test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hikaru Sulu Has A Boyfriend

steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
edited July 2016 in Ten Forward

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Oh, I guess that means there will be no Demora Sulu in the Kelvin Timeline?

Or maybe there will. If they can cross-breed to different species that evolved on separate planets, giving a child to a TRIBBLE couple should not be that hard. (And then there was the DS9 episodes were to account for Nana Visitors pregnancy, they had Bashir transplant Keiko O'Briens baby in her, but he mentioned that there were two potential donors: He or Kira. It almost seemed choosing Kira was more due to practical concerns then biological concerns...)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • titansupremetitansupreme Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    REAL Sulu, who is ACTUAL TRIBBLE, isn't happy with this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-reacts-TRIBBLE-sulu-909154

PS: Why is Cryptic censoring out the word (begins with a G, has an A in the middle, and ends with a Y)? That isn't a swear word.

2821j4m.jpg
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    To make it more inconvenient for people to use it as a throwaway insult, I suppose. Makes sense, in a clumsy sort of way, but then everything about forum filters is clumsy.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    I can see why George Takei's not happy... He's said that Sulu was originally written as straight, and he played him as straight, and he'd told the writers and producers this... Had they simply created a new character, he would have praised it. But by making the change to an existing character (in a way which the Kelvin Timeline really should not affect) I can see why he's not pleased with things...

And as for the notion of confusion how two guys in a relationship can have children... Sir Elton John, Matt Bomer, etc... Things are possible... B)
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    REAL Sulu, who is ACTUAL ****, isn't happy with this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-reacts-****-sulu-909154

PS: Why is Cryptic censoring out the word (begins with a G, has an A in the middle, and ends with a Y)? That isn't a swear word.

I'm guessing because there are a lot of classless people on the internet who use that word in a very disparaging way, and those people tend to outnumber the people who don't.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    iconians wrote: »
    REAL Sulu, who is ACTUAL ****, isn't happy with this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-reacts-****-sulu-909154

I'm guessing because there are a lot of classless people on the internet who use that word in a very disparaging way, and those people tend to outnumber the people who don't.​​

If you ask me, the fact that the world itself, a word that my father proudly uses to identify himself, is censored is FAR more offensive than people using the word in an incorrect way.

Seeing people say idiotic things like "starfleet is g@%" just tells you how low their intelligence level is, I mean it doesn't even make sense, starfleet is not a living thing, it cannot be happy or homosexual, which are the only two definitions of the word. Censoring the word g.a.y could imply that people identifying as such are not welcome to be open about who they are.

Edit: oh and OP, this is a duplicate thread, this one was up first: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1218255/i-found-this-said-i-would-like-jj-trek-out-of-its-misery
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    valoreah wrote: »
    Does it really matter what any persons sexual preference is? I just don't get why this needs to be made into a huge deal.

The inclusion of openly g.a.y characters in major movies, shows, etc will ultimately help future generations of g.a.ys feel better about coming out, so I think it's generally a very good thing. Retconning existing characters to do it is just very poor writing though imho.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    And poor writing is synonymous with anything JJ Trek.

You spelt Voyager wrong.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    GeorgeTakei dose not give this his blessing, he said it wasn't part of Gene Roddenberrys vision so it shouldn't have happened.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    jtoon74 wrote: »
    GeorgeTakei dose not give this his blessing, he said it wasn't part of Gene Roddenberrys vision so it shouldn't have happened.
    Then we have to throw out the entirety of DS9, as Roddenberry also outlawed interpersonal conflicts among Starfleet personnel. And nobody from Starfleet ever goes rogue, either - if it looks like someone has, they're really operating on secret orders and all will be well by the end of the episode.

For that matter, if we're going by Roddenberry's original vision, we also have to abandon the Romulans, the name "United Federation of Planets", the Prime Directive (good riddance, I say!), and the concept of Starfleet Command, all of which were the inventions of Gene L. Coon and Dorothy Fontana.

