test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nitpick: Adm. Quinn is an Species 8472

anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
So it's confirmed: Admiral Quinn is a Species 8472...

I am currently playing Surface tension, and Quinn tries to convince me that I reported to him after Vega... My character never went to Vega.

Yea it's a nitpick, but still... Quinn should know?

I've pretty much just been F-mashing my way through missions, but have others found similar funny coincidences?
Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Your 23rd century character replaces a young officer who never returned from Vega.

Is this your personal head-canon or..? Because I don't remember that conversation.

Edit: Sorry, that kinda came out wrong... I've had a few beers and probably shouldn forum... Read the above with an extremely positive agenda.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    My 23rd century character was complimented on getting his first command by facing up to the Borg.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    Most likely in-universe reason: your character replaces a captain who faced the Borg but got their ship lost with all hands due to Na'kuhl interference, disrupting the timeline. Starfleet doesn't know that because Daniels "tricked" the timeline by having you replace this captain.

Most likely out-of-universe reason: The devs forgot some faction-related dialogues when making AoY, like this one.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    Most likely in-universe reason: your character replaces a captain who faced the Borg but got their ship lost with all hands due to Na'kuhl interference, disrupting the timeline. Starfleet doesn't know that because Daniels "tricked" the timeline by having you replace this captain.

I could, buy that... I really could... But... I flew a 23'd century starship...

We have to remove Quinn everyone.
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    What saurializard said is basically what I meant. As for the ship, Daniels does tell you your ship was destroyed in the cutscene.

I did not deny that... But I also asked if this was actually mentioned... ?
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    it's a massive game...they can't account for EVERY piece of dialogue - hell, i was actually surprised when one of the dialogue choices i had with walker during Stormbound referred to my AoY character as a temporal agent

or was it Time and Tide? i don't recall; it was one of those two​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    And what about Admiral Quinn doing a klingon impression in front of the 23c fed? It was hilarious and racist to me at the same time. It was tantamount to a white person doing an over the top black person impression.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    It's mentioned (and very obvious) that Daniels has set you up as a 25th century officer. A 25th century officer with a history, else you would not get the 25th C promotion as soon as you did.

It should not be necessary for the devs to have a scene recounting your 25th C false history. You can assume it includes fighting the Borg -- Vak'el Shon says so too when you meet him on DS9 in the Cardassian arc.
  • Options
    ... unless HE'S AN UNDINE TOO!!!!!!! eek!
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I'm not saying it's Iconians, but we might just be dealing with the machinations of the Demons of Air and Darkness.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    What's-her-face, the commander of RRW Lliasek, commented on how I got my first command after facing the Borg, so either we're in fact outnumbered by the Undine infiltrators (shades of the Far Side cartoon with all the wolves taking off their wool disguises, "What the - isn't anyone here a sheep?"), or that's all from a falsified report Daniels put into the system (in which case I must commend the Romulan Republic's intelligence service).​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Daniels: "We went ahead and gave you a "history" in the 25th century. Now go get changed before you meet the Admiral".

Instigator Kills'em'all: so, what's my new history?

Daniels...

Temporal Log, Instigator Kills'em'all: Shon and Quinn both keep speaking to me about killing Borg on Vega. I had no clue as to what they speak until I booted up an ancient simulator called "Star Trek Online" in the holodeck and played the "regular" federation tutorial. Then it all matched up, the incidents in that tutorial is what "made" my history...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Just shows they didn't go through it with a fine tooth comb. To make sure your AOY really fits in. This goes back to my argument over how a good portion of story writing is horrible.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Most likely out-of-universe reason: The devs forgot some faction-related dialogues when making AoY, like this one.

Or Daniels just used his 31st Century magic on Starfleet records to add you in at Vega and create a false identity. There is absolutely no need to replace a Captain that died at Vega.
  • Options
    farmallm wrote: »
    Just shows they didn't go through it with a fine tooth comb. To make sure your AOY really fits in. This goes back to my argument over how a good portion of story writing is horrible.

No, they just didn't add an extra screen of text after explaining you would be 25th C starfleet, to spoon feed you your new bio. The later episodes are fine as they are.

• Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    AoY characters never went to Vega but shhhh no one is supposed to notice that AoY characters are just federation rehash's
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,598 Arc User
    And what about Admiral Quinn doing a klingon impression in front of the 23c fed? It was hilarious and racist to me at the same time. It was tantamount to a white person doing an over the top black person impression.

do you mean when he sounded like J'mpok? yeah he did that when I hit Commander
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    No, they just didn't add an extra screen of text after explaining you would be 25th C starfleet, to spoon feed you your new bio. The later episodes are fine as they are.
    I think the devs did this so that players are free to RP their cover story as they see fit.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User

anazonda wrote: »

I could, buy that... I really could... But... I flew a 23'd century starship...

We have to remove Quinn everyone.
    I've been with you for years on this topic. I don't buy his BS either,
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    My 23rd century character was complimented on getting his first command by facing up to the Borg.

I thought this was funny too.. Romulan commander compliments me on the way I 'stood up to the Borg.' My Temporal Agent has no earthly idea what a Borg even is at this point. :)
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

I thought this was funny too.. Romulan commander compliments me on the way I 'stood up to the Borg.' My Temporal Agent has no earthly idea what a Borg even is at this point. :)

This one had me rolling too
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User

actually...s/he would, since daniels puts the player's character through an accelerated training course at the end of caleb 4 to bring them up to snuff for operation in the 25th century - and one of those things would include knowledge on all of 25c starfleet's enemies, including the borg​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited July 2016

actually...s/he would, since daniels puts the player's character through an accelerated training course at the end of caleb 4 to bring them up to snuff for operation in the 25th century - and one of those things would include knowledge on all of 25c starfleet's enemies, including the borg​​

Fair enough, maybe she's heard of the Borg. But Jarok tells her that she's aware of who she is because of the way she 'stood up to the Borg.' This is, of course, in reference to the stand off with the Borg that normally takes place in the Fed Tutorial which Temporal Recruits do not do.

So while my Temporal Recruit might know what a Borg is, she's never actually faced one at that point in the story, much less 'stood up' to them.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User

Almost every (if not literally every) movie has inconsistencies in how people are addressed, what people wear, how long candles burn etc. These are mistakes that should be avoided but always happen. That are movies which tell a predetermined linear story. Computer games often should account foir non linear elements, possibilities of short cuts etc., so they need to think of even more. Games which get changed will have even more problems. So yeah, oversights like that do happen, no matter how fine your comb. Two or five instances of inconsistency don't really prove "horrible writing". (Nor does that mean it always has to be "good writing")
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries