Install Arc
Options

A Case for Star Trek: The Animated Series Content

Comments

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    jonsills wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    It was explicitly spelt out in the final episode that Kirk's 'world of Starship captains doesn't admit women'.
    That was "explicitly spelled out" by a woman who was suffering from a psychotic persecution complex, and who likely was rejected from command training due to psychological instability rather than gender. It's the only time such a concept was even mentioned.

Meanwhile, ST:TNG explicitly showed us female starship commanders, including one who was in charge of a Galaxy-class ship (in the episode with the neural parasites).​​

also showed us a female that supposedly beat the kobaiyashi maru w/o cheating.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I would prefer this to JJ-trek.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options

c7NJRa2.gif
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User

c7NJRa2.gif

Because both would involve me having to deal with JJ-trek in my Star Trek game.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    aphelionmarauderaphelionmarauder Member Posts: 184 Arc User

c7NJRa2.gif

I also am skeptical of JJ-Trek, but I am waiting until the new mission comes out to see how it all works. Possibly, this episode could fix everything that was wrong with the off set of JJ-Trek, or it could cement the divided sides. I say we let our friends at Cryptic studios have the benefit of the doubt. After all, they are our friendly neighborhood dev's. :)
    Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    c7NJRa2.gif
    Well there's your problem.... it's not YOUR game....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    c7NJRa2.gif
    Well there's your problem.... it's not YOUR game....

^this
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Oddly enough it's my Star Trek game too. But don't worry, I'll put an extra $20 in Cryptic's hands while thinking of you just so they know what a good call they've made :).
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User

c7NJRa2.gif

Good thing you don't make the decisions around here, eh? :)
  • Options
    nikeix wrote: »
    Oddly enough it's my Star Trek game too. But don't worry, I'll put an extra $20 in Cryptic's hands while thinking of you just so they know what a good call they've made :).

Give them $40 and send them a link to this article, and you will be fine.
    captsol wrote: »

c7NJRa2.gif

Good thing you don't make the decisions around here, eh? :)

Please, we are all trekies here. Save your phasers for the klingons. :)
    Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.
  • Options
    Rather than just say Yay/Nay to TAS content, what are the Actual Specific Things that would come out of this?

Episode referencing what great moments?
    New Species?
    New Uniforms?
    New Ships?
    New Consoles?
    New Ground Kits?
    New Weapons?
    New Traits?

What am I actually supposed to be backing if I were to throw money at this, Kickstarter style?
  • Options
    Rather than just say Yay/Nay to TAS content, what are the Actual Specific Things that would come out of this?

New Species?
    New Uniforms?
    New Ships?
    New Consoles?
    New Ground Kits?
    New Weapons?
    New Traits?

What am I actually supposed to be backing if I were to throw money at this, Kickstarter style?

Was being sarcastic towards your comment about the $20 dollars cause diffusing tension.

The point of it, like what Cryptic did with the rest of the story arc's, is take the best plot elements and have a connection to them. Most likely it would be one mission, new costume options, a few new weapons, and a new ship or two. Otherwise not much, simply cause TAS is only 22 episodes.

However, TAS is pretty freaking great!
    Support the movement!

• Options
    I think the biggest problem with trying to add TaS content is that TaS, being an animted show, had much more freedom to design some really weird looking things, and those things would honestly be pretty difficult to model in-game.

That's why the content would be small stuff, but enough to pay tribute to it in a way. Asking for an entire story arc/expansion would not work.
    Support the movement!

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2016

New Species?
    New Uniforms?
    New Ships?
    New Consoles?
    New Ground Kits?
    New Weapons?
    New Traits?

I think there is a lot of potential.

