test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] [INTERVIEW] Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 224: "Geko Dimensions"

midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
edited July 2016 in Starfleet Media Corps
Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 224: "Geko Dimensions" has warped on to Holosuite Media, you can download and stream it from:
Tribbles224.png

Joined by Al "Captain Geko" Rivera @crypticgeko the Lead Designer from Star Trek Online, the crew discuss the up-and-coming 3rd expansion Agents of Yesterday.

After the interview we go through this week's news from Star Trek Online (1:41:29), Fan Films (3:41:43 and 4:37:52), Star Trek Timelines (4:29:07) and our listener feedback (4:15:33).

Our community questions this week are:
1. What are your thoughts on the new Agents of Yesterday release?
2. What is your opinion of the restored Enterprise in the Smithsonian?

Please reply to this post with any feedback you have about any topic we've covered or even about the show in general, we'd love to hear what our listeners have to say. And feedback to us now and be entered in to a prize draw to get yourself a Star Trek Online Legacy of Romulus Starter Pack, Zen and Lockbox keys. Rules are here: http://holosuitemedia.com/tiefeedbackgiveaways2016/ - Just reply to this post to enter.

Please help friend of the show and fellow Star Trek Online player and podcaster Mav with donations to support his recovery with his current health situation here: http://www.gofundme.com/tomsrecovery.

LLAP

Comments

• alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Hello there, tribbles. Let's get some early feedback in.

Community questions:

1.) Well, it's not out yet and I didn't play on tribble, so we'll see if I can find the time to write up something (that would probably rival "War and Peace" in length).
    All I can tell you right now is:
    - I do look forward to Vic Mignogna and Chris Doohan and Walter Koenig. I am rather indifferent towards the guys who voice 07something and Daniels.
    - TOS is not my series, so fan-service won't distract me from dissecting the story. I fear that this is gonna get rather painful.

2.) I saw a few pictures and they looked nice, but seeing a picture of it and seeing it in person are two rather different things and for the foreseeable future I don't think I'll have the opportunity to take a closer look.

Well, Al answered my question as best as he understood it. (@sunseahl I will not lie, I was worried there for a moment.) Thank you for that. And I can kinda see where he's coming from. I'm not surprised that he sees no issues with the in-game story when even the story experts over at the GnT show thoroughly enjoyed it.
    So... my next STOrytime (I'm not sure when we can fit that one in...) will explain in great detail why Noye is not only NOT a compelling villain but why he could be used as a "How NOT to write a villain 101".

But, let's be real, the in-game story is far less interactive than a tabletop RPG. Even the often praised Old Republic tends to be a rather linear experience. Choices do not have as much of an impact as people want you to believe. BioWare Austin did not reinvent the (story) wheel.
    I liked the SW:TOR experience, because they gave you 8 different rather coherent class stories. But the following expansions (unsurprisingly) just could not keep delivering that amount of content.
    So the answer/explanation is appreciated, but does not quite cut it.

Still, I really enjoy this kind of interaction. Those last few interviews have been great. I like it when you can see or rather hear these people in action. When they get excited, what they enjoyed doing.
    It's too bad so many people out there take their words and either take them at face value (always use a grain of salt) to call them liars later on or twist these words to suit whatever agenda they are trying to push.

By the way, I was rather surprised when Katzu tried to defend the story and then, when talking about the klingons and how you are only as great as your adversary, he made my point for me. That is exactly the issue I have with the story.
    See, I understand that we are "the hero", "the chosen one", but turning everyone else (villains and allies alike) into a brain-dead, drooling moron is rather anti-climactic. It is possible, even necessary to pit people against semi-competent opponents. That's how you make people feel like a hero.

Let me repeat something I said before... During Time and Tide, the Krenim handled the hostage situation way worse than the Pakled when they took Geordi hostage. Yes, I just said that the Krenim were dumber than the Pakled. That did not make me feel like a hero. I did not liberate hostages, I extinguished an infestation. That was pest control.

I am not the hero that saves the federation/klingon empire/romulan republic/galaxy, I am a kindergarten teacher trying to stop the children from getting themselves killed. Or in case of the villains, I am the one trying to convince them to stop hitting the other children. The difference is, I almost always have to use deadly force. Because that is what Star Trek is about. Wait, what?
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    1.fascinating

2.yeah rub salt in the wound ,like i can go there in my lifetime

[Titan V silo]

PICARD: Isn't it amazing? This ship used to be a nuclear missile.
    DATA: It is an historical irony that Doctor Cochrane would use an instrument of mass-destruction to inaugurate an era of peace.
    (Picard feels the Titan V rocket)
    PICARD: It's a boyhood fantasy, Data. I must have seen this ship hundreds of times in the Smithsonian, but I was never able to touch it.
    DATA: Sir, does tactile contact alter your perception of the Phoenix?
    PICARD: Oh, yes. For humans, touch can connect you to an object in a very personal way. It makes it seem more real.
    DATA: I am detecting imperfections in the titanium casing. Temperature variations in the fuel manifold. It's no more real to me now than it was a moment ago.
    TROI: Would you three like to be alone?
  • xylylxylyl Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    I greatly appreciate Sunseahl's passing on to Captain Geko my nagging question of Vegemite being added to the replicator menu. Loved the responses. Since it is non-canon, the suggested course of action was to to contact JJ Abrams & Company to add it to a future episode of Star Trek.

