test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Enterprise J; the most advanced pancake of its kind

124»

Comments

• greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    If you look at where they connect, the connection points are at least as large as some other Starfleet ships.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    Which is cool. I like more diversity. But even the Enterprise-J has more of a Starfleet design than the Defiant does, in my opinion.​​
    IDK if you are sarcastic (again), but nonetheless i do agree with you.
    Apart from some strange proportions of the ship, it's at least not a 180° turn in design like the sovereign class, which has basically no relation to the previous two enterprises or any other Starfleet ship of its time (design wise). Even worse with the defiant, which could easily have been a Alien of the week ship as well.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    kelshando wrote: »
    I wondering why they didn't thicken the bottom of it as you really cant see any of that part of the ship in the diagram..

By "they" do you mean us (Cryptic) or them (Doug Drexler & co.)?

We (Cryptic) didn't thicken the bottom, because we followed the shape of the original model, which didn't have anything hanging conspicuously below the saucer.

I don't want to put words in Doug's mouth, but I'd guess that he didn't put anything down there because this ship is already huge, and he wanted it to feel much more smooth and streamlined. If the ship is already as tall as a Galaxy Class, do you really need to add a secondary hull element?

tacofangs wrote: »
    Ugh. I hate when future, unnecessarily floating things, float around.

"Here's our brand new, state of the art, hovering hospital gurney! Oh yeah, it bobs around a bit, so patients will lose their lunches. . . but it floats!"
    I dunno... TNG had anti-grav cargo pallets, so anti-grav stretchers make sense.

Huh? I'm not arguing against having anti-grav stretchers. I'm saying that I hate when people make an anti-grav stretcher bounce around, just to show that it's floating.

Same with cargo pallets. If your cargo pallet was swaying back and forth constantly, even by a couple of degrees, it would be much less useful. It would be difficult to put anything on, and you could never stack anything up very high because it would just fall off when the pallet swayed to one side.

I'm all for making cool looking future technology, but form follows function. You wouldn't make an anti-grav pallet that was unusable. You'd make one that way if it was stable. And you'd use a ground based pallet if the anti-grav one wasn't stable.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    I wondering why they didn't thicken the bottom of it as you really cant see any of that part of the ship in the diagram..

We (Cryptic) didn't thicken the bottom, because we followed the shape of the original model, which didn't have anything hanging conspicuously below the saucer.

I don't want to put words in Doug's mouth, but I'd guess that he didn't put anything down there because this ship is already huge, and he wanted it to feel much more smooth and streamlined. If the ship is already as tall as a Galaxy Class, do you really need to add a secondary hull element?

"Here's our brand new, state of the art, hovering hospital gurney! Oh yeah, it bobs around a bit, so patients will lose their lunches. . . but it floats!"

Huh? I'm not arguing against having anti-grav stretchers. I'm saying that I hate when people make an anti-grav stretcher bounce around, just to show that it's floating.

Same with cargo pallets. If your cargo pallet was swaying back and forth constantly, even by a couple of degrees, it would be much less useful. It would be difficult to put anything on, and you could never stack anything up very high because it would just fall off when the pallet swayed to one side.

I'm all for making cool looking future technology, but form follows function. You wouldn't make an anti-grav pallet that was unusable. You'd make one that way if it was stable. And you'd use a ground based pallet if the anti-grav one wasn't stable.

Do you know the back story of making this ship at all.

A CGI model of the ship was built by production illustrator Doug Drexler. According to Robert Bonchune, "From what I understand, it was done quick and dirty, so was not really detailed in any way like a model we would use in multiple shots." [1] Drexler himself explained, "With two days before a production meeting [I had] to think fast and not obsess… especially since I wanted [Production Designer] Herman [Zimmerman] to be able to show a rendered animation of the ship in flight [....] If we had a few weeks, it would have finalized differently. As it was, the model was bashed out in a matter of hours."

One concept for this type of ship that came under consideration was the Altair-class, which had previously been submitted (without being approved) for both the USS Voyager and Enterprise NX-01. Doug Drexler recalled, "I would sleek it somewhat, and rebuilt it in Lightwave. No luck that time either (although the engines would end up on the approved J ship)." [X]wbm A computer-animated sequence showing the exterior of this design while in spaceflight was generated while the idea of using it as the Enterprise-J was still being considered. (The sequence can be viewed herewbm). [X]wbm Once the approved Enterprise-J saucer section was mated with the Altair-class wingship, the design became known as the Congo-class, which turned out to be another unapproved runner-up for the eventual Enterprise-J design. [X]wbm "I opted for spindly nacelle struts because I felt it suggested a technology beyond what we were familiar with," Drexler explained. [X]wbm While designing the craft, he didn't have enough time to determine such aspects as the number of decks and the crew complement on board the ship.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited July 2016

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. The Enterprise J is sufficiently advanced.
    /

Whether or not technology is distinguishable from magic is entirely dependent on the level of advancement of the observers.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2016

Do you know the back story of making this ship at all.
    I am sure Tacofangs is totally clueless about any of this. :p

The back story however doesn't change that what we saw on screen is what became canon. That's how the Enterprise J looks, until CBS says otherwise.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User

Ah, right, That makes more sense than what I thought you said. Now that you mention it that was a plot point in TNG. Barclay was fixing the pallet because it didn't float smoothly.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • starshipserenitystarshipserenity Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    We all have different tastes, and Star Trek's starship "designs" are more fantastical than practical. These are good things.
    As for me, I prefer the more fantastical ships like Enterprise-J, and dislike the more practical ones like the Defiant-class.
    Through breaking waves and vicious storms /
    Against lightning's fury and thunder's scorn /
    Only through fire is order forged /
    WIth vibrant glory /
    A sword
    =/\=

I.S.S. Excalibur NCC-1664