And, as Simon Pegg points out, they're in a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't situation - create a new character, let it be known that he's homosexual, and they're "pandering". No way to win with some folks.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »
    Then we have to throw out the entirety of DS9, as Roddenberry also outlawed interpersonal conflicts among Starfleet personnel. And nobody from Starfleet ever goes rogue, either - if it looks like someone has, they're really operating on secret orders and all will be well by the end of the episode.

For that matter, if we're going by Roddenberry's original vision, we also have to abandon the Romulans, the name "United Federation of Planets", the Prime Directive (good riddance, I say!), and the concept of Starfleet Command, all of which were the inventions of Gene L. Coon and Dorothy Fontana.

And, as Simon Pegg points out, they're in a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't situation - create a new character, let it be known that he's homosexual, and they're "pandering". No way to win with some folks.​​
    Reductio ad absurdum... I'm no fan of George Takei by any stretch of the imagination (although I always thought Sulu was pretty badass) but if he says he played the character as straight (regardless of what Gene dictated) then that's the opinion we have to respect, because it literally is information 'from the horse's mouth', so to speak...

And as for Simon Pegg, they're not damned if they don't, because there was no need for them to make this statement about the character (and certainly not to release it prior to the film's release) but needlessly retconning a character like this, is just sloppy... Look how abysmally the retconning of Jack Harkness from pansexual in Doctor Who, to taking a decidedly g4y inclination by mid-run of Torchwood (despite John Barrowman stating in in interview that whilst he was g4y, Jack was not) and by Miracle Day, had degenerated into a slash fic-esque parody camp enough to make a Village People comvention look hetero... It wasn't good writing, and although I know this isn't the same writing team at work, my concern, is that the issue itself may be handled equally poorly...
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    edited July 2016

And with A LOT of Star Trek in general over the last 50 years (JJ Trek is no better or worse than the Star Trek that came before it.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."

And with A LOT of Star Trek in general over the last 50 years (JJ Trek is no better or worse than the Star Trek that came before it.)

JJ trek is a HELL of a lot better than Generations, Search for Spock, Nemesis, TMP, and Final Frontier, that's for sure. FYI that's my top 5 worst trek movie list, from bad to horrendous.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I support TRIBBLE characters, but I'm getting sick and tired of zero effect attempts at diversity in way that make no sense. Then when you call these people out on it, you call you a msygonist or homophobic, ect... they never want to admit that what went the laziest, lamest, least organic way to diversity that they can find.

George is ga'y, so lets make Sulu ga'y, even if he isn't originally is dumb.

I support TRIBBLE characters in star trek, always have, but do it intelligently.

But out of control PC culture brain farts again.

Hell with it, while I'm at it, I'm not going to see the new Ghost Busters either, not because they're female, but because they too stupid to come up with an intelligent reason for female ghost busters, like say the daughters of the original characters.
    lordgyor wrote: »
    Hell with it, while I'm at it, I'm not going to see the new Ghost Busters either, not because they're female, but because they too stupid to come up with an intelligent reason for female ghost busters, like say the daughters of the original characters.
    I gather that the reason, as if they needed one, is that this is not the same world that had a major spirit infestation of New York City in the 1980s. This is a reboot, not a sequel, and the characters are unrelated to anything that has gone before.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    I gather that the reason, as if they needed one, is that this is not the same world that had a major spirit infestation of New York City in the 1980s. This is a reboot, not a sequel, and the characters are unrelated to anything that has gone before.​​

The fact that it's a remake and not a sequel is why I personally hate it without having seen it yet. If the story was just slightly different, with Ray and Winston training the four ladies to take over the company, I'd be totally hyped for it, but nope, the sequel I've been dreaming of since I was a little kid will never happen.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    Honestly I should stop reading geek forums. Every time I see what they've posted, I wonder why I'm even in these kinds of fandoms.

And frankly George is being a little shortsighted.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I support **** characters, but I'm getting sick and tired of zero effect attempts at diversity in way that make no sense. Then when you call these people out on it, you call you a msygonist or homophobic, ect... they never want to admit that what went the laziest, lamest, least organic way to diversity that they can find.

