsword. :D
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options

Cast:
    Replicated uniform?? Eleya needs to up her status a bit and start getting good (as in tailored) clothes :D But a nice story B)
  • Options

Cast:
    Replicated uniform?? Eleya needs to up her status a bit and start getting good (as in tailored) clothes :D But a nice story B)
    You know, I just remembered my mom talking about having to pay to have all her Navy uniforms adjusted by a tailor. This was back in the early eighties before they started properly cutting them for women: she was basically wearing trousers sized for a small man and had to have the hip seams let out.

Only thing I'm worried about with this story, I'm not sure I translated "She-Devil of Hromi" correctly. tlhIngan Hol is a whole different animal grammatically from Spanish or Romulan (which still follows a structure reminiscent of a Romance language).
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    You know, I just remembered my mom talking about having to pay to have all her Navy uniforms adjusted by a tailor. This was back in the early eighties before they started properly cutting them for women: she was basically wearing trousers sized for a small man and had to have the hip seams let out.
    My first entry for the past ULC focused on that very scenario, with Ael having to have a uniform tailored to fit B)
    Only thing I'm worried about with this story, I'm not sure I translated "She-Devil of Hromi" correctly. tlhIngan Hol is a whole different animal grammatically from Spanish or Romulan (which still follows a structure reminiscent of a Romance language).
    As someone who doesn't speak Klingon (or Romulan) even if it wasn't a 100% perfect translation, the spirit and intent across fine B)

• Options

Hope it fits.

Nice one, patrick. - I'm not sure if this is posting, I need to read the other entry but I've been having posting problems for two days.

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    My first entry for the past ULC focused on that very scenario, with Ael having to have a uniform tailored to fit B)
    Yeah, I remember. Would've said something if I'd remembered back then.

Off-duty Eleya is a shorts and tank top girl, not overly concerned about her appearance unless she's deliberately dressing up. And like she said she'd rather be making the rounds of back-street bars than doing official functions.
    As someone who doesn't speak Klingon (or Romulan) even if it wasn't a 100% perfect translation, the spirit and intent across fine B)
    Well, my native language is US English but I speak some Spanish. Romulan is structurally not that different from a Romance (Latin-derived) language like Spanish or French (e.g. it still uses a subject-verb-object word order, and it even incorporates declining nouns like you do in Latin), but Klingon is very alien. It uses an object-verb-subject word order, and Marc Okrand deliberately designed the alphabet so that no one Earth language contained every sound in it. You can sometimes express whole phrases with just a root word and a string of suffixes, e.g. Wikipedia's example of vengHommeyqoqchajDaq, "in their so-called villages".

What I did with that phrase was take veqlargh ("devil" or "demon"; it's apparently a transliteration of Fek'Ihr) and add the suffix -be' (feminine form or negation depending on context, which I think says interesting things about Klingon views of women :tongue:), then transliterated "Hromi" to "HromI" and appended the suffix "Daq" (for location).

Hope it fits.

Nice one, patrick. - I'm not sure if this is posting, I need to read the other entry but I've been having posting problems for two days.
    It went through fine.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    Glad the posting's working - I liked the story- I suspect Eleya's ready to accept a posting to a different sector... :)

• Options
    Yeah, I remember. Would've said something if I'd remembered back then.

Off-duty Eleya is a shorts and tank top girl, not overly concerned about her appearance unless she's deliberately dressing up. And like she said she'd rather be making the rounds of back-street bars than doing official functions.
    My thinking on the situation, is that someone's uniform is initially tailored to fit, then re-scanned, and that scan used to create their ongoing replicator template B)

I wouldn't say Ael's that relaxed with her off-duty apparel, but in her habits etc, I'd have to compare her (at this point in her life) to Millie Macintosh, to give her a real-world comparison: Well-bred, kinda classy, but still capable of getting herself into stupid shenanigans while partying :D
    Well, my native language is US English but I speak some Spanish. Romulan is structurally not that different from a Romance (Latin-derived) language like Spanish or French (e.g. it still uses a subject-verb-object word order, and it even incorporates declining nouns like you do in Latin), but Klingon is very alien. It uses an object-verb-subject word order, and Marc Okrand deliberately designed the alphabet so that no one Earth language contained every sound in it. You can sometimes express whole phrases with just a root word and a string of suffixes, e.g. Wikipedia's example of vengHommeyqoqchajDaq, "in their so-called villages".

What I did with that phrase was take veqlargh ("devil" or "demon"; it's apparently a transliteration of Fek'Ihr) and add the suffix -be' (feminine form or negation depending on context, which I think says interesting things about Klingon views of women :tongue:), then transliterated "Hromi" to "HromI" and appended the suffix "Daq" (for location)
    I think you did a good job of it, and from a non-speaker's perspective, I thought it worked fine B)

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Okay, so I got corrected by a better speaker. It should actually be "HromIy veqlargh". "-Daq" refers to physical location, not origin, apparently.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    Please enjoy Mystery Dinner Theater on Risa, aka the most unimaginative name I could think of while posting the first of a three part story I'm writing to cover these three prompts. The first is for The Anniversary prompt, and took me a few tries rewriting it. Do tell me what you thought, as I found I came down with writers block at the end.
  • Options
    aten66 wrote: »
    Please enjoy Mystery Dinner Theater on Risa, aka the most unimaginative name I could think of while posting the first of a three part story I'm writing to cover these three prompts. The first is for The Anniversary prompt, and took me a few tries rewriting it. Do tell me what you thought, as I found I came down with writers block at the end.
    Feels like it's warming up nicely B) Looking forward to seeing Part II B)

• Options
    aten66 wrote: »

Enjoyable start! Nice set-up.

• Options
    knightraider6knightraider6 Member Posts: 396 Arc User
    Mine is up-though I cannot take sole credit. Being K'Tirr is Patrickngo's cat i got his input to make sure I had the Ferasan clan politics right-and as usual when the two of us are working on a project, a short story goes long-in this case, a visit by Rhonda Evans and her Caitian husband to Ferasa. hope ya enjoy.
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier." R.A.Heinlein

"he's as dangerous as a ferret with a chainsaw."

• Options
    Mine is up-though I cannot take sole credit. Being K'Tirr is Patrickngo's cat i got his input to make sure I had the Ferasan clan politics right-and as usual when the two of us are working on a project, a short story goes long-in this case, a visit by Rhonda Evans and her Caitian husband to Ferasa. hope ya enjoy.
    Suitably epic -- I'd expect nothing less B)
  • Options

Neat piece - I'm not sure I'd quite call it domestic, by our standards, but may qualify on Ferasa. :)

• Options

Very nice, Knightraider. :)

I especially liked the name Rhonda gave the child, and I agree - Q is going to be insufferable when he finds out. :D
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    code743code743 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    A short and very liberal take on the third prompt from me. The couple in question aren't actually married and the parents are only mentioned. Not sure why I felt the need for two of my characters to have a verbal boxing match, but that's the way it ended up on the page. *shrug*.