For CBS, JJ Abrams, Cryptic and the Star Trek franchise powers-to-be: I submit a modest example of a potential future scenario:

Vegemite and Spam have been Down Under Virinat Romulan staples ever since they were introduced in relief supplies left by the Federation relief expedition which included relief vessels USS Melbourne, USS Brisbane and USS Perth, shortly after the Romulan home world destruction. The locals learned to duplicate them whereupon they became a regional favourite. However, the near universal disgust of Vegemite by most of the other Romulans as well as almost all of the sentient races in the galaxy may have been one of the main reasons for the Tal Shiar and Elachi to ravage Virinat to near extinction. :D

Jolan'tru & cheers... Captain Cybyl (aka OracleCybyl in Twitch chat)
    Thus spake Admiral Cybyl:  Alea iacta est. Ibis redibis,numquam per bello peribis. Ergo, per aspera ad astra!
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    xylyl wrote: »
    I greatly appreciate Sunseahl's passing on to Captain Geko my nagging question of Vegemite being added to the replicator menu. Loved the responses. Since it is non-canon, the suggested course of action was to to contact JJ Abrams & Company to add it to a future episode of Star Trek.

For CBS, JJ Abrams, Cryptic and the Star Trek franchise powers-to-be: I submit a modest example of a potential future scenario:

Vegemite and Spam have been Down Under Virinat Romulan staples ever since they were introduced in relief supplies left by the Federation relief expedition which included relief vessels USS Melbourne, USS Brisbane and USS Perth, shortly after the Romulan home world destruction. The locals learned to duplicate them whereupon they became a regional favourite. However, the near universal disgust of Vegemite by most of the other Romulans as well as almost all of the sentient races in the galaxy may have been one of the main reasons for the Tal Shiar and Elachi to ravage Virinat to near extinction. :D

Jolan'tru & cheers... Captain Cybyl (aka OracleCybyl in Twitch chat)

I like that :) Im an aussie too and love Vegemite as well. It needs to be in the game :)
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    @xylyl @foxman00 Have you forgotten the Utopia Planitia RP blogs? The human female there is New Zealander. Both Australia and New Zealand share the affinity for Vegemite. Also I believe Vegemite was mentioned in one of the Trek Novels. Destiny trilogy, I think... So it is possibly near-canon that the stuff exists.... And even if not. There has to be /some/ form of edible byproduct of making wines and spirits the galaxy over....

After all.... The Romulans of Virinat... quite literally made "Bug Juice" Khellid Wine. which now that I think about it would probably be closer to a Wine/Mead hybrid.

As for AoY.... YEA..... It has to wait a week before I eviscerate it... :/​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    1. I love TOS so I'm a bit underwhelmed by the size of the expansion. It just feels like my character was rushed through it.
    2. I was at the Smithsonian in the early nineties when they had a massive Trek exhibit. Even got to sit in the TOS captains chair! They had the Enterprise hanging from the ceiling next to the TMP Enterprise A all lit up. I'm so happy they are keeping it pristine!
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Okay, I played through the extended TOS tutorial (What do you mean? That was not an extended tutorial? It was a whole story arc? Mmh...) and those sprinkled-in "Yesterday's War" uhm... "story arc" (?) missions and the two missions that ended (?) the Temporal War. I cannot/will not review any of it, yet, because I want to play through it at least one more time (to take notes).

Extended answer to community question 1:

I will not spoil anything, so I'll be rather brief:
    At first I was like... okay, I don't like everything they've done and I'm not that big of a TOS fan, but they really did pay a lot of attention to detail. I can, and in this case do, appreciate that. Like I said when you interviewed ThomasTheCat, the artists keep outdoing themselves. Praise the art teams!

And then I kept on playing and there were moments here and there that made me go: "Guys? Remember this attention to detail thing you've been droning on about? Would have been nice if you had paid attention to this detail here. And that detail over there. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'."

And when all was said and done, I felt like: "Hey dude, where's my car?" Oops. Sorry, didn't pay enough attention to detail there. What I meant to say was: "Hey dude, where's my content?" And why don't we add some "Hey dude, where's my early 25th century immersion?" and some "Hey dude, where's the klingon and romulan stuff?"

@sunseahl You wanna eviscerate this expansion? Ladies first, I guess, because right now, I'd like to obliterate... annihilate... vaporize... EX! TER! MI! NATE! it.
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    I have been enjoying the first run through of this on live. But then, TOS is where I started with Trek.

With the Smithsonian getting the model up is great. But I doubt I will ever get to go to see it. Which is not great...

I do have to say that I get the feeling that a lot of their systems the setup (Alien gen, Outfits, etc...) are built without a thought to long term viability to alter or repurpose the work. The idea that it requires them to retag all of the parts per species seems overly complicated and limiting. But without more insight into how the engine and assets are setup as well as the base systems codes are laid out, it's hard to say what options they really had before them.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    Oh man. Epohh fighters on a Vengeance. I want Epohh hangar pets to be a thing now. Lead by Admiral Maria. "DON'T YOU WANT AN EPOHH FRIEND?"

1.) I like TOS but I wouldn't call myself the biggest fan. I'm not that far in but from what I've seen it's pretty fantastic. It's the little things that do it for me. The little sound effects that happen when you're clicking through on the UI, the beaming animation, the dozens of insignias, the Gorn, the redshirt dying immediately in the tutorial, all of it is pure fan service. I'm happy for all the bigger TOS fans out there.

2.) I always thought that the original TOS Enterprise looked a little dinky. (Sorry to all the fans out there. I prefer the refit.) However, seeing it restored was a sight that truly made me smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa79FmRRgJ0

She's the one that started it all, so I respect it. They did a wonderful job of the restoration. In fact, it's starting to grow on me. I hope I can get the chance of seeing it in person.
    SP9Pu.gif