George is ga'y, so lets make Sulu ga'y, even if he isn't originally is dumb.

I support **** characters in star trek, always have, but do it intelligently.

But out of control PC culture brain farts again.

"Sulu is homosexual, but it's not a big deal. So let's make a bunch of press releases and blog posts about how much it isn't a big deal and wait for somebody to point out our hypocrisy, then dogpile them for being insensitive homophobes."​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    Silly forum filter. As our Uncle George told us years ago, "It's Okay to be Takei."
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    Then we have to throw out the entirety of DS9, as Roddenberry also outlawed interpersonal conflicts among Starfleet personnel. And nobody from Starfleet ever goes rogue, either - if it looks like someone has, they're really operating on secret orders and all will be well by the end of the episode.​​

Uhh.....What? Nobody ever goes rogue? That happened multiple times in TOS and they weren't operating on 'secret orders' and every series including TOS had interpersonal conflicts to some degree or another

Uhh.....What? Nobody ever goes rogue? That happened multiple times in TOS and they weren't operating on 'secret orders' and every series including TOS had interpersonal conflicts to some degree or another

For tNG ot TOS. Roddenberry 360'd between the two.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

No rogues in TOS - worst they had was when Kirk had secret orders ("The Enterprise Incident") and when someone with no command experience pulled rank to steal the center seat while Kirk was incapacitated ("The Deadly Years").

And the "no interpersonal conflicts" thing was one of the more infamous directives Roddenberry issued in TNG, leaving writers tearing their hair out trying to come up with dramatic stories that didn't have any conflict. In the last couple of seasons, as Roddenberry had gone to the Great Bird, they were able to relax that rule a tiny trifle, but even then it was only in DS9 that they were able to have that happen.

(Apparently, Roddenberry actually wanted the Ent-D to function without a captain as such; instead, there would be a "leadership council" for the ship, and the bridge was supposed to look more like a fern bar. The three "couches" on the bridge, for the captain, first officer, and ship's counselor (!), and Picard's tendency to call committee meetings before any major decision, were the remaining influences of that.)​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Prime universe Sulu and Mirror universe Sulu both hetro, JJverse Sulu homosexual as a homage to George Takei who wasn't amused and disapproved of this decsicion. The PC brigade stupidity knows no bounds.
    I feel in this day an age where people think its "progressive" to alter race , gender and sexuality of esthablished fictional characters, its much better to create new ones, not irritate esthablished fan bases, I guess those people who get paid for this kinda thing just have no imagination.

If they wanted a new character introduce a new one, there are over 400 crew members on the Enterprise (maybe more in jj)
    I'm sure they could have invented one.
    Prime universe Sulu and Mirror universe Sulu both hetro,

[Citation needed]​​

#TASforSTO

edited July 2016

No rogues in TOS - worst they had was when Kirk had secret orders ("The Enterprise Incident") and when someone with no command experience pulled rank to steal the center seat while Kirk was incapacitated ("The Deadly Years").

And the "no interpersonal conflicts" thing was one of the more infamous directives Roddenberry issued in TNG, leaving writers tearing their hair out trying to come up with dramatic stories that didn't have any conflict. In the last couple of seasons, as Roddenberry had gone to the Great Bird, they were able to relax that rule a tiny trifle, but even then it was only in DS9 that they were able to have that happen.

(Apparently, Roddenberry actually wanted the Ent-D to function without a captain as such; instead, there would be a "leadership council" for the ship, and the bridge was supposed to look more like a fern bar. The three "couches" on the bridge, for the captain, first officer, and ship's counselor (!), and Picard's tendency to call committee meetings before any major decision, were the remaining influences of that.)​​
    John Gill... Fleet Captain Garth... Commodore Matt Decker... I'm sure there was also an episode where a rogue Starfleet captain tried to tell a bunch of primitives that Spock was the devil, because his heart wasn't in his chest (might not have been a captain, but it's sticking in my mind for some reason...) ;)
    Post edited by marcusdkane on