Places and planets visited
    Orion uniforms and ships
    Consoles/Traits based on technology seen in TAS
    Caitian hairstyles
    Survival belt EV suits
    Playable TOS ships (Bonaventure, D5)
    TAS aliens (those that can reasonable be added to STO of course. The three-legged, three-armed crewmember of the Enterprise whose name just slipped me cannot be added to STO without changing every single costume available and everything regarding the evil cats (Kzinti) is off limits due to some copyright hassle)

I mean this is asking essentially why a complete chapter of Star Trek canon should not be added to the game.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    I think the biggest problem with trying to add TaS content is that TaS, being an animted show, had much more freedom to design some really weird looking things, and those things would honestly be pretty difficult to model in-game.
    It's not THAT weird.... you have stuff like the pod ship, but really that was as weird as it really got visually.
    latest?cb=20061122043414&path-prefix=en
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Doctor Janice Lester was a paranoid ex-kirk-girlfriend, who was so deluded by being rejected (both by Kirk & Starfleet), that any thing she said in that episode, needs to be taken with a very large pile of salt, and not as fact.

Kirk simply knew that trying to talk her out of her delusions was folly and he just wanted to get his body and ship back.

Majel Barretts' character, "Number One" in the first pilot, showed that women were definitely included in the 'command track' of Star Fleet and after seeing that, anybody who doubts that there were Female Captains, is as delusional as Ms. Lester.

Making assumptions based on Omission, is not logical.
    B)

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Ok, that thing is neat and I want one. Complete with its lore-inspired weapon-system draining console.

And I'm not asking 'should it be done?' It's been AGES since I've seen the cartoon and was wondering if anyone could list off tangible benefits to be extracted rather than just a vague "oh, Cryptic'll figure it out". I find concrete proposals a lot easier to shepherd into their attention than "Hey, I'd like you to just do a ton of work I haven't really thought through at all..." :)
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    320x24010.jpg​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    320x24010.jpg

As cheesy as those look, I'd prefer those costumes to the vision that all orions are half naked all the time.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2016
    Harrad-Sar has a more practical leather coloured version.

latest?cb=20060925112414&path-prefix=en

Whilst we're on uniforms...

customizedromulanAS.jpg​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    320x24010.jpg

As cheesy as those look, I'd prefer those costumes to the vision that all orions are half naked all the time.​​

I want their ship interior.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    ellyashtearellyashtear Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    D.C. Fontana said it's canon and that's good enough a reason for me... really people watch the bonus stuff on TAS DVDs... it has neat stuff like that interview with D.C.Fontana where she states it's canon and the 4th & 5th years... it explains all the pink used in it, it was accidental, the character designer was colorblind, he wanted a different shade of grey... check out the bonus material from TAS DVDs it's really interesting stuff and a good case for it's inclusion...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    D.C. Fontana said it's canon and that's good enough a reason for me... really people watch the bonus stuff on TAS DVDs... it has neat stuff like that interview with D.C.Fontana where she states it's canon and the 4th & 5th years... it explains all the pink used in it, it was accidental, the character designer was colorblind, he wanted a different shade of grey... check out the bonus material from TAS DVDs it's really interesting stuff and a good case for it's inclusion...

It already is pig-1.gif 2006 CBS stated via Startrek.com that they rgret removing it from canon and put it back with the DVD release. Then, in 2007, Paula Block who worked in CBS licensing stated that every piece of small screen broadcast and big screen released Trek continbuity, including TAS, is canon. Of course there are some conflicts, TAS cannot be taken without a bit out-of-universe damage control (animation and colouring errors, mainly) but it's part of the continuity.

People that still fight the canonicity of TAS merely do so because of personal spite and/or a misunderstanding about what "canon" actually means.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    16m4wv.jpg

The main flaw with adding Edosians that I can see besides the animation difficulties is all the PvPers who would demand being able to triple-wield weapons in all three hands and the resulting nerf threads. ;)
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Maybe I'm just silly I think the case about TAS and AoY is not about canon, it's feel and look. TAS really went a bit wilder than TOS when it came to a lot of things. A 0.5 mini season that has a bit of TAS flavor could be good.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Yeah, there's no reason They can't add bits of TAS in later updates.
    They just said that for this expansion, They (mostly) stuck to the three live-action seasons of the Original Series.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Id be cool woth tas content but i think this should be at minimal a runner up for longest post ever :)
This discussion has been closed.